PDA

View Full Version : Some boring OF medical net stuff...

W1GUH
10-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Boring because there's no change. Another scan shows the tumors staying shrunk, and this is after a few months of reduced chemo. Guess I'm in great shape!

BTW...as you approach 65 here's a heads-up re: Medicare supplement plans. The process couldn't be more confusing and frustrating. Having a plan at work makes it a little bit easier, but it still can be daunting. I believe I'm almost done with the process, and I sure hope so. But finding out the specifics of coverages was very time consuming. Of course, ALL providers I called forced me through that ridiculous menu system (great time-waster!) I only got real help on about 60% of the calls. Holy shit! Medicare supplements must be very profitable considering how aggressively all the plans hype their wares.

But now I'm pretty much through that and treatment remains better than perfect (and, really, that's the important thing), so....

XE1/N5AL
10-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Far from boring, that's exciting news! Glad you're in great shape!

I'm not quite old enough yet for the Medicare confusion, but I have experience with confusing, incomplete and misleading information from telephone calls to other government organizations. Funny thing, back when I was pursuing some processes in the U.S. Immigration Dept., I could never get solid information from any of their telephone assistants. Then, one day I called and I must have gotten the rudest son-of-a-bitch in Immigration. This guy was aggressive. He criticized my lack of knowledge and made me feel foolish with every question that I asked. But, damned if that guy didn't know his stuff. When the call was finally over, I knew exactly what forms to file and when to file them. If I were to meet that rude guy on the street, I would shake his hand for being so helpful!

P.S., When I get one of those useless menu systems on the telephone, I try pushing any digit that's going to get me the quickest to any human. It won't be the right department, but they can always transfer the call. :)

N7YA
10-17-2012, 05:40 PM
If your shrinking tumors are boring to you then i would say you are doing better than expected, Paul! I was wondering about you last night, in fact. So im glad to hear this.

W1GUH
10-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Far from boring, that's exciting news! Glad you're in great shape!

I'm not quite old enough yet for the Medicare confusion, but I have experience with confusing, incomplete and misleading information from telephone calls to other government organizations. Funny thing, back when I was pursuing some processes in the U.S. Immigration Dept., I could never get solid information from any of their telephone assistants. Then, one day I called and I must have gotten the rudest son-of-a-bitch in Immigration. This guy was aggressive. He criticized my lack of knowledge and made me feel foolish with every question that I asked. But, damned if that guy didn't know his stuff. When the call was finally over, I knew exactly what forms to file and when to file them. If I were to meet that rude guy on the street, I would shake his hand for being so helpful!

P.S., When I get one of those useless menu systems on the telephone, I try pushing any digit that's going to get me the quickest to any human. It won't be the right department, but they can always transfer the call. :)

"...I was pursuing some processes in the U.S. Immigration Dept., I could never get solid information from any of their telephone assistants. "

My telephone problems weren't with the government. The government was very efficient and very personable on the phone when I applied for SS. That was all easy and quick. And, in addition, once you've applied for SS, you automatically are enrolled in Medicare when you're 65. Had my Medicare card in March, by birthday's in July.

ALL of the phone problems have been with private providers.

And thanks for the nice words. Yea, of course I'm happy and relieved with how well the chemo is going.....

W1GUH
10-17-2012, 05:43 PM
If your shrinking tumors are boring to you then i would say you are doing better than expected, Paul! I was wondering about you last night, in fact. So im glad to hear this.

Thanks! Yep, so far I'm very lucky to be responding to the chemo so perfectly. Now...if I could only conjure up the miracle I need...

Well...see my post about Kutcher's!

And, of course, Ganesha is doing a great job keeping the obstacle removed.

N7YA
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Eat seaweed! Its one of the few natural, widely available foods that not only blocks cancer cells from working their dark magic, but kills them too...but not good for the pharmie companies, as no competition is. Seaweed has been shown to target toxins and harmful metals in our blood and organs, prevent them from absorbing, breaks them down and passes them as simple salts out the body. Its a regular addition to our diet now. Full of all sorts of good stuff, very affordable and gets to work right away.

W1GUH
10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Didn't work for me. Been eating seaweed salads for going on 20 years.

N7YA
10-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Oh....well, shit!

KC2UGV
10-17-2012, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't say news of your tumors still shrinking is "boring". This is great news! Hopefully, chemo isn't kicking your ass too much, and if it is, hopefully, you got your hands on the herb that takes care of most of the side effects.

W3WN
10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Better that you be bored than to be in a situation where you're not bored... or feeling anything else.

Hang in there. And let's hope the Tigers make it to the Series!

