PDA

View Full Version : NOW HERE'S SOMETHING THAT IS VERY INTERESTING

K7SGJ
10-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Just ran across this. Maybe a new one for WAP.

http://www.boston.com/news/science/2012/10/16/earth-sized-planet-found-just-outside-solar-system/NEacbszJqTsNnRqgOVmFQJ/story.html

N2NH
10-16-2012, 07:58 PM
That is interesting. Too bad it isn't temperate enough for life. Now, does this bolster the argument that there is no other life in the whole universe? Since it's not in The Bible, I imagine graphs for LAFs will say it does.

kb2vxa
10-18-2012, 03:57 PM
What "they" won't tell you is this lava planet has been explored and there is life Jim, but not life as we know it.

W4RLR
10-18-2012, 05:27 PM
What is that thing? It looks like a collection of elephant dung.

n2ize
10-18-2012, 05:35 PM
What is that thing? It looks like a collection of elephant dung.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +10000000000000000000
I was thinking the same thing. :)

N7YA
10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Looks like a big poo taking a big poo.

XE1/N5AL
10-18-2012, 06:44 PM
‘‘If there are any inhabitants there, they’re made of asbestos,’’ joked Shostak.No work for the mesothelioma lawyers living on that planet.

XE1/N5AL
10-18-2012, 06:50 PM
What "they" won't tell you is this lava planet has been explored and there is life Jim, but not life as we know it.Isn't that from the Star Trek episode where Kirk and President Lincoln fought against Ghengis Khan?

W3WN
10-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Isn't that from the Star Trek episode where Kirk and President Lincoln fought against Ghengis Khan?Bingo!

It was supposed to be a "lava" based creature. But considering the limits of TV special effects in the 1960's, especially on a low rated low budget show that was about to be cancelled... well, it looks like a heaping pile of smoldering dung.

N7YA
10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Isn't that from the Star Trek episode where Kirk and President Lincoln fought against Ghengis Khan?

:lol:

Try to pitch that to studios these days!

kb2vxa
10-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Yes, that steaming pile of elephant dung was from The Savage Curtain in which Lincoln had horrible overly tanned makeup and was entirely too short. Then there's Kahless, the founder of the Klingon Empire looking like some sort of puny sawed off Mongolian who reappeared in STTNG as the now classic butt head. There was the hysterical episode where they flash back to The Trouble With Tribbles in which Worf explains it as "a sudden genetic mutation" and turns away with this "oh go away" look on his face. There are all sorts of strange quirks all through Star Trek and its spinoffs like the GNDN conduits in the Jefferies tubes. Set designer John Jefferies explained they go nowhere do nothing. Frankly only one sci-fi TV show has Trek beat for getting all tangled up in itself is Doctor Who but only because it has had more time to do so beginning in 1963.

K7SGJ
10-19-2012, 12:39 PM
:lol:

Try to pitch that to studios these days!

It worked for Lincoln and vampires, sorta, kinda..............well.......not worth a shit, actually. As you were, carry on

N7YA
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes, that steaming pile of elephant dung was from The Savage Curtain in which Lincoln had horrible overly tanned makeup and was entirely too short. Then there's Kahless, the founder of the Klingon Empire looking like some sort of puny sawed off Mongolian who reappeared in STTNG as the now classic butt head. There was the hysterical episode where they flash back to The Trouble With Tribbles in which Worf explains it as "a sudden genetic mutation" and turns away with this "oh go away" look on his face. There are all sorts of strange quirks all through Star Trek and its spinoffs like the GNDN conduits in the Jefferies tubes. Set designer John Jefferies explained they go nowhere do nothing. Frankly only one sci-fi TV show has Trek beat for getting all tangled up in itself is Doctor Who but only because it has had more time to do so beginning in 1963.

You...aaah...wouldnt happen to be a fan of the show, now would you? :lol:

N7YA
10-19-2012, 04:57 PM
It worked for Lincoln and vampires, sorta, kinda..............well.......not worth a shit, actually. As you were, carry on

We saw it...it was....ok, i guess. Lots of dumb and very laughable shit in there. My favorite was when a vampire was attacking a prostitute in an alley, then the hero shows up, slams him against the brick wall, and the wall shook like plywood...because it was....and post-production missed it. :lol:

NA4BH
10-19-2012, 05:40 PM

http://www.therobotspajamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/star-trek-spock-helmet.jpg

W8XLR
10-19-2012, 06:02 PM
That is interesting. Too bad it isn't temperate enough for life. Now, does this bolster the argument that there is no other life in the whole universe? Since it's not in The Bible, I imagine graphs for LAFs will say it does.

Life on that planet might exist underground...

Star Trek, season 1, episode 26; "The Devil in the Dark"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_keWvLweF4&feature=fvwrel

N7YA
10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
http://www.therobotspajamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/star-trek-spock-helmet.jpg

:shock:

Oh....my ...GOD!!!

Must have it!

N7YA
10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Life on that planet might exist underground...

Star Trek, season 1, episode 26; "The Devil in the Dark"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_keWvLweF4&feature=fvwrel

Eat it all in 60 minutes, you get a Tshirt and your name on the wall!

kb2vxa
10-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer! Yup, lots of funny stuff on screen but the real laughs came on the set like those problematic manually operated sliding doors that never worked right. BTW last night it came to me in a dream why that steaming pile of elephant dung is reddish brown in the studio still. Effects were added in post to make it look a grey-black with glowing red-orange patches and rising smoke to make it look like lava in the final print. Funny how Flash Gordon's rock men became a common thread in SO many shows and movies.

I miss those space ships ringed with rocket tubes that did nothing bobbing around on strings while sparks and smoke came out the rear with smoke going up and sparks going down and the sound of the engines was a rotary spark gap. Then there was Flash down in the engine room of Sky City shoveling uranium into the atomic furnace like a stoker on the Titanic. Sky City also appeared in Star Trek and the same premise used with a twist, slaves below mined the atomic fuel and the story centered on them. Take another look, Ming the Merciless was a Klingon and there IS a good reason why the rogue planet was Mongol and the original Klingons were Mongolian, Gene Rottenberries stole from all over.

N2NH
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM

Ya think? :yes::lol:

Heck I got a real hoot reading that. :rock:

Take another look, Ming the Merciless was a Klingon and there IS a good reason why the rogue planet was Mongol and the original Klingons were Mongolian, Gene Rottenberries stole from all over.

You're right Warren. Never thought of that. I do know I saw a Dr. Who show from 1964 where they beamed up from a planet and that was at least 2 years before the first Star Trek pilot. Who knows? Maybe they copied that from somewhere else.

VE7DCW
10-20-2012, 11:45 PM

I think someone has been watching way too much T.V. !!!!

What the hell ......... i'm in the same club :hahano:

XE1/N5AL
10-21-2012, 12:24 AM