PDA

View Full Version : What's behind the hatred of ham radio contests?

Pages : [1] 2

Dr. Detroit
10-10-2012, 10:03 PM
First of all, I'm no fan of contests. I don't think I've ever participated in one, and I'm bored by the concept. When there's a contest on, I tend to follow the advice that Riley Hollingsworth gave one year in Dayton: "Just go wash the car or cut the grass."

Nevertheless, I am fascinated by some hams' outright hatred of contests, and yes, even the contesters themselves.

What's behind the hatred of contests? Here's what I've been able to come up with (please add to the list):

1. The contest hater feels that they know best what types of discourse or interactions should take place on amateur radio. They believe that there is a model for the ideal QSO, and that they have special insight into this model's definition. They hate contests because these events deviate so far from their perceived ideal.

2. The contest hater is an emotionalist who assigns value to human communication (ham radio-related or not) in direct proportion to how "meaningful" it seems to them. In general, the longer a contest hater is permitted to speak, the more "meaningful" they will find the exchange.

3. The contest hater values a communication partner in direct proportion to how long that partner is willing to listen.

4. The contest hater feels that he deserves to be entertained by the communications he intercepts on amateur radio. He actively resents communication that lacks content that he finds interesting.

5. The contest hater is typically lonely or isolated, and therefore is intensely alienated by a communication exercise that is purposely designed to limit human interaction to the briefest exchange.

Dr. Detroit

AE1PT
10-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Doc, the trouble is that _____________ does not fit with an individual's conception of what amateur radio should be about. Fill in the blank with your choice of activity.

I detest ecomm whackery--either informal or FEMA/DHS/ARES/RACES style. For me, the photo in the sig line says it all. Contests? A minor irritation and not something that I would deliberately get all ham horny thinking about. But I have inadvertently gotten caught up in one or two--and added a number of states to my list of places worked. And no, I really don't give a shit about WAS or DXCC either.

But these things are really popular--and a lot of hams enjoy the hell out them. This is a good thing, because there is something for everyone in this avocation. Things I find satisfying others might think are terrible. The trouble is that the complainers take their hobby far too seriously.

XE1/N5AL
10-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I don't find the contest itself very interesting; but, if it is a club event, the camaraderie of operating alongside ham friends can make it fun. I'm not into the EmComm thing, but I have friends who get really excited by it. They are very normal people, not the stereotyped nuts, wearing reflective vests, driving around in whackermobiles.

WØTKX
10-10-2012, 11:37 PM
This is similar to other passions or interests. The poo flinging is strong with some, even in a hobby or a sport. For instance, I've been an avid alpine skier for almost as long as I've had the radio bug.

Some folks wanna ski powder, some wanna race, some wanna do moguls. Others screw around in the new fangled parks with the snowboarders. Some snowboard, telemark, or snow skate. Who cares? Arc 'em or park 'em. Rip it, don't strip it.

Have fun around here Doc, and welcome to The Island, mon.

N8YX
10-11-2012, 05:07 AM
There also exists the possibility that those who cannot successfully compete are insanely envious of those who can, and will vent their frustrations whenever the opportunity arises.

k1oik
10-11-2012, 05:33 AM
There also exists the possibility that those who cannot successfully compete are insanely envious of those who can, and will vent their frustrations whenever the opportunity arises.

I would be envious of a loser?
The reason I despise contests is contesters are pigs, they infect a whole band segment and run over all other activities.
They lie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BRFwOowSo

W3WN
10-11-2012, 07:40 AM
There also exists the possibility that those who cannot successfully compete are insanely envious of those who can, and will vent their frustrations whenever the opportunity arises.All things considered, I'm with Fred on this one.

I would be envious of a loser?
The reason I despise contests is contesters are pigs, they infect a whole band segment and run over all other activities.
They lie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BRFwOowSoI am reminded of an old saying that somehow seems to fit the situation:

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.

KC2UGV
10-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Those who can't, teach...

... and those who can't teach, teach gym :lol:

KC2UGV
10-11-2012, 07:52 AM
I don't find the contest itself very interesting; but, if it is a club event, the camaraderie of operating alongside ham friends can make it fun. I'm not into the EmComm thing, but I have friends who get really excited by it. They are very normal people, not the stereotyped nuts, wearing reflective vests, driving around in whackermobiles.

Same here. I'm not into contests, but I find it great that a bunch of people interested in radio light up the bands every weekend, even weekends forecasted to be "dead".

And, as you point out, I'm glad it can bring out the camaraderie that is said to exist in the amateur radio hobby.

ka4dpo
10-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I was a contester at one time and really enjoyed it but I don't really care to contest anymore. In fact I have absolutely no desire to participate in contests anymore except for field day and I don't consider that a contest. Having said that, I don't hate contests. In fact I don't mind them at all since I can find other things to do. Amateur radio has a lot of facits to it and contesting is only one of them. There is something for everyone in the hobby, more power to the contesters if they enjoy it.

N2CHX
10-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I've never really had a competitive nature so I've never been interested in contesting, nor do I have any awards. What attracted me to ham radio was the same thing that attracted me to broadcasting: The power of RF and radio waves traveling long distances fascinates me and it has ever since my bedsprings played the AM station next door when I was little. I don't do ham radio for contesting, but I do listen to contesters sometimes and it's interesting hearing all the stations that hit a contester, where they are from and how strong their signal is.

suddenseer
10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Meh, I'm only interested in contests with $$$, or tangable prizes.

K7SGJ
10-11-2012, 10:44 AM
I've never been interested in contests except it's a great way to see what bands are open, and even get a few reports on the quality of my stations signal if I have changed anything. For those that find contests irritating, I'm reminded of something my Grandma used to say. "Go fucking find something else to do".

N8YX
10-11-2012, 11:11 AM
(Horshack)"Ohh! Ohh! I know! Let's whine about it on the Internet!"(/Horshack)

W8XLR
10-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I dont compete in contests, but I find them quite usefull. Since my primary niche in the hobby is antenna construction/experimentation and vintage equipment restoration, a contest is an exellent way to test my work... especialy on bands that would otherwise be silent.

QSL 5/9? :evil:

BTW, Burt, is'nt that what you were actualy doing in your video? That vertical looks brand new. So, aside from mocking the contesters you worked, the experiment was aparently a success based on the fact anyone heard you at all with only 5 watts on your patio. Also, how do you know you werent 5/9? May be the stations that heard you had giant beam arrays (as many hard core contesters do) and had 30db over s9 QRM? :wtf:

Hell, Id be happy just making the contact with that set up... :yes:

KG4CGC
10-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Because certain amateurs don't like others on their frequencies. Reminds me of dead repeaters and the people who don't like others using their "not being used ever" repeaters.

W8XLR
10-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Because certain amateurs don't like others on their frequencies. Reminds me of dead repeaters and the people who don't like others using their "not being used ever" repeaters.

"GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

n2ize
10-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I think somne people are bitter about contesters because they had one or more bad experiences and then they judge all contesters in the same light. case and point. i remember being involved in a conversation during a contest and out of nowhere a very rude contester 9who could definitely hear us) just jumped on frequency with absolutely no ettiquette or regard and started his "CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST" mantra. it was extremely rude but, I was not about to stereotype all contesters. I am no big fan of contests but, if I encounter one and I don;t want to participate I merely shut down and come back another day.On complaint I hear from contest haters is that "there is always a contest hogging up the bands". How true this is I don't know. Unless I am transmitting I seldom monitor the ham bands. I prefer to listen to vhf/uhf or, HF utilities.

WØTKX
10-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Contests remind me of NASCAR. Everybody gets way too excited about the wreckage. :mrgreen:

I just don't like overt competition. Like Kelli, I'd rather play around and figure stuff out.
Get more of a thrill over the AHA then the TAKE THAT YOU BASTIDS. :dunno:

N7YA
10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Im all out of interest in feeding the Burt, even though this thread is custom tailored for him.

As for contesting, i enjoy the rapid fire qso's and just how active the bands get...it shows there is still interest in getting on the air, and that there are still many stations out there to do it despite HOW they do it. But im a DXer, contests are like the King Salmon run in the Russian River, its a great opportunity to snare that big one in the melee if you are patient enough. I guess it all depends on your personality type too. I havent actually entered a contest since 1996.

The downside for me and contests is the lack of respect i hear from certain super-cannon stations who are far too consumed with the competitive aspect of it. And, just like certain ragchewers and nets, feel they "own" a frequency. Worse yet, just pick a frequency and start blasting away without checking to see if there is another contester, ragchew or net already there. I rarely ever call cq during a contest, i just enjoy the hunt. During the big contests, its always exciting to see whats around the next turn of the knobdial (modified to appease the knobdial crowd). And yes, im totally looking forward to contest season! Steady push to 300 with only 100 watts and a wire!

Dr. Detroit
10-11-2012, 06:41 PM
. . . The reason I despise contests is contesters are pigs . . .

I want to add #6 to the list: Projection.

Projection is a well-studied psychological mechanism in which an individual experiences strong hostile or aggressive emotions, is frightened by them, and, in an unconscious attempt to disown those negative feelings, attributes them to other people. This theory may explain why a particularly hostile or aggressive individual could witness a radio contest and conclude that the participants are all "pigs," whereas a typical person might refer to them as merely "silly" or "boring."

Dr. Detroit

N8YX
10-11-2012, 06:42 PM
The above will NOT buff out.

N7YA
10-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Nor should it! :yes:

Points awarded to Dr. Detroit. You sir, based on my experience, will be a solid islander.

W8XLR
10-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Projection is a well-studied psychological mechanism in which an individual experiences strong hostile or aggressive emotions, is frightened by them, and, in an unconscious attempt to disown those negative feelings, attributes them to other people. This theory may explain why a particularly hostile or aggressive individual could witness a radio contest and conclude that the participants are all "pigs," whereas a typical person might refer to them as merely "silly" or "boring."

Dr. Detroit

Mr. Detroit, Doctor sir,
Your insight and commentary as to the psychological profile of certain amateur radio behavioral attributes is both correct as well as entertaining (funny shit!). Is your doctorate in psychiatry?

Welcome to the Island... I am a new arrival as well, but can say un-equivocaly that these Islanders are a VERY FUN group of natives!

Please, have one on me... Carl's tab is close to the national debt.

73, Phil/W8XLR

NQ6U
10-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Please, have one on me... Carl's tab is close to the national debt.

Not true! It's currently roughly equal with the GNP of Uruguay and I've yet to pay it in my two-plus years of Island residency so the Good Doctor should feel free to order his favorite top-shelf item and add to the total.

KC9ECI
10-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Someday we're all going to meet in Dayton and then I shall school the lot of you on the drinking of beer.

k1oik
10-11-2012, 08:29 PM
All things considered, I'm with Fred on this one.
I am reminded of an old saying that somehow seems to fit the situation:

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.

We vocational teachers do,do. We are required to have six years+ experience in the trade.
We have to handle GIGO, the kids YOU create as a by product of sex that you could give a crap about

k1oik
10-11-2012, 08:31 PM
QSL 5/9? :evil:

BTW, Burt, is'nt that what you were actualy doing in your video? That vertical looks brand new. So, aside from mocking the contesters you worked, the experiment was aparently a success based on the fact anyone heard you at all with only 5 watts on your patio. Also, how do you know you werent 5/9? May be the stations that heard you had giant beam arrays (as many hard core contesters do) and had 30db over s9 QRM? :wtf:

Hell, Id be happy just making the contact with that set up... :yes:
I was not 59 because most stations asked multiple times for a repeat. Contesters lie

k1oik
10-11-2012, 08:33 PM
... and those who can't teach, teach gym :lol:

I am not a gym teacher but that comment shows what an ass you are
Even Dorothy knows

W8XLR
10-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Not true! It's currently roughly equal with the GNP of Uruguay and I've yet to pay it in my two-plus years of Island residency so the Good Doctor should feel free to order his favorite top-shelf item and add to the total.

Your a good man, Charlie Brown!

W3WN
10-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I think somne people are bitter about contesters because they had one or more bad experiences and then they judge all contesters in the same light. case and point. I remember being involved in a conversation during a contest and out of nowhere a very rude contester (who could definitely hear us) just jumped on frequency with absolutely no ettiquette or regard and started his "CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST" mantra. it was extremely rude but, I was not about to stereotype all contesters. I am no big fan of contests but, if I encounter one and I don;t want to participate I merely shut down and come back another day.On complaint I hear from contest haters is that "there is always a contest hogging up the bands". How true this is I don't know. Unless I am transmitting I seldom monitor the ham bands. I prefer to listen to vhf/uhf or, HF utilities.Thank you. Not only glad to know you "get it", but that you're willing to say so.

There are a few (ok, more than a 'few') rude hams out there. Some of them are contesters. Many of them, however, are not. The percentage of rude jacka$$es out there is proportional to the percentage from the general public; the impact, however, is greater because of the nature of our shared bands and how propagation often works.

I could tell you stories. One day I will, but not today, not when I suspect a certain induhvidual would take those stories out of context and use them as "ammo" in his anti-contest crusade.

