PDA

View Full Version : George / AMR ?

n2ize
10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Anyone hear from George / W2AMR lately. Usually he posts here pretty regularly but I haven't seen anything from him in a while ?

KB3LAZ
10-25-2012, 09:47 AM
He posted today. :P

KC2UGV
10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Anyone hear from George / W2AMR lately. Usually he posts here pretty regularly but I haven't seen anything from him in a while ?

I'll hit him up on Facebook. He's been posting there.

n2ize
10-25-2012, 10:58 AM
I'll hit him up on Facebook. He's been posting there.
Okay, I am glad to hear that. Just wanted to make sure he is ok.

WØTKX
10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Well, he does have a working antenna and stuff. :stickpoke: :neener:

KJ3N
10-25-2012, 11:31 AM

:rofl:

n2ize
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM

He does. Back in the 80's and 90's George, Phil and I used to talk on 75 into the wee hours of the morning. George is a great person, an old friend and I am glad to know all is well.

N2NH
10-25-2012, 12:25 PM

NO! :lol:

WØTKX
10-25-2012, 05:52 PM
I've had an antenna working for about a month now, and even said HEY to some AMers on 75.

I think I was the only one who was sober, but that's OK... we had fun.

n2ize
10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I've had an antenna working for about a month now, and even said HEY to some AMers on 75.

I think I was the only one who was sober, but that's OK... we had fun.

I'll post an aerial view of this place. You'll see why I can only put up antennas in the winter. In the spring/summer/fall months you cannot see this QTH. It is shrouded from view in dense foliage. A few weeks ago I made 10 attempts to fire a line upward. All I got was tangled broken lines and lost sinkers.

The area circled in yellow is my QTH. Beleive it or not there is a house and a garage buried somewhere under all that green. The roofs you see to the left and right are my immediate neighbors homes. My home is between them and is totally shrouded from view. This is indeed the witch's cottage in the tiny but extremely dense dark forest BTW don;t be fooled by the density. Some of those trees are very tall.

KJ3N
10-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I'll post an aerial view of this place. You'll see why I can only put up antennas in the winter. In the spring/summer/fall months you cannot see this QTH. It is shrouded from view in dense foliage. A few weeks ago I made 10 attempts to fire a line upward. All I got was tangled broken lines and lost sinkers.

The area circled in yellow is my QTH. Beleive it or not there is a house and a garage buried somewhere under all that green. The roofs you see to the left and right are my immediate neighbors homes. My home is between them and is totally shrouded from view. This is indeed the witch's cottage in the tiny but extremely dense dark forest BTW don;t be fooled by the density. Some of those trees are very tall.

Well, after Sandy gets through with you, put up the damned antenna. ;)

KG4CGC
10-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Well, George. Would you like to say "Hello" to our studio audience?

WØTKX
10-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Tappa Tappa is this thing on?

N7YA
10-26-2012, 03:46 AM

Zin-GAH!

N7YA
10-26-2012, 03:47 AM

That is awesome! You can hide some neat antennas in there.

N8YX
10-26-2012, 05:25 AM
I think he's battening down the hatches for what could turn out to be an epic soaking come next Tuesday.

N2NH
10-26-2012, 07:34 AM
I think he's battening down the hatches for what could turn out to be an epic soaking come next Tuesday.

Hmmm... might even turn the Pine Barrens a lighter shade of black.

W3WN
10-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Okay, I am glad to hear that. Just wanted to make sure he is ok.He may be mourning the lost season of the Phillies.

Of course, Pirates fans have long since stopped bothering to sit shiva. We know team ownership is going to sabotage the season... again...

W3WN
10-26-2012, 08:27 AM

The area circled in yellow is my QTH. Beleive it or not there is a house and a garage buried somewhere under all that green. The roofs you see to the left and right are my immediate neighbors homes. My home is between them and is totally shrouded from view. This is indeed the witch's cottage in the tiny but extremely dense dark forest BTW don;t be fooled by the density. Some of those trees are very tall.You need to have a word with a young kid who's a tree climber. Put a vertical at the top of one of those trees, once the leaves are down (something like a 14AVQ), and run some counterpoise underneath it (look into making the equivalent of the Butternut STR Stub Tuned Radials)

Also consider a Flag Pole Vertical in your front yard.

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
He's probably better off collecting the cars and animals and getting the hell out of Dodge.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
You need to have a word with a young kid who's a tree climber. Put a vertical at the top of one of those trees, once the leaves are down (something like a 14AVQ), and run some counterpoise underneath it (look into making the equivalent of the Butternut STR Stub Tuned Radials)

Also consider a Flag Pole Vertical in your front yard.

