PDA

View Full Version : On the eve of second debate, the earth moved...

ab1ga
10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
This is NOT intended to be a political discussion...

At about 1915 local, a 4.0 magnitude quake occured near Waterboro, Maine.
Not much to write home about, but it's the first one I've experienced since moving to MA in 1979.

Adam, you may want to reconsider moving there....

NA4BH
10-16-2012, 08:31 PM
We had a 2.1 magnitude around here the other day. They said you had to be standing at the epicenter to feel it.

KC9ECI
10-16-2012, 08:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Lincolnshire_earthquake

I was about 50 miles from the epicenter. First noticable quake for me. I don't like them.

KG4CGC
10-16-2012, 08:47 PM
This is NOT intended to be a political discussion...

At about 1915 local, a 4.0 magnitude quake occured near Waterboro, Maine.
Not much to write home about, but it's the first one I've experienced since moving to MA in 1979.

Adam, you may want to reconsider moving there....

I was talking to a fellow and I suggested that there could be a follow up quake in a few days further south.

NQ6U
10-16-2012, 10:00 PM
A 4.0 earthquake would make the front page of the local section in these parts—as long as it was a slow news day.

ab1ga
10-17-2012, 07:01 AM
But this happened in MAINE.
There are no tears in baseball, and no earthquakes in Maine.
It's like hearing Lassie bit a little kid or something.
Or that the Pope is really a Protestant.

N2NH
10-17-2012, 07:09 AM
When I lived in NYC, we felt a large quake in Quebec in 1987. Really shook things up a lot even though it was over 400 miles away. Didn't even notice the one that hit Virginia.

I think ME has had a few but not recently.

Supposedly Florida has never had one.

K7SGJ
10-17-2012, 07:27 AM
On the eve of the debate, not only did the earth move, but so did my bowels. Uncanny, huh.

ab1ga
10-17-2012, 07:31 AM
You should probably avoid small marine craft as well.

N8YX
10-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Earthquakes are, to a girl's guitar...they're just another good vibration...

suddenseer
10-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Adam, I'd stay the hell away from this part of the country as well. This fault zone makes the San Andreas fault line look like a little crack (sniff). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

W7XF
10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
On the eve of the debate, not only did the earth move, but so did my bowels. Uncanny, huh.
Oh Shit!

n2ize
10-17-2012, 11:04 AM
I doubt that there is any place where you can move that is safe from earth quakes. I remember back in 1985 we had an earthquake that shook my area and most of New York City. It was a magnitude of 4.0 and it struck in the dead of night while most people were sleeping. It's epicenter was in the town of Ardsley which is very close to my home.

I remember it being a pretty loud earthquake. You not only felt it but you heard it. Being from NYC I am used to the sound of subway trains passing underground... the loud rumble and the shaking of the ground. I was sleeping when the quake began and I remember waking up in that half-sleep/half-wake state and hearing and feeling it and saying to myself... "It's just a subway train passing under the house". Then I got more awake I said to myself, "wait a minute, I am in Westchester, we don;t have subways running here". I immediately woke realizing something was very wrong. When the quake subsided I was thinking, maybe NYC was hit by an atom bomb ?? Maybe a bunch of gas storage or chemical tanks blew up in Jersey again ? I immediately flicked on a scanner and heard the FDNY talking about an earthquake. Then I realized what happened.

More here.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1991JGR....9618183H

kb2vxa
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
"Didn't even notice the one that hit Virginia."

That's because in New York the ground is always shaking. There were two others felt in NJ but I missed them standing on shaky ground both times, one notably on Route 22. I felt that one though, a gentle rocking motion that had me puzzled until I saw it on the news.

"Maybe a bunch of gas storage or chemical tanks blew up in Jersey again?

You're thinking of normal events on the Jersey side of New York Harbor. You should have been in the car with some of my friends when a cracking tower at Exxon blew up right next to them. I saw the mushroom and heard the explosion from a few miles away thinking for a second they've finally nuked New York. Then it dawned on me, if that were the case I'd be blind from the flash and then within minutes it was all over the radio. A short time later I was on a radio adventure of my own, between ARES, CD and REACT I sure had my hands full. Cancel REACT, CBers being what they are I turned the radio off. (;->)

n2ize
10-18-2012, 03:53 PM
"Didn't even notice the one that hit Virginia."

That's because in New York the ground is always shaking. There were two others felt in NJ but I missed them standing on shaky ground both times, one notably on Route 22. I felt that one though, a gentle rocking motion that had me puzzled until I saw it on the news.

"Maybe a bunch of gas storage or chemical tanks blew up in Jersey again?

You're thinking of normal events on the Jersey side of New York Harbor. You should have been in the car with some of my friends when a cracking tower at Exxon blew up right next to them. I saw the mushroom and heard the explosion from a few miles away thinking for a second they've finally nuked New York. Then it dawned on me, if that were the case I'd be blind from the flash and then within minutes it was all over the radio. A short time later I was on a radio adventure of my own, between ARES, CD and REACT I sure had my hands full. Cancel REACT, CBers being what they are I turned the radio off. (;->)

I remember one night in the early 80's when a couple gas storage tanks blew up in jersey. I was downstairs and all of a sudden I hear, "BA BA BOOM !!" over my head. I was in Westchester quite a ways away. it sounded like a heavy guy in heavy boots stomped across the floor above me. I even went up to see who the hell was up there. Then I see a news flash across the tv screen... gas explosion at New jersey storage facility...

.I remember when i was just starting college as a chemical engineering major. It was near the end of summer and I would be starting school in a couple weeks. I was with my folks and my aunt and cousin and we were heading south driving through jersey. we were passing through the area admiring the sight of the flaming towers and all thew tanks and pipes and valves and all the smells from the surrounding refineries and chemical plants. My Dad turned to me at one point and he said, "just think, this place is where your future is going to be". Maybe that is why I switched from a Chem Engineering to a Math major.

W2NAP
10-18-2012, 06:00 PM
dec 2010 we had one NW of here.. 4.8 IIRC

AE1PT
10-18-2012, 09:31 PM
It was THE HAND OF GOD warning those lying bastards of what is coming to them and all other deceivers and minions of THE GREAT SATAN soon here in the END TIMES!

REPENT NOW YOU SINFUL HAMSTERS, OR SUFFER ETERNAL DAMNATION...