PDA

View Full Version : Fedora + Liveusb + Data Persistance

n2ize
10-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi

I created a bootable live image of Fedora 16 on a usb flash drive. It boots and runs fine. I can add users, download and install software, change configurations, etc. But when i log off and shut down the next time I reboot all those changes will have disappeared. There is no data persistence.

Anyone know how I can enable data persistence ? Can it be done after the fact or, am I going to have to re-create the Live USB ?? From what I have been reading it appears it will have to be recreated.

n2ize
10-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Actually, I think I got it. II updated the USB stick to Fedora 17, did an --mbr-reset and also allocated for persistent storage overlay. We'll see how well it works when i try and give ita boot.

KK4AMI
10-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Well good! At least you didn't need to nail the data to a board and super glue it :)

n2ize
10-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Works but Fedora 17 isn't seeing my network... Hey ... come on guys... Fedora 16 picks it up no problem. This ain't rocket science or bleeding edge stuff. This is a basic hard wired ethernet.

KK4AMI
10-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Do you have a generic 3com network card you can put in there. Almost everything recognizes those. That will get you connected to the Internet so you can find the correct driver for your motherboard network connection. Otherwise, I guess you could download it to a thumb drive (since you are on the net) and transfer it

W4GPL
10-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Yes, obviously the right solution is a work around and not addressing the problem. What chipset is Ethernet adapter?

KK4AMI
10-26-2012, 05:26 AM
Yes, obviously the right solution is a work around and not addressing the problem. What chipset is Ethernet adapter?

That's me "Ol Work Around". I take it you are going to go into Code and ./script/driver-select him the right driver? I haven't figured all that stuff out yet. I'm still learning about Linux.

KC2UGV
10-26-2012, 06:34 AM
That's me "Ol Work Around". I take it you are going to go into Code and ./script/driver-select him the right driver? I haven't figured all that stuff out yet. I'm still learning about Linux.

No. Generally, it's very easy to get the NIC working. It very well might be blacklisted in modprobe, and needs a line uncommented.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Do you have a generic 3com network card you can put in there. Almost everything recognizes those. That will get you connected to the Internet so you can find the correct driver for your motherboard network connection. Otherwise, I guess you could download it to a thumb drive (since you are on the net) and transfer it

I might, but every fedora distro has recognized my cards going back to Fedora Core 1. In Fedora 16 it worked fine. It is possible I may have to install a suitable driver. But that is weird. It should work out of the box.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 03:06 PM
No. Generally, it's very easy to get the NIC working. It very well might be blacklisted in modprobe, and needs a line uncommented.

I'll have to check. This is a plain ol fashion hard wired NIC.

W4GPL
10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
There's a few "plain ol fashioned wired NICs" that still require a firmware package. It's possible that package is just not installed on your LiveCD.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 06:07 PM
There's a few "plain ol fashioned wired NICs" that still require a firmware package. It's possible that package is just not installed on your LiveCD.

Seems that way, Maybe its so old they dropped it.

KC2UGV
10-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Seems that way, Maybe its so old they dropped it.

What is the chipset?

lspci -l output? Any errors in dmesg?

n2ize
10-27-2012, 10:34 AM
What is the chipset?

lspci -l output? Any errors in dmesg?

Macronix, Inc MX987x5. Seems to be using one of the "tulip" drivers on my installed system and works fine. But if I try and boot the live-USB version of Fedora 17 it doesn't work. it seems to recognize the card is there and seems to know which driver is needed but all I get is "no network/cable unplugged ?". Messages. When I boot a Fedora 16 live-usb the network comes up and works fine.

When I boot the same fedora 17 live-usb on the system in the next room the network comes up fine and works like a champ.

KC2UGV
10-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Macronix, Inc MX987x5. Seems to be using one of the "tulip" drivers on my installed system and works fine. But if I try and boot the live-USB version of Fedora 17 it doesn't work. it seems to recognize the card is there and seems to know which driver is needed but all I get is "no network/cable unplugged ?". Messages. When I boot a Fedora 16 live-usb the network comes up and works fine.

When I boot the same fedora 17 live-usb on the system in the next room the network comes up fine and works like a champ.

Boot the livecd, and try this at the cli:

su -; modprobe tulip

KK4AMI
10-27-2012, 11:46 AM
I followed the words of a sage computer guru on this thread. When in doubt Google it. I hope this helps, some of it is old.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/need-help-with-drivers-for-ethernet-cards-810875/

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=185800

NQ6U
10-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Did you make sure you've got your grid current dipped properly and that the SWR is below 2:1?

n2ize
10-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Boot the livecd, and try this at the cli:

su -; modprobe tulip

Before I tried this I did an "$ lsmod" and the tulip driver showed up in the list. So, I did a "$ rmmod tulip" then did a "$ su -;modprobe tulip" followed by a "$ lsmod" to make sure the driver was loaded and, it was definitely in the list. But, still no networking whatsoever. It just gives me the error "cable unplugged ?" and of course it is plugged in.

In short the system seems to be recognizing the card and seems to be installing the correct drivers. So either it is a kernel bug or a bug in the driver itself. Perhaps I can do some research and see if there is a bug. I might have to compile a new kernel + patch or maybe I can patch / fixthe driver. yes, on a couple of occasions I have actually edited driver source code and recompiled to fix bugs. That was the only way I got my graphics driver working many distros ago, Or, I can see if I have another NIC with a different chipset laying around... might be the easiest fix.

Any other help or suggestions appreciated.

KC2UGV
10-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Before I tried this I did an "$ lsmod" and the tulip driver showed up in the list. So, I did a "$ rmmod tulip" then did a "$ su -;modprobe tulip" followed by a "$ lsmod" to make sure the driver was loaded and, it was definitely in the list. But, still no networking whatsoever. It just gives me the error "cable unplugged ?" and of course it is plugged in.

In short the system seems to be recognizing the card and seems to be installing the correct drivers. So either it is a kernel bug or a bug in the driver itself. Perhaps I can do some research and see if there is a bug. I might have to compile a new kernel + patch or maybe I can patch / fixthe driver. yes, on a couple of occasions I have actually edited driver source code and recompiled to fix bugs. That was the only way I got my graphics driver working many distros ago, Or, I can see if I have another NIC with a different chipset laying around... might be the easiest fix.

Any other help or suggestions appreciated.

rmmod tulip ; modprobe ne2000

Try it then. If it works with ne2000, then we know we need a different driver, which may not be the tulip driver, and it's being loaded mistakenly.

Which driver loads on the FC16 install?

n2ize
10-29-2012, 10:25 AM
rmmod tulip ; modprobe ne2000

Try it then. If it works with ne2000, then we know we need a different driver, which may not be the tulip driver, and it's being loaded mistakenly.

Which driver loads on the FC16 install?

This machine has a full FC12 install. In there it is loading "tulip" and working. Ditto when I tried a FC16 live-usb install. It loaded tulip and worked. Something got broken in FC17. When I rry ro run the Fedora 17 live-cd it loads tulip as well but it don;t work. :(

KC2UGV
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
This machine has a full FC12 install. In there it is loading "tulip" and working. Ditto when I tried a FC16 live-usb install. It loaded tulip and worked. Something got broken in FC17. When I rry ro run the Fedora 17 live-cd it loads tulip as well but it don;t work. :(

I would stick a RTL8139 on there, and do a yum update