PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have one rig - which would it be?

N8YX
10-21-2012, 07:56 PM
And why?

I've been fortunate enough to acquire a goodly number of transceivers, receivers and accessories over the years. All have their strong points and Achilles Heels - not a one is what I'd consider the "perfect" rig but each model does a few things very well and offers something to the operator which its peers do not.

All are like old friends - you really wouldn't want to be without them as each brings something unique to the table.

Which one to keep?

Four-way tie here. A pair of FT-726Rs is near the top of the list, as is a set of Drake 7-line twins plus accessories. A Ten-Tec Paragon II and peripherals...I love that radio. And last but definitely not least, an FT-980 w/ FTV-901R transverter and YO-901 scope. All modes; all bands from 160M through 75cm and a very robust feature set.

What's your favorite rig - and what earns it a permanent spot in your lineup?

N2CHX
10-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I'd love to have my Icom 706 back. It was the only digital HF rig I ever owned. Some day when my kids are grown and I can spend money on myself again I will buy a new rig and have a nice setup.

NQ6U
10-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Toss-up between the top of the line Flex and an K-3, with a slight advantage towards the K3 because I get tired of staring at a computer screen sometimes. If you're talking about which of the rigs I currently own, then I'd have to say the IC-736, who's versatility gives it an edge over the TR-7's superior receiver.

Of course, I haven't been a ham all that long and still have all the radios I've ever bought.

WX7P
10-21-2012, 08:12 PM
My late serial number Kenwood TS-930SAT.

That was a great radio both on receive and transmit. I wish I never got rid of it

W3WN
10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
There are more than a few radios that I can think of, that I'd wish I'd held on to -- but for sentimental reasons.

Operationally? I'm not parting with this Ten-Tec Omni VI+. If it was the only HF rig I could have, I could live with it.

KG4CGC
10-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Wish my Corsair had general coverage receive. Loved my TS-570D. Even after the 570 went tits up it still sold for 350.

W3WN
10-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Wish my Corsair had general coverage receive. Loved my TS-570D. Even after the 570 went tits up it still sold for 350.I think that was why the Paragon was introduced... although I don't recall now if that came during the end of the Corsair's run, or during the run of the early Omni's.

W8XLR
10-21-2012, 09:52 PM
After much thought and carefull consideration, I have concluded that if I had to liquidate all of the W8XLR assets, the last gear out the door would be the Drake "B" line apparatus. This is a tough call... My FT-950 is an exellent set of radio, however, it is SMT and firmware defined... not EMP proof or repairable by me with not so good eyesight. I would hate to see the Heathkit twins go (SB-301/401) as they have proven to be exellent, reliable rigs that I have worked the world with - but I cant power them without line voltage/generator...

I have a surplus of other gear, but what makes the Drake twins special, is I have the power supply for 12 volt operation and I can actually SEE the components - as well as understand their design. If push came to shove, I could keep the Drakes on the air indefinitly...

There's my choice...

TESLA
10-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Gold Dust Twins and the TS950SDX

KA9MOT
10-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I only have one rig. The TS-570S(g). If this was my last rig, I'd be very happy. A good performer as good as my old TS-480SAT. I've had many rigs and these have been the best. I'd not change anything. If I had unlimited funds I might move up to the TS-590 and would certainly do something to improve my antenna system. What I have works, but I could see a decent tri-bander at the top of a tower and a 160M loop 100" above the ground. It's fun to dream.

I still see no need to run more than 100W. I usually run 50W or less as it is.

KK4AMI
10-22-2012, 06:48 AM
As a newbie full of wonder and not much experience, I'd like the whole Elecraft K3,P3,KPA500 with K144XV setup. Of course this assumes I can get the wife's life insurance policy...somehow? That setup seems to fit the bill for just about everything.

W4GPL
10-22-2012, 07:38 AM
It's not the fanciest rig.. but I sure liked my TS-480SAT.. it was capable, rugged.. I would and will buy another.

KA9MOT
10-22-2012, 07:50 AM
It's not the fanciest rig.. but I sure liked my TS-480SAT.. it was capable, rugged.. I would and will buy another.

