PDA

View Full Version : New York and New Jersey might get the big one!

Pages : [1] 2

KK4AMI
10-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Hurricane Sandy, an artic blast from the North and a winter storm from the west are threatening to meet up over the East Coast to form the perfect storm. Batten down the hatches and antennas folks, I think we are in for a big one!

n2ize
10-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Figures... more shitty weather.

N2NH
10-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Hurricane Sandy, an artic blast from the North and a winter storm from the west are threatening to meet up over the East Coast to form the perfect storm. Batten down the hatches and antennas folks, I think we are in for a big one!

Yep. Pretty much. We're set up as best we can here. The last time they got hit in this area I was told that it flooded up quite a bit and new waterfalls were created as the runoff came down the mountains. I think this will be a coastal storm this time. I wouldn't want to be in NYC when it hits. You don't need a hurricane or Tropical Storm to cause storm surges that will shut down the subways. 90% of the people there don't have cars. 4 of the 5 boroughs are islands and the Bronx has a lot of cliffs. Between that and the bridges and tunnels, the city will be shut down. With this kind of storm, probably much worse.

I know we didn't do as bad as expected two years ago, but I still had to evacuate.

Hopefully they dodge the bullet, but it doesn't look good.

n2ize
10-25-2012, 05:30 PM
This is severe. And hopeless. The severe winds of Brooklyn and Manhattan are bad enough. Brooklyn will get the worst of it. I have been knocked over by 100 mph Broooklyn crosswinds on calm days. A hurricane + an arctic front barreling down on Brooklyn will create severe winds, tornadoes. and heavy damage. Manhattan, Brooklyn and The Bronx will probably be shut down for months following this Frankenstorm.

I remember when we had the severe nor'easter of 1992. I was working in a skyscraper in Manhattan and we were evacuated. The building was swaying wildly in the wind. Objects were flying off tables and I could feel the building shifting several feet from side to side like a pendulum. Off in the distance I could see dark ominous black funnel clouds over the east river and flashes of lightning.. The subways were tunnels full of water and were wiped out. I could have used my SCUBA gear that day. Even my home was battered that day. Debris was flying down the street propelled by 100+ mph winds. Venturing outside was a death sentence. We were bogged down for at least a week. Power in many areas was wiped out. It took months to route new poles and lines and restore power to the majority of the northeast. And this was just a nor'easter. Imagine what this storm is going to do !!!!!!!!! It may take years to dig out of this if we can at all.

And this is directly related to climate change.

KK4AMI
10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
This is the Website I always use to determine if I should haul our boat out. They have been pretty reliable. Seems we may luck out. :pray::pray::pray:

http://www.hurricanecity.com/?utm_source=Hurricane+Sandy&utm_campaign=Hurricane+Sandy&utm_medium=email

N7YA
10-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Dont quote me on this, but i am willing to bet $1000 that somewhere, an old timey preacher is telling his flock that NY/NJ is getting this because god is punishing them for allowing a bunch of stuff that the preacher doesnt like....that, and just because its New York and good, god fearing christians arent supposed to like New York. Just a thought...could be wrong....:whistle:

n2ize
10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Dont quote me on this, but i am willing to bet $1000 that somewhere, an old timey preacher is telling his flock that NY/NJ is getting this because god is punishing them for allowing a bunch of stuff that the preacher doesnt like....that, and just because its New York and good, god fearing christians arent supposed to like New York. Just a thought...could be wrong....:whistle:
You know it !!! Well, much like Los Angeles, and San francisco, New York is a bastion of liberal sinners. So, any harm that comes to us is deserved. It is the wrath of the LAWD!!

KK4AMI
10-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Could be less complicated then that. God is just voting absentee. He is a Republican if Sandy hits NYC and a Libertarian if Sandy comes into Virginia and hits DC. I don't know where he would hit to show he was a Democrat. That would probably have to be a national disaster. :lol:

N8YX
10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
If the system shifts its track a little more to the west and the center of circulation passes centrally through PA, Ron and Co. are projected to receive as much as 3 feet of snow.

This ain't gonna be pretty.

KK4AMI
10-25-2012, 05:56 PM
You know it !!! Well, much like Los Angeles, and San francisco, New York is a bastion of liberal sinners. So, any harm that comes to us is deserved. It is the wrath of the LAWD!!

Can we get an Amen, brothers and sisters?

W8XLR
10-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Can we get an Amen, brothers and sisters?

I'll give an AMEN, a HALLELUYAH, and a PRAISE BE, Brother Michael!!:bowdown:

KG4CGC
10-25-2012, 06:07 PM

You were asking for it. Some places storm easy. If it's legitimately deserved, there are ways of shutting the whole thing down.

n2ize
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
You were asking for it. Some places storm easy. If it's legitimately deserved, there are ways of shutting the whole thing down.

Much to the conservatoive teabaggers dismay, women can shut down the pregnancies of rape. Thus liberal areas can shut down the impacts of bad weather. Unfortunately for our conservative teabagger friends they will have to take the full wrath of what the LAWD doles out. They have no "shutdown mechanism".

kb2vxa
10-25-2012, 06:29 PM
A fool came around tried to clean up this town
His ideas made some people mad
But he trusted in his crowd
So he spoke right out loud
And they lost the best friend they ever had

This old hur'cane gonna leave me in the poorhouse
It seems like this whole town's insane
On the thirty-first floor your gold-plated door
Won't keep out the Lord's burning rain

KC2UGV
10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm wondering if this will be like our October Surprise (Lake Storm Aphid), or, a big disappointment.

KK4AMI
10-26-2012, 04:57 AM
I'm wondering if this will be like our October Surprise (Lake Storm Aphid), or, a big disappointment.

In this case I'd be happy for a big disappointment. Is that being an optimist or pessimist, I dunno?

KC2UGV
10-26-2012, 06:37 AM
In this case I'd be happy for a big disappointment. Is that being an optimist or pessimist, I dunno?

I somewhat enjoyed the October Surprise. I got about 4 inches (A normal snow for here). Less than a mile away? 3 feet in a day, and 2 inches of ice on trees, which caused them all to collapse.

I was working from home for a week during that. It was, enjoyable. This time, I don't think I'll be as lucky though. Now, I live on a side street, in a snow-heavy section of the city (Under the general area where lake effect belts set up at), and there are plenty of trees on the street.

N2CHX
10-26-2012, 06:49 AM
I somewhat enjoyed the October Surprise. I got about 4 inches (A normal snow for here). Less than a mile away? 3 feet in a day, and 2 inches of ice on trees, which caused them all to collapse.

I was working from home for a week during that. It was, enjoyable. This time, I don't think I'll be as lucky though. Now, I live on a side street, in a snow-heavy section of the city (Under the general area where lake effect belts set up at), and there are plenty of trees on the street.

Glad it was enjoyable for you! You didn't have the task of keeping the 1960's vintage generator for the ONLY news outlet in town running as well as 16 other transmitters on the air during that mess.

W9WLS
10-26-2012, 06:49 AM
HALLELUYAH, HALE MARY, and PASS THE PLATE Y'ALL amen !

KC2UGV
10-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Glad it was enjoyable for you! You didn't have the task of keeping the 1960's vintage generator for the ONLY news outlet in town running as well as 16 other transmitters on the air during that mess.

You had to keep WIVB's generators online during that?

:rofl:

N2CHX
10-26-2012, 07:06 AM
You had to keep WIVB's generators online during that?

:rofl:

Nice. Radio news, ya dork. Although one of my FM's site shared with IVB.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Last years "October Surprise" did a lot of tree damage around here. We got a large amount of extremely heavy wet snow that rapidly accumulated on the trees which were still laden with leaves. Then all it took were many hours of strong winds and large branches started cracking right and left snapping cables, damaging cars, homes, etc..It also left behind at least 4 inches of heavy wet snow that melted very rapidly as the temps reverted back to balmy a few days later.

This storm seems like it is going to be mostly (or all) rain in this area so tree damage may not be nearly as bad. It will have a lot to do with how hard any wind gusts may be. Last year when hurricane Irene hit we didn't suffer much damage here. Main problem was flooding in some low lying and poor drainage areas. matter of fact we've had Nor'easters in this area that have done far greater damage.. Inland and higher elevations may get quite a bit of snow.

TESLA
10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
http://youtu.be/4RdmkHTWQzg

N2NH
10-27-2012, 03:21 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2wohw7s.jpg

N8YX
10-27-2012, 03:22 PM
I've already started getting a sinus headache as a result of the pressure drop - and it's how far away from me at the moment...?

N2NH
10-27-2012, 03:44 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/9svtd1.jpg

N7YA
10-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Holy crap! That thing is going right over my moms house. All you 2's and 3's stay safe!

N2NH
10-27-2012, 03:49 PM
I've already started getting a sinus headache as a result of the pressure drop - and it's how far away from me at the moment...?

These storms can be huge. I remember flying through Alberto in 2006. That was a very large storm. We didn't break out of the solid upper deck of clouds until we hit Washington DC with the storm off the coast of Tampa at the time. This despite being up 43,000 feet. We could see lightning flashing in the clouds around us for 15-20 minutes upon reaching altitude. Even after breaking out of the clouds, we could see that there were lower level clouds as far as the eye could see to the north-west. We were actually high enough up to see the curvature of the earth, that space was black over us with a few stars at 3PM.

n2ize
10-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Pressure here is high and showing fair weather on my barometer. But that will be going down soon. The change that is approaching is affecting my anxiety disorder which is much more sensitive than any barometer. . Normally I can keep it under control but I have had a few anxiety attacks over the past 24/48 hrs.

n2ize
10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
These storms can be huge. I remember flying through Alberto in 2006. That was a very large storm. We didn't break out of the solid upper deck of clouds until we hit Washington DC with the storm off the coast of Tampa at the time. This despite being up 43,000 feet. We could see lightning flashing in the clouds around us for 15-20 minutes upon reaching altitude. Even after breaking out of the clouds, we could see that there were lower level clouds as far as the eye could see to the north-west. We were actually high enough up to see the curvature of the earth, that space was black over us with a few stars at 3PM.

I remember we passed through a storm half this size coming up the east coast, back in the 1990's. It may have been part of the infamous and deadly "Halloween storm". We nearly crashed but made it into LaGuardia safe. The storm flung our plane into New York City like it was a kiddie toy. It was clear and calm in NYC when we landed but... the next day... Oy Chihuaua @!!!What a storm !! Heavy rain and wind gusts for 4 days. Then we got the infamous December storm after that. 6 days of brutal rain, wind, and snow. I won't even get into the coastal flooding.

N2NH
10-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Pressure here is high and showing fair weather on my barometer. But that will be going down soon. The change that is approaching is affecting my anxiety disorder which is much more sensitive than any barometer. . Normally I can keep it under control but I have had a few anxiety attacks over the past 24/48 hrs.

No anxiety here. Maybe a slight worry. Prayer does have its good points. Things have a way of working out. Now if I was inside the city limits, especially on one of the island boroughs, I would worry a little bit more. It would be easy to be cut off from the rest of the state and country if the storm draws a bullseye.

