PDA

View Full Version : Google's New $250 Laptop.

N2NH
10-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Something new, a small, light laptop from Google for $250. Reminds me of a Netbook for some reason.

Google laid out the next step of its Chromebook effort on Thursday by introducing a thin, light, Samsung-built laptop attached to a killer number — $250. "It's the best laptop that's ever been designed at this price," said Sundar Pichai, who oversees Google's Chrome browser, OS and product teams. "We assume that you have a Windows machine in your home, or maybe a Mac. This isn't built to replace those machines but instead be an additional computer." The same way a tablet or smartphone are for many today.

With that in mind, the performance and specs of the latest Samsung Chromebook (officially called the New Samsung Chromebook (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/)) fall just a bit below that of the mid-range $450 Samsung Series 5 Chromebook (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/google-debuts-a-new-250-chromebook/%E2%80%9Dhttp://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/05/samsung-chromebook-2/%E2%80%9D) launched in May (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/first-look-googles-new-chromebook-and-chromebox/). For example, the new Chromebook uses a Samsung Exynos dual-core ARM processor — essentially a chip designed for use in smartphones and tablets rather than traditional laptops — along with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of built-in storage. The Series 5 Chromebook had 4GB of RAM.
Google is also giving Chromebook buyers 100GB of free Google Drive storage for two years, so they can store files in the cloud, rather than locally on the device. The New Samsung Chromebook is available for pre-order on Amazon starting Thursday and officially goes on sale Monday. Google is setting up 500 "Chromezone" kiosks in Best Buy stores, staffed by Google employees, to give consumers a chance to use Chromebooks, ask questions, and see what the low-priced computer line is all about. The new Chromebook will also be sold in Google Play, alongside Nexus phones and tablets.

Is it worth it? Dunno, but the price looks good.

Google debuts $250 laptop -- the Chromebook (http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/tech/mobile/new-google-chromebook/index.html)

NQ6U
10-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Apple has a new 7.5" iPad mini that might be selling for about that price. I think I'd wait and see; while I'm sure the Chromebook is fine for it's intended use, the iPad has a lot more available in the way of apps.

KC2UGV
10-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Apple has a new 7.5" iPad mini that might be selling for about that price. I think I'd wait and see; while I'm sure the Chromebook is fine for it's intended use, the iPad has a lot more available in the way of apps.

Something tells me you missed the concept of what a ChromeBook is.

If it has a URL, then it's an app for ChromeBook.

NQ6U
10-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Something tells me you missed the concept of what a ChromeBook is.

If it has a URL, then it's an app for ChromeBook.

Even still, the iOS ecosystem has more to offer and you don't have to download the app every time you want to use it.

KC2UGV
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Even still, the iOS ecosystem has more to offer and you don't have to download the app every time you want to use it.

You download Google every time you need to use it? Do you download Facebook every time you need it?

Chromebooks have the entire internet as an ecosystem. Now, here's a list of "apps" developed for Chrome (Which are merely just placing an icon on the browser, and don't include things like ShiftEdit, which is a browser-based IDE): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home?hl=en-US

KB3LAZ
10-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Again, <---Gamer.

Though, I realize that for some people, these things are great. Aside from my laptop and desktop, I do have a netbook for work. My boss lent me a new ipad, telling me that I would love it more for my work, nope. In fact, I would still rather use a 15in+ laptop for work but beings I travel to lecture and such, its a pain in the ass to carry around. Now, something like the chrome book may work for me but I will never know, or at least not recently. I bust bought a new netbook not too long ago for roughly the same price and do not have the desire to buy yet another PC, lol.

On the other hand, my wife liked using the tablet for work so I am buying her one for xmas. Samsung though, not apple.

KB3LAZ
10-22-2012, 05:00 AM
You download Google every time you need to use it? Do you download Facebook every time you need it?

Chromebooks have the entire internet as an ecosystem. Now, here's a list of "apps" developed for Chrome (Which are merely just placing an icon on the browser, and don't include things like ShiftEdit, which is a browser-based IDE): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home?hl=en-US

I really dont know a lot about chrome books but, as for apps, I have only ever had to download them once on my Cell and never bother with it again. Skype, FB, and Whats App are the only apps I use. Whats App is a really attractive APP to me. It allows me to communicate without using my limited texts and it does not eat up my data. I can also use it to chat with my friends and family back in the states.

I really did not want a cellphone and still do not use it often but I am happy with the choice I made. Even if I dont like the GPS on it, lol.

KC2UGV
10-22-2012, 06:18 AM
I really dont know a lot about chrome books but, as for apps, I have only ever had to download them once on my Cell and never bother with it again. Skype, FB, and Whats App are the only apps I use. Whats App is a really attractive APP to me. It allows me to communicate without using my limited texts and it does not eat up my data. I can also use it to chat with my friends and family back in the states.

I really did not want a cellphone and still do not use it often but I am happy with the choice I made. Even if I dont like the GPS on it, lol.

And, you can use both Skype and FB on a Chromebook. Basically, a Chromebook is "Just Enough OS" to instantiate Google Chrome.

KB3LAZ
10-22-2012, 07:55 AM
And, you can use both Skype and FB on a Chromebook. Basically, a Chromebook is "Just Enough OS" to instantiate Google Chrome.

But my cell fits in my pocket. xD

KC2UGV
10-22-2012, 08:05 AM

And that's cool. A chromebook isn't meant to replace your phone :)

N2NH
10-22-2012, 08:34 AM

The problem with a cell is the size of the screen. Ever watch a movie on even a large screen cellphone? A handgun is nearly invisible. I remember when I got my Nook and watched Youtube, all the guys with iPhones and Galaxy's were clustered around watching because it was clearer and bigger. 7" is the smallest screen that is viewable (IMHO) when you want to see a movie.