Well, that young kid had better be insured. :) Last thing I need is for my "landlord" to get hit with a major lawsuit... A couple years ago there was supposed to be some tree trimming done here. I was prepared to offer the tree men a few bucks to hang a doublet for me while they were up there. But the landlady and the landlord got into a dispute over weather any tree trimming needs to be done at all. The end result, the tree trimming has been postponed indefinitely, perhaps permanently. As far as the dispute over whether tree trimming is needed here, well, I think the picture I posted speaks for itself. :lol:.

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 12:56 PM
John, are you evacuating?

n2ize
10-26-2012, 01:01 PM
He's probably better off collecting the cars and animals and getting the hell out of Dodge.

He is in West Jersey near PA so he may be spared some of the worst weather. Then again he is near the Delaware River so that could contribute to flooding. But I think that those right on the immediate Jersey and Long island coast had better be wary. They may see some significant flooding and tidal flooding.

My area is low lying. We're in a valley and the hills tend to break up some of the strong winds. But still heavy gusts can cause power outages and tree damage. Last year was particularly bad because the trees still had leaves and were weighted down with massive amounts of heavy wet snow. and battered by heavy gusts. It was hard to find a street that did not have significant tree damage. This year temps are forecast to be milder and most of it looks like rain here. Plus the trees have had an extra week to loose some more leaves so, hopefully there won't be as much damge.

Regardless, its going to be one hell of a good dousing.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 01:04 PM
John, are you evacuating?
No, no reason to. I am far enough from the coast to worry about coastal flooding. The worst flooding will be the Bronx River but I am up far enough to avoid it. Worst problem might be tree damage. But, unless we get 100 mph winds I doubt even that . will be as bad as last year when the trees were weighted down with snow. Other than the river flooding even hurricane Irene last year did very little damage round here. Last years October Surprise was worst than Irene.

Manhattan, Brooklyn and Long island stand to have problems. Coastal flooding, beach erosion and, hoigh tides + rising water tends to flood the subways.

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
They're calling it a Frankenstorm and if you're in a low lying area the water could travel at least a 150 miles upstream.
You should consider moving to high ground and be prepared to be without government services for at least a few days and no power for a long while. How canned and dry food you got, and water?

KJ3N
10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
While my tree problem isn't quite as bad as John's, it's not exactly a picnic, either. This satellite photo is a little dated, but here's the placement of most of my antennas.

Fortunately, the antennas are at different elevations, so hopefully there isn't too much interaction.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 02:00 PM
They're calling it a Frankenstorm and if you're in a low lying area the water could travel at least a 150 miles upstream.
You should consider moving to high ground and be prepared to be without government services for at least a few days and no power for a long while. How canned and dry food you got, and water?

Well. we'll have to wait and see how bad it really is. I'm pretty familiar with the flood situation here having survived very bad hurricanes, brutal nor'easters, and heavy rain conditions lasting for days on end. The way the terrain is here is would be extremely hard flooding waters to reach my immediate area. However, I don't doubt that there are many areas where people should consider evacuation. My main concern here is possible tree damage. However, that will largely depend on the amount of wind we get, Fortunately the trees won't be laden with heavy wet snow like last year.

So, as I take it this storm is .supposed to hit sometime during Monday/Tuesday ?

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Well. we'll have to wait and see how bad it really is.
BULLSHIT! Then it will be too late!
Cut the crap excuse making and get the fudge out!

n2ize
10-26-2012, 02:07 PM
BULLSHIT! Then it will be too late!
Cut the crap excuse making and get the fudge out!

I have no place to go. And I doubt that this area is going to be flooded with water. I am on high enough ground.relative to the nearest river. Or, to put it another way, if this area gets buried in water then there will be no safe ground anywhere.. Only thing that would save me would be SCUBA gear and plenty of spare tanks.

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Go to Ohio.

NQ6U
10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Go to Ohio.

John is a Noo Yawkah. He'd rather drown than go to Ohio.

W3WN
10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I have no place to go. And I doubt that this area is going to be flooded with water. I am on high enough ground.relative to the nearest river. Or, to put it another way, if this area gets buried in water then there will be no safe ground anywhere.. Only thing that would save me would be SCUBA gear and plenty of spare tanks.In the immortal words of Bill Cosby:

How long can you tread water?

W3WN
10-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Go to Ohio.I could stick a Cleveland joke in here...

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I could stick a Cleveland joke in here...

Stoolbend Virginia.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Go to Ohio.

I can't. If I have to am willing to accept death. If this storm is so bad that the floodwaters can manage to cover my property and drown me than I and millions of others will be dead.. This storm is predicted to dump at least 5 inches of rain in this area. That will be devastating to many in many areas.. Hurricane Irene dumped even more rain than that last year, 8-9" turning the nearby Bronx River parkway into a huge river. yet the flood waters came nowhere near my area. All I can do is do my best. I will try and batten down the hatches and any excursions outdoors I will try to complete as soon as I can before the worst comes on Monday/Tuesday. .. That is all I can do. I am not underestimating this storm at all and of course I will try and do my best to preserve life. In any event if you never hear from me again you will know probably died. However, somehow I have faith we will survive and we'll be okay. . I think the main issue of this storm is that it will take its time moving away, making recovery slow and difficult.