The Barometer was showing Partly Cloudy and we've been overcast since Monday.

n2ize
10-27-2012, 07:31 PM
No anxiety here

I should hope not. I have suffered from anxiety disorder on and off since my early 20's. It's just one of those things. Normally I keep it well under control but sometimes it builds for no reason. Of late with all the negative depressing politics and all the gloom in the world it has been acting up again.. I am the type who assumes the worst case scenarios. For example, if I am waiting for someone and they show up late I automatically assume that something terrible must have happened. It's crazy I know but I guess its how I am hard wired.

TESLA
10-27-2012, 07:43 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2iktg1v.png

n2ize
10-27-2012, 07:45 PM
The Barometer was showing Partly Cloudy and we've been overcast since Monday.
It's always overcast on the east coast. Low humidity on the east coast is 70%

KC2UGV
10-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Figures. The rain barrel I installed today is already filled... I wish I took the time to install a cistern now.

kb2vxa
10-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Governor Lardass declared a state of emergency which opened the door for OEM panic and they did it again. I'm under an evacuation order and must leave by 4:00pm Sunday and here I sit with no place to go and am calling and e-mailing frantically. So far no luck but there is hope eternal, the OEM robot is calling residents urging alternative shelter to the few available that my not be able to accommodate all seeking shelter. Oh lovely, Nanny is unprepared as usual, force me out and not so much as wish me luck. If the power doesn't fail you'll be hearing from me by Thursday, if not who knows?

n2ize
10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Governor Lardass declared a state of emergency which opened the door for OEM panic and they did it again. I'm under an evacuation order and must leave by 4:00pm Sunday and here I sit with no place to go and am calling and e-mailing frantically. So far no luck but there is hope eternal, the OEM robot is calling residents urging alternative shelter to the few available that my not be able to accommodate all seeking shelter. Oh lovely, Nanny is unprepared as usual, force me out and not so much as wish me luck. If the power doesn't fail you'll be hearing from me by Thursday, if not who knows?

Sorry to hear this news. If I am not mistaken you are on the South Jersey coast and this storm is basically supposed to make landfall there. Yeah, sometimes its hard to know what is worst, the storm or Nanny and Lardass looking out for your best interests.

N2NH
10-27-2012, 10:44 PM

Good luck Warren. I had to evacuate during Irene last year. Spent two nights in an emergency shelter. Left at about 6, caught a bus on Columbus Ave headed downtown and then transferred to the 14th St Crosstown. Just like nothing had happened.

Things get back to normal pretty quickly. It's just getting over the hump that sucks.

N2NH
10-27-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812W5_NL+gif/031332W5_NL_sm.gif
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoom/Rainfall_Days_1-5.gif

N2NH
10-27-2012, 11:36 PM
It looks like it is on a more northerly track now than the 2PM map. That little jog north will make it more of a threat to NYC than it was before.

KK4AMI
10-28-2012, 05:43 AM
My model reference shows it coming in over Atlantic City now. We seem to be on the outside edge. They are just predicting 30 to 40 MPH winds and 1 to 4 inches of rain. It's strange, all my oak leaves decided to drop off of my trees on Saturday. I kinda hope the winds push all the leaves into the woods. Everybody in the path stay safe and hang on to your antennas!

KK4AMI
10-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Weird. My county just issued an edict to allow "In Person Absentee Voting" for the Elections. Everybody gets to vote early in case storm damage and power outages prevents them from going out on normal voting day.

n2ize
10-28-2012, 09:57 AM
It looks like it is on a more northerly track now than the 2PM map. That little jog north will make it more of a threat to NYC than it was before.
Looks bad. I feel sorry for anyone in Brooklyn or Manhattan island. This may cripple midtown for months.

n2ize
10-28-2012, 10:00 AM
My model reference shows it coming in over Atlantic City now. We seem to be on the outside edge. They are just predicting 30 to 40 MPH winds and 1 to 4 inches of rain. It's strange, all my oak leaves decided to drop off of my trees on Saturday. I kinda hope the winds push all the leaves into the woods. Everybody in the path stay safe and hang on to your antennas!

Antennas are doomed. No antenna is going to withstand this storm. Winds are already whipped up to 25 mph max gusts.

N2NH
10-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Watching the news from NYC. They are enforcing a mandatory evacuation of what they call 'zone A'. I lived in that zone last year and the emergency shelters fill up fast. I ended up 6 miles away due to evacuating a bit on the late side.

Mayor Mikey sez that NOAA has upgraded the Tidal Surge on the Coast and it will be a few feet higher than the 4-8 foot max they've been predicting. I knew that was overly optimistic when I saw it. Looks like it will be closer to 12-15 feet. Wonder if Wall Street is going to get hit. They're in a low-lying area. There's a lot of computers and databases in that area.

Last Subways run at 7PM tonight, last buses at 9PM. The entire mass transit system is shutting down, like during Irene. Mayor Mikey is exhausted. That didn't happen during Irene. This looks very bad.

N2NH
10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812W5_NL+gif/152346W5_NL_sm.gif
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoom/Rainfall_Days_1-5.gif

kb2vxa
10-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Here's the latest update and my last post for a while being under mandatory evacuation. I have no idea what conditions will be like when I return possibly Wednesday so if power is out it may be a while. In New York the MTA will begin a system wide shutdown at 7:00pm today, the duration is unknown and resumption will be a lengthy process in any case. That means subways, buses, the LIRR and Metro North, bridges and tunnels will be decided on a case by case basis. The decision to shut down New Jersey Transit has yet to be made but expected as it was for Irene.

"Everybody in the path stay safe and hang on to your antennas!"
I'll wave as they go by but which one is Mary Poppins?

n2ize
10-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Here's the latest update and my last post for a while being under mandatory evacuation. I have no idea what conditions will be like when I return possibly Wednesday so if power is out it may be a while. In New York the MTA will begin a system wide shutdown at 7:00pm today, the duration is unknown and resumption will be a lengthy process in any case. That means subways, buses, the LIRR and Metro North, bridges and tunnels will be decided on a case by case basis. The decision to shut down New Jersey Transit has yet to be made but expected as it was for Irene.

The scariest part of these storms is often not the storm itself but the politicians and "decision makers". Remember, it is not just about safety but also about generating revenue. "Mother Nature" is considered a terrorist threat these days.

N2NH
10-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Best of luck Warren. Hope all goes well. Take care, this is a very dangerous storm.

NYC OEM is saying this will be a 48 hour storm. The worst surge will hit the New Jersey Coast, New York City and South Long Island. LIPA on Long Island is saying power will be out 7 to 10 days and they're mulling mandatory evacuation. Anyone who saw the aerial pix of Long Island after the Long Island Express Hurricane of the 30s would never move there. The island was cut in half with a 30 mile wide flood zone. Funny, just after I wrote this, the Governor of Connecticut mentioned Sandy in connection with this. It shouldn't be quite as bad.

The Long Island Express 1938 (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/1938-atlantic-hurricane-long-island-express/nSqB5/)

n2ize
10-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Winds are down to 9 mph with some gusts to 17 as the death storm approaches.

n2ize
10-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Best of luck Warren. Hope all goes well. Take care, this is a very dangerous storm.

NYC OEM is saying this will be a 48 hour storm. The worst surge will hit the New Jersey Coast, New York City and South Long Island. LIPA on Long Island is saying power will be out 7 to 10 days and they're mulling mandatory evacuation. Anyone who saw the aerial pix of Long Island after the Long Island Express Hurricane of the 30s would never move there. The island was cut in half with a 30 mile wide flood zone. Funny, just after I wrote this, the Governor of Connecticut mentioned Sandy in connection with this. It shouldn't be quite as bad.

The Long Island Express 1938 (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/1938-atlantic-hurricane-long-island-express/nSqB5/)
I think this will take out most of the major bridges lining NYC to the rest of the world.

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I think this will take out most of the major bridges lining NYC to the rest of the world.

Which will make Manhattanites happy.

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
All you folks on the Highway to the Danger Zone, please take care and be safe. Err on the side of your safety. Most everything else can be replaced.

N2NH
10-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Which will make Manhattanites happy.

Until Whole Foods runs out of everything...

N2NH
10-28-2012, 01:36 PM
USGS Hurricane Sandy Storm Tide Mapper (PAGE HERE - LINK) (http://54.243.149.253/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=c07fae08c20c4117bdb8e92e3239837 e)

SCREEN SHOT of Page (http://i49.tinypic.com/zkmr7c.jpg)

N2NH
10-28-2012, 01:46 PM
... seeing that it is being influenced by two nearby weather systems along with the full moon and it's higher tides, this is a worst case scenario of flooding by storm surge...

http://photos.mongabay.com/06/1025hurricane-nyc.jpg

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Until Whole Foods runs out of everything...

There's always half foods, eh?

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 02:14 PM
And for those of us who don't know the NYC area that well, I made up this egregious violation of Google's copyright:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/inundationmap.png

W2NAP
10-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Here's the latest update and my last post for a while being under mandatory evacuation

evacuate? naa I wouldnt evacuate id fill up the auto with gas. get the video camera ready. and ride shit out video taping the entire thing

N2NH
10-28-2012, 02:29 PM
There's always half foods, eh?

Oh gawd, half-filled supermodels, drag queens and drama queens. That's worse than surviving this storm. Take me.

N2NH
10-28-2012, 02:35 PM
And for those of us who don't know the NYC area that well, I made up this egregious violation of Google's copyright...

Thank you. I am very knowledgeable about the city, but that even makes it clearer for me. They had a Nor'easter in '92 and it nearly destroyed the subway system. This could be as bad or worse. The stations in New York are making that abundantly clear.

Glad I'm up here. We'll get hit and I might be down for awhile because of blackouts and internet service disruptions, but we're not likely to be cutoff the way the city will. Got the message in April and got out of Dodge. The predictions show it going around us, so we'll likely only get the tail.

N2NH
10-28-2012, 02:39 PM

This is a page with the times of the tides in the NYC area. I'm pretty sure if you scroll down a bit, you can go right down the coast to the New Jersey shore. The page I linked to shows The Narrows. That is the bottleneck where the water has to get through to get to the Upper New York Bay and Manhattan. Traditionally The Narrows have protected the city from other extreme weather. Based on the angle that the surge is coming, it might not do it this time. As a kid, we had two hurricanes hit in 1955. The city staggered for a few weeks before getting back to normal. Times Square was flooded.

LINK PEDIGREE. (http://www.tides.info/?command=view&location=Fort%20Wadsworth%2C%20The%20Narrows%2C%20 Staten%20Island%2C%20New%20York)

KJ3N
10-28-2012, 02:54 PM
According to this local map, the center will pass about 2-3 miles to the south of me.

The red line at the top is the DE/PA line. The red dot is me. The purple line is Sandy.

VE7DCW
10-28-2012, 02:55 PM
This storm is being called "the perfect storm" in some media reports and conditions to allow this type of system supposedly happens once every few decades.....they're saying up to 60 million people will be effected in some way shape or form by this big one..... all I can say is be safe everyone,and let's hope it gets over and done with very quickly with as little damage as possible .... :-|

n2ize
10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
This is a page with the times of the tides in the NYC area. I'm pretty sure if you scroll down a bit, you can go right down the coast to the New Jersey shore. The page I linked to shows The Narrows. That is the bottleneck where the water has to get through to get to the Upper New York Bay and Manhattan. Traditionally The Narrows have protected the city from other extreme weather. Based on the angle that the surge is coming, it might not do it this time. As a kid, we had two hurricanes hit in 1955. The city staggered for a few weeks before getting back to normal. Times Square was flooded.