KB3LAZ
10-22-2012, 11:24 AM
The problem with a cell is the size of the screen. Ever watch a movie on even a large screen cellphone? A handgun is nearly invisible. I remember when I got my Nook and watched Youtube, all the guys with iPhones and Galaxy's were clustered around watching because it was clearer and bigger. 7" is the smallest screen that is viewable (IMHO) when you want to see a movie.

I dont use it for watching movies though, I use it for work. Cellphone and my netbook are for work. For fun I use a laptop. 17.2in, which works well for watching movies. :)

When I really want to watch a movie, 32 inch is the smallest I prefer. Im too drugged out to watch a movie when on a flight, as I do not like them, for it to matter. :D

As I said, many of these devices have varied uses to people but they do not fit my needs.

Netbook/cellphone. That combo fits my needs. :)

KB3LAZ
10-22-2012, 11:24 AM
And that's cool. A chromebook isn't meant to replace your phone :)

I know. For me, it wont replace anything. ^^

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Interesting choice of an example of what you can't see on a small screen. I would have picked a part of the anatomy.

re: Google...

A co-worker once made a comment to me about Google. He said that he couldn't figure out Google's business model, what with all the stuff they give away for free. But since getting my Android and seeing what Chrome thinks it has the right to do with my Windows computers (yes, the stuff I've reported really happened) it seems to be becoming clear. They are collecting lots and lots and lots of information about their users, seemingly a LOT more aggressively than Microsoft ever did. Either that, or they're arrogant enough to put it right in our faces.

I HAD to sign up for a Google account to use my Android for pretty much everything and I still don't know how much of my stuff winds up in their so-called "cloud." It's not obvious to the user what's going up there. Not to mention that in the last few monthes every product I've googled for has wound up in ads cluttering up my screen. So, OK, collecting data to develop business leads is pretty benign -- it's been the "American Way" forever. But now, with personal files winding up in Google's huge RAID farms it's a different "kettle of fish." That's gotta be a very juicy target for hackers, etc. We'll see where that goes...

Since I really love my Transformer tablet -- its performance is pretty mind-boggling (and even does 3D graphics when plugged into a capable monitor) -- I grin and bear it. But all the time I wonder about the HUGE data base that Google is building up. Fact is, no matter how many statements a company (or individual) makes about user privacy, any data base is only as private as they want to make it, regardless of policy statements. And, of course, the administrator of any database has free access to anything stored in their databases.

K7SGJ
10-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Interesting choice of an example of what you can't see on a small screen. I would have picked a part of the anatomy.

re: Google...

A co-worker once made a comment to me about Google. He said that he couldn't figure out Google's business model, what with all the stuff they give away for free. But since getting my Android and seeing what Chrome thinks it has the right to do with my Windows computers (yes, the stuff I've reported really happened) it seems to be becoming clear. They are collecting lots and lots and lots of information about their users, seemingly a LOT more aggressively than Microsoft ever did. Either that, or they're arrogant enough to put it right in our faces.

I HAD to sign up for a Google account to use my Android for pretty much everything and I still don't know how much of my stuff winds up in their so-called "cloud." It's not obvious to the user what's going up there. Not to mention that in the last few monthes every product I've googled for has wound up in ads cluttering up my screen. So, OK, collecting data to develop business leads is pretty benign -- it's been the "American Way" forever. But now, with personal files winding up in Google's huge RAID farms it's a different "kettle of fish." That's gotta be a very juicy target for hackers, etc. We'll see where that goes...

Since I really love my Transformer tablet -- its performance is pretty mind-boggling (and even does 3D graphics when plugged into a capable monitor) -- I grin and bear it. But all the time I wonder about the HUGE data base that Google is building up. Fact is, no matter how many statements a company (or individual) makes about user privacy, any data base is only as private as they want to make it, regardless of policy statements. And, of course, the administrator of any database has free access to anything stored in their databases.

Which model of the Asus did you buy?

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Which model of the Asus did you buy?

Transformer Pad TF300 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403304,00.asp)

So far the only issues are what I outlined here about Google. Well, that and getting used to Android.

K7SGJ
10-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Transformer Pad TF300 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403304,00.asp)

So far the only issues are what I outlined here about Google. Well, that and getting used to Android.

I have one as well and I like it for many things. I also bought the keyboard with the extended battery, which allows a long run time. As much as I like the tablet, I just can't do without the LT.

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Me either if I'm doing serious work on a machine. In know the tablet has the processing oomph to do serious things well and quickly, it's going to take me a while to get used to the Android ui. But it's getting better; I just now updated Google Earth and, Halleluiah! it now comes with a tutorial. There's hope!

But for playing - I find the tablet to be wonderful and it'll do some things I can't do on a laptop, like GTA3 in 3D and the original Max Payne. Both run as good, or better, on the tablet than on a computer of that vintage, and are dirt cheap apps.

N2NH
10-22-2012, 09:41 PM

That's because I like to watch 30s and 40s Whodunnits and Film Noir. I especially like The Thin Man series. But it's not enjoyable when someone pulls out their hand and smoke appears with a gunshot. No gun, just hand and smoke.

I suppose I learned after seeing how my XYLs iTouch had too small a screen. Still, when my computer got hit by a virus (suspiciously I might add), the iTouch got me out of Florida by enabling me to access the net.