The best sub $1000 rig money can buy. AND it comes with a very good internal tuner. Icom and Yaesu can't even come close.

W3WN
10-22-2012, 07:57 AM
The best sub $1000 rig money can buy. AND it comes with a very good internal tuner. Icom and Yaesu can't even come close.Pity it's receiver sucks.

W4GPL
10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Pity it's receiver sucks.Ain't nothing perfect, Sir. ;)

I can talk like that, I have a 4-call. :-D

KA9MOT
10-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Pity it's receiver sucks.

Compared to what?

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Of the rigs I have, the Flex-3000. If I "liquidated" everything, and bought just one, it would probably be the new Flex 6700. I've become very Flex-able. But the problem is... I won't do that. I like having multiple rigs to play with. Because I can.

Hope to have SO4R running again soon... Flex 3K, Pegasus and TS-850 on the N4PY software, and the FT-847 for VHF/UHF. I ran that for quite a while in Denver with the FT-857 instead of the FT-847 in the lineup. Can RX all over that way.

MOAR INPUT!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1144/1346524649_8a86082f78.jpg

W3WN
10-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Compared to what?Specifically? A Ten-Tec Corsair II.

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Heck, even a lowly Omni D, eh? I dunno for sure tho, better check the Sherwood Spreadsheet.

W3WN
10-22-2012, 09:17 AM
In all fairness, there were a lot of things about the TS-480SAT I liked. I regret not taking advantage of having 6 meters, though I never had an antenna for it. I really liked the flexibility I had with some of the filter settings (and adding the narrow CW filter didn't hurt either). The internal auto tuner was nice, and it can easily spoil someone. And had I realized that my problems getting it to work on digital were not radio or cable related, but were due to some funky Compaq settings on the internal sound card... nah, I still would make that trade though.

However, with all that said, the 480 wasn't really a good fit for me. There's no good way to mount the mobile head in the shack, at least in my shack at the time. I wasn't too thrilled about Kenwood's using, essentially, a 4 wire telephone cable to connect the rig's head to the RF deck. But most importantly, for my purposes, it had two major drawbacks:

(1) Front end overload. Suffice to say that every time WQ3T fired his rig up (and he lives, literally, a block away from me) on 80 or 40 meters, the band was useless to me. Front end was wiped out. I'd switch to the Corsair -- and as long as I wasn't within about 3 kc of him, I wouldn't know he was on the air.

We won't even discuss what happened when I tried to use the 480 in a contest.

(2) Reception. Signals I could barely hear on the 480 came in 5x5 or better on the Corsair. Same antenna, same frequency, just a flip of a coax switch. It wasn't a cabling issue, either (I checked that). I just plain couldn't hear on the 480. It was as simple as that.

KA9MOT
10-22-2012, 09:36 AM
OK, I never had any Overload problems, and I liked the remote mounted head (I loved the fact that I could run the rig using software and leave the head in the box... high coolness factor). I do know that there are many rigs with better receivers..... however, you have to spend significantly more money to beat the receiver in the TS-480.

I find it frustrating that some people insist on comparing the TS-480 to the Icom IC-7000 and the K3. They are in 2 entirely different price classes. Apples/Oranges. You have to spend more than $1000 (New) to beat it.

I've not experienced the Corsair.... I have had the opportunity to play with other Ten-Tec rigs and I will be the first to say they are exceptional.

K7SGJ
10-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Yeah, but it's a bitch trying to load your apple into a dipole. Your orange, on the other hand..................................

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 10:26 AM
My TS-850 gets a bit overloaded at times. The Pegasus and the Flex are better in that regard. But it's got a purty face, and it's very listenable. The DSP-100 helps, and after having that accessory for a while, I consider it an integral part of the radio. Sure, it's more noticeable on TX for playing with wider SSB, but it's surprisingly helpful on RX when conditions are noisy and crowded.

wa6mhz
10-22-2012, 11:38 AM
I bought a 1980 Yaesu FT-107M thinking it was the BEST rig I had ever owned. WRONG! But I had paid BIG DOLLARS for it, and now I am stuck with it. Oh, it works..... But not as well as I need.