LINK PEDIGREE. (http://www.tides.info/?command=view&location=Fort%20Wadsworth%2C%20The%20Narrows%2C%20 Staten%20Island%2C%20New%20York)
I think this is far worst. We will be seeing gusts up to 75-80 mph. Right now I am hearing seagulls over my house. Seagulls rarely come this far inland. I think this storm might destroy the Brooklyn and Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges. No way those bridges can tolerate gusts of this magnitude.

n2ize
10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
This storm is being called "the perfect storm" in some media reports and conditions to allow this type of system supposedly happens once every few decades.....they're saying up to 60 million people will be effected in some way shape or form by this big one..... all I can say is be safe everyone,and let's hope it gets over and done with very quickly with as little damage as possible .... :-|

I thought we already had the "perfect storm" back in the 1990's ? I would say that the entire population of the east coast from at least Virginia to Maine will be affected in one way or another.

TESLA
10-28-2012, 04:15 PM
http://youtu.be/sxdmw4tJJ1Y

N2NH
10-28-2012, 04:15 PM
I think this is far worst. We will be seeing gusts up to 75-80 mph. Right now I am hearing seagulls over my house. Seagulls rarely come this far inland. I think this storm might destroy the Brooklyn and Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges. No way those bridges can tolerate gusts of this magnitude.

No seagulls here, but one of the 'weather people' said that there's gale warnings on every coast of the Great Lakes, all 5 of them. He said at the time that this has never happened. Then again, this storm is very big, the biggest on record (another factoid). It is not taking the usual route either. It is actually heading North-West rather than North-East. I guess there's a first time for everything. I think the bridges will stand if the winds don't gust over 100 MPH. But I wouldn't want to be standing on one of them.

I thought we already had the "perfect storm" back in the 1990's ? I would say that the entire population of the east coast from at least Virginia to Maine will be affected in one way or another.

This is the new, improved 21st Century version of the more "perfect storm." They used to use "storm of the century." I think they figured out after using that 4 or 5 times, that you can only have one of those in 100 years...

w0aew
10-28-2012, 04:58 PM
There IS the possibility, of course, that the forecast models have this wrong.

W2NAP
10-28-2012, 05:00 PM
and all were going to get from this thing out here in indiana is light rain/snow showers.

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 05:42 PM
It's affecting our weather, too. Sunshine and 50 lows and 90 highs. Pisser

KJ3N
10-28-2012, 05:48 PM

Bastid....

n2ize
10-28-2012, 05:48 PM
No seagulls here, but one of the 'weather people' said that there's gale warnings on every coast of the Great Lakes, all 5 of them. He said at the time that this has never happened. Then again, this storm is very big, the biggest on record (another factoid). It is not taking the usual route either. It is actually heading North-West rather than North-East. I guess there's a first time for everything. I think the bridges will stand if the winds don't gust over 100 MPH. But I wouldn't want to be standing on one of them.

Wind gusts may be over 200 mph and even higher during the tornadoes induced by this intense hurricane. I think people living along the great lakes may need to evacuate. This is the biggest storm on record since recorded history. I doubt the bridges will survive. I am not even sure many of us will survive. The toll of this storm will be incredible. I will say here and now, it's been good to know all of you. Let's hope we will be on this earth when this death storm is over.

This is the new, improved 21st Century version of the more "perfect storm." They used to use "storm of the century." I think they figured out after using that 4 or 5 times, that you can only have one of those in 100 years...

This is a once in a 1000 year storm. we are witnessing history here. Thus far local wind gusts are down to 13 mph from 20 mph this morning.

ki4itv
10-28-2012, 05:51 PM
You guys stay safe up there...and Mike, be mindful of those trees. That's what worries me the most at my QTH. 30 hours of rain, 24 of them with wind.

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 05:53 PM

You bastids in the Great Basin are fucking up the weather here. The high pressure that's giving you those 90° highs is the cause of the Santa Ana winds (along with the warm temps, low humidity and associated high fire risk) we're currently experiencing.

KJ3N
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
You bastids in the Great Basin are fucking up the weather here. The high pressure that's giving you those 90° highs is the cause of the Santa Ana winds (along with the warm temps, low humidity and associated high fire risk) we're currently experiencing.

You can have Sandy, if you like....

n2ize
10-28-2012, 06:03 PM
This storm is nasty because it is a teaser. It is taking it's sweet time, teasing everyone with its slow approach. it knows what it can and will do and it's saying to us, "I'll bide my time and then give you a wallop like you've never imagined or dreamed possible". This is one wicked mean scumb*g of a storm. Irene was a sweet pussycat compared to this lowdown scoundrel of a storm.

n2ize
10-28-2012, 06:05 PM
You can have Sandy, if you like....
I wouldn't wish Sandy on my worst enemy. I think Sandy is outdoing Katrina.

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
This storm is nasty because it is a teaser. It is taking it's sweet time, teasing everyone with its slow approach. it knows what it can and will do and it's saying to us, "I'll bide my time and then give you a wallop like you've never imagined or dreamed possible". This is one wicked mean scumb*g of a storm.

They should have named it for my ex.

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 08:10 PM
They should have named it for my ex.

Yeah, but can you imagine the guys at the Weather Channel saying, "And now the latest developments on Carl's ex, there is a lot of blowing and it will bring most everyone in the affected areas to their knees".?

N2CHX
10-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Wind gusts may be over 200 mph and even higher during the tornadoes induced by this intense hurricane. I think people living along the great lakes may need to evacuate. This is the biggest storm on record since recorded history. I doubt the bridges will survive. I am not even sure many of us will survive. The toll of this storm will be incredible. I will say here and now, it's been good to know all of you. Let's hope we will be on this earth when this death storm is over.

Don't you think you're being just slightly dramatic?

W2NAP
10-28-2012, 08:49 PM

just a bit.

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 09:10 PM

John being over dramatic? It could never happen.

KJ3N
10-28-2012, 09:28 PM
John being over dramatic? I could never happen.

Unpossible!!!

N2CHX
10-28-2012, 09:36 PM
The f*ckin' sky is falling!

Dr. Detroit
10-28-2012, 09:40 PM

You should work for CNN. You'd fit right in with their chronic hysteria and fear mongering. They need people like you.

KJ3N
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
You should work for CNN. You'd fit right in with their chronic hysteria and fear mongering. They need people like you.

So does Fox.

KJ3N
10-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Well, it's official as of 20 minutes ago...

With Sandy’s impending arrival tomorrow bringing sustained 30-40 mph winds in the morning, heavy rains and wind throughout the day and limited visibility for motorists, Governor Jack Markell ordered statewide “Level Two” driving restrictions beginning at 5:00 a.m. on Monday.

According to state law, a 'Level 2 Driving Restriction' provides that no person shall operate a motor vehicle on Delaware r
oadways other than essential personnel. 'Essential personnel' includes those employees necessary to maintain the core functions of government and maintain health and safety by providing utility services, healthcare services, and food and fuel deliveries.

Looks like we're stuck inside for the duration, starting tomorrow. Maybe I'll finally get to put the 30+ year old Honda generator to some use. ;)

TESLA
10-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Now THAT my friend is a nice generator!

W8XLR
10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
The f*ckin' sky is falling!

Hey, even if the f*cking sky DOES fall, at least we won't hear any more about "Honey Boo Boo"... Conservitisim = Optimisim...

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Unpossible!!!

At least he left out the part about dogs and cats living together.

KJ3N
10-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Now THAT my friend is a nice generator!

True enough, but it's probably a ticking time-bomb vis a vis if it ever breaks down, I'll probably never find the parts. The manual for it was printed in 1978!

KG4CGC
10-28-2012, 11:32 PM
The loons are out in full force too. FB is a nuthouse house of nut logs. Besides the shills bombarding the CBS FB page with "BENGHAZI!" There are HAARP nuts going full bore calling this a HAARP storm engineered by fill in the blank. So far it is being blamed on several 3 letter agencies.

KG4CGC
10-28-2012, 11:34 PM
True enough, but it's probably a ticking time-bomb vis a vis if it ever breaks down, I'll probably never find the parts. The manual for it was printed in 1978!

Lawnmower parts houses would be a good place to start. You can probably find a website with any mods and updates done by ''enthusiasts.''

N8YX
10-29-2012, 03:24 AM
The loons are out in full force too. FB is a nuthouse house of nut logs. Besides the shills bombarding the CBS FB page with "BENGHAZI!" There are HAARP nuts going full bore calling this a HAARP storm engineered by fill in the blank. So far it is being blamed on several 3 letter agencies.
"Did Obama hijack the Halliburton Weather Machine in order to manufacture a crisis so close to election time?"

N8YX
10-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Hey, even if the f*cking sky DOES fall, at least we won't hear any more about "Honey Boo Boo"...

In Soviet Russia, Honey Boo Boo falls from sky!*

*Courtesy of an aging Aeroflot

K7SGJ
10-29-2012, 08:19 AM

Looks like we're stuck inside for the duration, starting tomorrow. Maybe I'll finally get to put the 30+ year old Honda generator to some use. ;)

If you hurry, you still have time to rotate the tires.

WX7P
10-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Conservitisim = Optimisim...

That's just STUPID.

Edit: That would be "conservatism", there station.

WX7P
10-29-2012, 09:07 AM

With Sandy’s impending arrival tomorrow bringing sustained 30-40 mph winds in the morning, heavy rains and wind throughout the day and limited visibility for motorists, Governor Jack Markell ordered statewide “Level Two” driving restrictions beginning at 5:00 a.m. on Monday.

According to state law, a 'Level 2 Driving Restriction' provides that no person shall operate a motor vehicle on Delaware r
oadways other than essential personnel. 'Essential personnel' includes those employees necessary to maintain the core functions of government and maintain health and safety by providing utility services, healthcare services, and food and fuel deliveries.

Ho-llee Jebus! Governor Jack is one of them damn commanists.

Didn't someone tell him that the right to drive is in the Constitution?

n2ize
10-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I would really like these people who say this to explain the scientific principles behind how a HF transmitter in Alaska that is entirely incapable of heating the atmosphere at the tropospheric level where weather occurs can somehow induce a tropical storm (aka hurricane) off the African coast and then get it to travel a particular direction. I would really love to see the reasoning behind that.

N8YX
10-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I would really like these people who say this to explain the scientific principles behind how a HF transmitter in Alaska that is entirely incapable of heating the atmosphere at the tropospheric level where weather occurs can somehow induce a tropical storm (aka hurricane) off the African coast and then get it to travel a particular direction. I would really love to see the reasoning behind that.
I'm pretty sure that "fucking MAGNETS" plays into it somewhere.

n2ize
10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
I am surprised the loons aren't blaming Africa for this storm. Hurricane's are born from low pressure troughs that cross the African continent generally unnoticed but really take off once they pass into the sea.

n2ize
10-29-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that "fucking MAGNETS" plays into it somewhere.

