PDA

View Full Version : We are watching you. Yeah, you...

AE1PT
10-21-2012, 02:04 PM
I believe that most people understand at some level that the internet is monitored. There are those that are pretty clueless too...

This latest monitoring effort has me a bit concerned--as to who is compiling all of the IP addresses of purported file sharing or media sources--and what sort of media tracking exists to delineate content type.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/tech/web/copyright-alert-system/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

KG4CGC
10-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Charter just sends the Sony and RIAA goons after you, no warning. Great bunch of people.

n2ize
10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
It is all a load of bullshit. Plenty of "illegal" copyrighted content appears on sites like UTube and there is no law against clicking on a link and watching a video which, in effect, downloads the video whether the user realizes it or not. There are also thousands of means by which files can be shared outside of P2P networking.

They will probably catch a number of clueless people downloading copy protected content via P2P networking. Those downloading content on a grand scale or making content available will simply adopt methods making themselves harder to track.

Eventually this too will go the way of RIAA lawsuits and DRM. Over the last decade or so I have read so many of these "crack down" articles.

There is also only so far the ISP's will go. They don't want to drive away business to defend an antiquated distribution system.

N8YX
10-21-2012, 03:17 PM
I simply don't consume anything produced by the major labels. Once upon a time, a large portion of my discretionary income went to the purchase of CDs and (back in the day) vinyl...but nowadays there's nothing out there which compels me to spend upwards of $20 for an album. It's not worth searching for on a torrent, either.

I'll buy used CDs from the local shops or from eBay if I absolutely have to have a certain classic disc - but none of my income is directly going to help prop up an industry whose antiquated business model treats its customers as criminals.

So-called indie artists have begun to garner attention (and cash flow) from both of us.

KJ3N
10-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I wonder if we'll see an uptick in IP anonymizer use.

Would IP anonymizer use thwart this kind of monitoring in the first place?

AE1PT
10-21-2012, 04:58 PM
One of the problems I have seen with 'anonymizers' is that they appreciably slow down the transfer rates of uploads or downloads--simply due to the nature of how they operate. And depending on how badly those monitoring traffic want to trace--lose their effectiveness as more end user clients use them. And after a bit, those using multinodal proxies begin to attract attention to themselves. You can run, but one truly can't hide...

I am not really concerned here about the business model of the recording industry, P2P systems, or who considers what fucking illegal. John is right--we hear dire pronouncements all the time about that--and only a few of most clueless are the ones made high profile examples of. The internet wheel makes a turn and some new system is in place. A techno version of Whack-A-Mole.

What I am questioning here is what appears to be a much more sophisticated system of content identification and flagging. Similar to the face recognition system deployed by Farcebook for tagging purposes--such deployments bother me on two levels. First is the degree of active monitoring (as opposed to passive logging) by private concerns--and the inherent mistakes that such systems will make due to their very nature.

n2ize
10-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I simply don't consume anything produced by the major labels. Once upon a time, a large portion of my discretionary income went to the purchase of CDs and (back in the day) vinyl...but nowadays there's nothing out there which compels me to spend upwards of $20 for an album. It's not worth searching for on a torrent, either.

I'll buy used CDs from the local shops or from eBay if I absolutely have to have a certain classic disc - but none of my income is directly going to help prop up an industry whose antiquated business model treats its customers as criminals.

So-called indie artists have begun to garner attention (and cash flow) from both of us.

I feel the same way about it. It's not the idea of copyrights that I have a problem with. It costs a lot of money and time and effort to produce many copyrighted works and I have no problem with buying the material. But what I object to is this whole "criminalization" approach that the RIAA/ MPAA, etc have adopted. The idea that I must be treated as a criminal, that it is assumed I am stealing their precious content and that unless my internet connection is continually tracked, monitored, probed, a profiled, I will try and get away with something. If they are that worried about their precious content then by all means they should lock the content up in a vault somewhere such that nobody has any access to it.