Meanwhile, my old standby rig, which is now in service as a Digital modes rig, is the Icom IC-736, just like the one Carl has.
I thought it might be numb, but I fixed the preamp which was evidently blown up by a lightning strike. So it is in perfect shape now. But the 107 is my MAIN rig for DXing. It has it's problems. It tunes too fast. No fast or slow tuning rate, only fast. And the CW filter stuff doesn't work as well as I need.

So there is only ONE radio that will do, and I need WORSE than EVER!!! yes, the Yaesu FTdx5000, which I cannot scrape up enough money to get. One doesn't just come up with SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS unless U are a TRUST FUND KID. They can come up with TENS of thousands. But an awful lotta 5000s are being sold, so alotta hams must be very RICH! Some even in my San Diego DX Club. If U aren't a SERIOUS DXer, it is a great OVERKILL rig. A Swan 350 will do fine for general ragchewers. But when I need MAXIMUM Performance, only a rig like the FTdx5000 can do the job.

An SX-88? I only want one of those for it's beauty and maybe some light Shortwave listenning. No good for serious DXing!
DXing is SERIOUS BUSINESS, and if you don't have the best radio money can buy, you can LOSE valuable contacts!

So I continue to search for ways to come up with 6 LARGE which DOESN'T involve selling off most of my vintage radios to get. That is the universal whine I get: "SELL SOME RADIOS!!!!"
SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH???? That is ALOT of radios! So I have to look to other avenues of making that kind of money. Loan Sharks, drug deals, smuggling, holding up banks, hit man, etc. All not particularly safe ventures. But it isn't easy to come up with that kinda cash. My best hope is to find a bag of drug cash stashed in the hills. But we saw what happened to the guy in "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN". That didn't work out so well for him.

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 12:08 PM
If you took inventory of your duplicate radios in the Crest Museum, and sold 'em off, you could probably buy that FTdx5000. Not mention having space to view and appreciate the remaining rigs. Just sayin'. But, yaknowhat? I understand, Pat.

Could buy the new Flex 6700 if I sold most of my other rigs. I like my mini Ten Tec museum, dammit.
Ain't gonna do it. :snooty:

wa6mhz
10-22-2012, 12:42 PM
There really aren't that many duplicates, except for heathkit Twoers. I do have a 2nd Knightkit TR-108 and TR-106, a couple of SB-301s, a couple of Hallicrafters S-40s and a 2nd DX-40. But added up, these are $10 and $20 radios and all sold off would not net me more than a couple hundred bucks at the very most. I can write a check for a couple hundred bucks, so that does me no good whatsoever. I need SIX THOUSAND! (Oh, plus Tax!). I can come up with maybe 1/6 of that by scraping away bank accounts and playing with money. That leaves FIVE THOUSAND more! So, despite all the myths that selling radios will get me money, it just isn't true. I would get a LITTLE money, but I need a LOT of money. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of money! Even liquidating the whole museum won't get me that much unless I sell each piece at a time on Ebay to maximize the take. Then there is the BIG hassle of shipping the stuff. And it IS a big hassle! So I have to find ANOTHER way to get the 6Gs, and selling radios is NOT it!

KG4CGC
10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
There really aren't that many duplicates, except for heathkit Twoers. I do have a 2nd Knightkit TR-108 and TR-106, a couple of SB-301s, a couple of Hallicrafters S-40s and a 2nd DX-40. But added up, these are $10 and $20 radios and all sold off would not net me more than a couple hundred bucks at the very most. I can write a check for a couple hundred bucks, so that does me no good whatsoever. I need SIX THOUSAND! (Oh, plus Tax!). I can come up with maybe 1/6 of that by scraping away bank accounts and playing with money. That leaves FIVE THOUSAND more! So, despite all the myths that selling radios will get me money, it just isn't true. I would get a LITTLE money, but I need a LOT of money. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of money! Even liquidating the whole museum won't get me that much unless I sell each piece at a time on Ebay to maximize the take. Then there is the BIG hassle of shipping the stuff. And it IS a big hassle! So I have to find ANOTHER way to get the 6Gs, and selling radios is NOT it!