W1GUH
10-18-2012, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't say news of your tumors still shrinking is "boring". This is great news! Hopefully, chemo isn't kicking your ass too much, and if it is, hopefully, you got your hands on the herb that takes care of most of the side effects.

Thanks for the supportive words, Corey. Guess the only one who considers it boring is myself. Maybe not boring...more like routine,then?

No, chemo is only barely kicking my ass. What I'm getting only has mild effects and they hardly affect what I do. The hardest part now isn't physical; it's coming to grips with the fact that I've been married to Memorial Sloane Kettering in a shotgun wedding & there's a severe penalty for divorce.

The only thing I can't do is go on the road for an extended period to travel from festival to festival for 2-3 months at a time. Sigh. One of the things I had planned for retirement. But there are enough in the region to tap into the great karma.

Thanks again!

W1GUH
10-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Better that you be bored than to be in a situation where you're not bored... or feeling anything else.

Hang in there. And let's hope the Tigers make it to the Series!

Thanks, Ron.

Of course I'm happy with how the Tigers are doing; I just wish it wasn't against the Yankees, I hate seeing them performing so poorly. Guess the good news is that the NY press is finally really getting on their case about how they don't seem to take any bats into the post-season and maybe they'll make the changes necessary to once again rule the league.

PA5COR
10-18-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm a sucker for good news, and yoú have good news, so it made my day ;)
Keep doing what you do, it seems to work .

N2NH
10-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Didn't work for me. Been eating seaweed salads for going on 20 years.

Try Aloe Vera drinks. In moderation they work very well. Overuse will cause the Gastro-Intestinal tract to go into overdrive, so moderation is good. I used to mix mine in Orange Juice.

Good to see you're on the track to recovery. That kind of news is never boring.

W1GUH
10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks, John.

Wish it were the "track to recovery", but, sadly it's not. In the current state of cancer treatment, my condition is incurable. They can easily and comfortably shrink the tumors and keep then shrunk, but they can't kill it entirely. So...AFAIK now, like I said, I'm married to Memorial Sloane Kettering for life and will be visiting every fortnight.

OTOH, there are always breakthroughs and miracles!

W1GUH
10-18-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm a sucker for good news, and yoú have good news, so it made my day ;)
Keep doing what you do, it seems to work .

Thanks, Cor.

Hope you're navigating your way through your current changes without too much discomfort.

PA5COR
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks, nothing compared to what some here had to endure, it'll pass and your health is much more important as is the health of all members here.
Get well, live long and prosper ;)

N2NH
10-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks, John.

Wish it were the "track to recovery", but, sadly it's not. In the current state of cancer treatment, my condition is incurable. They can easily and comfortably shrink the tumors and keep then shrunk, but they can't kill it entirely. So...AFAIK now, like I said, I'm married to Memorial Sloane Kettering for life and will be visiting every fortnight.

OTOH, there are always breakthroughs and miracles!

Then I will pray for you. It can help but it won't hurt.

suddenseer
10-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks, John.

OTOH, there are always breakthroughs and miracles!I was told almost the same thing Paul. The cancer came back, and had spread. It was caught by my 6 month check up. I was offered 2 options: Treat it like a chronic condition much like diabetes, and keep taking radiation doses. Experimental chemo, and modified gamma knife radiation. So far, the experimental chemo has damn near killed me. I was in ICU several days in August with renal failure, and congestive heart failure from the renal failure. It came on so swiftly that I did not know what hit me. I have had a toe amputated, and have 3 blood clots both from the renal failure. I am still on coumadin to dissolve the blood clots. I had to quit drinking, dammit. The good news is that apparently it has worked. I have already decided, and instructed my family if it comes back again, I am going to let nature take it's course.

Keep your eye open for new treatment options. There are new ones almost every month it seems. In my case the cure almost killed me, and I will have unintended health issues the rest of my life as a result of the cure. I know a young man who has been living with cancer as a chronic disease for about 10 years now. he has to live a very structured life with very strict diet requirements.

Since you are otherwise strong, and healthy as I thought I was, you have options. Since i am a guinea pig, it is time for me to run in my wheel.

WØTKX
10-19-2012, 10:22 AM
So far, I am clear of anything, but the cost to get your DNA sequenced is about the same as an MRI now. This helps to pick the correct chemo and/or making a designer chemo. This gives me hope in case I have to fight this again. Considering getting it done, but I want to spend my current $$$ on teeth implants since the radiation has caused a lot of tooth loss.

I also have an advanced directive. It would be a little different if I lived in Oregon. Hang in there Tim and Paul. I'm still scared of it myself.