^^ Oh yeah... its gotta be the magnets, :lol:

I once had a big debate with a HARRP conspiracy theorist. I need not give the details. You know how that debate went, ;)

n2ize
10-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Well, so far we still have power, phone and internet. Wind gusts are quite strong but still under 40 mph. They come and they go, we get battered by a few hard gusts for a few minutes and then they subside. for a spell. The real trick is going to be tonight into Tuesday when the gusts really start kicking some ass. Can't say fer sure if we'll have lectricity when its over. Keep those HT's charged up.

Can't you guys in Jersey contact Gov Lardass or Rush Limbaugh to blow some hot air. Maybe if they work together they can push this thing out to sea. I mean,between the two of them there is enough hot wind to move a storm.

W3WN
10-29-2012, 09:36 AM
< snip >Have you ever considered writing for network television? How about a political campaign?

kc2zfa
10-29-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm paraphrasing from memory: the following exchange was on the TeeVee last night.

Reporter: Gov. El Gordo you said that we should prepare for power outages of 7 days or more...the previous storm-caused outages were also 7 days or more and you said progress has been made since then...it doesn't look like any progress has been made.

El Gordo: the previous storms did not linger while this one will linger, so 7 days or more of power outages now is an improvement over 7 days or more of power outages during the previous storms...

:bowdown:

W3WN
10-29-2012, 09:38 AM
I would really like these people who say this to explain the scientific principles behind how a HF transmitter in Alaska that is entirely incapable of heating the atmosphere at the tropospheric level where weather occurs can somehow induce a tropical storm (aka hurricane) off the African coast and then get it to travel a particular direction. I would really love to see the reasoning behind that.Science? They don't need no stinkin' science!

n2ize
10-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Have you ever considered writing for network television? How about a political campaign?

It's not the first time I have been told that. Several folks have told me I missed my calling as a politician or a tv person. :)

n2ize
10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm paraphrasing from memory: the following exchange was on the TeeVee last night.

Reporter: Gov. El Gordo you said that we should prepare for power outages of 7 days or more...the previous storm-caused outages were also 7 days or more and you said progress has been made since then...it doesn't look like any progress has been made.

El Gordo: the previous storms did not linger while this one will linger, so 7 days or more of power outages now is an improvement over 7 days or more of power outages during the previous storms...

:bowdown:

THAT !! is a real politician talking....

Actually the damned electric grid should be put underground. This is still like the 1890's with overhead wires all over the place.

W3WN
10-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Sandy has sunk the HMS Bounty!

Really! http://abcnews.go.com/US/sandy-sinks-tall-ship-14-rescued-missing/story?id=17588614

N8YX
10-29-2012, 10:24 AM

Really! http://abcnews.go.com/US/sandy-sinks-tall-ship-14-rescued-missing/story?id=17588614

Mehh...when it sinks the Bismarck, get back to us.

K7SGJ
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM
What a shame to lose a tall ship like that. It's also a shame someone had their head up their ass when they decided to put that ship to sea knowing Sandy was on her way. Bastids

KC2UGV
10-29-2012, 10:53 AM

That'll teach them for mutinying!

WØTKX
10-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Keep those HT's charged up.

We've done Echolink to W2VL to talk to you before. I bet there are some repeaters to other Islanders in the storm path.

Just let us know. If they stay up, we could say hey! And you could give us a news report. :yes:

NY3V
10-29-2012, 11:11 AM

De Lawd must really have it in for Floridians!

K7SGJ
10-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Wonder if the MM net is pissed because they didn't get to handle any of that traffic?

W3WN
10-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Wonder if the MM net is pissed because they didn't get to handle any of that traffic?Nah. They're too busy staking claim to "their" frequency to notice.

K7SGJ
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Nah. They're too busy staking claim to "their" frequency to notice.

Damn, I hate it when that happens.

NQ6U
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM

This is no laughing matter, young man. Now the crew is going to end up as practicing Seventh Day Adventists on some island off the coast of S.C.

N2NH
10-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Weather Persons are saying they wouldn't be surprised if wind readings reach 100 MPH. They already are estimating 75 MPH on the Jersey Shore with the storm 100 miles away. The higher up you go, the higher the wind speed. I doubt if it will reach John's 200 MPH, but it is more than likely to go over 100.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812W5_NL+gif/150352W5_NL_sm.gif

N2NH
10-29-2012, 12:36 PM
On the News: In Manhattan there are still people shopping and some stores that are open. Surfers on the waves in Long Island and people taking pictures in Coney Island. Many are already saying that the high tide around noon was worse than Irene was last year. Things will get worse around 8 to 12 tonight. Because of the weird waterways here, tide times vary greatly.

They had pictures of Grand Central Terminal, Pennsylvania Station and the Times Square Subway station. All empty. Not something you ever expect to see.

Up here in the foothills, we're getting 40 MPH or so gusts- rain is coming in sideways from the NE, but so far not too bad compared to the coasts. With all the trees, going outside is hazardous.

NQ6U
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Best picture of Sandy I've seen so far:

Awesome in the true sense of the word!

n2ize
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Weather Persons are saying they wouldn't be surprised if wind readings reach 100 MPH. They already are estimating 75 MPH on the Jersey Shore with the storm 100 miles away. The higher up you go, the higher the wind speed. I doubt if it will reach John's 200 MPH, but it is more than likely to go over 100.

Accuweather is forecasting gusts between 22-68 mph in my area overnight... along the lines of a severe Nor'easter. Then weakening through the day Tuesday as the storm weakens over land. Luckily I am not right on the coast or in a flood prone region. Our main concern here is tree damage and possible power outages.

When I mentioned the 200 mph winds I was referring to tornadoes that can sometimes form within a hurricane.

n2ize
10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
On the News: In Manhattan there are still people shopping and some stores that are open. Surfers on the waves in Long Island and people taking pictures in Coney Island. Many are already saying that the high tide around noon was worse than Irene was last year. Things will get worse around 8 to 12 tonight. Because of the weird waterways here, tide times vary greatly.

New Yorkers are a hearty breed. It's tough to keep the city entirely shut down.

They had pictures of Grand Central Terminal, Pennsylvania Station and the Times Square Subway station. All empty. Not something you ever expect to see.

No surprise since the shut down all the trains.

Up here in the foothills, we're getting 40 MPH or so gusts- rain is coming in sideways from the NE, but so far not too bad compared to the coasts. With all the trees, going outside is hazardous.
Bout the same conditions that I am seeing here right now. One minute the trees are swaying and bopping around, the next minute they are still.

n2ize
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Here is an interesting page about the December 1992 Nor'easter, I remember this storm well. It hit also hit during the time of astronomical high tides. Although it was a nor'easter it packed the strength and fury of a hurricane. It was also a slow, long lasting storm and it's affects were felt way inland.

http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/1992noreaster.html

N2NH
10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Best picture of Sandy I've seen so far:

Awesome in the true sense of the word!

There are a lot of superlatives being used for this storm. Biggest hurricane recorded. Lowest North Atlantic Hurricane barometric pressure. The pic belies what they were saying yesterday about gale warnings in all the great lakes. Before it resumes it's northward trek, it will go about 200 miles inland and that will push the winds and storm conditions similarly westward into the great lakes. 300,000 without power so far. The forecast is for 66 million to be affected by the hurricane with 6 million to lose power.

N2NH
10-29-2012, 01:38 PM
According to this local map, the center will pass about 2-3 miles to the south of me.

The red line at the top is the DE/PA line. The red dot is me. The purple line is Sandy.

by the look of things today, it's still headed to you. Good luck and hope it all turns out well for you.

N2NH
10-29-2012, 01:56 PM
This isn't on the web yet, I've checked. A crane has collapsed at the top of a high-rise building on 57th St and 7th Ave - a very busy street normally. I doubt if anything can be done to secure it at this time so it might come down onto the buildings below. They were building a high-rise condo with units selling for as much as $85 Million. Hope they have insurance.

The report that I'm hearing is that it is 65 stories up, about 650 feet up. It is dangling dangerously over the buildings and streets which have already been closed.

Um, make that a 90 story condo. That's close to 1000 feet up. The wind is 45 MPH on the ground, they're saying it's 95-100 MPH at the top of the building. When as the storm winds get stronger, the winds at the top of this structure will be 50 MPH higher.

PA5COR
10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
It's just starting, there will be a lott more damage before it's over...

NQ6U
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
This isn't on the web yet, I've checked. A crane has collapsed at the top of a high-rise building on 57th St and 7th Ave - a very busy street normally. I doubt if anything can be done to secure it at this time so it might come down onto the buildings below. They were building a high-rise condo with units selling for as much as $85 Million. Hope they have insurance.

The report that I'm hearing is that it is 65 stories up, about 650 feet up. It is dangling dangerously over the buildings and streets which have already been closed.

Um, make that a 90 story condo. That's close to 1000 feet up. The wind is 45 MPH on the ground, they're saying it's 95-100 MPH at the top of the building. When as the storm winds get stronger, the winds at the top of this structure will be 50 MPH higher.

Why are you wasting your time posting this to a site only a few people read? Run right out there and get some pictures! The NYT is looking for storm-related shots.

KJ3N
10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
by the look of things today, it's still headed to you. Good luck and hope it all turns out well for you.

The main track has moved further south of me, according to predictions. Now it's forecast to pass about 10-15 miles further south than what I showed yesterday.

Winds are starting to get cranked up. Probably 25-30 with gusts around 40-45.

N2NH
10-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Why are you wasting your time posting this to a site only a few people read? Run right out there and get some pictures! The NYT is looking for storm-related shots.

How? I live 100 miles north, but I get all the New York stations. There's a reason I left the city. Besides they got all those daredevil reporters running around on the coasts and in the city. It's fascinating but I hope they do well. At 4PM, the city will effectively be cutoff from the rest of the country as they close most of the remaining bridges and tunnels.

AE1PT
10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
The ARES and RACES whackers over in my corner of western NY have already gotten fired up. They have taken over the local linked repeater systems with an interminable check-in and repeated call for capabilities. Most everyone has a VHF rig--most of those that can work HF are waiting for a clue.

I tried to get up a conversation. When I identified myself, net control asked for my capabilities. I told them I had a reflective vest, an HT, and two coolers full of iced beer. I asked them if they had any donuts at the ECC.

Something tells me that I am going to hear about this in a bad way at the next club meeting. I have the alarm set on my phone to be sure to check in at the 8PM roundup. I need to let them know that a third cooler full of beer has been procured... :cool2::beer::beer::stirpot::beer::rofl:

KJ3N
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
The ARES and RACES whackers over in my corner of western NY have already gotten fired up. They have taken over the local linked repeater systems with an interminable check-in and repeated call for capabilities. Most everyone has a VHF rig--most of those that can work HF are waiting for a clue.

I tried to get up a conversation. When I identified myself, net control asked for my capabilities. I told them I had a reflective vest, an HT, and two coolers full of iced beer. I asked them if they had any donuts at the ECC.

Something tells me that I am going to hear about this in a bad way at the next club meeting. I have the alarm set on my phone to be sure to check in at the 8PM roundup. I need to let them know that a third cooler full of beer has been procured... :cool2::beer::beer::stirpot::beer::rofl:

You so bad...... :rofl: :rofl:

KJ3N
10-29-2012, 03:58 PM
OK, just had a couple of gusts come through @ 60+ MPH.