LOL! You have a quarter mil tied up in your collection, easy. I've watched the price of used stuff double in the last 2 years. Strange in this economy but it's a sellers market because of a couple of big buyers overseas. Bigger than the regular rat bastards that you run up upon on Ebay.
All that said, I don't think you'd be happy with a 5000.

K0RGR
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I bought a used Ten Tec Omni VI+ with all the filters earlier this year, with the intention of turning it around next year and using the proceeds to finance a more expensive radio. I may well do that, but right now, I am in love with the Omni VI+! I've never had a rig so easy to use on digital modes, and it works very well on SSB and CW of course, too. I'm really looking forward to the CW Sweepstakes and DX Contest coming soon.

The one rig I'd keep though, would be my FT-817ND. Yes, it's QRP, but for what I do, that's fine most of the time. It doesn't have a great receiver, but it works OK and does all the bands I really care about, and I can add transverters easily for the other bands.

KB3LAZ
10-22-2012, 01:57 PM
I bought a 1980 Yaesu FT-107M thinking it was the BEST rig I had ever owned. WRONG! But I had paid BIG DOLLARS for it, and now I am stuck with it. Oh, it works..... But not as well as I need.

Meanwhile, my old standby rig, which is now in service as a Digital modes rig, is the Icom IC-736, just like the one Carl has.
I thought it might be numb, but I fixed the preamp which was evidently blown up by a lightning strike. So it is in perfect shape now. But the 107 is my MAIN rig for DXing. It has it's problems. It tunes too fast. No fast or slow tuning rate, only fast. And the CW filter stuff doesn't work as well as I need.

So there is only ONE radio that will do, and I need WORSE than EVER!!! yes, the Yaesu FTdx5000, which I cannot scrape up enough money to get. One doesn't just come up with SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS unless U are a TRUST FUND KID. They can come up with TENS of thousands. But an awful lotta 5000s are being sold, so alotta hams must be very RICH! Some even in my San Diego DX Club. If U aren't a SERIOUS DXer, it is a great OVERKILL rig. A Swan 350 will do fine for general ragchewers. But when I need MAXIMUM Performance, only a rig like the FTdx5000 can do the job.

An SX-88? I only want one of those for it's beauty and maybe some light Shortwave listenning. No good for serious DXing!
DXing is SERIOUS BUSINESS, and if you don't have the best radio money can buy, you can LOSE valuable contacts!

So I continue to search for ways to come up with 6 LARGE which DOESN'T involve selling off most of my vintage radios to get. That is the universal whine I get: "SELL SOME RADIOS!!!!"
SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH???? That is ALOT of radios! So I have to look to other avenues of making that kind of money. Loan Sharks, drug deals, smuggling, holding up banks, hit man, etc. All not particularly safe ventures. But it isn't easy to come up with that kinda cash. My best hope is to find a bag of drug cash stashed in the hills. But we saw what happened to the guy in "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN". That didn't work out so well for him.

No swan 350 for me, thank you.

The simple fact of the matter is that the rig that one desires is what will do for them.

A buddy of mine sent me an email just the other day, he decided to opt for the 5k. Uses it to talk local on 10m. :P I think the only contest he has ever entered was a chili cook off. My point is, to each their own.

Now, as for the OP: I am unsure. I dont like the hypothetical game type questions because, until in that situation, I never know what I will do.

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Actually faced that situation when I moved into the city. My choice was my 75S-3A.

Today, it'd be a close race between S-line or a TR-7. But S-line gets the nod.