W3WN
10-11-2012, 08:43 PM
We vocational teachers do,do. We are required to have six years+ experience in the trade.
We have to handle GIGO, the kids YOU create as a by product of sex that you could give a crap aboutI resent that comment sir. How do you know how much of a "crap" I give about my kids? Clearly not much, or you wouldn't make that comment.

The insinuation is unwarranted and uncalled for.

And don't bother telling me how tough teachers have it. Both of my sister-in-law teach High School science. I hear the stories. From what little factual information you have revealed, it appears that you couldn't hold a candle to either of them.

W3WN
10-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I was not 59 because most stations asked multiple times for a repeat. Contesters lieDo you know the difference between '59' and '59/QRM' ? And under which condition is more likely on a crowded band? To say nothing of '59/QSB'?

Does the omission of a QRM or QSB designation make the other operator a liar? Or just imprecise?

Did it ever occur to you that a repeat was asked for to make certain that they DID hear you correctly?

Isn't it just possible that your audio was distorted (I'm presuming that you were using SSB since you're saying '59' not '599')?

I strongly suspect Burt that the truth is...

Your station is inadequate to operate under crowded band conditions. Maybe you need a better antenna. Maybe you need better filters. Maybe you need better coax. Or maybe you need someone to show you how to properly operate your equipment. Or your station is incapable of changing bands to adjust for crowded band conditions.

Or you are inflexible and unwilling to adjust for crowded band conditions, and expect everyone else to adjust to accomodate you and your wishes. And if that is the case... no, there's no need to state the obvious.

You blame others for your own shortcomings, and hide behind your former career as the excuse to do so.

It is unfortunate that you'd rather denigrate others than improve your own station... or yourself. But that's not my problem; that's yours.

W8XLR
10-11-2012, 09:05 PM
We have to handle GIGO, the kids YOU create as a by product of sex that you could give a crap about

Devils advocate mode on... Ill tell that my high school metal shop teacher, Mr Crites, was the person who taught me the basic skills required to make a living with my own hands and personal initiative. He was also my friend... died many years ago. His lessons are not forgotten in my mind, as they were priceless information. He wasn't there to correct my spelling, but to teach me how to weld, operate a lathe and a Bridgeport milling machine, as well as a shear & brake.

Devils advocate mode off... Burt, "lighten up Francis"

Dr. Detroit
10-11-2012, 10:24 PM
. . . the kids YOU create as a by product of sex that you could give a crap about . . .

I've noticed that folks who are least capable of making a cogent response often will resort to ad hominem douchebaggery early in the thread. No exception here!

--Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit
10-11-2012, 10:31 PM
W8XLR ... thanks for posting that Genny beer can. It brought me back to the days of my youth in upstate NY, when it was always a struggle choosing between Genny Beer and Genny Cream Ale.

Dr. Detroit

W8XLR
10-11-2012, 10:41 PM
W8XLR ... thanks for posting that Genny beer can. It brought me back to the days of my youth in upstate NY, when it was always a struggle choosing between Genny Beer and Genny Cream Ale.

Dr. Detroit

Cheers, Doctor...

KG4CGC
10-11-2012, 10:54 PM
WOOOOoooo! Time for a round of stiff ones.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/144474-5.jpg

KJ3N
10-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I've refrained from commenting on this subject so far, trying to figure out how to respond to this subject.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't really care about contest haters. In my mind, they're just jealous of the fact that they can never pony up a signal to save their lives.

I believe that quite a number of these haters run sub-par stations. They have compromise antennas, compromise radios, and can barely be heard across the state, let alone across the country.

Then we get to the portion that are the rag chewers who, for whatever reason, can't seem to deal with the fact that 2 days out of 7 they can't bore the rest of us with their endless bather. I mean, really, you guys get on the same frequency every fucking day and talk about absolutely nothing. Who gives a fuck which operation you or the wife have had this month?

Next are the net-a-holics. Your precious net meets everyday on the same frequency for the last century. Every. Fucking. Day. Is the world really going to come to an end and explode because your spoon-fed WAS or DX net doesn't happen that day? A disclaimer here; I used to participate in one WAS net until I finally realized that I didn't want to deal with burning through 500 QSL cards in 6 weeks. I'll never make that mistake again.

And you don't want to get me started with that HF Whacker Net called the MMSN. Those guys are just frequency squatting, plain and simple. They don't own any frequency, period.

Go to QRZ. Do a search on the contest complaining. Look up the calls of the most vociferous complainers. Then look at the number of lookups for those calls. There's a telling trend in quite a number of those calls. One has to wonder if these people ever get on the air in the first place.

The biggest (somewhat exaggerated) complaint is that there's a contest every weekend. Technically, they may be right. However, a very large portion of those contests are quite minor. A large number of them are short duration contests. Is an 8-12 hour contest really putting you out? A 4 hour sprint? A state QSO party? Get a life. :roll:

There are very few that take up the entire weekend. CQWW and ARRL contests are pretty much the major ones. Nearly everything else is small potatoes. Not to mention the fact that, usually, the major contests are mode specific. They are either SSB, CW, or RTTY. Not all at the same time. Learn to use another mode for a change.

I grow sick and tired of the BS of "I only have 100 watts" as well. I purposely contest with 100 watts. My antennas are such that I can do that with good results. Working 60-85 DXCC entities in a weekend contest with 100 watts doesn't happen by accident. Working 46 out of 50 states in a single weekend during the DE QSO party with 100 watts isn't luck. Just because you have crap for an antenna, doesn't mean the rest of us should be lowered to your pathetic level. This nonsense about making all contesters run 100 watts won't stop anything. You'll still get "stepped on" because no one can hear you and your piss-ant weak station. Either get a real antenna in the air, or GTFO.

I get that there are folks that don't like contests. What I don't get is the foaming at the mouth hatred. Get a fucking life.

KJ3N
10-11-2012, 11:41 PM
I strongly suspect Burt that the truth is...

Your station is inadequate to operate under crowded band conditions. Maybe you need a better antenna. Maybe you need better filters. Maybe you need better coax. Or maybe you need someone to show you how to properly operate your equipment. Or your station is incapable of changing bands to adjust for crowded band conditions.

From what I can tell, he has antennas that could work if he ever learned how to properly engineer and deploy them. You would think that someone who has been licensed since 1959 would eventually learn proper antenna theory. Sadly, I doubt this is the case.

Or you are inflexible and unwilling to adjust for crowded band conditions, and expect everyone else to adjust to accomodate you and your wishes. And if that is the case... no, there's no need to state the obvious.

Oh, yes there is. "Don't hold your fucking breath, jackass. Contests are here to stay. Get the fuck over it already. Who the fuck made you "god" to decide how others enjoy the hobby? Go fuck yourself."

You blame others for your own shortcomings, and hide behind your former career as the excuse to do so.

It is unfortunate that you'd rather denigrate others than improve your own station... or yourself. But that's not my problem; that's yours.

That's not his only problem.

AE1PT
10-12-2012, 01:46 AM
Jeez, another meeting of "The Burt Admiration Society."

Let's move quickly on...

Methinks that Friar William's razor needs applied to this matter. Everyone is getting all wrapped up in process and outcomes. I will maintain what I said in the beginning--and the most simplistic lens to capture the problem is likely the closest answer.

The whiners simply cannot influence or control the debate--forget about the outcomes. Each individual has a particular cosmology of what amateur radio should or should not be. In traveling about for that place that shall not be named in this thread I met and talked to thousands of hams.

The frothy mouthed objectors were by far an emotionally insecure group. Delving about a bit (and perhaps confirmed by the aforementioned 'lookup count') one discovers that in the mien they are also underachievers in their personal and professional lives. They often are equally argumentative concerning anything involving authority--and are resentful over their lack of power to change the perceptions or patterns of contests--or much of anything else. Victims indeed, and lamenting that fact tremendously. Looks a bit passive-aggressive to me--of which projection in a profound presentation.

One thing that is certain--the world will never be how we want it to be--nor should it. The challenge is how healthy we are in responding to that fact.

As to old folks discussing their ailments--you should live so long as to do this. For many, what is wrong and the activities surrounding doctors and medication are what the day revolves around. I don't need to listen to 75M, I have a 97YO mother in law who lives with us that provides all the color I need...

k1oik
10-12-2012, 03:45 AM
The insinuation is unwarranted and uncalled for.

And don't bother telling me how tough teachers have it. Both of my sister-in-law teach High School science. I hear the stories. From what little factual information you have revealed, it appears that you couldn't hold a candle to either of them.

Re: insinuation, pot, kettle, black
Re: second comment look at the link in my signature or 7576

W3WN
10-12-2012, 07:14 AM
From what I can tell, he has antennas that could work if he ever learned how to properly engineer and deploy them. You would think that someone who has been licensed since 1959 would eventually learn proper antenna theory. Sadly, I doubt this is the case. < snip >Many hams are more operators than technical. This has been a trend for 50 - 60 years or more. So I would not be at all surprised if you are pretty much correct in this case.

I ran into this years ago, back when I worked in the local ham store. You'd have someone come in and complain about the new Brand X antenna that they'd just bought... didn't work right, so obviously, the antenna and/or manufacturer was at fault. It wouldn't be until you delved into it that you'd learn things weren't quite so... a shortcut on reading the assembly instructions, a few misplaced parts, and sudden ad-hoc re=engineering design. And my favorite, to paraphrase a famous movie cliche... "Radials? We don't need no stinkin' radials!"

My absolute favorite on this (and I still have the email stashed somewhere) was from the guy complaining about the performance of the Butternut V/UHF scanner antenna. It wouldn't load up on 6, 2, 1.25, or .70 meter bands. Now, I made the mistake of pointing the obvious out to him... this was a RECEIVING antenna designed for scanners, it was NOT designed to match transmitters and be a TRANSMITTING antenna on the V/UHF ham bands. His flame back to me... bombastic rhetoric aside... he bought the antenna to use for transmitting, so it was Butternut's fault that it didn't work right (for him) out of the box, regardless of how they designed it.

Right.

< snip >Oh, yes there is.< snip >Well, you put it a little more eloquently than I did.

< snip >
That's not his only problem.Well, that's obvious as well.

KC2UGV
10-12-2012, 07:20 AM
I am not a gym teacher but that comment shows what an ass you are
Even Dorothy knows

Funny enough, my son's gym teacher that that was hilarious when I told him the joke.

In other words: Lighten up Francis!

N7YA
10-12-2012, 08:04 AM
We vocational teachers do,do.

Burt...everyone doodoo's.

N7YA
10-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Burt...you're creepy.

kb2crk
10-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I am not a contester nor do I have any problems with contesters. I have never had a problem making contacts and having QSOs during a contest. I don't know why any normal person would have an issue with contesters.

KG4CGC
10-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I think I've said this before. I know others have. Contests are a good way for non contesters to test their gear.

However, if you're a part of a group that is vehemently opposed to contest activity, leave the rest of the world be and join a support group or go touch your wiener.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/hotdogoutline.gif
Or maybe go play with your balls.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/edf93b58.jpg
Perhaps your friend's balls.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/japanese-doritos-1.jpg

NQ6U
10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't know why any normal person would have an issue with contesters.

Emphasis mine. I think that explains Burt.

K7SGJ
10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Re: insinuation, pot, kettle, black
Re: second comment look at the link in my signature or 7576

Well, as I mentioned before, even a blind squirrel occasionally finds nut. Looks like Justin found one.

N7YA
10-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I sincerely hope not! :shock:

k1oik
10-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Dr. Detroit
I want to add #7
Inability to accept reality

Pig a person of piglike character, behavior, or habits, as one who is gluttonous, very fat, greedy, selfish, or filthy.
Many Contesters fit several of those characteristics, if not all

k1oik
10-13-2012, 08:12 PM
[/COLOR]
Well, as I mentioned before, even a blind squirrel occasionally finds nut. Looks like Justin found one.

Exactly what I would hope you would say to give me an excuse to post more
Dave Gimblett (http://www.facebook.com/dave.gimblett)

I know your not a softie but its the truth! You were tough but always made us learn from our mistakes! Taught us that life isn't always.fair! Taught us to work hard..I could go on...I talk about you frequently when I'm comparing teachers my kids have! By the way teachers are way to easy on kids today! I hope retired life treating you well! I hope your finally spending all that $! Between stock market and money you saved on gas all those years. You should be doing ok! Lol..have great Bday Burt

NQ6U
10-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Egotism is the anesthetic that eases the pain of mediocrity.

N7YA
10-14-2012, 04:22 AM
The more he posts, the more of a sick fucker i truly believe him to be. I really dont care what he thinks of me, i think the guy is a fucked up sociopath.

k1oik
10-14-2012, 05:56 AM
The more he posts, the more of a sick fucker i truly believe him to be. I really dont care what he thinks of me, i think the guy is a fucked up sociopath.

Please do not use a word no decent woman would do with you

kb2crk
10-14-2012, 06:39 AM

I do believe you have struck a chord.
BTW what kind of aircraft is that in your sig?

kf0rt
10-14-2012, 07:09 AM
BTW what kind of aircraft is that in your sig?