WØTKX
10-26-2012, 03:04 PM
George prefers Chevy to Dodge anyway.

'IzE needs to use one of his RC helicopters to send fishing line down from the tops of those trees. :yes:

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 03:08 PM
John, where are you getting your info? You'll get over 10 inches of rain for prolonged periods over large areas not including the STORM SURGE of 10 plus feet. Then from the other direction you are expecting to get THREE FEET of snow. The storm is moving slow enough to really wipe out the electric grid for weeks.
You'll have till Monday morning to figure it out. If you wait too long, you could get stuck in traffic and run out of gas standing still.

KJ3N
10-26-2012, 03:16 PM
'IzE needs to use one of his RC helicopters to send fishing line down from the tops of those trees. :yes:

I've actually given that some thought. :yes:

n2ize
10-26-2012, 03:23 PM
John, where are you getting your info? You'll get over 10 inches of rain for prolonged periods over large areas not including the STORM SURGE of 10 plus feet. Then from the other direction you are expecting to get THREE FEET of snow. The storm is moving slow enough to really wipe out the electric grid for weeks.
You'll have till Monday morning to figure it out. If you wait too long, you could get stuck in traffic and run out of gas standing still.

I will be trying to finish the last of my outside business very early Monday. Like I said, I will do the best I can. If I die I die. If it is going to be so bad that everything I know is completely destroyed and everyone dead then i won;t have anything much to live for anyway. I have family members here who need me. I cannot abandon them. If this is the event that is going to end my life then all I can say is it's been grand to know ya. Look for me on that road of lost souls. However, I have faith that I'll live and things will work out.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I've actually given that some thought. :yes:

I thought of that. It would be fun but it;s too risky. It would take a larger size copter for that task that has good wind stability. There is no margin for error, too close to the neighbors and I wouldn't want to get anyone hurt. Iif I had a larger property then yeah, I would give it a go. . Who knows, maybe after Tuesday or Wednesday none of us will need radios or antennas anymore.

Perhaps I should think of building an Ark instead of an antenna. Just call me Noah. ;)

N7YA
10-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I could stick a Cleveland joke in here...

Here ya go!

n2ize
10-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Speaking of storms, who remembers this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

KJ3N
10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Speaking of storms, who remembers this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

I remember this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_blizzard_of_1996

W3WN
10-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Here ya go!

7777Good thing Cleveland Brown is fictional, or he might sue you for that comparison...

W3WN
10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I thought of that. It would be fun but it;s too risky. It would take a larger size copter for that task that has good wind stability. There is no margin for error, too close to the neighbors and I wouldn't want to get anyone hurt. Iif I had a larger property then yeah, I would give it a go. . Who knows, maybe after Tuesday or Wednesday none of us will need radios or antennas anymore.

Perhaps I should think of building an Ark instead of an antenna. Just call me Noah. ;)First things first.

Do you know how big a cubit is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so9o3_daDZw

N7YA
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
A cubit would be dependent on the size of the person measuring with their forearm...just think of what Noah could have built if he had a simple tape measure and a T-square.

A really good 16 penny nailer wouldnt suck either.

N2NH
10-26-2012, 04:31 PM
First things first.

Do you know how big a cubit is?

http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/3lqalone.jpg

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Being a good distance from Charleston SC, I figured Hugo wouldn't do shit around here. We got floods and black outs but Charlotte was SLAMMED!

n2ize
10-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Being a good distance from Charleston SC, I figured Hugo wouldn't do shit around here. We got floods and black outs but Charlotte was SLAMMED!

I remember Hugo. I saw the path it took a year later. Trees snapped like toothpicks. That was a cat 4 or 5 when it slammed in. My parents were planning to vacation on the Carolina coast that year and when they saw the erosion and damage they continued on to Florida.

n2ize
10-26-2012, 05:17 PM
I remember this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_blizzard_of_1996

And I remember this one. I just got home late that Thursday evening and I remember a gust of wind throwing the picnic table over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_1992_nor'easter

NY3V
10-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Go to Ohio.

and vote again

n2ize
10-26-2012, 06:43 PM
and vote again

^^^^ +1000000000000000 :lol:

w2amr
10-27-2012, 04:21 AM
I be here.

w2amr
10-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Looks like the moe foe is headed right at us.

w2amr
10-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Well, George. Would you like to say "Hello" to our studio audience?
Hello

N8YX
10-27-2012, 07:21 AM

You guys batten down the hatches and take care. This one ain't gonna be much fun, if the various model runs hold true.