Reason? Art Collins' incredible talent for making superb radio equipment that excels in every way, including ruggedness and reliability. The S-line stands out as an example of evolving technology; in this case the "gold-dust" twins, the 75A-4 and the KWS-1 evolving into the S-line. S-line stuff is incredibly reliable -- remember those reports of them having their cabinets woefully dented and they still operated just fine? Mr. Collins' efforts to reduce the parts count (therefore boosting reliability) while still maintaining performance is legendary. That's why a KWM-2 is on the top of my list when I go to hamfests. There's a reason that S-line developed such a loyal following that created the "Collins Aura." Sure, there are probably lots and lots of hams who love it simply because it's so damn expensive -- there are people who "know the price of everything and the value of nothing" all over the place, but that doesn't detract from the art, science, and engineering that Art Collins brought to the scene.

And, although, Drake stuff has incredible performance and is a real, solid, pleasure to use (and then some), they don't exhibit the same ruggedness and reliability as S-Line. For a good reason -- to keep the price out of the stratosphere. For example, my TR-7 can be finicky. Needs a far more benign environment than S-Line stuff. that's not a knock on Drake. To be sure, when it's working right it's as great a pleasure to operate as S-Line stuff. But I wouldn't want to have to count on it in an adverse environment.

OTOH, the rice boxes I've had (Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood) appear to be the easiest, least finicky, and most reliable radios I've used. They seem to take any environmental issues in stride and just keep on workin' for years and years with no complaints. In that respect, they are also contenders as "an only rig." They lose out in my list simply because I've grown to hate phase noise. That doesn't really affect performance, just the pure pleasure of operation.

kb2crk
10-22-2012, 07:33 PM
I wish I had my KWM 2 back. complete with the suitcase.....

K7SGJ
10-22-2012, 07:45 PM

The big $$ is all in the advertising, Pat. For example if you start the ad by saying it is from your "personal" collection, or private reserve, that should fetch at least twice the amount. Then there is the photo bingo thing, where you take a picture of someone else's cherry, pristine rig, advertise it as yours, and then send them your piece of shit in a single thin wall box without packing. (Be sure to charge at least triple the actual shipping) You might be able to just put the shipping label right on the rig, without a box.

So you get a little bad feedback. Quantity, not quality, that's where the big bux are. FYB

TESLA
10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Actually faced that situation when I moved into the city. My choice was my 75S-3A.

Today, it'd be a close race between S-line or a TR-7. But S-line gets the nod.

Reason? Art Collins' incredible talent for making superb radio equipment that excels in every way, including ruggedness and reliability. The S-line stands out as an example of evolving technology; in this case the "gold-dust" twins, the 75A-4 and the KWS-1 evolving into the S-line. S-line stuff is incredibly reliable -- remember those reports of them having their cabinets woefully dented and they still operated just fine? Mr. Collins' efforts to reduce the parts count (therefore boosting reliability) while still maintaining performance is legendary. That's why a KWM-2 is on the top of my list when I go to hamfests. There's a reason that S-line developed such a loyal following that created the "Collins Aura." Sure, there are probably lots and lots of hams who love it simply because it's so damn expensive -- there are people who "know the price of everything and the value of nothing" all over the place, but that doesn't detract from the art, science, and engineering that Art Collins brought to the scene.

And, although, Drake stuff has incredible performance and is a real, solid, pleasure to use (and then some), they don't exhibit the same ruggedness and reliability as S-Line. For a good reason -- to keep the price out of the stratosphere. For example, my TR-7 can be finicky. Needs a far more benign environment than S-Line stuff. that's not a knock on Drake. To be sure, when it's working right it's as great a pleasure to operate as S-Line stuff. But I wouldn't want to have to count on it in an adverse environment.

OTOH, the rice boxes I've had (Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood) appear to be the easiest, least finicky, and most reliable radios I've used. They seem to take any environmental issues in stride and just keep on workin' for years and years with no complaints. In that respect, they are also contenders as "an only rig." They lose out in my list simply because I've grown to hate phase noise. That doesn't really affect performance, just the pure pleasure of operation.

"Gold-Dust" Twins FTW! If you get up this way again I'll let you operate mine, nothing quite like it.