A FUN question!

N7YA is a Cessna Citation 550, registered to Rolling Green Enterprises, LLC.
Rolling Green has one employee, Yuval Almog
Almog is a founder and Senior Managing Director of Coral Group.
He's an ex-fighter pilot and instructor for the Israeli Air Force, and has relocated to the US.
Coral Group does venture capital.

Oh, and I just *loves* the Google. :rofl:

N7YA
10-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Nah, he just never has a good comeback for me....i see a big difference in me using an expletive word in an otherwise normal context to his constant, narcissistic negativity toward everyone here simply because we're hams. Again, he's fun for a second, but its like eating PB&J every day, its ok but it gets old fast. Something will happen, then not happen....he will post 4 or 5 responses in a row, all of them with some smartass reply to frantically and desperately keep all eyes on him...but then, he wont, only because i said he would. Then he may yet, only because i said he wouldn't after i said he would. :lol:

The aircraft is a 1999 Cessna Citation Bravo 550...wish it were mine. But then again, with fuel, maintenance, multitudes of fees and costs including the price of parking it somewhere, ill just keep it parked for free on my sigline. :yes:

Burt, you are cleared for approach....maybe....maybe not.....lets see what happens.

N7YA
10-14-2012, 07:16 AM
A FUN question!

He's an ex-fighter pilot and instructor for the Israeli Air Force, and has relocated to the US.

Your Google-fu was much sharper than mine...you win this time, Batman!

K7SGJ
10-14-2012, 10:02 AM
A FUN question!

I did a flight aware search awhile back, and the plane makes a couple trips a week from Minnesota to Colorado, as I recall. I think he's a drug runner; so when DEA confiscates the bird, Adam can bid on it, and go to Maine any time he wants/needs to. If Carl pays his bar tab, there would be more than enough $$ to buy and operate it; and I would gladly sign on as radio op/navigator/bombardier/ turret gunner.

NQ6U
10-14-2012, 10:08 AM
I logged 50 hours in a Cessna 152, I could fly that Citation no problem. After all, a Cessna is a Cessna, right?

K7SGJ
10-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I logged 50 hours in a Cessna 152, I could fly that Citation no problem. After all, a Cessna is a Cessna, right?

Why yes, that is very true. However, the Citation is a little harder to start by hand propping. SWITCH ON CLEAR PROP

n2ize
10-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Dr. Detroit

Yes. When I was up in the Adirondacks I remember seeing a lot of Genny beer. Every local store has it. Genny beer is (or was) the king of beers in upstate. Just as Piels beer was the King of Beers in my childhood neighborhood of East New York, Brooklyn.

I am more of an electronic experimenter than a ham. I like to build circuits and experiment with them. Main reason I got a ham license was because I was interested in playing around with building higher powered transmitter circuits as well as restoring and modifying old transmitters.

n2ize
10-14-2012, 11:58 AM
If you have experience in the 152 you can probably learn the Citation with relative ease.

NQ6U
10-14-2012, 12:08 PM
If you have experience in the 152 you can probably learn the Citation with relative ease.

Hah. But I'll bet the adverse yaw of the Citation isn't as severe as it is in the 152. Wonder what an approach-to-landing stall is like in the jet, though. It was bad enough in the 152—that sucker wanted to go right into a spin.

N7YA
10-14-2012, 03:56 PM
I did a flight aware search awhile back, and the plane makes a couple trips a week from Minnesota to Colorado, as I recall. I think he's a drug runner; so when DEA confiscates the bird, Adam can bid on it, and go to Maine any time he wants/needs to. If Carl pays his bar tab, there would be more than enough $$ to buy and operate it; and I would gladly sign on as radio op/navigator/bombardier/ turret gunner.

Im in! :agree:

N8YX
10-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Screw that Citation...I wants me a Backfire or Blackjack with an all-girl crew.

N7YA
10-14-2012, 04:36 PM
With Clint Eastwood as the pilot...always in communication with his copilot...never really accepting that its a single-seater.

Oh no he didnt.....

kf0rt
10-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Im in! :agree:

Doubt I could afford a tank of gas.

K7SGJ
10-14-2012, 07:16 PM

I'm sure Charles has something on the top shelf that will work.

kf0rt
10-14-2012, 07:19 PM

ETA: 800 gallons @ about $5 per; $4,000

n2ize
10-16-2012, 07:17 AM
I want to add #7
Inability to accept reality

Pig a person of piglike character, behavior, or habits, as one who is gluttonous, very fat, greedy, selfish, or filthy.
Many Contesters fit several of those characteristics, if not all

Okay, so you have made it clear you don't like contests. That is fine. Now why not discuss what you do like to do ? I am more of an electronics experimenter than anything else. I enjoy building and experimenting with electrical and electronic circuits, lasers, rf and radiation detectors, HV circuits, and other cool stuff. Ham radio gives me an opportunity to build and test rf circuits and actually put them on the air and use them for communications. I also enjoy experimenting with old vintage tube gear, modifying, restoring, and bringing old tube rigs back to life...

So, other than complain about hams and contesters what sort of stuff do you like to do ?

N7YA
10-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I like contests.

And pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream on top!

N2CHX
10-16-2012, 09:08 AM
I like contests.

And pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream on top!

My son won a 5 lb giant Hershey bar in a raffle yesterday. Each member of his high school band got one entry in the raffle for each box of fundraiser candy they sold. He sold one. Apparently one of his friends who sold six was pretty pissed :lol:

kb2vxa
10-16-2012, 11:20 AM
You just might say the luck of the draw raffled his feathers.

K7SGJ
10-16-2012, 11:30 AM
When it comes to contests, I'm kinda partial to the wet tee shirt ones. But, that's just me.

I usually take my small portable clothes dryer with me, you never know when one of the contestants will want to throw in the shirt, so to speak.

W3WN
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
I like contests.

And pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream on top!I once knew a cute girl nicknamed Pumpkin... but I never could get her interested in fresh whipped cream... (and we'll leave the rest of that quip to your imagination)

KJ3N
10-16-2012, 01:29 PM
So, other than complain about hams and contesters what sort of stuff do you like to do ?

On the internet? Nothing other than the usual tripe already offered.

There's no acceptance of the actual reality for some people. Contests are here to stay and they get more popular as time goes on.

Deal with it, or GTFO.

W3WN
10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
My son won a 5 lb giant Hershey bar in a raffle yesterday. Each member of his high school band got one entry in the raffle for each box of fundraiser candy they sold. He sold one. Apparently one of his friends who sold six was pretty pissed :lol:The last company Christmas party I went to for this one place I used to work, well, it was after the firm had been acquired (hostile takeover, younger brother took over older brother's company... bad juju all around)... anyway, they had a unique way of giving out a holiday "bonus"

They had a tree set up in the front. People were called up alphabetically, pick an envelope. Whatever was in the envelope, that was your holiday bonus. Most people got $50, a few got $100, a few got $200, 2 or 3 got $250, 1 got $500 (and if you couldn't make the party, for whatever reason, no bonus. Yeah, the new owner was a cheapskate).

I picked a $200 envelope.

My immediate supervisor (who had had about 5 beers to many) got $50.

Right after the "drawing" he came up to me, explained that since he was my supervisor, he should get more of a bonus than I did, and demanded I exchange envelopes with him. I told him "sorry, I've already given the envelope to my wife. Talk to her". That was that.

I never said a word about it afterwards, but I learned later that the owner got wind of this and chewed the guy out.

...in a "game" of chance, which is what a raffle is, you takes your chances. Someone can have half the tickets entered & still not win a sous. So it goes. No point in being sore about it.

WX7P
10-16-2012, 01:59 PM
My son won a 5 lb giant Hershey bar in a raffle yesterday. Each member of his high school band got one entry in the raffle for each box of fundraiser candy they sold. He sold one. Apparently one of his friends who sold six was pretty pissed :lol:

Interesting.

I won $250 at a car show raffle in Oregon with only three tickets. The grand prize was $1000 and some people bought as many as 20 tickets.

They were not amused.

K7SGJ
10-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Like the 93 year old woman that buys one lotto ticket for a buck and win 645 million big ones. Others that bought $500 worth end up with a $2.00 winner. Such is life.

KC9ECI
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
I won $10K on a slot machine in 97. Haven't really been back to a casino since.

XE1/N5AL
10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Some years ago, I was at a trade show as a product exhibitor for a large Japanese company. During the show, the attendees would put their business cards in a big bowl for the daily prize drawing. Each afternoon, the prize drawing was held behind closed doors. On the final day, there was to be a drawing for a $5,000 big screen T.V.

A week before the show, the bosses in Sales had already predetermined who was going to win every single prize. It was the salesmen's job to be sure that when one of these "winning customers" entered our booth, they would be persuaded to enter the prize drawing. You can't award a prize to someone who didn't enter!

Everything went smoothly until the final day of the show, with the grand prize, big screen T.V. drawing. One of our senior sales managers, who was an acquaintance of the man preselected to win the T.V., learned that he had already purchased a big screen T.V. during the weekend before the trade show. The big bosses at our company were in a quandary: it wouldn't have much impact to award a prize to someone who already had one. Yet, this guy was a very influential person for the business.

While the salesmen scratched their heads, I made an off-hand comment that I had spent time at the show talking with the son of their "Grand Prize winner". The son was a new college grad (in Engineering) who had accompanied his dad to the trade show as an industry learning experience. The son had just rented an apartment and was in the process of acquiring furniture for it.

Our quick-thinking Sales V.P. asked me if the son had entered the contest. I replied that I had coaxed him into filling out a card and dropping it into the bowl. I searched through the pile of entries and quickly located the son's card. The Sales V.P. snatched the card from my hand, held it up in the air and loudly proclaimed to his Sales underlings: "WE HAVE A WINNER!!!". :)

N7YA
10-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Like the 93 year old woman that buys one lotto ticket for a buck and win 645 million big ones. Others that bought $500 worth end up with a $2.00 winner. Such is life.

Yep, and when she dies...which would be soon, the payments stop. Just like that. If a young person wins, there is a likelyhood that they will have to pay over time, for a long time...not good for business. My mom always buys one of those damn tickets.

I say, save your money.

NQ6U
10-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Given the fact that buying a ticket only slightly increases one's chance of winning, I see the Lotto as a tax on people who can't do arithmetic.

KC9ECI
10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Given the fact that buying a ticket only slightly increases one's chance of winning, I see the Lotto as a tax on people who can't do arithmetic.

I bought one the last time it was in the hundreds or millions of dollars range. Other than that, I can't be bothered to mess with it.

N7YA
10-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Every ticket sold mathmatically decreases your chance of winning by increasing the pool of potential winners anyway, soooo......yeah.

XE1/N5AL
10-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Lottery thoughts from the wisdom of "Ken M", apparently a comical troll who posts his uninformed comments on various newspaper and blog websites ( http://horseysurprise.tumblr.com/ ):

and his thoughts on poverty:

N7YA
10-17-2012, 06:18 PM
I agree with him...those upper class homeless people are ruining everything!

W3WN
10-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Yep, and when she dies...which would be soon, the payments stop. Just like that. If a young person wins, there is a likelyhood that they will have to pay over time, for a long time...not good for business. My mom always buys one of those damn tickets.

I say, save your money.
Ah, no, that's not the way it works.

The big prizes are awarded in one of two ways:

An upfront payment and annuity payments for the forseeable future... usually 20 years, so figure it as (before taxes) the total divided by 21.

Or

A lump sum payment, usually in the neighborhood of 50% (before taxes) of the advertised amount.

So, let's say you win a $21 Million dollar lottery. You either get $1 M up front, and and equal amount every year for 20 years, or ~$11.5 in a lump sum. (The exact amount depends on what type of annuity they could buy -- so either you get the cash up front, or they buy you the annuity).

Either way... if you pass away before the annuity pays off, the balance goes to your estate.

And keep in mind... those numbers are BEFORE taxes. Now, in the great Commonwealth (hah!) of Pennsylvania, they take the state taxes off the top... so, that "$20 M" lottery is advertised as the after-state tax amount. Still, figure on top of that roughly 40% goes to various Federal taxes, and at least here, 1% to the local municipality (a lot more in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, as much as 3.5%)

So... let's say you "win" $20 M in the lottery. Elect the lump sum, you're down to about $10 M. After the dust clears from taxes, call it somewhere between $5 M & $5.5 M, give or take. In short, your net take is in the neighborhood of 25% of the advertised (gross) amount.

Somehow, I think I can live on that...

W3WN
10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Given the fact that buying a ticket only slightly increases one's chance of winning, I see the Lotto as a tax on people who can't do arithmetic.If you want to influence the odds in your favor by any significant amount, you would have to spend so much on tickets that frankly, if you had that much money, you wouldn't be playing the lottery.

Well, that, or you're an embezzeler...

But if you want that 1 in 100 million or so chance, you do have to buy 1 ticket.

