PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Can Count.

N2NH
10-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Well all of my dogs and cats had higher IQs than a lot of people who can vote so I'm not surprised.

Scientists — emboldened by recent breakthroughs with the human brain — are now working to find out what, exactly, your pooch is thinking about all day. The results probably won’t surprise you: Dogs think about food. A lot.
According to a recent study (http://www.springerlink.com/content/kuh2p4wy6qtvb1k4/?MUD=MP) published in the journal Animal Cognition, your pup can count how many treats you put in front of her. And if you take one away? Yeah, she can tell — so maybe don’t try it. Findings like these have led scientists to peg an adult dog’s cognitive functioning at around the same level as that of a 2-year-old child, which, if you’ve ever spent any time with a toddler, sounds about right. Most pooches can understand close to 165-250 words, successfully interpret basic social cues and they love to play with iPads.

(http://www.salon.com/2012/10/12/dogs_can_do_math/)Dogs can do math

(http://www.salon.com/2012/10/12/dogs_can_do_math/) A recent study reveals what man's best friend has going on upstairs (http://www.salon.com/2012/10/12/dogs_can_do_math/)

n2ize
10-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Sounds about right. I guess they can recognize quantities although they probably don't assign numbers to them.

NQ6U
10-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Sounds like dogs are at least no worse at math than the guy to whom I gave an admissions test yesterday. I felt sorry for him; I mean, this is a guy who's just proven that he's too dumb to even be a truck driver. I wonder if he's able to tie his own shoes...

W4GPL
10-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Sounds like dogs are at least no worse at math than the guy to whom I gave an admissions test yesterday. I felt sorry for him; I mean, this is a guy who's just proven that he's too dumb to even be a truck driver. I wonder if he's able to tie his own shoes...Sounds like he might have a stellar career at the DMV though..

WØTKX
10-13-2012, 10:55 AM
CDL test for me in a few weeks. :hyper:

NY3V
10-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Sounds like dogs are at least no worse at math than the guy to whom I gave an admissions test yesterday. I felt sorry for him; I mean, this is a guy who's just proven that he's too dumb to even be a truck driver. I wonder if he's able to tie his own shoes...

An excellent candidate for the Tea Party.

NQ6U
10-13-2012, 01:33 PM
CDL test for me in a few weeks. :hyper:

You going for your class A? I just took the written test to add my passenger endorsement yesterday. Dropped the hazmat, though, because I didn't want to drop the $90 for the TSA's fingerprinting and background check. Seems to me that doing that once should be enough, not every time you renew your license.

N2NH
10-13-2012, 03:39 PM
An excellent candidate for the Tea Party.

That went through my mind too but I thought discretion was the better part of valor. We've got a few for whom just being a TP'er isn't quite enough. They fly the BIG TP flag (a black one) in the front yard.

N2NH
10-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Sounds about right. I guess they can recognize quantities although they probably don't assign numbers to them.

So, dogs with a high dog IQ might be used instead of mathematicians soon...
:lol:

K7SGJ
10-13-2012, 09:11 PM
So, dogs with a high dog IQ might be used instead of mathematicians soon...
:lol:

Yep, and mathematicians will be humping your leg.

AE1PT
10-13-2012, 09:45 PM

Forgotten your college math instructors? This is about the best that most of them could hope for...

N2NH
10-13-2012, 10:32 PM

I'm still trying to forget Humpy from QRZ. :lol:

kb2vxa
10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
I was trying to avoid mentioning that!

W7XF
10-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Oh Lawd....

I've heard a lot of would-be drivers unable to go for it because the school's Accounts Receivable officer said they don't trust them for the $$$$.
Therefore, the major influx of candidates to the CDL mills....er...trucking company in-house schools.

But....unable to add 12000 + 34000 + 34000..... yipes.