N2NH
10-21-2012, 05:51 PM
We are watching you. Yeah, you...

Really? Must be a slow day. I live in terminal boredom.

K7SGJ
10-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Really? Must be a slow day. I live in terminal boredom.

That's right outside of Akron, right?

W2NAP
10-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Similar to the face recognition system deployed by Farcebook for tagging purposes--such deployments bother me on two levels. First is the degree of active monitoring (as opposed to passive logging) by private concerns--and the inherent mistakes that such systems will make due to their very nature.

I dont post pictures of myself online. period.

K7SGJ
10-21-2012, 08:52 PM
I dont post pictures of myself online. period.

And all this time I thought your avatar WAS your picture.

W3WN
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
And all this time I thought your avatar WAS your picture.It is. He's just trying to misdirect Big Brother.

Big Brother is everywhere.

And remember: Big Brother loves you...

N2NH
10-21-2012, 09:10 PM
That's right outside of Akron, right?

:lol:

n2ize
10-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Tinkerbell ??

N2NH
10-22-2012, 03:37 AM
Honestly? I think that this has been going on since 1990 or so. The Internet gives a false sense of privacy, but what with IP addresses, MAC IDs and backdoors in all the OS, that's a fools belief. Time magazine did an article in 1975 where they said 95% of all phones (all were hardwired back then) were tapped by 1972 and it was more than likely that number was already at 100% then. We all know of the eavesdropping on terrorists program that was instituted under Bush and how that ended up as the eavesdropping program on all. Albi and I used to talk about that a bit. Interesting conversations. :yes:

n2ize
10-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Honestly? I think that this has been going on since 1990 or so. The Internet gives a false sense of privacy, but what with IP addresses, MAC IDs and backdoors in all the OS, that's a fools belief. Time magazine did an article in 1975 where they said 95% of all phones (all were hardwired back then) were tapped by 1972 and it was more than likely that number was already at 100% then. We all know of the eavesdropping on terrorists program that was instituted under Bush and how that ended up as the eavesdropping program on all. Albi and I used to talk about that a bit. Interesting conversations. :yes:

They are watching and recording every move we make on the Internet. And it's not just the FBI/CIA/NSA. It is local police as well. That is one way our "friends" down south know so much about us and everyone else who heads down there. There is no operating systems you can use that are safe. Even Mac and free operating system like Linux are loaded with spy trojans and backdoors. They wouldn't allow them to be distributed if they weren't. Every keystroke you enter is recorded. Everything you send or receive over the Internet is recorded and analyzed. Every word you speak into a hard wired or cell phone is monitored, recorded and analyzed. There is no escape from these tracking systems either. Even if you think you have figured out a "secure" way to traverse the net believe me, they are recording every move you make.

K7SGJ
10-22-2012, 06:21 AM
I would think if part of their job was monitoring sites like the Island, they would be running around in circles setting their hair on fire. Might explain all the black suits working as carryout boys at the grocery.

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Can't help notice the resemblance of the pic in the link to the YouTube interface on my Transformer tablet.

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 02:07 PM

You said a mouthful.

BTW...collecting vinyl can be a very rewarding thing to do. Most disks at flea markets, antique (junk) shops, on the street, hamfests and even in shops are still very, very reasonably priced. The usual private party price is a buck or two per disk, and the condition is usually just fine. The rarer pieces in very good condition go up from there, but usually remains reasonable for what you're getting. AND, you get the great, full-size graphics that a 12" disk makes possible.

And some is there for the taking!

n2ize
10-22-2012, 02:34 PM
A cool thing to do is to get together with a few musicians and make your own music. It doesn't matter what instrument you might play. Just a bunch of cool people hanging out jamming together can be far more rewarding than commercial music.

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I know a local ham that records all kinds of rare vinyl and glass disks to lossless digital formats.
Remixes and removes noise when needed. Does a good job, even with Edison cylinders. :yes:

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Pretty much the same's I do when I get new, cherished vinyl.