PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.10 released!

KA9MOT
10-19-2012, 01:36 PM
It's available for download and I'm checking out the 32 Bit version now....

So, is there any benefit to installing the 64 Bit version over the 32 bit on my Intel core 2?

KC2UGV
10-19-2012, 01:43 PM

So, is there any benefit to installing the 64 Bit version over the 32 bit on my Intel core 2?

If you do things that are math intensive (Graphics/Audio editing), and you can use a 64-bit version (With the 64 bit OS), then yes.

KA9MOT
10-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Cool! Thank you!

NM5TF
10-22-2012, 10:14 AM

have been looking at the Ubuntu forums....it seems that 12.10 has quite a few bugs ( just like you'd
expect from a new distro ).....think I'll just stick with 12.04 LTS...no need to have the "latest & greatest"
just because it's new....

and yeah, I did notice a difference when switching from 32 bit to 64 bit...try it to see if it works for you

KB3LAZ
10-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Not as much of a worry as on Win. I believe that 32bit distros of linux can read over 4g now. Though there are a few applications that either wont run on 32bit or will run better on 64bit. Personally, if it were me, and my processor had 64bit architecture, I would install x64.

I have been having good luck with my distro of Fedora so I will just stick with that. Which, btw, I finally got on my netbook too. I had to still a nerd to do it but its done. xD One day I will figure out how to install linux without error all by myself. :P My most common problem is always internet connectivity, wireless. Speaking of linux, I am happy I switched over my netbook. In the past I had just beefed up my win system to run better. Much cheaper to just use linux, lol. Though, my boss keeps hounding me to be compliant and get a macbook. I will do so when he buys it!

n2ize
10-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Not as much of a worry as on Win. I believe that 32bit distros of linux can read over 4g now. Though there are a few applications that either wont run on 32bit or will run better on 64bit. Personally, if it were me, and my processor had 64bit architecture, I would install x64.

I have been having good luck with my distro of Fedora so I will just stick with that. Which, btw, I finally got on my netbook too. I had to still a nerd to do it but its done. xD One day I will figure out how to install linux without error all by myself. :P My most common problem is always internet connectivity, wireless. Speaking of linux, I am happy I switched over my netbook. In the past I had just beefed up my win system to run better. Much cheaper to just use linux, lol. Though, my boss keeps hounding me to be compliant and get a macbook. I will do so when he buys it!

Fedora Rocks.

W2NAP
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Fedora Rocks.

i must agree with this.

W4GPL
10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Regarding the 4GB limit in 32 bit systems... there are scenarios where you can a build a kernel with PAE (just use kernel-PAE).. and even then it isn't fully addressable. The MySQL developers flat tell people to go piss up a road with modern distro.. they build it it sucks monkey butt.

n2ize
10-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Regarding the 4GB limit in 32 bit systems... there are scenarios where you can a build a kernel with PAE (just use kernel-PAE).. and even then it isn't fully addressable.
The MySQL developers flat tell people to go piss up a road with modern distro.. they build it it sucks monkey butt.

??? Huh ???

NQ6U
10-23-2012, 08:01 PM
??? Huh ???

I believe the post in question was written in Sanskrit, John. I didn't understand it either.

W4GPL
10-23-2012, 10:13 PM
No, I just fouled up that post pretty good. What I intended to say that the MySQL developers prefer it that you're running a modern 64bit OS then they tell you to piss off when your 32bit is too slow.

KB3LAZ
10-24-2012, 06:06 AM
No, I just fouled up that post pretty good. What I intended to say that the MySQL developers prefer it that you're running a modern 64bit OS then they tell you to piss off when your 32bit is too slow.

Yep. Though, I still wish I could use MySQL for my databases but I am stuck with MSSQL. Well, not that I really have to worry about it anymore as I stopped game hosting a few months back.