... I know the odds. I look on this as "mad money". It's a lark. It's a chance. It's money I used to spend on candy bars, back when I could still eat them. I do it for fun. But -- I buy a ticket or two a week. I don't blow half my paycheck on them. And if I don't win, big deal... I had a little fun for a buck.

NN3W
10-18-2012, 05:53 AM
I think many of the anti-contesters are bitter and angry about the persona and success of many contesters. Face it, most competitive contesters are Type A personalities. It takes money to build a competitive contest station and money comes (usually) from being successful at what you do. W2SC is a multi millionaire and is one of the more cunning CEOs around - he's also one of the best contesters out there. Same with W5GN who has a number of patents and those patents allow him to -print- money. He fucking owns a castle in Ireland. K0DQ was a two star admiral and N4OC was the vice-chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. While they're not personally wealthy (as far as I know), getting themselves to their respected positions takes a lot of savvy and confidence. Again, all are incredibly successful contesters.

The bitter anti contest crowd is usually 1) divorced, 2) physically unattractive, 3) angry about life, 4) unwilling or inflexible about change or variations from the "norm", and 5) unwilling to accept the fact that others can and DO have fun in ways that the anti-contest crowd can't possibly fathom.

The fact of the matter is that contesting is becoming more popular every year. Every. single. fucking. year, more logs are being submitted to contest sponsors.

KC2UGV
10-18-2012, 06:27 AM
K0DQ was a two star admiral and N4OC was the vice-chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. While they're not personally wealthy (as far as I know),

A retired 2 star, and a retired JCS would be relatively wealthy :) Just sayin'

I do, however, agree with your post here.

NN3W
10-18-2012, 06:45 AM
A retired 2 star, and a retired JCS would be relatively wealthy :) Just sayin'

I do, however, agree with your post here.

Compared to the average worker, they're certainly paid better. But given the responsibilities they face, they're woefully underpaid as CEOs.

W3WN
10-18-2012, 08:06 AM
I think many of the anti-contesters are bitter and angry about the persona and success of many contesters. Face it, most competitive contesters are Type A personalities. It takes money to build a competitive contest station and money comes (usually) from being successful at what you do. W2SC is a multi millionaire and is one of the more cunning CEOs around - he's also one of the best contesters out there. Same with W5GN who has a number of patents and those patents allow him to -print- money. He fucking owns a castle in Ireland. K0DQ was a two star admiral and N4OC was the vice-chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. While they're not personally wealthy (as far as I know), getting themselves to their respected positions takes a lot of savvy and confidence. Again, all are incredibly successful contesters.

The bitter anti contest crowd is usually 1) divorced, 2) physically unattractive, 3) angry about life, 4) unwilling or inflexible about change or variations from the "norm", and 5) unwilling to accept the fact that others can and DO have fun in ways that the anti-contest crowd can't possibly fathom.

The fact of the matter is that contesting is becoming more popular every year. Every. single. fucking. year, more logs are being submitted to contest sponsors.Welcome back Rich, it's been awhile.

I think you've put your finger on it, at least for a good many of the anti-contest crowd.

Also factor in those who believe that they "own" their pet frequency 24/7/365, whether they use or or not (think: 20 M SSTV for one example, most Net Control stations for others), and woe be it on anyone who dares to tread on "their" frequency!

Now there are some people with legitimate beefs. Some of the "Type A" contest personalities and/or their station ops (for the M/S M/2 & M/M groups) are rude, and forget common courtesy -- the contest is all that matters, so GTF out of their way. They will step on existing QSO's, or try to take over someone else's run frequency, or "slide" up or down until they QRM someone else. You and I both know of more than a few ops who do this (I'm thinking of one who's contest station is about an hour north & 15 minutes west of my home). Try and tell them about it, and what they're doing, and they (no surprise) don't want to hear it -- or tell you if you don't like they way they operate, get off the band. So this animosity breeds more animosity.

The solution is simple. Penalize the rude operators for not following common courtesy and good amateur practice. Yeah, easy to say, hard to do. And since many of these Type A schmucks now run most of the major contest committees... not going to happen.

Fortunately, the schmucks in this category are relatively few. But they do cause a ton of grief for the rest of us.

NN3W
10-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Welcome back Rich, it's been awhile.

I think you've put your finger on it, at least for a good many of the anti-contest crowd.

Also factor in those who believe that they "own" their pet frequency 24/7/365, whether they use or or not (think: 20 M SSTV for one example, most Net Control stations for others), and woe be it on anyone who dares to tread on "their" frequency!

Now there are some people with legitimate beefs. Some of the "Type A" contest personalities and/or their station ops (for the M/S M/2 & M/M groups) are rude, and forget common courtesy -- the contest is all that matters, so GTF out of their way. They will step on existing QSO's, or try to take over someone else's run frequency, or "slide" up or down until they QRM someone else. You and I both know of more than a few ops who do this (I'm thinking of one who's contest station is about an hour north & 15 minutes west of my home). Try and tell them about it, and what they're doing, and they (no surprise) don't want to hear it -- or tell you if you don't like they way they operate, get off the band. So this animosity breeds more animosity.

The solution is simple. Penalize the rude operators for not following common courtesy and good amateur practice. Yeah, easy to say, hard to do. And since many of these Type A schmucks now run most of the major contest committees... not going to happen.

Fortunately, the schmucks in this category are relatively few. But they do cause a ton of grief for the rest of us.

I've always likened ham radio contesting to two other sports: auto racing and professional lake fishing.

Contesting is similar to lake fishing in that a group of fishman take over the lake on the weekend and operate at will. As long as you are within the confines of the lake and follow the contest rules, you can do what you want. Within limits you have your choice of pole, bait, and boat. Its then up to you to decide where you want to fish, where you think the fish are biting and which fish to keep and which to toss back. Contesting is the similar. Contest begins and the bands spring to life for the next 12, 24, 36, or 48 hours. You have your choice of radio (rod) and antenna/linear (reel, tackle). You decide which bands you feel are most productive and you decide if operating on a certain band is worth the activity. Like fishing, most contesting is an individual endeavor.

Contesting is similar to NASCAR racing in that the event is primarily focused on an indvidual sitting at the operating position and concentrating - closely - to the radio and the controls for HOURS on end. There is drafting, there is bumping, people get cut off, and sometimes people crash. That is all part of the game. At the end of the auto race, a driver is physically exhausted from so much physical and mental strain. The same is true of the endurance contests.

I invite ANYONE who scoffs at the notion that contesting is not physically and mentally challenging to park their butts in front of the radio for 48 straight hours or 46 out of 48 hours and to be able to sound like a coherent humam being at the end of those 48 hours.

KG4NEL
10-18-2012, 08:26 AM
I guess the only difference is that even though there are races that take place on public roadways, they shut them down to outsiders during the event. Wouldn't want to have Pierre in his Citroen get overtaken by Le Mans prototypes at 150mph down the Mulsanne.

Hey, there's an idea...can you imagine the threads if 20 meters was closed for a weekend for CQWW :twisted:

K7SGJ
10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I've always likened ham radio contesting to two other sports: auto racing and professional lake fishing.

Contesting is similar to lake fishing in that a group of fishman take over the lake on the weekend and operate at will. As long as you are within the confines of the lake and follow the contest rules, you can do what you want. Within limits you have your choice of pole, bait, and boat. Its then up to you to decide where you want to fish, where you think the fish are biting and which fish to keep and which to toss back. Contesting is the similar. Contest begins and the bands spring to life for the next 12, 24, 36, or 48 hours. You have your choice of radio (rod) and antenna/linear (reel, tackle). You decide which bands you feel are most productive and you decide if operating on a certain band is worth the activity. Like fishing, most contesting is an individual endeavor.

Contesting is similar to NASCAR racing in that the event is primarily focused on an indvidual sitting at the operating position and concentrating - closely - to the radio and the controls for HOURS on end. There is drafting, there is bumping, people get cut off, and sometimes people crash. That is all part of the game. At the end of the auto race, a driver is physically exhausted from so much physical and mental strain. The same is true of the endurance contests.

I invite ANYONE who scoffs at the notion that contesting is not physically and mentally challenging to park their butts in front of the radio for 48 straight hours or 46 out of 48 hours and to be able to sound like a coherent humam being at the end of those 48 hours.

Yeah, but have you ever tried to get a worm on 10M beam, or change the oil in a linear? And trolling........................oh.............nev er mind, that's an internet activity.

k1oik
10-18-2012, 09:02 AM

Contesting is similar to lake fishing in that a group of fishman take over the lake on the weekend and operate at will. As long as you are within the confines of the lake and follow the contest rules, you can do what you want.

A fisherman winds up with something to eat, the ham contester just eats.
It is physically challenging to sit on your ass for 48 hours? Tell the US Marines, they will change their boot camp.
I've always likened ham radio contesting to two other sports, telling whoopers, eating contests

K7SGJ
10-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Well, there goes the fucking thread again. Just when it was successfully hijacked.

NN3W
10-18-2012, 09:11 AM
A fisherman winds up with something to eat, the ham contester just eats.

Sport fisherman usually toss the fish back.

It is physically challenging to sit on your ass for 48 hours? Tell the US Marines, they will change their boot camp.
I've always likened ham radio contesting to two other sports, telling whoopers, eating contests

Burt, you have no idea what you're talking about. That is because you are a fucking bitter, divorced, angry, self-centered, I get my confidence from Youtube hit counter tallies, self loathing, hate the world because they dont love me piece of crap.

Simple as that.

You've been going on now for nearly 20 years .... on and on .... about this contesters are liars and idiots and pigs bullshit. On and on. But thats OK. If it prevents you from procreating and spreading more of your seed upon the earth - all the better.

W3WN
10-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Well, there goes the fucking thread again. Just when it was successfully hijacked.What, you expected any less from Burt? If anything, that was pretty mild from him.

OK Burt. Your opinion has been duly noted and given all of the attention and critical thinking that it deserves. Thank you for stopping by, and thank you for playing. Don't forget to pick up the home edition on your way out the door.

KJ3N
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
OK Burt. Your opinion has been duly noted and given all of the attention and critical thinking that it deserves.

That would be, NONE. http://m9.i.pbase.com/o6/61/114161/1/86440219.RjTzeCqh.2wanker.gif

:roll:

W3WN
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
That would be, NONE. http://m9.i.pbase.com/o6/61/114161/1/86440219.RjTzeCqh.2wanker.gif

:roll:Shhhhh!

N8YX
10-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Lulzy thread is lulzy.

k1oik
10-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Well, there goes the fucking thread again. Just when it was successfully hijacked.

I do not think a thread can have sex

k1oik
10-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Burt, you have no idea what you're talking about. That is because you are a fucking bitter, divorced, angry, self-centered, I get my confidence from Youtube hit counter tallies, self loathing, hate the world because they dont love me piece of crap.

Simple as that.

Please do not use a word no sober woman would do with you.
I am anything but bitter, not at all angry, maybe some self centered (but I pale in compasion to most hams). My confidence comes from knowing in the rotten barrel of ham radio I am one of the decent caring apples.
Don't believe me?
http://youtu.be/tIMsfFc0G0w

N2CHX
10-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Obviously you've never heard of Rule 34.

N2CHX
10-18-2012, 02:48 PM
I am anything but bitter, not at all angry, maybe some self centered (but I pale in compasion to most hams). My confidence comes from knowing in the rotten barrel of ham radio I am one of the decent caring apples.
Don't believe me?
http://youtu.be/tIMsfFc0G0w

If ham radio sucks so bad, why are you here? Just to whine and bitch like a titty baby? Sell your radios and find a new hobby already.

k1oik
10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
If ham radio sucks so bad, why are you here? Just to whine and bitch like a titty baby? Sell your radios and find a new hobby already.

Ham radio is not the problem, gutless hams are, that hide behind their keyboard. Certainly there were hams at the NearFEST ham fest that despised me but none said much. One ham I recognized from CT, I said to him, you despise me, you say all kinds of profanities about me on AM. He said nothing to me when I was there in person. If you look at the comments on the Island of Unfit hams, I am hardly the top bitcher and whiner

NN3W
10-18-2012, 03:09 PM

Which one would that be? Youtube?

W3WN
10-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Ham radio is not the problem, gutless hams are, that hide behind their keyboard. Certainly there were hams at the NearFEST ham fest that despised me but none said much. One ham I recognized from CT, I said to him, you despise me, you say all kinds of profanities about me on AM. He said nothing to me when I was there in person. If you look at the comments on the Island of Unfit hams, I am hardly the top bitcher and whiner

Judges?

* buzzer *

I'm sorry. Your answers must be in the form of a question! Thank you for playing. Johnny, please tell the home audience what Burt will be receiving as a parting gift as he exits the thread.

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Judges?

* buzzer *

I'm sorry. Your answers must be in the form of a question! Thank you for playing. Johnny, please tell the home audience what Burt will be receiving as a parting gift as he exits the thread.

... Now that's funny!!:rofl:
:clap:

N7YA
10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Sport fisherman usually toss the fish back.

Simple as that.

You've been going on now for nearly 20 years .... on and on .... about this contesters are liars and idiots and pigs bullshit. On and on. But thats OK. If it prevents you from procreating and spreading more of your seed upon the earth - all the better.