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I was told almost the same thing Paul. The cancer came back, and had spread. It was caught by my 6 month check up. I was offered 2 options: Treat it like a chronic condition much like diabetes, and keep taking radiation doses. Experimental chemo, and modified gamma knife radiation. So far, the experimental chemo has damn near killed me. I was in ICU several days in August with renal failure, and congestive heart failure from the renal failure. It came on so swiftly that I did not know what hit me. I have had a toe amputated, and have 3 blood clots both from the renal failure. I am still on coumadin to dissolve the blood clots. I had to quit drinking, dammit. The good news is that apparently it has worked. I have already decided, and instructed my family if it comes back again, I am going to let nature take it's course.

Keep your eye open for new treatment options. There are new ones almost every month it seems. In my case the cure almost killed me, and I will have unintended health issues the rest of my life as a result of the cure. I know a young man who has been living with cancer as a chronic disease for about 10 years now. he has to live a very structured life with very strict diet requirements.

Since you are otherwise strong, and healthy as I thought I was, you have options. Since i am a guinea pig, it is time for me to run in my wheel.

Thanks for the information -- my thoughts, prayers and energy are with you. Very sorry to hear about the bad turn in your treatment.

"It came on so swiftly that I did not know what hit me."

That's always in the back of my mind. I'm good now, but what's gonna happen in the future? I've asked my Dr. about the possibility that something can come up without warning and I'm making a trip to urgent care before I know it. He never answers that question because, as far as I can tell from his comments, that's simply an unknown quantity. As he puts it, "We write our own book" -- our response to cancer and its treatment are completely individualistic and it's just not possible to know what the future holds. He has talked about options if the chemo I'm getting (5fu) stops being effective, but it'd be premature to consider them now. In any event, the only inconvenience now is treatment every two weeks, a dr's visit every other treatment, and a scan every two months or so. I AM being closely watched.

He's very conservative in his approach. Try the minimally obtrusive treatment and only go to the more intensive ones if necessary. So far, that's working just fine for me. But....

Thanks again for the info, and here's hoping that you can get to some sort of "normal" soon.

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 02:47 PM
I have scanned clean often enough now that I'm all but considered "cured" but it concerns me too. Seriously considering getting my DNA sequenced for the not too distant future, as this seems to be the way treatment is going. I'm not going in very often anymore, and I'm concerned that something might sneak up on me. Certainly keeping my skin checked and such, as my "profile" says I may get skin cancer... even with heavy sun screen use, I've had too much high altitude sun exposure.

Saw some cool Ganesh elephants at a shop this weekend and thought of you Paul. They even had a "not for sale" ornate harmonium in the window. Great dragons and clothes too.

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I LOVE those shops. Usually can't resist any Ganesha I see...got enough now to crate a suitable shrine!

Yea, to me, frequent scans are key. My dr. actually wanted to wait on this one considering my situation, but I asked for it on the schedule just because of what you're talking about. And, I wanted to get more re-assurance that the reduced chemo is still doing its job.

This is the only time, really, that I've gone against his recommendation. Hope that doesn't change my luck. The guy's good, and if he says that I don't need them so often, I should really take his advice on that.

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Well, they do increase your exposure to radiation. But, my scans showed no sign of cancer before I finished the radiation treatments, and I was still on maintenance chemo. I did take the most radical of all the treatment plans offered because it had the greatest chance of getting all the cancer out... even with minor side effects. Of which, only a mild tinnitus remains, and it's not there most of the time.

The best elephant I saw was a very amusing combination of a Ganesha style elephant as the happy fat Buddha. We have one Buddha in the house, it's a silver incense burner. He's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind a Jain carving of the hand.

Betts has dream circles all over the place, and makes them. She has some distant Northern Pauite family connections. Even messes around with a drum circle group.

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
My friend Ernie has a mini-bong in the shape of Ganehsa!

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
I used to have one of a well endowed gargoyle abusing himself. :lol:

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm using my imagination to visualize where you sucked on it!

Reminds me of what happened to Ernie once. He walked into a head shop for a glass pipe and did his usual thing. Found what he was looking for, bought it, and left without spending anymore time in there than he had to. He picked the pipe he got because of it's stability when set down.

It wasn't until AFTER he'd taken a few hits on it that he realized it was in the shape of a dick and balls -- that's why it was so stable on the table! Didn't bother him a lot. What the hell, got him high just as good as anything else.

WØTKX
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
In this case, the bowl was "mounted" on the end of the single "horn". :neener:

W1GUH
10-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Aw....