PDA

View Full Version : Small Antenna Book

KC2UGV
10-14-2012, 11:20 AM
So, I got my ARRL subscribe offer in the mail on Friday, with the gift being the small antenna book. Is this book worth jumping on, or should I wait for another offer here? Looking to finally get my ARRL membership, but figured I shouldn't squander what they offer for free :)

NQ6U
10-14-2012, 11:23 AM
I dunno—does the book cover fractal antennas?

NY3V
10-14-2012, 12:18 PM
How small is the book? Less than 50 pages? ;)

K7SGJ
10-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Smaller than 2"x3"

ab1ga
10-14-2012, 02:03 PM
If the full title is "Small Antennas for Small Spaces", then I guess I'd hold out for a better deal.

I have been disappointed in the technical content of the newer ARRL titles, at at a member price of about $23 for 128 pages this item seems to fit that mold. For about $10 more, one of the RSGB titles like "Backyard Antennas" delivers a lot more, but the League won't offer that as a membership incentive.

Unfortunately, unless they really break down and offer you the real Antenna Book or ON4UN's Low Band DXing, the pickings are slim, although I did like "Simple and Fun Antennas for the Radio Amateur".

n2ize
10-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I have a book called "The Practical Antenna Handbook" published by McGraw Hill. It is a pretty good book, it delves into a wide range of antenna designs from simple doublets, to limited space antennas, to complex beams and arrays. My addition is a couple decades old but, antenna theory hasn't changed all that much.

ab1ga
10-14-2012, 02:12 PM
The League offers that title for sale as well, but because it's not an ARRL title I doubt it will be part of a membership offer. It's not that the League books are awful, it's just that the price point is terrible for somebody trying to learn something. Basic Electronics, Basic Radio and Basic Antennas would be a great starter set for the new ham, but at $25 a copy, it's just too much to ask.

NQ6U
10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
I have been disappointed in the technical content of the newer ARRL titles, at at a member price of about $23 for 128 pages this item seems to fit that mold.

I agree with this. They've been dumbing down the Handbook as well, eliminating info that used to be included so they can sell it in other (overpriced) books. Then, there are other ARRL books that offer nothing that wasn't already included in the Handbook. I discovered the latter shortly after I got my ticket and ordered a copy of their Operating Manual.

KC2UGV
10-14-2012, 04:52 PM
If the full title is "Small Antennas for Small Spaces", then I guess I'd hold out for a better deal.

I have been disappointed in the technical content of the newer ARRL titles, at at a member price of about $23 for 128 pages this item seems to fit that mold. For about $10 more, one of the RSGB titles like "Backyard Antennas" delivers a lot more, but the League won't offer that as a membership incentive.

Unfortunately, unless they really break down and offer you the real Antenna Book or ON4UN's Low Band DXing, the pickings are slim, although I did like "Simple and Fun Antennas for the Radio Amateur".

Yep, that's the one. I might just go for it anyways, as I think they make more offers each year. I was kind of hoping for the Antenna Book (The real one), but I missed out on that one last time they sent me something.

n2ize
10-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Yep, that's the one. I might just go for it anyways, as I think they make more offers each year. I was kind of hoping for the Antenna Book (The real one), but I missed out on that one last time they sent me something.
Well, for starters, what type antenna are you interested in ?

KC2UGV
10-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Well, for starters, what type antenna are you interested in ?

I like playing with antennas. Going to try some slopers, an inverted L, wire beam, hell; might even try a wire curtain someday :)

K7SGJ
10-14-2012, 06:03 PM
I like playing with antennas. Going to try some slopers, an inverted L, wire beam, hell; might even try a wire curtain someday :)

For Christs sake don't use iron.

kb2vxa
10-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Definitely iron and by all means paint it RED.

K7SGJ
10-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Definitely iron and by all means paint it RED.

I was kinda going for the "iron curtain" angle, but that's a nice pix just the same. I wonder if they're going to build anything now the scaffolding is up?

W5GA
10-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Once you join the League, they will send you birthday offers. That's the best time to get things like the antenna book, ON4UN etc.

n6hcm
10-15-2012, 03:26 AM
look it up on amazon; there should be reviews there. afaik, the reviews there reeked of disappointment.

(if i'm going to buy an arrl book i'll buy it from amazon where it'll be cheaper will ship at no charge. they took $10 to ship a $39.95 for this (http://www.arrl.org/shop/Antenna-Zoning-for-the-Radio-Amateur/) which is clearly highway robbery, but as they're the sole source for the book ... )

W9WLS
10-15-2012, 04:00 AM
There are quite a few "Antenna Book's" available for down load as ".PDF" on the web not to mention an assortment of papers on antenna theory also in .pdf and .doc format.
Just a matter of searching for what you think you are interested in.

I have been disappointed in the ARRL for many years now in most if not all of their offerings, seems that some time around 1970 or so they got more interested in "Marketing" than compiling useful information in one place (the handbook), the last decent hand book I think I remember seeing was about 1974 and even those going back into the 50's had their fault's, especially in their "Construction Projects" with quite often hard to find or exotic part's (depending on what part of the country you live in ) still seems that way.

N8YX
10-15-2012, 04:37 AM
Look for one called the "Antenna Compendium". It's a collection of various QST antenna projects and a few original designs.

I have one of the early (1980) Antenna Handbooks. What's offered nowadays pales in comparison.

W3WN
10-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Look for one called the "Antenna Compendium". It's a collection of various QST antenna projects and a few original designs.

I have one of the early (1980) Antenna Handbooks. What's offered nowadays pales in comparison.The older Antenna Handbooks can often be found at hamfests for a relative pittance, especially if they're not in pristine condition. I always keep my eyes open for those, and pick them up when I can. (Those and RCA tube manuals)

K7SGJ
10-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Yep, keep an eye out for an older Antenna Handbook. Good stuff, and it's never out of date. Or better yet, design something new, submit it for publication. You will become rich and famous and forget all about us gutterwarps and lowlifes here on the Island. You will have an office in Trump Towers, drive an expensive sports car, and buy an island of your own.

Or just throw some wire out of your fucking window and say good nuff.

KC2UGV
10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Yep, keep an eye out for an older Antenna Handbook. Good stuff, and it's never out of date. Or better yet, design something new, submit it for publication. You will become rich and famous and forget all about us gutterwarps and lowlifes here on the Island. You will have an office in Trump Towers, drive an expensive sports car, and buy an island of your own.

Or just throw some wire out of your fucking window and say good nuff.

I got this great idea for an antenna design using fractals...

K7SGJ
10-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Well, there ya go.

NQ6U
10-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Just thinking about it violated seven of Cohen's patents. Prepared to be sued.

W3WN
10-15-2012, 11:58 AM
I wonder... who's Chippy's lawyer? Bob the Shark?

kb2vxa
10-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Nah, the legendary law offices of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe.

WØTKX
10-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Damn librul NPR listener. Do you drive a Volvo?

W5GA
10-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Damn librul NPR listener. Do you drive a Volvo?
Smart car

WØTKX
10-16-2012, 01:46 PM
HA!

Antennex.com is a great resource. I got a free subscription for a period as a helper for a contributor.
The subscription is freaking expensive, but the information is good. Used books are a good bet too.

You can now purchase the complete works of W4RNL (SK) on CD for $50.00. This is very tempting.