Burts been like this for 20 years??

Oh, well i see no reason to take heed to a single thing he says anyway, now it just cements it for me.

I will be on the air for CQWW, as i hope many of you will be. I will not trounce on an existing qso (not that i could anyway), and i will have fun....really, thats the reason we do this.

As for my health and fitness, i am active, i eat right and have a basically good attitude. So, that about covers it...the thread hijack may continue with or without the bitter one-lander. Im done with him anyway, one trick pony. :)

k1oik
10-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Oh, well i see no reason to take heed to a single thing he says anyway, now it just cements it for me.

I will be on the air for CQWW, as i hope many of you will be. I will not trounce on an existing qso (not that i could anyway), and i will have fun....really, thats the reason we do this.

As for my health and fitness, i am active, i eat right and have a basically good attitude. So, that about covers it...the thread hijack may continue with or without the bitter one-lander. Im done with him anyway, one trick pony. :)
I hijacked the thread? I talked about contesting, the subject of the thread. What about message #81 and its daughters?
One trick pony? I play softball, hike, volleyball, bike, teach English to a Vietnamese. I do go on ham radio when I am totally bored in the winter when I cannot watch the grass grow. No CQWW for me, I have a life.

WX7P
10-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Junior, you suck.

Attention whores are boring.

N7YA
10-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I hijacked the thread? I talked about contesting, the subject of the thread. What about message #81 and its daughters?
One trick pony? I play softball, hike, volleyball, bike, teach English to a Vietnamese. I do go on ham radio when I am totally bored in the winter when I cannot watch the grass grow. No CQWW for me, I have a life.

Not you, knucklehead! WE hijacked YOUR thread...as we shall continue to do because you never say anything different.

You poop out garbage, we make it into something fun that people would want to visit. Thats how you will be treated from now on since i found out you have been trolling internet forums for 20 years...thats really sad, OM.

Anyway! For the rest of my fellow hijackers (and Burt, if you are interested)....i have just discovered the joy of mixing vanilla and pumpkin pie frozen yogurt together! :agree: Give it a go, you will be surprised.

Oh hell yes!

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Is D.B. Cooper an Islander?7652

N7YA
10-18-2012, 04:54 PM
He is hiding in the Dominican Republic...his call is HI6ACK....allegedly.

N2CHX
10-18-2012, 04:58 PM

CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST
THIS IS NOVEMBER TWO KILO KILO MEXICO.
NOVEMBER TWO KILO KILO MEXICO.
CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST.

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
He is hiding in the Dominican Republic...his call is HI6ACK....allegedly.

COOL! Ill watch for that call on the cluster...:hijack:

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 05:06 PM
CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST
CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST.

November two kilo kilo mexico, your five nine ohio, zero zero one, QSL?:giggity:

N7YA
10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Ill cover the CW portion....

T E S T N7YA N7YA T E S T

N2CHX
10-18-2012, 05:15 PM
November two kilo kilo mexico, your five nine ohio, zero zero one, QSL?:giggity:

Ohio station, you're 5-9 in New York. You're my contact in a contest. Go ahead.

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Ohio station, you're 5-9 in New York. You're my contact in a contest. Go ahead.

Thank you for 5-9 New York, call is whiskey eight x-ray lima radio, your 5-9 also, good luck in the contest, seven three!

N2CHX
10-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you for 5-9 New York, call is whiskey eight x-ray lima radio, good luck in the contest, seven three!

Whiskey Eight Xray Lima Radio, thanks for the contact, my name is Kelli and I'm working on my Worked All Pigs Award. 73 and have a great day!

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Whiskey Eight Xray Lima Radio, thanks for the contact, my name is Kelli and I'm working on my Worked All Pigs Award. 73 and have a great day!

QSL on WAP, name here is Phil, have fun!!:rock:

N7YA
10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
HEEEEEEEELLO......(long whistle).....HEEEEEEEEELLO.....

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
HEEEEEEEELLO......(long whistle).....HEEEEEEEEELLO.....

HEY, The frequency's in use!

N8YX
10-18-2012, 05:30 PM
RYRYRYRYRY etc...

N7YA
10-18-2012, 05:35 PM
HEY, The frequency's in use!

HECTOR YO! Los peces están aquí en el COVE, RUN QUE OTRO BARCO en el arrecife y soltar sus REDES AQUÍ. Al diablo con eso PERRA pendejo!

(constant RTTY)

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOLA .......(long whistle).....HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLA....(echo chamber)

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
HECTOR YO! Los peces están aquí en el COVE, RUN QUE OTRO BARCO en el arrecife y soltar sus REDES AQUÍ. Al diablo con eso PERRA pendejo!

(constant RTTY)

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOLA .......(long whistle).....HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLA....(echo chamber)

Well, there goes the band... Dam no-code CB'rs!

N7YA
10-18-2012, 05:42 PM
:lol:

Just another night on 40m with the fishermen of the Gulf.

N8YX
10-18-2012, 06:16 PM
No excuses...

Dr. Detroit
10-18-2012, 06:26 PM
CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST
CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST.

Glad I started this thread. It was worth it just to see this and the replies. Laughing my fuckin ass off here.

Dr. Detroit

N7YA
10-18-2012, 06:29 PM
You DID start the thread...we just have a nasty habit of hijacking them. It got so carried away that it almost seemed like Burt started it, but credit where its due.

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Glad I started this thread. It was worth it just to see this and the replies. Laughing my fuckin ass off here.

Dr. Detroit

Well played, OM... Well played:peace:

W3WN
10-18-2012, 06:42 PM
One trick pony? I play softball, hike, volleyball, bike, teach English to a Vietnamese. I do go on ham radio when I am totally bored in the winter when I cannot watch the grass grow. No CQWW for me, I have a life.No Burt, you didn't. You complained about specific comments directed at you.

Here's your chance, teacher. Instruct us. Can you actually tell us, without wisecracks, insults, sneers, smears, or put downs, what it is you don't like about contesting? Can you cite specific examples?

Because, to put it bluntly, if you can't -- or won't -- then you are indeed nothing more than the internet troll that most hams seem to think you are.

Prove yourself.

And if you can't -- or won't -- well, I am neither a moderator nor staff, so I can't enforce this, but:

An inability or refusal to do so will demonstrate that your primary purpose here is simply to torque people off. And if that is the case, I will urge the staff to strongly consider giving you a permanent invitation to go ashore and stay ashore.

W3WN
10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Whiskey Eight Xray Lima Radio, thanks for the contact, my name is Kelli and I'm working on my Worked All Pigs Award. 73 and have a great day!You are? Darn. Can't work you then; I'm kosher.

W3WN
10-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Dr. DetroitWe do like to have some fun with these, don't we?

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Hey Kelli, This dude is on 313 right now looking for contacts... His call is WE8PIG !7654

N7YA
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
WE8PIG....and look what happened!

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 07:09 PM
WE8PIG....and look what happened!

Ya! A REAL HAM operator!

N8YX
10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Looks like the pig in the Silverchair video "Tomorrow ".

k1oik
10-18-2012, 08:01 PM
No Burt, you didn't. You complained about specific comments directed at you.

Here's your chance, teacher. Instruct us. Can you actually tell us, without wisecracks, insults, sneers, smears, or put downs, what it is you don't like about contesting? Can you cite specific examples?

Because, to put it bluntly, if you can't -- or won't -- then you are indeed nothing more than the internet troll that most hams seem to think you are.

Prove yourself.

And if you can't -- or won't -- well, I am neither a moderator nor staff, so I can't enforce this, but:

An inability or refusal to do so will demonstrate that your primary purpose here is simply to torque people off. And if that is the case, I will urge the staff to strongly consider giving you a permanent invitation to go ashore and stay ashore.

The truth about contesting
Contest Liars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BRFwOowSo
Simply put besides lying contesters are pigs, not all, but many. They trample over each other and non contesters and leave little room for others to explore the hobby.
Please feel free to implore the staff to do whatever you feel necessary. Hams are intolerant of the views that do not kiss their respective asses. Even the Island of Unfit hams, censors. Although the word "fuck" seems all too common here, mainly it is the only way some users practice what they can no longer do. If I am banned I do not know how life can go on but I notice when I do not post days can go before anyone posts.7655

KC2UGV
10-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Contest Liars
Simply put besides lying contesters are pigs, not all, but many. They trample over each other and non contesters and leave little room for others to explore the hobby.
Please feel free to implore the staff to do whatever you feel necessary. Hams are intolerant of the views that do not kiss their respective asses. Even the Island of Unfit hams, censors. Although the word "fuck" seems all too common here, mainly it is the only way some users practice what they can no longer do. If I am banned I do not know how life can go on but I notice when I do not post days can go before anyone posts.7655

Contests usually occupy a 24 hour period, once a month. There are at least 28 days in every month that has no contest going on at all. How do they leave no room for others?

k1oik
10-18-2012, 08:06 PM
CQ NO LIFE CONTEST CQ NO LIFE CONTEST
THIS IS W1YCCC

k1oik
10-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Contests usually occupy a 24 hour period, once a month. There are at least 28 days in every month that has no contest going on at all. How do they leave no room for others?

Surprise Surprise many hams work during the week, leaving 8-10 days and virtually all weekends have some sort of contest, leaving Christmas.

W3WN
10-18-2012, 08:08 PM
OK. Can't say we didn't try.

Judges?

* buzz *

I'm sorry, your answer must be in the form of a question. Thank you for playing...

KG4NEL
10-18-2012, 08:09 PM
http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1349100633536301.jpg

KC2UGV
10-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Surprise Surprise many hams work during the week, leaving 8-10 days and virtually all weekends have some sort of contest, leaving Christmas.

Well, I suppose people need to prioritize. There's 1 day per weekend not used by contesters, so that leave 4-5 weekend days per month for non-contesters. Still not seeing how this leaves "No room".

And, have you perchance forgotten about these little things called WARC Bands? You may not have heard of them, but rumor has it there are ENTIRE bands where there's never a contest.

kf0rt
10-18-2012, 08:14 PM

W3WN
10-18-2012, 08:21 PM
7656Appropriate. Is that from a real accident, or was it photoshoped?

kf0rt
10-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Appropriate. Is that from a real accident, or was it photoshoped?

Dunno, Ron. Stole it off the web. :lol:

N8YX
10-18-2012, 08:36 PM

<snip>

They trample over each other and non contesters and leave little room for others to explore the hobby.

<snip>

Absolutely untrue. Let's take for example the CQWW 'phone sweepstakes:

The entire CW/digital sub-band of each qualifying HF band is free of contest activity;
All of the WARC bands are free of contest activity;
The 60M band is free of contest activity;
Every VHF/UHF band from 6M up is free of contest activity.

You can't find someone to converse with in one of those areas?

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Burt OM, Your flight back to to the Mainland is waiting, and in final boarding call at gate 1... Please observe the no smoking sign, place your tray table in the full upright position, turn off all your electronic devises (like your amateur radio) and fasten your seat belt...

We hope you've enjoyed your stay at The Island... The in flight movie will be "Frequency", starring Randy Quaid. Have a nice flight, and thank you for your visit..,

W3WN
10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Dunno, Ron. Stole it off the web. :lol:Hmmm. I guess what's misleading is that it appears, on closer examination, that the wreck was actually on the track ABOVE that was crossing over the rails you see. Without realizing that, it looks like someone put together a "pile" of cars.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Which somehow is quite appropriate for this thread.

W3WN
10-18-2012, 09:29 PM
< snip >The in flight movie will be "Frequency", starring Randy Quaid. Have a nice flight, and thank you for your visit..,I thought Frequency starred Dennis Quaid?

I'm all for suspension of disbelief for a movie to work, but an SB-301 as a transmitter? Couldn't the prop people buy an SB-10x and do it right?

And they always had a clear frequency to operate on! Not a contester in sight, so to speak.

Dr. Detroit
10-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Gosh, it looks like he found a window seat.

k1oik
10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Well, I suppose people need to prioritize. There's 1 day per weekend not used by contesters, so that leave 4-5 weekend days per month for non-contesters. Still not seeing how this leaves "No room".

And, have you perchance forgotten about these little things called WARC Bands? You may not have heard of them, but rumor has it there are ENTIRE bands where there's never a contest.

On Cape Cod there are many beautiful large beaches sort of like 40,15 and 20 meters but the town of Sandwich has few small rocky beaches, like the WARC bands. So you are willing to give the dregs and keep the decent bands for contests. How generous.
Usually both weekend days have some type of useless contest like QSO parties. Real men and woman have parties with drink and REAL social interaction. Imagine if real parties consisted of hello, your name, where do you live and off to the next guest.
I would be OK with contests if they only too 75% of a band segment.

k1oik
10-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Absolutely untrue. Let's take for example the CQWW 'phone sweepstakes:

The entire CW/digital sub-band of each qualifying HF band is free of contest activity;
All of the WARC bands are free of contest activity;
The 60M band is free of contest activity;
Every VHF/UHF band from 6M up is free of contest activity.