N8YX
10-29-2012, 04:08 PM

N8YX
10-29-2012, 04:09 PM
OK, just had a couple of gusts come through @ 60+ MPH.
Bush's fault.

kf0rt
10-29-2012, 04:13 PM

With capabilities like that, we may have to fabricate an emergency for you. You can leave the vest and HT home, though.

N8YX
10-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Urgently needed:

A shitload of Viagra to help regain its stiffness...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-29/manhattan-construction-crane-collapses-at-one57-luxury-tower

KJ3N
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
I can't wait to see how many antennas survive this one.

So far, the 160m antenna is offline, and I found water seeping out of the connector on the 9913 coax that leads to the dual-band vertical on the roof.

I know what I'll be doing on Wednesday...

N8YX
10-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I know what I'll be doing on Wednesday...
Helping yourself to Pat's stash?

W2NAP
10-29-2012, 04:57 PM

oh thats fucking hallarious

KJ3N
10-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Helping yourself to Pat's stash?

Only after I go through my own stash. :cool2: ;)

KC9SQR
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM

I laughed so hard at that I scared the hell out of the cat :rofl:
It was kinda quiet, and apparently the cats are a little high strung tonight :rofl:

AE1PT
10-29-2012, 07:30 PM
So, it was 8PM and the full roll call started up once again. About half way through the check-in was halted to pass a report. Net Control read through this storm report that god only knows where he got it--talking about storm surges, high tides, and avoiding bridges.

This was too much for me, and I chimed in when he paused for a repeater reset asking when in the hell was the last time we had high tides or storm surges in the Southern Tier of New York State. This was pretty much ignored, and I shut up. Stupid reared its ugly head about 5 minutes later when NC made a request that anyone with a powered station that loses power to contact the net and report the change in capability and status. I broke back in and asked how we were supposed to do that. The answer was to call them on the phone. That's when I asked him what the hell was wrong with him...

I have been politely asked to stay off the repeater until the 'emergency' is over. This was accomplished by calling me on my cell phone...

BTW, I have been told that this will be taken up at the club meeting...

K7SGJ
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
So, it was 8PM and the full roll call started up once again. About half way through the check-in was halted to pass a report. Net Control read through this storm report that god only knows where he got it--talking about storm surges, high tides, and avoiding bridges.

This was too much for me, and I chimed in when he paused for a repeater reset asking when in the hell was the last time we had high tides or storm surges in the Southern Tier of New York State. This was pretty much ignored, and I shut up. Stupid reared its ugly head about 5 minutes later when NC made a request that anyone with a powered station that loses power to contact the net and report the change in capability and status. I broke back in and asked how we were supposed to do that. The answer was to call them on the phone. That's when I asked him what the hell was wrong with him...

I have been politely asked to stay off the repeater until the 'emergency' is over. This was accomplished by calling me on my cell phone...

Perhaps they want you as the new president of the club, eh?

kf0rt
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Must admit.

That's fucking priceless. Can you YouTube the proceedings?

K7SGJ
10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
At the very least they should refund the unused portion of his dues, no?

N2CHX
10-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Went to my parents house today. I gave Dad a home-brew 20" loop antenna so he could pick up his favorite Canadian station on 740 better. He was thrilled when I put the inductive coupling loop next to the radio and the station suddenly came in clear. I also brought him a sump pump to replace theirs that wasn't working right but he had already secured another one.

Anyway, he gave me this:

N8YX
10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
That looks fossil powered. You ought to put up a field of wind turbines...quick. There's certainly enough wind tonight. Rigging a bank or storage batteries large enough to capture all the available energy on such short notice might prove a bit tricky, however.

Pat, I believe the term you're after WRT the NCS is "bloviation". Remember that many of us have brought this sort of thing up elsewhere time and again, only to be shouted down by the Armature Rayyydee-oh will Save the World! crowd.

KJ3N
10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Anyway, he gave me this:

I think I need a tetanus shot just for looking at it....

N2CHX
10-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I think I need a tetanus shot just for looking at it....

LOL! It looks rough but it runs perfectly well. Put some gas in it and it fired up in three pulls and ran nice and smooth. Stuff my Dad has doesn't always look pretty but he always has stuff working to perfection.

W2NAP
10-29-2012, 09:03 PM

god i hope you have a recording of this

W8XLR
10-29-2012, 09:10 PM
LOL! It looks rough but it runs perfectly well. Put some gas in it and it fired up in three pulls and ran nice and smooth. Stuff my Dad has doesn't always look pretty but he always has stuff working to perfection.

All BS aside, Im glad you have a backup... and a dad. DAD's ROCK! Stay safe there, Kelli...

With that, BARKEEP!, a round of "Stabill" for the house please...

K7SGJ
10-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Went to my parents house today. I gave Dad a home-brew 20" loop antenna so he could pick up his favorite Canadian station on 740 better. He was thrilled when I put the inductive coupling loop next to the radio and the station suddenly came in clear. I also brought him a sump pump to replace theirs that wasn't working right but he had already secured another one.

Anyway, he gave me this:

Wow, that looks just like an old Dayton I used to have. With a little TLC it'll run forever.

N2CHX
10-29-2012, 09:22 PM
All BS aside, Im glad you have a backup... and a dad. DAD's ROCK! Stay safe there, Kelli...

With that, BARKEEP!, a round of "Stabill" for the house please...

My Dad disowned me for five years. We just recently reconnected this past summer after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It's good to have him back in my life, yes. And he seems much happier than he ever was. Cancer is gone for now, it seems too.

N2CHX
10-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow, that looks just like an old Dayton I used to have. With a little TLC it'll run forever.

The plate has the name Generac on it. But yeah, seems like quite a tank! lol

kf0rt

I just noticed your signature.

Hey, waitaminnit! Bastid

W8XLR
My Dad disowned me for five years. We just recently reconnected this past summer after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It's good to have him back in my life, yes. And he seems much happier than he ever was. Cancer is gone for now, it seems too.

Thats good to hear, YL... Best of luck to both of you.:peace:

N2CHX
10-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Thats good to hear, YL... Best of luck to both of you.:peace:

:) Thank you.

KJ3N
10-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Well, it was calm here for a little while, but now I hear the wind and rain starting back up.

I know there's a tree down across part of a chain link fence (I checked during the lull), but I'll wait until morning to take pics.

So far, this isn't that much of an event, damage-wise. Power has stayed on throughout the event, so far.

w0aew
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Is this another Y2k-style CNN/TWC extravaganza?

kf0rt
10-29-2012, 09:44 PM
And he seems much happier than he ever was.

You seem a lot happier lately, too.

Good on ya. ;)

KJ3N
10-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Is this another Y2k-style CNN/TWC extravaganza?

Right where I am? Possibly.

Atlantic City, NJ got pounded, as did many NJ coastal communities. Same goes for several places to my south in DE. Several place around me have lost power, although we have not.

Of course, this isn't over by a long shot. As I previously posted, it sounds like round #2 is starting now. It remains to be seen if more damage is to be done.

N2CHX
10-29-2012, 09:55 PM
You seem a lot happier lately, too.

Good on ya. ;)

I am, definitely. And thank you :-D

W3WN
10-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Right where I am? Possibly.

Atlantic City, NJ got pounded, as did many NJ coastal communities. Same goes for several places to my south in DE. Several place around me have lost power, although we have not.

Of course, this isn't over by a long shot. As I previously posted, it sounds like round #2 is starting now. It remains to be seen if more damage is to be done.11 PM news on the local ABC affiliate started off with gloom and doom, including a short piece on the Atlantic City Boardwalk being underwater.

The boss starts to panic a little... "maybe we should call your mother?"
I say "Why? It's after 11, she's asleep."
"Aren't you worried?"
Nah. My mom is tough as nails; the storm is probably scared of her. Seriously, I know exactly what she'll say... "What are you doing? Wasting your money on a phone call? It's just a little rain. I don't know what the big fuss is about." (which is pretty much what she told us on Sunday)

What I say to the bosss, though is:
"No. She's in West Trenton (Ewing Township, actually). She's on the other side of the state. She's fine."

W2NAP
10-30-2012, 02:28 AM
heard something about a Massive fire in Queens,NY

N2NH
10-30-2012, 02:57 AM

That's hilarious. :rofl:

N2NH
10-30-2012, 03:07 AM
Preliminary reports say that there is little power from 39th St south in Manhattan. That's all of downtown and half of midtown, including the commodities market, the stock markets (there are two), the money market, the civic center, numerous shopping districts... you get the picture. The Brooklyn-Battery tunnel, over a mile long is flooded as well as the subway and PATH trains with no way to get the water out of the tunnels. Downtown is also swamped with water. Until daylight, there is no way to assess the full damage. The Meadowlands has a dyke break which is allowing the surrounding swamps to flood the towns out there. The NFL football stadium for the Giants and Jets is out there.

In the Rockaways at Breezy Point, there is a very big fire raging. Homes are being burned to the ground and they are having no luck putting it out as it spreads from house to house. There were 6 homes burning when I went to sleep at 8PM and now it's up to 65. ConEd's preliminary count is over 650,000 without power and they expect that this will rise to near 2 million. Central Jersey reports a over 2.3 Million in the dark and similar numbers in Connecticut.

It is overwhelming.

N8YX
10-30-2012, 05:30 AM
I fully expected this to be another Ike. In that event, isolated consumers throughout the area were without power for 5 days and I lost an entire freezer full of food.

On Sunday I centralized all of the frozen goods in one area towards the middle of the freezer side of our refrigerator then put three cases worth of water bottles in the door compartments, on the top racks and in front of the frozen food. A little was drained from each into our bicycle water bottles prior to placing everything in the freezer.

Should power go out, a prearranged number of bottles will be exchanged for one of two gallons of milk in the refrigerator side then the door sealed and not reopened until the juice comes back. I figure between the 150lbs of bottled ice and 100+ lbs of freezer packs in the bottom shelf that the frozen stuff ought to stay that way for a few days.

John, you and everyone else out east hang tight - and let us know if you need anything.

KC2UGV
10-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Which repeater(s) was that on?

KJ3N
10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Mornin' all. What's all the fuss about? ;)

N2NH
10-30-2012, 10:54 AM
I fully expected this to be another Ike. In that event, isolated consumers throughout the area were without power for 5 days and I lost an entire freezer full of food.

On Sunday I centralized all of the frozen goods in one area towards the middle of the freezer side of our refrigerator then put three cases worth of water bottles in the door compartments, on the top racks and in front of the frozen food. A little was drained from each into our bicycle water bottles prior to placing everything in the freezer.

Should power go out, a prearranged number of bottles will be exchanged for one of two gallons of milk in the refrigerator side then the door sealed and not reopened until the juice comes back. I figure between the 150lbs of bottled ice and 100+ lbs of freezer packs in the bottom shelf that the frozen stuff ought to stay that way for a few days.

John, you and everyone else out east hang tight - and let us know if you need anything.

