PDA

View Full Version : Property Owner Beats HOA in Lawn War

W3WN
10-17-2012, 01:46 PM
"HOA was wrong to make home owner pay for a new lawn during a drought"

Worth reading, for those concerned about HOA restrictions, rules & regulations run amuck.

http://www.houselogic.com/news/lawns/property-owner-wins-lengthy-turf-war/?nicmp=outbrain&nichn=cpc&niseg=hlnews

Synopsis: HOA cited a home owner for a brown lawn. During a drought -- "the drought of the century". During "murderous emergency water use restrictions". So they resodded the lawn & billed him. When he refused to pay, they put a lien on his property. But that's not the whole story...

KC2UGV
10-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Quick fix for this kind of situation? Don't buy a property under an HOA.

AE1PT
10-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Smart move #1...

The truly ludicrous thing about this illustrates just how broken the civil and tort system is. Over a decade to resolve this issue? And who is to say that the financial judgement will not be appealed--thus dragging the mess even further along?

N8YX
10-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Inside every HOA president is a frustrated, wannabe mall cop...desperately seeking relevance.

N2CHX
10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Inside every HOA president is a frustrated, wannabe mall cop...desperately seeking relevance.

Yup.

suddenseer
10-17-2012, 03:11 PM
You should feel better about your home knowing the HOA president is on patrol looking for violations.

http://www.redundancycom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fat-guy-on-scooter.jpg

N8YX
10-17-2012, 03:46 PM
^^ Needs moar HT and reflector vest ^^

kb2vxa
10-18-2012, 02:16 PM
So where was the antenna in all of this? Maybe aluminium seeds need watering.

"Over a decade to resolve this issue? And who is to say that the financial judgement will not be appealed--thus dragging the mess even further along?"

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends... the World Wide Short Wave Talk Show, 16 October 2012, and being aired 24/7 for the entire week on 14.275 MHz. USB, 7.2425 MHz., LSB, and 3.890 MHz. LSB brought to you on the AARA Radio Network flagship station K1MAN.

n2ize
10-18-2012, 02:33 PM

The problem is that a lot of people just see the house, fall in love with the house and the price, and don;'t consider the implications of the HOA. Heard of one case where the parents bought a house under an HOA and junior was a ham radio operator. when they moved in junior put up the same antenna he used at the old house and a few days later the HOA demanded that the "ugly monstrocity' be removed at once. That ended junior radio career. Parents never considered such implications when they bought.

replace "ham radio" with lots of other terms such as "brown lawn during a drought".

W3WN
10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend! Come inside, come inside...Emerson Lake & Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery, Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2.

Please.

... no, there was no antenna in it. It was just the aburdity of it... some maroon on the HOA board got a bug up his... nose about a brown lawn. Never mind that there was a drought on, the worst in decades; never mind that there were severe water restrictions, with severe penalties for unneccesary use. HOA says you have to have a green lawn, so you will have a green lawn!

And even though the HOA's lawyers told them they were wrong, they wouldn't give in. Now it's going to cost them big bucks; expenses, damages, the loss of value on the house (since they effectively blocked it's sale due to the [now known to be improper or illegal] lien imposed on it)... and all because a couple of people let their egos run the show, they had to make sure everyone else knew Who Was In Charge.

n2ize
10-18-2012, 02:35 PM
"HOA was wrong to make home owner pay for a new lawn during a drought"

Worth reading, for those concerned about HOA restrictions, rules & regulations run amuck.

http://www.houselogic.com/news/lawns/property-owner-wins-lengthy-turf-war/?nicmp=outbrain&nichn=cpc&niseg=hlnews

Synopsis: HOA cited a home owner for a brown lawn. During a drought -- "the drought of the century". During "murderous emergency water use restrictions". So they resodded the lawn & billed him. When he refused to pay, they put a lien on his property. But that's not the whole story...

Here is what I don;t understand. There was a drought yet he was the only person with a brown lawn ? Something is rotten in Tampa.