You can't find someone to converse with in one of those areas?

This may come as a shock to you but some hams today do not know code. If the WARC bands are so good put the contests on them and left the rest to somewhat useful communication

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I thought Frequency starred Dennis Quaid?

I'm all for suspension of disbelief for a movie to work, but an SB-301 as a transmitter? Couldn't the prop people buy an SB-10x and do it right?

And they always had a clear frequency to operate on! Not a contester in sight, so to speak.

It may have been Dennis, IDK... their twins. Still one of my all time favorite flicks. There was a thread "over yonder" about this a couple months back - apparently it was all about proper lighting effects and insurance issues... One of the posters was actually on the set and said the rig was not infact destroyed - the floor was rubber, and the rig still exists in a collection... That was my concern as a proud owner/operator of the SB-301/401.

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Hmmm. I guess what's misleading is that it appears, on closer examination, that the wreck was actually on the track ABOVE that was crossing over the rails you see. Without realizing that, it looks like someone put together a "pile" of cars.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Which somehow is quite appropriate for this thread.

Look here, anything in "railroadania": http://www.railpictures.net/

XE1/N5AL
10-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I thought Frequency starred Dennis Quaid?

If Randy Quaid had starred in Frequency, that SB-301 would have been tuned in on the 20-meter nut frequency and "dad" would have had a Canadian callsign.

W8XLR
10-18-2012, 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trIMt9mZIdU

KJ3N
10-18-2012, 10:43 PM

I guess you didn't spend much time on Usenet? He's famous (or infamous, if you will) for this same tired BS long before he showed up on forums.

You're better off adding him to your ignore list. It's tired, worn out drivel. Always has been.

KJ3N
10-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Contests usually occupy a 24 hour period, once a month. There are at least 28 days in every month that has no contest going on at all.

Two things, Corey.

1) The major butt-hurt causing contests are 48 hours long. CQWW SSB and CQWW CW are like this. So are a number of the ARRL contests.

2) How many days a month are free of contests changes, depending on the month. Not much going on during the summer, but as winter approaches, things get busy.

Now, having said that, there's not one thing you can say that will penetrate the Burt rhetoric. Something about pigs and singing comes to mind.

N8YX
10-19-2012, 03:31 AM
This may come as a shock to you but some hams today do not know code.
This may come as a shock to you but failure to learn is a self-induced condition. Well, maybe not: The prospective hams might be saddled with a piss-poor Elmer. Which, of course, is not the contesters' problem.

If the WARC bands are so good put the contests on them and left the rest to somewhat useful communication
Simple - the number of pro-contest hams far outweighs the number of anti-contest hams. You might try petitioning the various contest sanctioning organizations with the proposal to move the bulk of contesting to the WARC bands. Be sure to let us know how that works out for you.

And as far as finding a clear spot on the bands during a contest is concerned: I have never failed to do so...even if I wasn't participating. But I do have a signal along with good receivers.

N7YA
10-19-2012, 03:52 AM
I guess you didn't spend much time on Usenet? He's famous (or infamous, if you will) for this same tired BS long before he showed up on forums.

You're better off adding him to your ignore list. It's tired, worn out drivel. Always has been.

Yeah, after seeing his latest volley of negativity, he has nothing new to offer aside from desperation for attention. No, ive never been on Usenet...maybe i would have ignored him long ago. He didnt turn out to be much of anything beyond one of the "bad hams" who wear tinfoil hats or stand on the front porch screaming at passing cars...he is imbalanced and i simply dont care anymore.

Anyway...contests will stay long after he kicks the bucket and his cats eat his face off.

k1oik
10-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Yeah, after seeing his latest volley of negativity, he has nothing new to offer aside from desperation for attention. No, ive never been on Usenet...maybe i would have ignored him long ago. He didnt turn out to be much of anything beyond one of the "bad hams" who wear tinfoil hats or stand on the front porch screaming at passing cars...he is imbalanced and i simply dont care anymore.

Anyway...contests will stay long after he kicks the bucket and his cats eat his face off.

If I am the one desperate for attention why do you have 9000 posts and me 175?

k1oik
10-19-2012, 05:09 AM

It's just me?
Others say:
Laughing at some of your comments, Contesters, got to agree there I hate hearing that all over the airwaves, I got my license so I could chat long distance through out the night in my taxi, I thought ham radio was a gentleman's hobby, its not, there is more bitchiness on ham radio than in a bingo club, hardly any conversation as well and as for the signal report you are right again most give a 5/9, I love cb radio and use it more again, more chat and friendliness,
darynsax (https://forums.hamisland.net/user/darynsax) 3 weeks ago (http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=L4zv8Ky6HZw5KD2Mqv2MZeGF-P9mhjVa5uCwyseFv9s)

N7YA
10-19-2012, 05:34 AM
I have 9000 posts because i have friends...you have 175 and nothing but enemies...do the math. :lol:

NN3W
10-19-2012, 05:50 AM
If I am the one desperate for attention why do you have 9000 posts and me 175?

This coming from the guy who gets confidence based on Youtube views....

k1oik
10-19-2012, 06:20 AM
I have 9000 posts because i have friends...you have 175 and nothing but enemies...do the math. :lol:

Enemies?
well done burt,i like guys like u,straight to the point,keep up the good work bert,least u have the balls to say wat everyone else just thinks,again well done mate,keep the videos comming mate
kev-MM0KSS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never tell anyone that I am a radio amateur operator. It's not a big deal any longer. I have found that the aggregate IQ of the ham has dropped to about 10 points below plant life since they eliminated the 20 wpm code requirement. BTW (By The Way) You could have forgone the code in the background. I listened to the QSO more than I listened to you complain. On second thought, the code should stay.
JoseJalapenoo (https://forums.hamisland.net/user/JoseJalapenoo)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Burt,
you hit the nail on the head. discontinuing the code requirement was the death blow to our hobby. it was the only thing that kept the rif raf out. we have a bunch of new new hams but they're all CB'ers...80% of the guys are appliance operators..plug and play...makes me want to puke
shemp1957 (https://forums.hamisland.net/user/shemp1957)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great video 73's de Mohammed A61RJ
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N8YX
10-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Just a thought:

If I was an educator, I wouldn't be dredging up comments which consist of "bottom of the barrel" grammar to prove my points...nor would I be quoting sock puppet/CB 'handle' commentary as if it came from real individuals.

Ten-Four?

N2CHX
10-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Contest Liars
Please feel free to implore the staff to do whatever you feel necessary. Hams are intolerant of the views that do not kiss their respective asses. Even the Island of Unfit hams, censors. Although the word "fuck" seems all too common here, mainly it is the only way some users practice what they can no longer do. If I am banned I do not know how life can go on but I notice when I do not post days can go before anyone posts.

What was that Burt?

CQ NARCISSISTS
CALLING CQ CQ CQ NARCISSISTS
THIS IS KILO ONE OBSESSIVE INFLATED KNOB CALLING CQ CQ NARCISSISTS

Dude, the frequency's in use.

N7YA
10-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Enemies?
well done burt,i like guys like u,straight to the point,keep up the good work bert,least u have the balls to say wat everyone else just thinks,again well done mate,keep the videos comming mate
kev-MM0KSS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never tell anyone that I am a radio amateur operator. It's not a big deal any longer. I have found that the aggregate IQ of the ham has dropped to about 10 points below plant life since they eliminated the 20 wpm code requirement. BTW (By The Way) You could have forgone the code in the background. I listened to the QSO more than I listened to you complain. On second thought, the code should stay.
JoseJalapenoo (https://forums.hamisland.net/user/JoseJalapenoo)
Burt,
you hit the nail on the head. discontinuing the code requirement was the death blow to our hobby. it was the only thing that kept the rif raf out. we have a bunch of new new hams but they're all CB'ers...80% of the guys are appliance operators..plug and play...makes me want to puke
shemp1957 (https://forums.hamisland.net/user/shemp1957)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great video 73's de Mohammed A61RJ

>sigh<

He's hopeless. None of this makes any sense....lets talk about ice cream and not share any with Burt, hes insane.

N2CHX
10-19-2012, 06:50 AM
>sigh<

He's hopeless. None of this makes any sense....lets talk about ice cream and not share any with Burt, hes insane.

Do we have any soft chocolate and chocolate sprinkles?

KC2UGV
10-19-2012, 06:58 AM
On Cape Cod there are many beautiful large beaches sort of like 40,15 and 20 meters but the town of Sandwich has few small rocky beaches, like the WARC bands. So you are willing to give the dregs and keep the decent bands for contests. How generous.
Usually both weekend days have some type of useless contest like QSO parties. Real men and woman have parties with drink and REAL social interaction. Imagine if real parties consisted of hello, your name, where do you live and off to the next guest.
I would be OK with contests if they only too 75% of a band segment.

Oh, I get it! You don't have a radio that can xmit on the WARC bands!

If you consider the WARC bands to be "the dregs", then you sir, have never used any of them. 30 meters is a fantastic band! 60M is pretty interesting as well, given the new rules. 12 and 17 are both interesting in their own rights.

You are too funny, or too sad. Not sure which.

KB3LAZ
10-19-2012, 07:18 AM
It may have been Dennis, IDK... their twins. Still one of my all time favorite flicks. There was a thread "over yonder" about this a couple months back - apparently it was all about proper lighting effects and insurance issues... One of the posters was actually on the set and said the rig was not infact destroyed - the floor was rubber, and the rig still exists in a collection... That was my concern as a proud owner/operator of the SB-301/401.

It was Dennis and they are not twins.

W3WN
10-19-2012, 07:19 AM
>sigh<

He's hopeless. None of this makes any sense....lets talk about ice cream and not share any with Burt, hes insane.Actually, it does. In a twisted way.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss why selected hams strongly dislike contests. With some tangents.

Mr. Negativity is trying to twist it into another thread about himself. With the usual, tired, overdone snarky comments and veiled (ok, sometimes not so veiled) insults.

He was given an opportunity to present his case. His response was a link to a youtube video and some snarky comments. Therefore, he is either incapable of a reasonable, rational response & discussion, including factual basis, examples, and fair rebuttal -- or refuses to provide some.

The game is over. Judges have already ruled that he has disqualified himself, Johnny has announced to the home audience what his parting gifts are, the Pan Am Clipper has a seat with his name on it.

Pay no more attention to the troll trying to hide behind the curtain.

W3WN
10-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Do we have any soft chocolate and chocolate sprinkles?I can get some. Hope you don't mind the no-sugar-added chocolate ice cream. (I miss Klondike bars, as I'm not a big vanilla enthusiast)

N7YA
10-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Do we have any soft chocolate and chocolate sprinkles?

But of course. :)

N7YA
10-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Oh, I get it! You don't have a radio that can xmit on the WARC bands!

If you consider the WARC bands to be "the dregs", then you sir, have never used any of them. 30 meters is a fantastic band! 60M is pretty interesting as well, given the new rules. 12 and 17 are both interesting in their own rights.

Irrelevant is more like it.

I absolutely love 30 and 17...i'm on them as much as i am on 15 and 40. Great bands. Oddly enough, i rarely go on 20.

N7YA
10-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Actually, it does. In a twisted way.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss why selected hams strongly dislike contests. With some tangents.

Mr. Negativity is trying to twist it into another thread about himself. With the usual, tired, overdone snarky comments and veiled (ok, sometimes not so veiled) insults.

He was given an opportunity to present his case. His response was a link to a youtube video and some snarky comments. Therefore, he is either incapable of a reasonable, rational response & discussion, including factual basis, examples, and fair rebuttal -- or refuses to provide some.

The game is over. Judges have already ruled that he has disqualified himself, Johnny has announced to the home audience what his parting gifts are, the Pan Am Clipper has a seat with his name on it.

Yeah...im kinda over it.

N2CHX
10-19-2012, 07:27 AM
I can get some. Hope you don't mind the no-sugar-added chocolate ice cream. (I miss Klondike bars, as I'm not a big vanilla enthusiast)

But of course. :)

Thank you. I'm cool with the sugar-free too. My mom used to laugh at me when we would go to this one place north of Niagara Falls for a treat that had a gazillion flavors of ice cream, because I would always order chocolate.

N7YA
10-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Sugar free for you...im sure the competition will be light. :yes: Im actually cool with the frozen yogurt, just like ice cream, but a fraction of the stuff you dont want.

N2CHX
10-19-2012, 07:33 AM
This is the place BTW... If you ever visit Niagara Falls, drive a few miles north and go to Hibbards. Best. Ice Cream. Ever.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/eyewitness-news/Dish-Bipperts-Ice-Cream-155633165.html
https://www.facebook.com/HibbardsCustard
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-12-01/entertainment/sfl-hibbards-ice-cream-20111201_1_ice-cream-yogurt-shops-family-shop

KC2UGV
10-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Thank you. I'm cool with the sugar-free too. My mom used to laugh at me when we would go to this one place north of Niagara Falls for a treat that had a gazillion flavors of ice cream, because I would always order chocolate.

Dede's?

KJ3N
10-19-2012, 07:57 AM

Oh, I'm sure.