W3WN
10-22-2012, 07:52 PM
The big $$ is all in the advertising, Pat. For example if you start the ad by saying it is from your "personal" collection, or private reserve, that should fetch at least twice the amount. Then there is the photo bingo thing, where you take a picture of someone else's cherry, pristine rig, advertise it as yours, and then send them your piece of shit in a single thin wall box without packing. (Be sure to charge at least triple the actual shipping) You might be able to just put the shipping label right on the rig, without a box.

So you get a little bad feedback. Quantity, not quality, that's where the big bux are. FYB

Unlike a certain TN based recently licensed ham (originally from another English speaking country), Pat has a few scruples.

Not many. Just a few.

K7SGJ
10-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Unlike a certain TN based recently licensed ham (originally from another English speaking country), Pat has a few scruples.

Not many. Just a few.

Huh, since the penicillin didn't work, I thought he had the doctor remove those.

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
"Gold-Dust" Twins FTW! If you get up this way again I'll let you operate mine, nothing quite like it.

That's an invitation that simply cannot be refused! Thanks. I'll be PM'ing you to set up arrangements.

n2ize
10-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Give me a Viking 2 CD version or a BC610 and an R390A receiver.

XE1/N5AL
10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
I wish I had my KWM 2 back. complete with the suitcase.....

You brought back childhood memories for me! My 1970's next-door neighbor, Col. John Laken, W4MMW (SK), had a KWM-2A setup in his radio room. As a kid, the price of such a radio was so far out of my range that I couldn't even dream of owning one! It would be nice to own one now, but I have no idea where I would find space to put it.

w0aew
10-23-2012, 12:10 AM
The one I have--Argonaut V.

For digital modes, I just added a transistor switch for PTT (rather than VOX which seems to work just as well). Twenty watts CW is all you need for DX, and the Argonaut is currently hooked up to a 100' doublet via 600-ohm (theoretically) ladder line. I purchased mine new. Can't recall the year (2004?) but mine had the latest firmware and fan. Besides SSB and AM, it'll do FM (for the ten-meter repeaters I assume) altho I don't know what you'd do if CTSS was required. Certainly no good for CW contests due to receiver blocking, but it suits my operating style casual CW and occasional digital. It's my main rig, the others being an HT-37/SX-111 combo and a Yaesu FT-101zd.

N7YA
10-23-2012, 04:29 AM
K3 with all the filters + 6m module. Even if i could have more rigs, i probably wouldnt need them.

Then there IS the TenTec Eagle. :chin:

N8YX
10-23-2012, 07:50 AM
As a kid, the price of such a radio was so far out of my range that I couldn't even dream of owning one!
This is probably why I bought my 7-line stuff. One of my area CB buddies and his father owned one. None of us could believe why they invested $2k+ just to use it on the Class D allocation - and neither of them were known for venturing outside the band nor were they ever observed running a significant amount of output power.

Go figure.

Interesting choice of gear in here, especially the Argo V. I had eyed one of those plus a 6N2 several years back...

KJ3N
10-23-2012, 07:57 AM
K3 with all the filters + 6m module.

Perhaps you meant the 2m module? 6m is standard on a K3.

N7YA
10-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Perhaps you meant the 2m module? 6m is standard on a K3.

Really? Hot damn...soon as i can afford one, im in! :lol:

W3WN
10-23-2012, 08:47 AM
< snip >
It's my main rig, the others being an HT-37/SX-111 combo and a Yaesu FT-101zd.I had that combo, along with a modified HT-41 linear (finals changed to 572B's). It was my primary setup until I got a TS-430S, back in the day, and was eventually my 3rd station, aka the Classic setup.

Unfortunately, I had to part with all of it when we had to vacate the old QTH 10 years ago. But one of these days...

VK3ZL
10-30-2012, 04:01 AM
I am pretty well an exclusive CW operator on 160 meters....I have owned various radios over the years like most hams...I used a TS-830S for many years and for it's day it was a very good radio....The other radio that comes to mind was my Icom 751A which was fully filtered and an MFJ 784B tunable audio filter...Both these radios were excellent for CW....But my favorite radio which I will never part with is my Yaesu FT1000D....This cost me $5000 new fully loaded with filters speaker etc..It has never been used on any other band except 160 and never had a microphone connected..I think that the APF was one of the greatest innovations at the time and that still makes the 1000D one of the top choices of many Topband CW ops...I also have a K3, once more an excellent CW radio but too much additional junk in the programming which I never use..