Thank you that is very kind. God is good. So far it's not too bad here about 100 miles from the city and 250 from the storm. We had some gusts around 65 and the lights flickered a few times, but we've still got power. The internet is running but very, very slow. It took me 15 minutes to go from my homepage to here, about 5 pages, to load in that time. Still can't go out, there are trees all around and a few have gotten killed even up here due to falling limbs. Over by the Hudson River there is some flooding even up here and all the way to Albany, 150 or so miles from the seaboard. Seems that the worst was over and it wasn't too bad here, but NJ-NYC is a way different story.

So far the MTA says there's no damage to the subways and buses, but they haven't been able to check the tunnels for the tracks and the signals which are prone to salt-water damage. There planning to have a partial bus service running later today. JFK Airport will open tomorrow, LAG will not because of extensive damage to the airport.

The NYSE (stock exchange) is planning to open tomorrow - I think that is optimistic as does the Governor. 90% of Long Island is powerless. Two hospitals were evacuated, all the patients had to be transferred during the storm. A gust of 94 MPH was clocked at Eaton's Neck, Long Island.

Hope Warren, George and the rest of those in New Jersey fared well. They also have the rivers there that will crest and flood after this is all over.

EDIT:

We're being told to stay home by the Governors of all three states as the danger is far from over with powerlines and areas undermined by the force of the storm. The news reports are sobering and they can only show a very small fraction of what has happened on the coast.

Just On the News:
There is an Oil Tanker on one of the main streets in Staten Island, The North Jersey Coastline railroad tracks have shifted and there are freight cars on the New Jersey Turnpike. The East River Bridges are open but getting to them might be a problem as trees are down everywhere. The reporter at Prospect Park in Brooklyn said they have far fewer trees there now and they were down all around.

ka4dpo
10-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Hope that wasn't your antenna support... We got out of it with no damage, just a really muddy back yard.

KJ3N
10-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Hope that wasn't your antenna support... We got out of it with no damage, just a really muddy back yard.

Nah. Dead tree from an adjoining property. That's the only real damage so far. A lot of small dead branches scattered around the property, but nothing major.

NJ coastal towns got severely fucked, however. I'm sure you've seen the pictures and video by now.

K7SGJ
10-30-2012, 05:03 PM

I see you're branching out.

N2NH
10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Usually there are over ¾ of a million visitors to Grand Central Terminal. This is how it looked during the storm.

http://i49.tinypic.com/6jken5.jpg

WX7P
10-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Usually there are over ¾ of a million visitors to Grand Central Terminal. This is how it looked during the storm.

Wow, Just WOW.

WØTKX
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
We have not heard from 'IzE since the brunt of it hit... :chin:

The W2VL Glen Oaks repeater that he can hit with an HT is up, and it has Echolink.

WØTKX
10-30-2012, 06:56 PM
No, I'm wrong, it was up an hour ago, no go now.

Grand Central empty looks great for roller skating...

N2NH
10-31-2012, 10:54 PM
GCT is BIG! That is only the main hall which is bigger than a football field. That place is about 8 times bigger with three levels and a fourth being added on. It's considered the first mall and the template from which every airport was built.

Here is a time-lapse of the storm coming to the city. Taken from Brooklyn, NY with the Williamsburg Bridge visible.

http://youtu.be/PyohW9rYEKc

w2amr
11-01-2012, 03:16 AM
No major damage around here, but a downed tree took out our power for 3 days .

NQ6U
11-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Glad to hear you're okay! Anyone heard from IZE yet?

WØTKX
11-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Allo George!

ki4itv
11-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Welcome back to the modern age, George.

N2NH
11-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Glad to see you back George. I hope Warren and John are doing well too.

N7YA
11-01-2012, 07:24 PM
As for the thread title, i guess it was true....this was a really bad storm with really bad consequences. One thing is for certain, people are going to pick up the pieces and put them back together. I hope its smooth sailing for you guys out there from here on out, i'd say you had enough for now. Good luck to you!

kc2zfa
11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm back in the 20th century. I now have power and internet (been out since Monday). The joke of it all is we decided to weather the storm in Edison instead of our other place on 57th (3 blocks away from the crane). 57th never lost power _and_ there was a non-stop floor party. And now we're at the mercy of NJTransit. Shiiiiiii !

ki4itv
11-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm back in the 20th century. I now have power and internet (been out since Monday). The joke of it all is we decided to weather the storm in Edison instead of our other place on 57th (3 blocks away from the crane). 57th never lost power _and_ there was a non-stop floor party. And now we're at the mercy of NJTransit. Shiiiiiii !

Dr. John knows how you feel...

I been in the right place
But it must have been the wrong time
I'd have said the right thing
But I must have used the wrong line
I'd a took the right road
But I must have took a wrong turn
Would have made the right move
But I made it at the wrong time
I been on the right road
But I must have used the wrong car
My head was in a good place
And I wonder what it's bad for

;)

N2NH
11-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Here's the summary of the storm:

The immensity of the impact of Superstorm Sandy on the Eastern U.S. is difficult to comprehend, and the scenes of devastation coming from the impact zone are stunning and heart-wrenching. To help understand the extraordinary scale of this historic storm, I've put together a list of notable statistics from Sandy:

Death toll: 160 (88 in the U.S., 54 in Haiti, 11 in Cuba)

Damage estimates: $10 - $55 billion

Power outages: 8.5 million U.S. customers, 2nd most for a natural disaster behind the 1993 blizzard (10 million)

Maximum U.S. sustained winds: 69 mph at Westerly, RI

Peak U.S. wind gusts: 90 mph at Islip, NY and Tompkinsville, NJ

Maximum U.S. storm surge: 9.45', Bergen Point, NJ 9:24 pm EDT October 29, 2012

Maximum U.S. Storm Tide: 14.60', Bergen Point, NJ, 9:24 pm EDT October 29, 2012

Maximum wave height: 33.1' at the buoy east of Cape Hatteras, NC (http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/buoy/2012/10/29/41001.html) (2nd highest: 32.5' at the Entrance to New York Harbor (http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/buoy/2012/10/29/44065.html))

Maximum U.S. rainfall: 12.55", Easton, MD

Maximum snowfall: 36", Richwood, WV

Minimum pressure: 945.5 mb, Atlantic City, NJ (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=acyn4) at 7:24 pm EST, October 29, 2012. This is the lowest pressure measured in the U.S., at any location north of Cape Hatteras, NC (previous record: 946 mb in the 1938 hurricane on Long Island, NY)

Destructive potential of storm surge: 5.8 on a scale of 0 to 6, highest of any hurricane observed since 1969. Previous record: 5.6 on a scale of 0 to 6, set during Hurricane Isabel of 2003.

Diameter of tropical storm-force winds at landfall: 945 miles

Diameter of ocean with 12' seas at landfall: 1500 miles

Source: Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog (http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html)

w2amr
11-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Edison, Do you know WA2PZI?

kc2zfa
11-02-2012, 07:21 AM

no, but I should. I'll send him an e-mail to introduce myself...he appears to live right next to our dentist.

n2ize
11-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow, thats a familiar call. Did he used to talk to us on AM years ago ??

n2ize
11-03-2012, 03:27 PM

I'vbe seen it that empty a few times. At 4:00 AM.

ki4itv
11-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Welcome back John.
Hope your experience was just a minor inconvenience. :)

n2ize
11-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Welcome back John.
Hope your experience was just a minor inconvenience. :)

For me it was not easy, and at times was very scary, but still a minor inconvenience compared to those people near the coast. I heard from a friend near the shore, he is still trying to pump the sale water out of his first floor and basement and figure what he has left. . His car floated away. Those near the coast really got hit bad. They need all the help they can get. Not to mention all the paperwork and time waiting for insurance claims and disaster relief funding.

I hope everyone else from the Island got through this okay ??

N7YA
11-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Ugh! The insurance!

Lets ask how the folks from Katrina and the Gulf Spill are doing with that.

Man, i really wish them all the luck, this country is not very well set up for this stuff. Smart move cancelling the marathon, however. Either way, we havent seen you for a few days and im glad to see you made it through.

kf0rt
11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
For me it was not easy, and at times was very scary, but still a minor inconvenience compared to those people near the coast. I heard from a friend near the shore, he is still trying to pump the sale water out of his first floor and basement and figure what he has left. . His car floated away. Those near the coast really got hit bad. They need all the help they can get. Not to mention all the paperwork and time waiting for insurance claims and disaster relief funding.

I hope everyone else from the Island got through this okay ??

Glad to hear you made it, John! (Tell us the stories?) The bar's open, if you have a desire.

Outside of Island pals, I only know one person who lives in the area; a work gal pal from years back. She and her family live(d) in the Mastic Beach area on LI, right off the beach. She's now reporting that her house saw about 2 feet of water inside but is still standing (guessing today was the first day they got in to even see it). At a minimum, it will require a bunch of work and new appliances. I'd guess that structural integrity might be an issue, too.

Man, my heart goes out to these folks.

Glad you're up and runnin', John.

N1LAF
11-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Had power through the storm, but the entire area was turned off by the power company because of downed wires and multiple trees on the wires. The main road at the end of my street, a tree was tangled in the wires, one of three power lines across the road, and a transformer knocked off the pole and hanging over the road on the telephone wires. Because of this, the power company secured power Tuesday afternoon, and Ledyard went from 52% out to 90% out of power. The wood stove warmed the house, and I had warm water using the gas grill, and everything else was by candlelight.

Wind gusts clocked at 85 MPH here, the overhang shelter from my shed blew off, one leg of my dipole came down (will fix that tomorrow), a branch came down and dented up a drain spout (missed the picture window by four feet), branches and leaves everywhere, except the back yard was blown free. This is the worst I have seen since moving here 18 years ago.

It was more wind than rain here.

The power company made great progress in restoring power in the past 40 hours.
Map: http://outage.cl-p.com/outage/outagemap.aspx

Friday Morning, Ledyard was 68% out. Today, 2%.

n2ize
11-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Had power through the storm, but the entire area was turned off by the power company because of downed wires and multiple trees on the wires. The main road at the end of my street, a tree was tangled in the wires, one of three power lines across the road, and a transformer knocked off the pole and hanging over the road on the telephone wires. Because of this, the power company secured power Tuesday afternoon, and Ledyard went from 52% out to 90% out of power. The wood stove warmed the house, and I had warm water using the gas grill, and everything else was by candlelight.

Wind gusts clocked at 85 MPH here, the overhang shelter from my shed blew off, one leg of my dipole came down (will fix that tomorrow), a branch came down and dented up a drain spout (missed the picture window by four feet), branches and leaves everywhere, except the back yard was blown free. This is the worst I have seen since moving here 18 years ago.

It was more wind than rain here.

The power company made great progress in restoring power in the past 40 hours.
Map: http://outage.cl-p.com/outage/outagemap.aspx

Friday Morning, Ledyard was 68% out. Today, 2%.

same here Paul. No much rain. River didn't rise much above normal. The winds however were ferocious.

kf0rt
11-03-2012, 07:19 PM
One of the work discussions here was about how much of the power/utilitiy lines back east are above ground and subject to the weather. Here, it's kind of split -- older neighborhoods like where I grew up have overhead utilities (built in the late 50's), but where I live (built in the early-mid 70's), all utilities are buried and they don't do overhead wires any more. Probably the same everywhere these days and just a question of age.

Huge trees, overhead lines and high winds don't mix well.

