PDA

View Full Version : Hum...GPS

KB3LAZ
10-18-2012, 04:37 PM
So, while on my honeymoon I had a pretty dreadful time using the GPS. Now, I was using the GPS on my phone. A samsung galaxy. I must say that it was just awful. Maybe this is due to my being in Spain or just the maps setup that samsung uses? What seemed to confuse the GPS most was that here in Spain they have roundabouts rather than intersections. Always wanting you to turn left or right when obviously, you can not. No big deal, I can adjust for this and let it redirect once we do so. Another more painful annoyance was that the GPS did not seem to ever take into account the one way streets.

All of that aside, my wife wants to get a GPS unit for her car as we have a few more upcoming trips. Anyone have a brand suggestion that does not get so easily confused?

W4RLR
10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
It just strikes me funny that you would find need of a GPS on your honeymoon. Some people might say if a GPS was required equipment during your honeymoon activities, you weren't doing it right.

I feel your pain, having lived in Spain for two years. All the best to you and Pilar.

KB3LAZ
10-18-2012, 05:59 PM
It just strikes me funny that you would find need of a GPS on your honeymoon. Some people might say if a GPS was required equipment during your honeymoon activities, you weren't doing it right.

I feel your pain, having lived in Spain for two years. All the best to you and Pilar.

Lol, Pilar decided that we needed to do some sight seeing and outside of a tour.

I tried to convince her that there was no need to leave the bedroom but I lost that discussion. Though, a majority of time was spent there as well as the spa we did go to a few small cities around. No matter how small a city here there is always one thing that is sure, it is designed silly for driving!

kf0rt
10-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Dunno 'bout the Euro maps, but I've got a $200 Garmin dedicated unit that works right nice in the US. Their map updates lag a bit in "new construction" areas, but other than that, a solid unit.

K7SGJ
10-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I have to agree with Garmin. I've had an 880 for a lot of years, and have never been lost. I may not have been where I wanred to be, but I wasn't lost. Some of the newer units have got some nice improvements. I don't know how well they work in Europe, but in the US, no problem.

XE1/N5AL
10-18-2012, 11:35 PM
I've never used a GPS here in Guadalajara, but I'll bet I'd have some of the same issues faced by Travis. The city is known for its many roundabouts, called glorietas, and they are everywhere! I can imagine the silly GPS box verbally ordering: "a diez metros, gire a la izquierda, y gire a la izquierda, y gire a la izquierda...." (in ten meters, turn to the left, and turn to the left, and turn to the left...)

PA5COR
10-19-2012, 02:55 AM
I'm using TomTom on the phone western and central europe and it never failed me in France or ther rest of europe, just the odd new intersection but keep it updated and you are done.

kb2vxa
10-19-2012, 08:59 AM
"I tried to convince her that there was no need to leave the bedroom but I lost that discussion."

John and Yoko?

K7SGJ
10-19-2012, 09:09 AM
My Garmin has no problem with roundabouts and other whoop-te-dos in this country. If there are issues elsewhere, I suspect it would be a map issue. I've found the secret to success is going to the Garmin site to do periodic updates for the system, maps, and other features. Sometimes it takes over an hour to get it done. I always make it a point to do it prior to a long road trip. Although I had to pay a price for lifetime updates, I think that is included with all the new models. My only gripe was when I bought mine, it had MS Live and I could get current weather, gas prices, and other useful information. They dropped that feature awhile back citing that most people now used smart phones and 4G enabled computers to get this information. I liked having it all available in one unit.

NQ6U
10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I've heard a lot about problems obtaining out-of-warranty service for older Tom Tom gear in the US.

KB3LAZ
10-21-2012, 09:06 AM
So, it seems that Garmin is often suggested. Both on here and from some of Pili's friends. I may get her one and see how she likes it. If her car was one year newer I could just pay for GPS that is built in. :P Meh, one step at a time. Will update the cars when we get back to the states.