PDA

View Full Version : New book from an unlikely place.

N7YA
10-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Went to our local Smiths store and while my wife was grabbing some things, i was digging through the book schlock bin. There was the usual beat up copies of James Patterson novels, books about Jesus or monster trucks, etc. The usual fare for the dumbass, drooling, ghetto/UFC/Jersey Shore/Redneck/Military/gangsta/macho/complete-white-trash/stripper neighborhood i live in.

I went to the bottom, holding up about 25 lbs of shit books with my left hand, i managed to rescue a perfectly good copy of Stephen Hawking's "The Grand Design"...i had to do a double take...$28 book for $7. Dev even found a shrinkwrapped copy of a great road travel/cook book by Jamie Oliver she wanted...normally $37.50...for $8! Score!

Earlier in the day, i bought her a blank journal for road trips, and got myself a huge book. The Field Guide to Wildflowers of North America from the NWF. It even has a "waterproof cover"...which is stupid because the pages arent. And ill be damned if im taking this cinder block out on the trail with me. I bought it because i do macro photography of flowers, trees and plants in the field. But that means i can upload them to my computer and look them up with a really big, clear shot of the plant in question on my screen (its also a kind of collecting my wife approves of :lol:).

Took over 300 shots today, it was a good day. :)

N8YX
10-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Pix of these rumored strippers or GTFO.

N7YA
10-16-2012, 07:27 AM

Just had to ask, dint ya.....

N8YX
10-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Reaches for the bottle of 243... :snicker:

(Good score on the books, by the way!)

Dr. Detroit
10-16-2012, 07:58 AM
How about some of the wildflower pics?

WØTKX
10-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Ya... I like the macro thing too. My smartphone has a macro mode that works OK.

N2NH
10-16-2012, 10:34 AM

That's Madonna isn't it?

K7SGJ
10-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Now aren't you glad you have the super wide angle lens?

I don't see any flowers on THAT bush.

kb2vxa
10-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Ve-gas is a continent away from the Snookie Shore. Go back and try again, you need a book on geography. (;->)

N7YA
10-17-2012, 06:55 AM
You dont know? This place is a melting pot of desperation and humanity. We literally have Pauly D's and Snookies everywhere here....even the REAL ones come here and make 10g's pretending to be a DJ in some high end club from time to time. Just gross.

N7YA
10-17-2012, 07:03 AM
How about some of the wildflower pics?

Im trying to put a couple up for you, but it keeps failing in the upload...i need to resize the files.

I am heading out to Red Rock Canyon tomorrow to get more, hopefully by tomorrow night, i can get some good ones up here for you.

K7SGJ
10-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Im trying to put a couple up for you, but it keeps failing in the upload...i need to resize the files.

I am heading out to Red Rock Canyon tomorrow to get more, hopefully by tomorrow night, i can get some good ones up here for you.

I know you probably posted it somewhere before, but what camera are you using?

N7YA
10-17-2012, 07:38 AM
I have a Canon Rebel EOS. An 18-55 lens is my standard, i also have a larger one, but i get what i need so far. If i can somehow scratch out a small living with this, ill upgrade the gear, but for now, it works just fine when i crawl through underbrush or hike up a mountain...good, solid camera.

W3WN
10-17-2012, 08:02 AM
That's Madonna isn't it?Lady Gaga in about 20 years.

N7YA
10-17-2012, 08:23 AM

n2ize
10-17-2012, 11:16 AM
You dont know? This place is a melting pot of desperation and humanity. We literally have Pauly D's and Snookies everywhere here....even the REAL ones come here and make 10g's pretending to be a DJ in some high end club from time to time. Just gross.

I love your descriptions of that place... It sounds like you really like it there... :) You seem very impressed with the place and its people....

K7SGJ
10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I have a Canon Rebel EOS. An 18-55 lens is my standard, i also have a larger one, but i get what i need so far. If i can somehow scratch out a small living with this, ill upgrade the gear, but for now, it works just fine when i crawl through underbrush or hike up a mountain...good, solid camera.

That's a good box. I still have mine although I just treated myself to an upgrade.

N7YA
10-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I love your descriptions of that place... It sounds like you really like it there... :) You seem very impressed with the place and its people....

Oh yeah, love it! :roll: :lol:

N7YA
10-17-2012, 04:23 PM
That's a good box. I still have mine although I just treated myself to an upgrade.

Ive gotten some great shots with it. Its really only limited by my own skill level...and its indeed limited. :lol: