PDA

View Full Version : Browser BS

AE1PT
10-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Here we are nearly in 2013--and browsers are still by and large crappy and loaded with bugs. Will these things ever get to the point that one does not have to bounce back and forth between two of them to make everything work?

TESLA
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Have you tried the latest version of OPERA? Every site I browse renders quickly and properly, I have yet to find a site (other than banking that specifically require IE) that fails to render. Any site in particular that I should try?

AE1PT
10-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I spend a portion of my day in government sites--where I am logged in and dealing with forms or data reports. Anything but IE fails miserably somewhere down the line--usually after spending an hour or so completing a form and then hitting the submit button... Firefox has serious memory leak, crash and Flash player problems; Opera has regular Flash issues as well as issues with the newest CSS5.5 and some jQuery operations. IE 8&9 loves to freeze or improperly display certain sorts of fields. Chrome I just gave up on because of far too many glitches and sites it would not work correctly on. Sigh...

W4RLR
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Expanding on your complaint, will web site administrators ever admit there is more than one operating system in personal computers and quit restricting their websites to those who use Windows and Internet Explorer only? There is one site I have to pop into Windows to use so I can pay my fuel bill. I find it to be a PITA.

NQ6U
10-15-2012, 05:48 PM
And to expand on Richard's comment, why do so many sites use Flash where regular HTML and CSS would do the job just fine? All it does is consume network resources unnecessarily.

KJ3N
10-15-2012, 06:31 PM
And to expand on Richard's comment, why do so many sites use Flash where regular HTML and CSS would do the job just fine? All it does is consume network resources unnecessarily.

It's for the children! WDYHA? ;)

KG4CGC
10-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Firefox has serious memory leakAnd then they fix it only to have them put it back it 6 months later. Then a year later they might fix it, only to put it back in a couple of months later.
Right now it's very bad.

AE1PT
10-16-2012, 02:48 AM
And then they fix it only to have them put it back it 6 months later. Then a year later they might fix it, only to put it back in a couple of months later.
Right now it's very bad.

Long ago and far away, one could type an edit command into the url bar and edit the hidden configuration options--limiting a lot of the bloat caused by the leaks. After a while, those changes could still be made, but had absolutely no impact on the fleeping thing eating up a gigabyte or more of memory resource in a hurry. That's when i bailed and started using chrome. After about a year though, I noticed more and more sites that forms did not fill in--bad news when one does a lot of commerce on the web...

Flash seems the only way that anyone can figure out how to get .flv rubbish into pages. Given that it will be a long time before it goes anywhere. But i have learned that each 'update' runs the risk of breaking one browser or another.

KG4NEL
10-16-2012, 01:07 PM
I spend a portion of my day in government sites

My condolences.

Other than very specific Java-based weirdness in the EDI system I deal with, Chrome works for everything else I want to use. But I've disabled autofill wherever I can.

AE1PT
10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
My condolences.

Hey, it's all good and I have job security. I serve a growth industry--homelessness and poverty... :cool2:

W4GPL
10-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Anyone remember when the FCC ULS site was Java based and would only work in Internet Explorer and Windows? They picked an OS agnostic framework and then made sure it would only work with one OS and browser. Now that was genius..

KG4NEL
10-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Hey, it's all good and I have job security. I serve a growth industry--homelessness and poverty... :cool2:

I'll likely go back to somewhere in the military industrial complex when I move next year, for the same reason. Missiles have been a hot commodity lately.