Bob..VK3ZL..

AE1PT
10-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Only one rig? That's easy, and I already have it.

Icom 751A...

Sensitive receiver, nice to listen to. Great audio on transmit, works all modes easily.

kb2crk
10-31-2012, 12:52 PM
You brought back childhood memories for me! My 1970's next-door neighbor, Col. John Laken, W4MMW (SK), had a KWM-2A setup in his radio room. As a kid, the price of such a radio was so far out of my range that I couldn't even dream of owning one! It would be nice to own one now, but I have no idea where I would find space to put it.

My KWM 2 was an Army MARS radio of which I was a member in the late 90's. A lightning strike left it and my shack (shed) a smoldering mess. It was one of the best radios I ever used.

N8YX
11-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Only one rig? That's easy, and I already have it.

Icom 751A...

Sensitive receiver, nice to listen to. Great audio on transmit, works all modes easily.
Both of mine - along with several of the R71As in the shack - are going to be fitted with a BHI DSP NR module before all is said and done.

I am a huge fan of that genre of Icoms - when a '751A/R71A/PS-35/IC-2KL/AT-500 line is assembled, accessorized/filtered up then placed on the air there's very little that the operator cannot do with it.

Or so I thought.

When the Paragon IIs and Omni VI/V made their way into the shack earlier this year I took a critical look at everything else in use, comparing the existing lineup to the Sevierville constructs and how quiet their receivers appear to be. Not deaf by any means...quiet.

Next into the shack was an FT-980. It has no discernible audio output when an antenna isn't connected.

Following was an FT-301...pure analog. Its receiver is so quiet that with the RF Gain control set to 3 o'clock and an antenna attached, one simply doesn't need a squelch.

The Icoms, on the other hand, are downright hissy. Synthesizer noise...while it could be dealt with by a redesign of the IF strip to incorporate a DSP module similar to those used in present day sets, an audio NR module like the BHI ought to knock the most aggravating components down to a tolerable level.

And that's my only fault with the Inoue gear. Irksome on AM, a little less so on SSB but when running CW or digital modes (especially with filtering engaged) you'll never notice the noise.

KK4AMI
11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Both of mine - along with several of the R71As in the shack - are going to be fitted with a BHI DSP NR module before all is said and done.

I am a huge fan of that genre of Icoms - when a '751A/R71A/PS-35/IC-2KL/AT-500 line is assembled, accessorized/filtered up then placed on the air there's very little that the operator cannot do with it.

Or so I thought.

When the Paragon IIs and Omni VI/V made their way into the shack earlier this year I took a critical look at everything else in use, comparing the existing lineup to the Sevierville constructs and how quiet their receivers appear to be. Not deaf by any means...quiet.

Next into the shack was an FT-980. It has no discernible audio output when an antenna isn't connected.

Following was an FT-301...pure analog. Its receiver is so quiet that with the RF Gain control set to 3 o'clock and an antenna attached, one simply doesn't need a squelch.

The Icoms, on the other hand, are downright hissy. Synthesizer noise...while it could be dealt with by a redesign of the IF strip to incorporate a DSP module similar to those used in present day sets, an audio NR module like the BHI ought to knock the most aggravating components down to a tolerable level.

And that's my only fault with the Inoue gear. Irksome on AM, a little less so on SSB but when running CW or digital modes (especially with filtering engaged) you'll never notice the noise.

Got to agree with you. I always loved my R-71A since I bought it in 1980 something. My TenTec Argonaut V is much quieter and seems to be just as sensitive. Hissy is a good term to use.

W5GA
11-01-2012, 06:10 PM
The hissy Icom is why one no longer graces my shack. Tried both a 761 and a 765. Neither hold a candle to the Omni-6.