We had a ~5 hour power outage here about a month ago -- very rare. It was a PITA (minor inconvenience, really) and the worst outage we've ever had here. Very localized - the houses two doors down had power. Transformer is in our back yard -- wasn't the problem. With nothing else to do, I grabbed one of those all-in-one car deals (power inverter, jumpstarter, tire pump, flashlight, pizza oven) that I have and plugged the cable modem and WiFi router in. Fired up the laptop, and it all worked. No power, but the cable Internet connection was alive.

Be interesting to hear what you might do differently, John. Where's the line between caution and crazy? (And I say that with complete respect for the situation.)

n2ize
11-03-2012, 09:01 PM
One of the work discussions here was about how much of the power/utilitiy lines back east are above ground and subject to the weather. Here, it's kind of split -- older neighborhoods like where I grew up have overhead utilities (built in the late 50's), but where I live (built in the early-mid 70's), all utilities are buried and they don't do overhead wires any more. Probably the same everywhere these days and just a question of age.

Huge trees, overhead lines and high winds don't mix well.

We had a ~5 hour power outage here about a month ago -- very rare. It was a PITA (minor inconvenience, really) and the worst outage we've ever had here. Very localized - the houses two doors down had power. Transformer is in our back yard -- wasn't the problem. With nothing else to do, I grabbed one of those all-in-one car deals (power inverter, jumpstarter, tire pump, flashlight, pizza oven) that I have and plugged the cable modem and WiFi router in. Fired up the laptop, and it all worked. No power, but the cable Internet connection was alive.

Be interesting to hear what you might do differently, John. Where's the line between caution and crazy? (And I say that with complete respect for the situation.)

This entire shire (county) in which I live is mostly old residential areas. Homes here date back to the turn of the century and some beyond. Of course there are new homes as well. The streets here are quaint, old and new homes, Colonials, English Tudors, with tree lined streets... maples, oaks, ash, , pines, sycamore, etc. The entire area is all old overhead wiring. While some of the hardware has been replaced over the years a good part of it still looks as old as the area itself. Windstorms are disastrous around here and generally bring down limbs and knock out power. So far we have had two hurricanes two years in a row , back to back, this being the worst yet. Seems like our weather is turning more violent more frequently.

My house is more modern, built in the 1960's and has no fireplace as do most of the older homes here. The 2 biggtest problems face during this most recent incident was, trying to preserve food and, trying to keep warm. The most important thing I would consider at this point is some sort of generator. Even if just to run the freezer for a few hours a day or a couple of heaters at night or a air conditioner in the summer I think it would be of great value. The other item might be a wood burning stove. Had the power outage continues heating would have become a major concern, particularly with temperatures dropping sharply over the next few days. Beyond that keeping a good supply of flashlights, batteries, candles, etc. Only other thing I could think of is making necessary contingency plans in the event of an approaching storm. For example, stocking up on important medications, or plans if routine medical help is needed.

And most important... a good supply of beer, whiskey, gin, vodka, rum, brandy, etc. It's rough enough to deal with the cold and no electric. But being stuck in the home with the family can be the toughest thing to deal with. That is where the beverages mentioned above can be quite helpful. :-D

n2ize
11-03-2012, 11:40 PM
I am beginning to think. Is it not time to start putting our overhead electrical infrastructure underground ? I understand this may be difficult or unwise in some locations but, perhaps it would be wise to start trying to move as much as we can underground to prevent these ongoing interruptions. Not only to make our electrical system more secure but such a project could generate much needed jobs.

N2NH
11-03-2012, 11:43 PM
I am beginning to think. Is it not time to start putting our overhead electrical infrastructure underground ? I understand this may be difficult or unwise in some locations but, perhaps it would be wise to start trying to move as much as we can underground to prevent these ongoing interruptions. Not only to make our electrical system more secure but such a project could generate much needed jobs.

That didn't seem to help downtown Manhattan much. Everything was blacked out south of 39th St on the West side and south of 42nd St on the East side with nary an overhead powerline in sight.

PA5COR
11-04-2012, 02:38 AM
We have all our powerlines underground, transformers in separate build transformerhouses above ground, in 25 years i had one pwerout here due to a blown transformer lasting all of 3 hours or so.
Burrying powerlines is very costly we did it here from the start even 300 KV lines can be burried in some spots if needed.
But getting your infrastructure changed will cost billions if not more.

Water electricity telephone glass fibre etc all is underground here, and very reliable.

n2ize
11-04-2012, 03:04 AM
We have all our powerlines underground, transformers in separate build transformerhouses above ground, in 25 years i had one pwerout here due to a blown transformer lasting all of 3 hours or so.
Burrying powerlines is very costly we did it here from the start even 300 KV lines can be burried in some spots if needed.
But getting your infrastructure changed will cost billions if not more.

Water electricity telephone glass fibre etc all is underground here, and very reliable.

Perhaps if we spent less money on wars, maybe... just maybe. But I am a dreamer. It will never happen in the USSA.

n2ize
11-04-2012, 03:09 AM
That didn't seem to help downtown Manhattan much. Everything was blacked out south of 39th St on the West side and south of 42nd St on the East side with nary an overhead powerline in sight.

True, it may not be the best solution everywhere. particularly in salt water / flood prone areas. Then again, Manhattan might see even more power failures if they were still above ground. But in areas like mine which are neither near salt water nor flood prone it might just be a good option.

kf0rt
11-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Yeah, but it wasn't blown over utility poles that caused that. ;)

KK4AMI
11-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Welcome back John. I kept the light on for ya! I think Amuricans are too spread out to efficiently redo the power grid. Personally, I would like to see us go off the grid with individually powered houses. Some how, I seem to be almost there, although it was by accident. Where we live there is too much granite to bust through, so no cable TV, no city water and no gas lines. Our power comes through two bare wires (I guess 3 kV lines suspended a long cheap power poles). If a bear sneezes we lose power or a squirrel decides to climb a fuze at the step down transformers (mmm fried squirrel).

Anyway, I never expected to see the result of hurricanes this far inland but we do. So I bought an 8kW generator for the assorted power failures. I already have two fireplaces, a 350 gallon propane tank for my furnace, well water, satellite TV and a cell phone. All together I can go completely off line for at least a week in any season. Since our corner gas station put in a generator to keep pumping fuel, maybe even longer.

On the other hand, if my house falls into a crevice during an earthquake I guess I should get an LF transceiver :)

KK4AMI
11-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Oh, though I loath saying this, but bless the Chinese for flooding our market with cheap 3kW portable generators?

KG4CGC
11-04-2012, 01:33 PM
You mean disposable generators?

n2ize
11-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Welcome back John. I kept the light on for ya! I think Amuricans are too spread out to efficiently redo the power grid. Personally, I would like to see us go off the grid with individually powered houses. Some how, I seem to be almost there, although it was by accident. Where we live there is too much granite to bust through, so no cable TV, no city water and no gas lines. Our power comes through two bare wires (I guess 3 kV lines suspended a long cheap power poles). If a bear sneezes we lose power or a squirrel decides to climb a fuze at the step down transformers (mmm fried squirrel).

I have a friend who lives up in the Adirondacks and his power system is much like you describe. His power goes out frequently. Round here the sysyem is a bit sturdier. I think they run 15-20kv feeders. Con Ed upgraded many of the poles, cables, transformers and hardware sometime in the 1970's. BI think part of it had to do with replacing the old PCB filled xfmrs like the one that stood on the pole out in front of my place. Now we have 1 xfmr that runs the whole block.... I guess it doesn;t matter much how old or new it is. A hurricane is going to break lots of stuff no matter what.

Anyway, I never expected to see the result of hurricanes this far inland but we do. So I bought an 8kW generator for the assorted power failures. I already have two fireplaces, a 350 gallon propane tank for my furnace, well water, satellite TV and a cell phone. All together I can go completely off line for at least a week in any season. Since our corner gas station put in a generator to keep pumping fuel, maybe even longer.

I was amazed when i was driving through the Carolina's from east to west and saw how far inland the effects of hurricane Hugo reached. This most recent hurricane sure as heck woke up the northeast as to how vulnerable we really area. I could only imagine how much worst it would have been if this came ashore as a category 2, 3, or 4 hurricane. This one was bad enough.

I like the idea of getting off the grid altogether or, as needed. I think a good solution is to use both. You stay on the grid and you also make your own power. If you run short you can pull power off the grid. If you produce a surplus you send it back into the grid and the power company pays you. Photovoltaic solar panels might be a good investment. But still, an emergency generator is a worthwhile investment in the event all else fails.

On the other hand, if my house falls into a crevice during an earthquake I guess I should get an LF transceiver :)
True... VLF will be the way to go,,,

n2ize
11-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Oh, though I loath saying this, but bless the Chinese for flooding our market with cheap 3kW portable generators?

Yeah... and some of them are well made too. I am definitely going to get one soon. Very important investment, particulartly if this type of weather becomes more frequent. And it seems in the last couple of years it certainly has.

ki4itv
11-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah... and some of them are well made too. I am definitely going to get one soon. Very important investment, particulartly if this type of weather becomes more frequent. And it seems in the last couple of years it certainly has.

Soon might be a good idea. The models are depicting a Nor'easter for you guys in the 90-110hr range.
heads up.

KG4CGC
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM

If you get a Honda, all you'll have to do is put gas in it and start it. It will be around for years. If you get a Chinese generator, you'll use it once the way it's supposed to be used and after that you'll be cobbling together repairs to keep it running. You can't get parts when you need it to run during a bad situation. Some have been known to catch on fire. They are disposable and anyone will tell you that except the guy who is selling them.

KJ3N
11-04-2012, 05:56 PM
If you get a Honda, all you'll have to do is put gas in it and start it. It will be around for years. If you get a Chinese generator, you'll use it once the way it's supposed to be used and after that you'll be cobbling together repairs to keep it running. You can't get parts when you need it to run during a bad situation. Some have been known to catch on fire. They are disposable and anyone will tell you that except the guy who is selling them.

Still going after 30+ years, and I'm not the original owner.

n2ize
11-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Soon might be a good idea. The models are depicting a Nor'easter for you guys in the 90-110hr range.
heads up.

Ah, a good ol' Nor'easter. This is northeaster season.Except for this particular most recent hurricane the nor'easter have done more damage here than most hurricanes. They are expecting it may give us snow on Wednesday and then rain and wind on Thursday. This is going to be a typical nor'easter for us but is going to be rough for those on the already clobbered and devastated Jersey coast. Last thing they need is more wind and rain.

KC2UGV
11-05-2012, 11:06 AM
same here Paul. No much rain. River didn't rise much above normal. The winds however were ferocious.

Well, it's good to see you around here John. I guess it's a good thing you didn't bother to get your antenna up prior to this storm, eh? :chuckle:

n2ize
11-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Well, it's good to see you around here John. I guess it's a good thing you didn't bother to get your antenna up prior to this storm, eh? :chuckle:
Thank you. yeah, for a while there i wasn't sure how I would manage here. Those winds really got ferocious when that storm hit land 200 miles to my south. I was really worried that one or more of my big trees would snap and crash through the roof. I was outside for a minute during the storm and I got hit with a gust of wind that felt like it would knock me over. Funny thing is if I had gotten that antenna up a couple weeks ago it might have stayed up. Aside from a few medium sized branches coming down and blowing horizontally across the yard everything more or less held up okay. Other places not far from me were not so fortunate.