W3WN
10-19-2012, 08:28 AM

I absolutely love 30 and 17...i'm on them as much as i am on 15 and 40. Great bands. Oddly enough, i rarely go on 20.You know, it's funny. I'll hear stuff on 12 coming through like gangbusters, when it appears that neither 10 nor 15 are open. 17 has been pretty good as well. And this on a Butternut HF6V, which theoretically is not set for either band (transmatches are wonderful things).

I like 30 a lot as well, although there are many evenings when it's open, but few are on.

I spend very little time on 15 or 20 these days, outside of contests. When 20 is open, well, it can be a zoo; way too crowded. 15 usually isn't open, or open for long, after I come home from work (and walk the dog, check the mail, prep dinner, talk to the wife, remind the teenager to do her homework... you know, the usual stuff that gets taken care of before taking time to play radio).

W3WN
10-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Thank you. I'm cool with the sugar-free too. My mom used to laugh at me when we would go to this one place north of Niagara Falls for a treat that had a gazillion flavors of ice cream, because I would always order chocolate.That's probably been the hardest thing about discovering I had diabetes.

There are sugar-free chocolates out there, but you have to watch... some of the artificial sweetners have their own side effects, especially a couple that if you consume too much in a short time... in about 2 hours, it can have a very negative result (I won't get graphic, suffice to say, keep the TP stocked up).

So I'm OK at home.

It's when we go out... I will probably never have "Death By Chocolate" cake again, for one. Very few places have alternatives for those of us with dietary issues, and the alternatives are usually bland... and few. But things are getting better.

kb2vxa
10-19-2012, 08:47 AM
"...drive a few miles north and go to Hibbards."

That sounds typical, a few miles outside a tourist trap you don't pay tourist trap prices... or Unfriendly's either. As usual I checked the map for relative position and spotted something of interest in Niagara Falls, Ontario that wasn't there last time I visited, the Falls Incline Railway. I know it has nothing to do with ice cream but what the heck, surely it interests our rail fans. Typically funicular one car goes up while another goes down as they're cable cars one balancing the other. There are others around the country, cable cars aren't exclusive to San Francisco. As a limited time offer I have the original size and resolution photo, send me a PM and we can make arrangements.

W3WN
10-19-2012, 08:55 AM
"...drive a few miles north and go to Hibbards."

That sounds typical, a few miles outside a tourist trap you don't pay tourist trap prices... or Unfriendly's either. As usual I checked the map for relative position and spotted something of interest in Niagara Falls, Ontario that wasn't there last time I visited, the Falls Incline Railway. I know it has nothing to do with ice cream but what the heck, surely it interests our rail fans. Typically funicular one car goes up while another goes down as they're cable cars one balancing the other. There are others around the country, cable cars aren't exclusive to San Francisco. As a limited time offer I have the original size and resolution photo, send me a PM and we can make arrangements.
Oh. Inclines.
I've been using this photo on my 'winter' QSL card. There's a stock picture of the Mon incline on Wikipedia, pretty much the same shot, but it's a summer shot; I liked the contrast implied here -- looks familiar, yet it's not.

There are two working inclines in the City right now, both across the river from downtown on Mt. Washington. The one by Station Square is more for the tourists; the other, a mile or three up the road, is still a working commuter funicular -- it feeds to & from a bus stop that leads straight into downtown

NQ6U
10-19-2012, 09:05 AM
I've made some really great QSOs on 17 and 30. In fact 30m is my favorite band for working PSK31.

NQ6U
10-19-2012, 09:10 AM
cable cars aren't exclusive to San Francisco

That's kind of a weak comparison since the type of cable car that operates in San Francisco in not a funicular and is now exclusive to that city. In fact, there is no funicular railway at all in San Francisco, although there is one in Los Angeles:

http://www.theotherdisneys.com/angelsflight5.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Angels_Flight_East.jpg

Very cool, and largely unknown outside of the city or among rail fans.

W8XLR
10-19-2012, 09:27 AM
It was Dennis and they are not twins.

Yep, your right... They dont even look that much alike... my bad :doh:

I got my Quaids strait now... Randy was the dopey cousin in the Vacation movies... Emptying the chemical toilet into the storm drain..."shitter's full!"

I need to get out more...:roll:

W3WN
10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Yep, your right... They dont even look that much alike... my bad :doh:

I got my Quaids strait now... Randy was the dopey cousin in the Vacation movies... Emptying the chemical toilet into the storm drain..."shitter's full!"

I need to get out more...:roll:Now you've got it.

Although considering that Randy Quaid & his wife are now hiding in Canada, and the circumstances behind that... I wonder sometimes if he was acting, or being himself?

K7SGJ
10-19-2012, 02:01 PM

I absolutely love 30 and 17...i'm on them as much as i am on 15 and 40. Great bands. Oddly enough, i rarely go on 20.

I know you're shuckin and pluckin at night, but when are you usually on the radio? I'd like to try to hook up. I'm limited to the vertical right now because I snagged the vee with the tractor and it is FUBAR. I am going to put up a dipole for 80/40, and I have a beam for 10/15/20 I need to rebuild and get in the air. I am also going to do something for the top band as well since I have plenty of area for it all. But the hop from here to you should be a pieceocake.

W3WN
10-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I just want to work both of you guys on 160!

w8nsi
10-19-2012, 02:34 PM
First of all, I'm no fan of contests. I don't think I've ever participated in one, and I'm bored by the concept. When there's a contest on, I tend to follow the advice that Riley Hollingsworth gave one year in Dayton: "Just go wash the car or cut the grass."

Nevertheless, I am fascinated by some hams' outright hatred of contests, and yes, even the contesters themselves.

What's behind the hatred of contests? Here's what I've been able to come up with (please add to the list):

1. The contest hater feels that they know best what types of discourse or interactions should take place on amateur radio. They believe that there is a model for the ideal QSO, and that they have special insight into this model's definition. They hate contests because these events deviate so far from their perceived ideal.

2. The contest hater is an emotionalist who assigns value to human communication (ham radio-related or not) in direct proportion to how "meaningful" it seems to them. In general, the longer a contest hater is permitted to speak, the more "meaningful" they will find the exchange.

3. The contest hater values a communication partner in direct proportion to how long that partner is willing to listen.

4. The contest hater feels that he deserves to be entertained by the communications he intercepts on amateur radio. He actively resents communication that lacks content that he finds interesting.

5. The contest hater is typically lonely or isolated, and therefore is intensely alienated by a communication exercise that is purposely designed to limit human interaction to the briefest exchange.

Dr. Detroit

While I am no contest fan, I am not limited to ham radio as my only hobby. There are also many things around here that having been put off for one reason or another could be completed... contest hater... nope too strong a word at least as applied to me. What I do hate about contests are the ops that move in 1 1/2 khz off your frequency and pretend that you are not there while calling cq contest. I guess this is what audio compression and kilowatt amps are made for. :)

W3WN
10-19-2012, 03:19 PM
While I am no contest fan, I am not limited to ham radio as my only hobby. There are also many things around here that having been put off for one reason or another could be completed... contest hater... nope too strong a word at least as applied to me. What I do hate about contests are the ops that move in 1 1/2 khz off your frequency and pretend that you are not there while calling cq contest. I guess this is what audio compression and kilowatt amps are made for. :)The small group of Type-A contesters who do this and similar stunts are annoying (to say the least) to the rest of the contesters out there as well.

These induhviduals do the same thing in breaking DX pileups, and other components of Amateur Radio. It's that mentatility of "win at all costs", "if it's not prohibited it's allowed", and/or "if I don't get caught, I didn't break any rules."

The real issue is not the contests per se... it's specific rude people, who happen at the time to be operating in contests.

NQ6U
10-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I think we should take the good Doctor's six points and put them on a sticky thread.

I also think we should each buy him a virtual beer or other adult beverage of his choice. I will start up my new tab to buy his first round. Drink up, Dr. Detroit--it's on me.

k1oik
10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
What was that Burt?

CQ NARCISSISTS
CALLING CQ CQ CQ NARCISSISTS
THIS IS KILO ONE OBSESSIVE INFLATED KNOB CALLING CQ CQ NARCISSISTS

Dude, the frequency's in use.

My name is not dude, go have another doughnut since you have no image of you, you care to post

k1oik
10-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Why is it hams tell other hams not to pay any attention, yet there go again posting about me

N2CHX
10-19-2012, 04:29 PM
I think we should take the good Doctor's six points and put them on a sticky thread.

I also think we should each buy him a virtual beer or other adult beverage of his choice. I will start up my new tab to buy his first round. Drink up, Dr. Detroit--it's on me.

I'll bring the green. And some ice cream.

N2CHX
10-19-2012, 04:32 PM

If only I had a place to set up my BTA-250L.

N7YA
10-19-2012, 04:42 PM
My name is not dude, go have another doughnut since you have no image of you, you care to post

K7SGJ
10-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Anyone planting a fall garden this year?

N7YA
10-19-2012, 04:46 PM
I know you're shuckin and pluckin at night, but when are you usually on the radio? I'd like to try to hook up. I'm limited to the vertical right now because I snagged the vee with the tractor and it is FUBAR. I am going to put up a dipole for 80/40, and I have a beam for 10/15/20 I need to rebuild and get in the air. I am also going to do something for the top band as well since I have plenty of area for it all. But the hop from here to you should be a pieceocake.

Im mostly on at night, or in the late afternoon Pacific time...or really early mornings to catch those long paths. Its quietest when the higher frequencies start waking up, i get some of my best DX then. Sucks about your antenna, i guess they dont mix well with tractors....now that that theory has been proven, i dont need to try it.

N7YA
10-19-2012, 04:47 PM

One of these days, Ron! I would be stoked to reach that far on 160.

KC2UGV
10-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Dude, that is a picture of her lol

N7YA
10-19-2012, 04:58 PM
He's done, Corey.

W8XLR
10-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Snakebites anyone?

W8XLR
10-19-2012, 05:20 PM
One of these days, Ron! I would be stoked to reach that far on 160.

Ive got a full wave 160 meter loop up, but my amp that covers that band needs re-built... Maybe I should get on that ?

N2CHX
10-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Why is it hams tell other hams not to pay any attention, yet there go again posting about me

You know what's really funny about all this? He's getting his jollies off this thread but if he only knew some of the really funny shit people have been posting about him on another site... :rofl:

k1oik
10-19-2012, 07:41 PM
You know what's really funny about all this? He's getting his jollies off this thread but if he only knew some of the really funny shit people have been posting about him on another site... :rofl:

1. Typical of gutless hams to hide their comments from the one they are dissing
2. To be thought an ass by an ass is a compliment.

k1oik
10-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Dude, that is a picture of her lol

Right, 200 pounds ago

W3WN
10-19-2012, 07:50 PM
If only I had a place to set up my BTA-250L.Do you have room for a vertical?

W3WN
10-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Anyone planting a fall garden this year?I've thought about it. But with a critter of some sort running around there... probably a mole or or vole equivalent... I have to worry about Lucy Furr digging things up.

I'm going to have to do some, for lack of a better term, redesign for next year's garden to see if I can minimize it. Can't really punish the pup, she thinks she's protecting us, but...

Still... any suggestions?

W3WN
10-19-2012, 07:53 PM
One of these days, Ron! I would be stoked to reach that far on 160.Yeah, me too.

I'm down to 3 to work / 4 to confirm for 160 WAS. I'm hoping I can pick some up in the Stew Perry warm up this weekend, if I have a chance to get on.

KC2UGV
10-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Right, 200 pounds ago

So, you think that pic is from her pre-natal stages?

N8YX
10-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Do you have room for a vertical?

Vertical piece of wire works just fine with the right supports. For 160 I would tend to consider a 3 or 4-wire cage monopole with 12" spacing between the conductors, at least 20ft of capacitance hat/support wire per side at the top...and lots of radials.

KJ3N
10-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Vertical piece of wire works just fine with the right supports. For 160 I would tend to consider a 3 or 4-wire cage monopole with 12" spacing between the conductors, at least 20ft of capacitance hat/support wire per side at the top...and lots of radials.

I've been using 62 feet of ladder line (tied together at the bottom) with two pieces of wire, 41 feet long each, as a top hat. It's fed against a paltry 12 ground radials, but I've managed to get to the UK and the Caribbean on 160m SSB with 100 watts.

N8YX
10-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I've been using 62 feet of ladder line (tied together at the bottom) with two pieces of wire, 41 feet long each, as a top hat. It's fed against a paltry 12 ground radials, but I've managed to get to the UK and the Caribbean on 160m SSB with 100 watts.
We were considering doing something like that at 'DSG's parents' place before her dad's passing last year. I have an AH-2/AH-2A setup and an IC-751A/R-71A (or IC-745/R-70) combo to use with it. Plan was to put down at least 12 radials of 100-150ft in length and use the setup on 160 through 40.

KJ3N
10-19-2012, 09:03 PM
We were considering doing something like that at 'DSG's parents' place before her dad's passing last year. I have an AH-2/AH-2A setup and an IC-751A/R-71A (or IC-745/R-70) combo to use with it. Plan was to put down at least 12 radials of 100-150ft in length and use the setup on 160 through 40.

