PDA

View Full Version : A Hundred New Friends Moved In Overnight...

N2NH
10-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Ladybugs. I hear that they're "good luck". They seem to want to spend the winter here. They're welcome to stay if they don't party too late...

Seems to be a trend lately. I've had ladybugs on my clothes most of the spring and early summer in NYC and a couple of monarch butterflies too. It's not cologne, I haven't worn any lately. Must be my magnetic personality?

yah, right.:wtf:

NA4BH
10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
We hosted the Ladybug convention a few years ago. It's definitely a WTF moment.

ab1ga
10-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Ladybug populations exploded this year, along with the infamous stinkbugs. Be thankful you got the ladybugs.

VE7DCW
10-16-2012, 08:32 PM
We had a massive ladybug swarm hit the house one late september day a few years ago.They got into the house through open windows and crawled into ceiling and wall corners.....it took about a year to finally scoot the last of them outside.......amazing creatures,definately good for the environment! :-D

n2ize
10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Ladybug populations exploded this year, along with the infamous stinkbugs. Be thankful you got the ladybugs.

I was just going to say the same thing. Most people are not as lucky and end up with the stink bugs. This is the time of year they migrate indoors for the winter.

W2NAP
10-17-2012, 04:56 PM
i havent seen a ladybug or stinkbug. but lots and lots of spiders..

oh shit im turning into MHZ with the spiders stuff

W1GUH
10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Existential question....

Which bathroom does a male ladybug use?

In Santo Bugito the one ladybug, Ralph, has his own - spends lots of time in there reading, you know, magazines.

N2NH
10-18-2012, 11:06 AM
When I got here there were a lot of spiders. So far I've killed 6 including two brown recluse and one black widow. Had no choice but to kill a garden spider when he insisted on trying to chase me after he set up a web in the doorway effectively locking me in. Another Garden Spider just moved after setting up a web in the bannister. None in the last couple of weeks. Just a possum and some crazy ladybugs.

Hmmm... Paul...

:idea:
Now, is a male ladybug a cross-dresser?

kb2vxa
10-18-2012, 11:49 AM
That reminds me of living in West Creek, that autumn I noticed a decent sized cluster on the living room ceiling over a lamp and a few smaller ones in the area, no big deal. Come spring it was another story entirely, they came out of their hiding places in droves and were so thick on the windows noon looked like midnight. Every day for a couple of weeks I had them open wide so they could fly away, fly away home, their children were burning. The annoying part was their little bug brains didn't realize the BOTTOM was open, they clustered on the top where I had to scrape them toward the bottom but as soon as they took flight the greater numbers took to the top again. And you think women drivers are bad? Wait until you're confronted with a few thousand woman fliers... stupid bugs!

Can't forget the spiders and stink bugs. They were the only bugs to survive the spiders, they wouldn't eat them just cut them out of the web. Moral of the story? Never underestimate the intelligence of a spider.

"Had no choice but to kill a garden spider when he insisted on trying to chase me after he set up a web in the doorway effectively locking me in."

Sounds like a scene from Arachnophobia... DON'T go down the basement.

N2NH
10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Now this is the weird thing about them. There are dozens of doors here yet hundreds of them were flying from the other side of the building o across the meadows and even not seeing my door, they unerringly flew right for it. Ladybug radar? Or maybe they were operating on 900 MHz?