Well, I hope that next time round I can mange as well as I did. Electricity I can manage without. But not having a nice warm shower for 5 days... was not fun. :(

N2NH
11-06-2012, 05:40 AM
heads up.

Weather Underground has the nor'easter forecast and they are forecasting snow for tomorrow and Thursday here. Hope they're wrong, but we are making plans right now.

n2ize
11-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Weather Underground has the nor'easter forecast and they are forecasting snow for tomorrow and Thursday here. Hope they're wrong, but we are making plans right now.

Welcome to the North country. ;) Most of the time I actually like the snow. I enjoy it.

kc2zfa
11-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Another storm will certainly result in more of the heightened hilarity engendered by riding NJTransit.

Now I don't have to go to Tokyo to experience Tokyo Subway scenes...and the gratuitous cursing and shoving is just icing on the cake.

N2NH
11-06-2012, 09:59 PM
17° at dawn this morning. Waited for the bus and it was a piece of cake. The locals here keep telling me that NYC is colder and so far they're right. Only my neuropathy was worse than normal, but mostly tolerable. We have dry cold and NYC has moister cold. That means the wind has a bit more volume and you can feel the difference. Winds are a bit stronger in the city under normal conditions too. The tall buildings don't help matters either.

There was frost on the ground this morning. If it snows, it'll probably stick. The nice thing about up here is that the roads get cleared pretty fast.

kb2vxa
11-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I just got back from the shelter and now comes the 1-2 punch. Wires still down all over the place circuited around as a quick fix so the grid is held together with spit and a prayer. I expect another outage and the heat goes with it so I'll be bundled up like an Eskimo with a scanner running off a 7.5AH gel battery for company. Here we go again, now I'm thinking I should have stayed in the shelter where life's a bitch but at least it's warm.

KC2UGV
11-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I just got back from the shelter and now comes the 1-2 punch. Wires still down all over the place circuited around as a quick fix so the grid is held together with spit and a prayer. I expect another outage and the heat goes with it so I'll be bundled up like an Eskimo with a scanner running off a 7.5AH gel battery for company. Here we go again, now I'm thinking I should have stayed in the shelter where life's a bitch but at least it's warm.

Hang in there man. If you need to, can you head back to the shelter?

WØTKX
11-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Warren! :agree:

n2ize
11-07-2012, 11:23 AM
17° at dawn this morning. Waited for the bus and it was a piece of cake. The locals here keep telling me that NYC is colder and so far they're right. Only my neuropathy was worse than normal, but mostly tolerable. We have dry cold and NYC has moister cold. That means the wind has a bit more volume and you can feel the difference. Winds are a bit stronger in the city under normal conditions too. The tall buildings don't help matters either.

There was frost on the ground this morning. If it snows, it'll probably stick. The nice thing about up here is that the roads get cleared pretty fast.
If you want to feel real cold move up to the Adirondacks. It's not uncommon for temps to go down well below zero, sometimes -20 to -40 below depending on your particular location.

n2ize
11-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Glad to hear you are okay. Yeah, I am already getting rain, snow and mild winds from the approaciing and intensifying nor'easter' There is plenty of cold air in place for this storm to thrive on. Unlike hurricanes which love warm aire, nor'easters love cold aire. Stay safe, nor'easters can be as bad as hurricanes, especially in coastal areas that have already been clobbered by hurricanes. Stay safe. Go to the shelter if need be.

N2NH
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
If you want to feel real cold move up to the Adirondacks. It's not uncommon for temps to go down well below zero, sometimes -20 to -40 below depending on your particular location.

No thanks. With the nerve damage I suffer from, the last thing I need is more cold to set if off even worse. I like the cold, but my legs do not. Still resting today from the pain caused by yesterday. At least I'm not in the hospital.

N1LAF
11-07-2012, 03:18 PM

It is snowing right now, Wednesday afternoon.

n2ize
11-07-2012, 03:24 PM
It is snowing right now, Wednesday afternoon.

It's coming down like a blizzard here right now. Wind and moderate-heavy snow. And the snow is sticking to the ground. And its going to stay around the freezing mark throughout the duration of this storm so I am expecting to see perhaps a few inches or so by the time this thing leaves the area. This is a real nor'easter. Fueled by cold air it's pulling cold air down and keeping the temperatures down. Perfect snowstorm weather. Fortunately most of the tree leaves are gone so hopefully we won;t see the kind of damage as last year. Plus last weeks hurricane knocked down almost everything that could be knocked down.

N1LAF
11-07-2012, 03:39 PM
It's coming down like a blizzard here right now. Wind and moderate-heavy snow. And the snow is sticking to the ground. And its going to stay around the freezing mark throughout the duration of this storm so I am expecting to see perhaps a few inches or so by the time this thing leaves the area. This is a real nor'easter. Fueled by cold air it's pulling cold air down and keeping the temperatures down. Perfect snowstorm weather. Fortunately most of the tree leaves are gone so hopefully we won;t see the kind of damage as last year. Plus last weeks hurricane knocked down almost everything that could be knocked down.

Yeah, same here. The lawn has a light coating of snow now. Will probably be 60 by weekend...

N2NH
11-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Snow started 15 minutes ago and coming down harder by the minute here. High winds and snow sheets blowing off of the roofs here already.

It has started sticking to the ground.

NQ6U
11-07-2012, 03:43 PM
80 degrees Farenheit here. Had to turn on the A/C in the classroom.

N1LAF
11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
From Accuweather:

UPDATES:
2:00 p.m. EST: New Britain and Plainville, Conn., have both received 2.0 inches of snow from the nor'easter.

1:45 p.m. EST: We have compiled a collection of snow photos from the nor'easter.

1:00 p.m. EST: The heaviest bands of snow are still located over western Connecticut.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/live-noreaster-whipping-sandyr/1215332

N2CHX
11-07-2012, 03:47 PM
40 and clear at this end of the state. Supposed to get a little rain on Friday and by Sunday it's supposed to be almost 70 again. What'd you downstaters do to piss god off?

N2NH
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Just weatherized the AC here. The wind was blowing inside through it.

n2ize
11-07-2012, 04:04 PM

It might be 80 or 90 degrees here next week and I may be putting the air conditioner on again, That may be followed by a blizzard the week after. The kind of crazy weather we get these days I expect that anything can happen from one day to the next.

n2ize
11-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Unlike a hurricane which thrives on warm air a nor'easter thrives on cold air and there was plenty od that in place. So the situation is ideal for snow as the storm continues to pull in cold air. Last winter we didn't see many nor'easters because much of the cold arctic air was locked well to our north. This year we seem to be getting off on a different foot, although it is still too early to tell for sure.

n2ize
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Here is a bit of irony. A couple blocks away there is a tree. It is half dead and leans precariously at a 45 degree angle over the roadway. The attitude of the city is basically, "when it falls it falls", they have no plans to remove it in advance. If it kills someone the city has deep pockets. The irony is that it has lasted through storm after storm. While healthy, strong, stout trees have been toppled this tree has stood its ground. I was sure that it would most definitely be gone after this more recent storm. But while others fell it still stands, leaning ominously over the road at its steep angle.

N7YA
11-07-2012, 08:15 PM
We have just been told our weather will start to cool off to the 70's for highs.

WØTKX
11-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Good roots? :dunno:

kb2vxa
11-07-2012, 10:31 PM
"What'd you downstaters do to piss god off?"

Your guess is as good as mine Kel, at least the high winds didn't develop from the nor'easter. It was breezy early but when the snow started things calmed down. It should stop tomorrow but meanwhile it's pretty messy outside, we always get the wet stuff.

N2NH
11-08-2012, 08:28 AM
"What'd you downstaters do to piss god off?"

Your guess is as good as mine Kel, at least the high winds didn't develop from the nor'easter. It was breezy early but when the snow started things calmed down. It should stop tomorrow but meanwhile it's pretty messy outside, we always get the wet stuff.

I gotta figure it's just natural cycles.

The nor'easter was interesting here, high winds, about 3" of snow mostly on the grass. The wind cleared most of the walkways and roads from what I can see. Nothing like Sandy though.

The thermometer sez 40° right now, but nothing is melting.

n2ize
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I gotta figure it's just natural cycles.

The nor'easter was interesting here, high winds, about 3" of snow mostly on the grass. The wind cleared most of the walkways and roads from what I can see. Nothing like Sandy though.

The thermometer sez 40° right now, but nothing is melting.
That''s unusual. It's colder down here than it is up where you live. Sounds like we got more snow too. The roadways were covered as well. Well, I can understand the snow, being closer to the coast we probably got more snow. But with respect to temperature usually it's the exact opposite. This weather is weird. Next week it may be 90 degrees with strong thunderstorms and twisters.. Nothing would surprise me these days.

N2NH
11-08-2012, 04:24 PM
That''s unusual. It's colder down here than it is up where you live. Sounds like we got more snow too. The roadways were covered as well. Well, I can understand the snow, being closer to the coast we probably got more snow. But with respect to temperature usually it's the exact opposite. This weather is weird. Next week it may be 90 degrees with strong thunderstorms and twisters.. Nothing would surprise me these days.

Looks like we got about 3" total, and now it's all gone. The ground here was already frozen so it held the snow longer even though the air temperature was above freezing. But, yeah, strange days are here. We went up to 48° today; not bad for after a nor'easter. It was in the 50s in the city and the forecast is 63° on Sunday. They're even saying (on Channel 4) that some areas will be close to 70°.

I think winter is going to be short and furious again this year.

n2ize
11-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Looks like we got about 3" total, and now it's all gone. The ground here was already frozen so it held the snow longer even though the air temperature was above freezing. But, yeah, strange days are here. We went up to 48° today; not bad for after a nor'easter. It was in the 50s in the city and the forecast is 63° on Sunday. They're even saying (on Channel 4) that some areas will be close to 70°.

I think winter is going to be short and furious again this year.

Well, if this winter is anything like last winter I won't be putting my summer short sleeved shirts or summer shorts away, Last winter was the mildest and most uneventful winter I have experienced since I can remember. Don;t let the surge of mild weather early next week fool you though. It can turn bitter cold days later then turn hot a few days after that.

N2NH
11-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Well, if this winter is anything like last winter I won't be putting my summer short sleeved shirts or summer shorts away, Last winter was the mildest and most uneventful winter I have experienced since I can remember. Don;t let the surge of mild weather early next week fool you though. It can turn bitter cold days later then turn hot a few days after that.

Just saw the Channel 7 news and they pretty much said what I said. Every winter that had a measurable snowfall in early November had lower than average seasonal snowfall. The last 5 or 6 times this has happened, the seasonal snowfall was under 3" for the year.

Get that natural cycle out. :yes:

n2ize
11-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Just saw the Channel 7 news and they pretty much said what I said. Every winter that had a measurable snowfall in early November had lower than average seasonal snowfall. The last 5 or 6 times this has happened, the seasonal snowfall was under 3" for the year.

Get that natural cycle out. :yes:

Let's not forget the LAF-GRAF :snicker:

N2NH
11-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Let's not forget the LAF-GRAF :snicker:

Oh, and the newest member of the group, the guns'll fixit.