I've used mine on more bands than that. It loads not too badly on 12m (with a tuner, of course), if you can believe it. It's fed directly with 100 feet of RG-213 coax.

W3WN
10-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Well, I have the chimney mount. I need to get them installed, move the 2/70 antenna to a new mast and on those, and then extend the inverted L over to it. Will give me about 20 - 30 more feet total length, and make the vertical section a lot more vertical. What I should do is take a day off work...

N2CHX
10-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Do you have room for a vertical?

My yard is fairly small and I'm surrounded by trees and power lines. When we bought this place I wasn't thinking antennas, I was thinking how wonderful living in this grand old Victorian money pit would be :lol:

PA5COR
10-20-2012, 04:38 AM
My yard is just 36 feet long and 22 feet wide still has place for the 77 feet L lengthened with a wire from the top to a tree of the same length, good for 160 -20 with the MFJ 998 autotuner.
Guy wires going to chimney's and back of the yard see piccies at the Zed under my call.

N2CHX
10-20-2012, 04:38 AM

I wish I had room for that. That is fantastic! Maybe in 8 years when I move to the country somewhere.

suddenseer
10-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I have not indulged in good ice cream, or 160M in a long time. Open for suggestions.

WØTKX
10-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, there are low fat low sugar ice creams. And Gelato.

Did you have to move from your house into smaller digs? I've always wanted to run one or more of my rigs remotely. Now that I have a QTH that has room for big antennas... maybe someday. Certain Islanders are on the short list of folks that I would setup to run things here if I am not home. But ski season is going to get in the way shortly. I'm busy trying to sort out the station ground and antenna feed lines today, then maybe some more antenna work.

suddenseer
10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
I am staying with my parents until i am healthy enough to return to work. Hopefully, I will have 160M compliant real estate again someday.

NY4Q
10-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Well to answer the question that began this thread, it may be me.

I might be the force behind the hate. I absolutely despise contests, special event stations, FEEL DAY, and the like. AND, I really don't know why. I just get pissed off when I hear that mess. OH, and NETS are in there too. Especially that giat-daelm SOUTHCARS Net on the weekends on 7251. It seems like every net control station on there is over-processed and wide as a f'n barn door.

Lawd hal muhsie...

W3WN
10-20-2012, 01:58 PM
I wish I had room for that. That is fantastic! Maybe in 8 years when I move to the country somewhere.
Well, how well do you get along with your neighbors?

When the first one & I got married, I moved into her place; first floor of a house in the borough of Crafton. I ended up putting a Butternut 2MCV-5 on the chimney, and from the base of that, I ran ladder line up to a wire, that ran across our yard & the next three neighbor's yard (all 'city lots'), eventually tying to a tree branch at the edge of the sidewalk at the cross street. Height above ground was around 20 - 25 feet, give or take; high enough that if you didn't try to look for it, you didn't notice it.

I had permission from all 3 neighbors (I guess it didn't hurt that they all knew I mowed the lawn for the retired lady in her 70's next door, and some other stuff like that...

Now it wasn't long enough for 160 (though I could sometimes load it for the band), and if I knew then what I know now, I would have run some radials under it. Still, it was very effective on 80 & 75 meters.

The current inverted L uses the neighbor's tree as the 'sky hook' (again, with permission from all involved), crosses the back of another neighbor's property, 35 - 40 feet up, and goes into a vacant lot on the other side.

Can't hurt to ask. What's the worse thing they're going to do... say no?

N8YX
10-20-2012, 02:14 PM
What's the worse thing they're going to do... say no?
Get off my lawn?

K7SGJ
10-20-2012, 03:00 PM

I might be the force behind the hate. I absolutely despise contests, special event stations, FEEL DAY, and the like. AND, I really don't know why. I just get pissed off when I hear that mess. OH, and NETS are in there too. Especially that giat-daelm SOUTHCARS Net on the weekends on 7251. It seems like every net control station on there is over-processed and wide as a f'n barn door.

Lawd hal muhsie...

:hijack:
Back on topic? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

suddenseer
10-20-2012, 03:16 PM
I was thinking of dragging my ice cream maker out of storage. My homemade baking chocolate, and coconut, almond slivers mixed in vanilla recipe kicks ass. It is expensive, and time consuming. I wish I could find something as awesome, at the store.

N7YA
10-20-2012, 04:31 PM
That sounds really good.

N8YX
10-20-2012, 04:32 PM
I was thinking of dragging my ice cream maker out of storage. My homemade baking chocolate, and coconut, almond slivers mixed in vanilla recipe kicks ass. It is expensive, and time consuming. I wish I could find something as awesome, at the store.
I have to find mine. A favorite recipe is a strawberry so good and rich there's a heart attack in every bite. The stuff goes quick when I bring a gallon along to our fall biker picnic/corn roast.

Should the freezer materialize and since you can't drink much these days, allow me to whip up a batch for us when you'll be in the immediate area.

N7YA
10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Im a fan of mixing tropical flavors. maybe its the islander in me.

kf0rt
10-20-2012, 08:06 PM

Lawd hal muhsie...

You're not a provocateur of hate, though, and that may make all the difference.

Not directed at you, Bill, but the forum at large:

When I first got started in ham radio at the ripe old age of 13 (1969), the first adult group of hams I fell in with were pretty serious weekend contesters. By that, I mean they were pretty serious about a few contests (CQWW, ARRL-DX, SS and Field Day in particular), but the rest of the time, they were into rag chewing, hunting DX and improving their equipment and skills. They homebrewed a lot and every one of them could do 20WPM CW in their sleep. Some of my fondest HR memories are related to contesting, and you'd likely never meet a better bunch of hams. Friends first, hams second and contests third, but we really enjoyed the contests. The preparation and planning, the staying up all night. It was a good experience for this kid. In fact, I met my wife through that group (we've been married 34 years now, as of a couple weeks ago).

Contesting never was the only point; it was more of an informal social club (we really did have regular parties, too -- wives, girlfriends and even kids welcome -- seriously fun times). People moved; had divorces; some died even; haven't been in touch with any of these folks in many years now. It morphed over the years, but really was a slice of real life. Along the way, we developed one of the first computer controlled repeater controllers that actually worked (1978 ). Pre- cellphones; I know that autopatch saved lives. We may have been the first group in the country to utilize computerized logging and dupe checking in a Field Day contest (1980) -- totally custom and based on a TRS-80. I think that was the year we took second in 2A under the name "Colorado Contest Conspiracy." Quite a team effort.

Guess I'm getting old. Never could figure out why folks would waste 3-4 hours on a perfectly good Sunday afternoon watching football or NASCAR, but I'm over that. These days, I think that most of us work pretty hard for few "perks" in life and this means different things to different people. If we pretend to be free people, this should be allowed without a lot of criticism. Where I'm at these days, I'd trade a few tomorrows for some yesterdays (thanks, Janis). ;)

K7SGJ
10-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Not directed at you, Bill, but the forum at large:

When I first got started in ham radio at the ripe old age of 13 (1969), the first adult group of hams I fell in with were pretty serious weekend contesters. By that, I mean they were pretty serious about a few contests (CQWW, ARRL-DX, SS and Field Day in particular), but the rest of the time, they were into rag chewing, hunting DX and improving their equipment and skills. They homebrewed a lot and every one of them could do 20WPM CW in their sleep. Some of my fondest HR memories are related to contesting, and you'd likely never meet a better bunch of hams. Friends first, hams second and contests third, but we really enjoyed the contests. The preparation and planning, the staying up all night. It was a good experience for this kid. In fact, I met my wife through that group (we've been married 34 years now, as of a couple weeks ago).

Contesting never was the only point; it was more of an informal social club (we really did have regular parties, too -- wives, girlfriends and even kids welcome -- seriously fun times). People moved; had divorces; some died even; haven't been in touch with any of these folks in many years now. It morphed over the years, but really was a slice of real life. Along the way, we developed one of the first computer controlled repeater controllers that actually worked (1978 ). Pre- cellphones; I know that autopatch saved lives. We may have been the first group in the country to utilize computerized logging and dupe checking in a Field Day contest (1980) -- totally custom and based on a TRS-80. I think that was the year we took second in 2A under the name "Colorado Contest Conspiracy." Quite a team effort.

Guess I'm getting old. Never could figure out why folks would waste 3-4 hours on a perfectly good Sunday afternoon watching football or NASCAR, but I'm over that. These days, I think that most of us work pretty hard for few "perks" in life and this means different things to different people. If we pretend to be free people, this should be allowed without a lot of criticism. Where I'm at these days, I'd trade a few tomorrows for some yesterdays (thanks, Janis). ;)

And that ^^^^^^^ ladies and gentlemen, is what it's all about.

W3WN
10-20-2012, 09:47 PM
I was thinking of dragging my ice cream maker out of storage. My homemade baking chocolate, and coconut, almond slivers mixed in vanilla recipe kicks ass. It is expensive, and time consuming. I wish I could find something as awesome, at the store.That sounds good. Can you make a small batch with Splenda? I'll cover the costs...

N2CHX
10-21-2012, 07:23 AM

That makes ALL the difference. It's really no different than anything else in life. I don't really like contests, but I don't bitch about them. I don't particularly like 75 meter phone, but I'm not petitioning the FCC to get rid of it. I don't particularly like CB anymore, but the fact that people still use it doesn't bother me a bit. There are lots of things in life I don't particularly like and unless I'm having a really bad day, you probably won't hear me bitch about them.

I don't, at this point in my life, have a particular fondness for younger women driving a mini-van full of kids, because at this point they lead the demographic of People Who Almost Kill Kelli While She's Riding Her Ninja by like 4 to 1, followed by stupid old bald men in a close second. But you don't hear me saying that all younger women who drive mini vans full of kids should be banned from the road for driving like douchebags, although you will hear me bitch about a particular incident when it actually happens.

I don't f*cking like Jersey Shore. I think it's the dumbest show ever. It rots brain cells. I not even don't like it, it makes me want to throw up. Same with Toddlers And Tiaras and Honey Boo Boo. But you don't hear me bitching constantly about dumb reality shows that are pervading television, because, well... I have a f*cking life.

I suspect the problem isn't with disliking or even hating something, it's a matter of simply being such a bitter dolt who thrives on being a drama queen, that you have to make a scene and be a whiny bitch about certain things because it apparently makes you feel better about your miserable, washed-up life.

k1oik
10-21-2012, 09:11 AM
That makes ALL the difference. It's really no different than anything else in life. I don't really like contests, but I don't bitch about them. I don't particularly like 75 meter phone, but I'm not petitioning the FCC to get rid of it. I don't particularly like CB anymore, but the fact that people still use it doesn't bother me a bit. There are lots of things in life I don't particularly like and unless I'm having a really bad day, you probably won't hear me bitch about them.

I don't, at this point in my life, have a particular fondness for younger women driving a mini-van full of kids, because at this point they lead the demographic of People Who Almost Kill Kelli While She's Riding Her Ninja by like 4 to 1, followed by stupid old bald men in a close second. But you don't hear me saying that all younger women who drive mini vans full of kids should be banned from the road for driving like douchebags, although you will hear me bitch about a particular incident when it actually happens.

I don't f*cking like Jersey Shore. I think it's the dumbest show ever. It rots brain cells. I not even don't like it, it makes me want to throw up. Same with Toddlers And Tiaras and Honey Boo Boo. But you don't hear me bitching constantly about dumb reality shows that are pervading television, because, well... I have a f*cking life.

I suspect the problem isn't with disliking or even hating something, it's a matter of simply being such a bitter dolt who thrives on being a drama queen, that you have to make a scene and be a whiny bitch about certain things because it apparently makes you feel better about your miserable, washed-up life.

You just did exactly what you do not like. You just bitched about certain things because it apparently makes you feel better about your miserable, washed-up life.
Don't use a word (f*cking) that no righted minded person would do with you

N7YA
10-21-2012, 09:15 AM

Im with you on the Jersey Shore thing. But i gotta say...Honey Boo Boo really makes me want to kill puppies. Its a fucking disaster of a show!

N2CHX
10-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Im with you on the Jersey Shore thing. But i gotta say...Honey Boo Boo really makes me want to kill puppies. Its a fucking disaster of a show!

I hear ya. I just don't pay attention to it though. I've got better things to do if I'm gonna waste time. Speaking of that, I watched a documentary yesterday that I really liked. It's on Netflix right now and it's called What The $#*! Do We Know?!. It's about how quantum physics relates to us as human beings and how it may explain some of the things people attribute to religious belief. It was pretty interesting.

EDIT: I liked Rubber too, so I guess that says a lot about my taste in movies. Don't say you haven't been warned.

N7YA
10-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Oh man! We just discovered Netflix on our computer...$8 a month and we can watch whatever we want, whenever we want and as many times as we want. My wife is already on season 2 of The Walking Dead. Im catching up on my Family Guy. Every show i liked to watch but had to say goodbye to when we dumped cable.