KC2UGV
10-18-2012, 05:31 PM
The problem is that a lot of people just see the house, fall in love with the house and the price, and don;'t consider the implications of the HOA. Heard of one case where the parents bought a house under an HOA and junior was a ham radio operator. when they moved in junior put up the same antenna he used at the old house and a few days later the HOA demanded that the "ugly monstrocity' be removed at once. That ended junior radio career. Parents never considered such implications when they bought.

replace "ham radio" with lots of other terms such as "brown lawn during a drought".

So? Basically, you can't fix stupid, and stupid entails not reading what you are signing.

n2ize
10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
So? Basically, you can't fix stupid, and stupid entails not reading what you are signing.
yes. if you think about it there were 2 kinds of stupid involved.

1) The failure of the parents to consider the terms of the HOA.

2) The failure to think of their child's interests and consider how the terms of the HOA would prevent their child from enjoying his/her interests.

So instead they chose to look the other way with regards to the HOA and their own child and proceed in their own immediate interests.

W2NAP
10-18-2012, 05:58 PM
solution. ban HOA's and CC&R's outright.

KC2UGV
10-18-2012, 06:01 PM
solution. ban HOA's and CC&R's outright.

Why? I don't believe in a government intervening in a private contractual sale, as long as no rights are being violated (ie slavery). Just don't buy a home with an HOA, or CC&R's.

W2NAP
10-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Why? I don't believe in a government intervening in a private contractual sale, as long as no rights are being violated (ie slavery). Just don't buy a home with an HOA, or CC&R's.

sadly in alot of places anymore. its damn near impossible. Here you can ether have no HOA/CCR but live in shithole crime filled city. or have realitivly safe area but stuck with HOA shit.

I say ban the damn things outright. lets have real FREEDOM and let people do what they wish with the place they paid for.

KC2UGV
10-18-2012, 06:15 PM
sadly in alot of places anymore. its damn near impossible. Here you can ether have no HOA/CCR but live in shithole crime filled city. or have realitivly safe area but stuck with HOA shit.

And, I say bullshit. It might be in your region, but you are free to move. In fact, if HOA's are that common, it would most likely be wise, as it's indicative of the region's attitude. And, I have yet to see a rural area that has HOA's.

I say ban the damn things outright. lets have real FREEDOM and let people do what they wish with the place they paid for.

And, some people PAY FOR those HOA's. A good example of the positive usage of HOA's would be to build a model city, such as this one: http://www.dancingrabbit.org/

Dancing Rabbit's uses HOA's and CC&R's to enforce sustainable living. But, not everyone is suited to living there, but there is no reason to prohibit such social experiments.

W5GA
10-18-2012, 06:42 PM
And, I have yet to see a rural area that has HOA's.
There's a few. When I lived in the foothills outside of Fresno, CA., there was a defunct HOA, along with defunct CC&R's. This was 45 miles outside of town. The closest grocery store was 35 miles.

Here in the Oklahoma sticks, they don't even have building codes except on septic systems.

W3WN
10-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Here is what I don;t understand. There was a drought yet he was the only person with a brown lawn ? Something is rotten in Tampa.Yes, I noticed that. Which tells me 1 of 2 things most likely was going on (within the confines of that HOA at the time, at least):

(1) Others had brown or semi-brown lawns but weren't cited, for other reasons not presently in evidence
(2) Others broke the water restrictions to water their lawn & were willing to pay the fines or go to jail if caught... out of fear of reprisal from the HOA board, possibly?

W3WN
10-18-2012, 06:52 PM
A lot of new construction has HOA's. And in the most surprising areas...

When I was over at W3WH's house a couple of weekends ago, I was surprised to learn that he lives in an HOA mini-community. But don't worry, his HOA has no antenna restrictions and won't in the future... he's sure of that, as Bill is the President of the HOA and has been for years!

KC2UGV
10-18-2012, 07:07 PM
There's a few. When I lived in the foothills outside of Fresno, CA., there was a defunct HOA, along with defunct CC&R's. This was 45 miles outside of town. The closest grocery store was 35 miles.

Here in the Oklahoma sticks, they don't even have building codes except on septic systems.

Yeah, I realize I had said I don't know of any, then posted a link to Dancing Rabbits lol

AE1PT
10-18-2012, 10:17 PM
You know, after reading through this thread for the second time I have come to the conclusion that it is not a good idea to beat a ho on your front lawn.