KJ3N
10-27-2012, 09:48 AM

"It's coming right for us!"

http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/itscoming.jpg

KG4CGC
10-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Grab your shit and head to high ground.

w2amr
10-27-2012, 02:35 PM
You guys batten down the hatches and take care. This one ain't gonna be much fun, if the various model runs hold true.
Tnx Fred, Hoping the GD thing will make a hard right soon.

n2ize
10-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Temperatures for this area are reportedly going to be well above freezing. So I doubt we'll see any snow. But for those folks in higher elevations and inland you might see some heavy snow at some point. This reminds me of the 1992 Nor'easter that slammed the NY/NJ coast and reached way inland up into Albany and beyond. For three - four days the area was battered with huge tide swells, massive floods, 80+ mph winds and torrential rains. Inland areas got several feet of snow. Many had to be evacuated and required emergency help. Friends of mine were without electric for 1-2 weeks. Subways in NYC were turned into canals. Coastal homes were destroyed, boats sank and trees toppled killing people. And the damned thing didn't want to end. Took many days for it to finally head to Nova Scotia. I traveled into upstate NY a day or so after the storm and I couldn't believe how far inland and to the north and west the impact was felt.

Nature is like the Honey Badger. It don't give a fook.

n2ize
10-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Glad to hear all is well George. Didn't notice any posts so I was concerned that all was well.

w2amr
10-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Glad to hear all is well George. Didn't notice any posts so I was concerned that all was well.
Tnx Johnny, all is well. For the moment anyway. :mrgreen:

N2NH
10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Tnx Johnny, all is well. For the moment anyway. :mrgreen:

Seems to be headed more your way George. Hope you have no problems should it continue it's predicted trek. I think NYC is gonna get slammed like a masked wrestler.

n2ize
10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Seems to be headed more your way George. Hope you have no problems should it continue it's predicted trek. I think NYC is gonna get slammed like a masked wrestler.
I think NYC is going to be finished. No way the bridges are going to stand those severe cross winds over the water. They are bad enough in calm weather. Particularly vulnerable are the bridges crossing Manhattan into Brooklyn. That is where the winds are the worst. In this storm they might be ripped down. I think many skyscrapers in NYC might be snapped light toothpicks in these winds. The problem is that the corridors of Manhattan will accelerate these winds to jet like speeds. So while low buildings in wide areas may not feel much of a punch the narrow streets of Manhattan will be like supersonic wind tunnels.

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 10:16 AM
John is a Noo Yawkah. He'd rather drown than go to Ohio.

Who wouldn't.

n2ize
10-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Who wouldn't.

^^^^ +100000000000000000 :lol: Luckily I am not in a flood prone area. Most of our troubles will be damaged trees and power lines. Last years october storm was far more damaging here than Irene. And the 2009 Nor'easter was worst than both. nary a street didn't have at least one downed tree. This year the trees have already lost a lot of their leaves and, there is no snow forecast so the wind loading will hopefully be less. The biggest problems will be those on the shores of the Hudson, NY Harbour, Long island and Long Island Sound. Communities to the east of my QTH need to be careful. In the December 1992 Nor'easter the sound literally flooded their homes and streets forcing evacuation.

w2amr
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Ground speed is up to 15 MPH . Now they say it's going to hit us Monday instead of Tuesday.

N2NH
10-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Ground speed is up to 15 MPH . Now they say it's going to hit us Monday instead of Tuesday.

I'm on information overload here. Wundermaps sez about 4AM Tues. USGS sez about midnight Mon-Tues. I've lost track of what NOAA sez, it changes from hour to hour. They're expecting one heck of a mess in NYC with news going on 24/7 now. I've posted a worst case scenario on the other thread. Looks nasty with between ¼ to ½ of the city underwater. This doesn't include damage to infrastructure like tunnels and railways, possibly bridges.

n2ize
10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
It will be far worst than this terrible storm that hit when I was a kid living in Brooklyn. I have vague memories of this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Donna

n2ize
10-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm on information overload here. Wundermaps sez about 4AM Tues. USGS sez about midnight Mon-Tues. I've lost track of what NOAA sez, it changes from hour to hour. They're expecting one heck of a mess in NYC with news going on 24/7 now. I've posted a worst case scenario on the other thread. Looks nasty with between ¼ to ½ of the city underwater. This doesn't include damage to infrastructure like tunnels and railways, possibly bridges.

I think it might be worst than that. Even 3/4 or more underwater. The subways might be out of commission for months or years or until new tunnels can be dug and fitted with electricity, tracks, etc, And with most of the bridges gone nobody will get in or out of NYC for months. I think this is the end of NYC as we know it.