PDA

View Full Version : The 50 Worst Inventions.

N2NH
10-10-2012, 06:50 PM
As TIME Magazine sees it...

Smell-O-Vision, SONY CD Copy Protection, Asbestos, Olestra, Hydrogen Blimps...

Although calling The Hindenburg a "blimp" is a bit misleading (it was a Zeppelin).

The Full Monty here. (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1991915,00.html)

"Vio??!?" Yes, Vio.

N8YX
10-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Just imagine:

You've engaged the Smell-O-Vision feature and on comes this week's episode of "Honey Boo Boo".

:sick:

n2ize
10-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree with almost all of them except the following...

1) DDT - A very effective insecticide. DDT is one of the most effective defenses against malaria. Even Rachel Carlson didn't call for the total banning of DDT. Rather she suggested that it be used with greater caution, particularly in sensitive areas.

2) Asbestos... a very effective fireproofing material. And when used properly, harmless. A good part of my house is sided with asbestos siding. Properly. maintained and kept in non-friable condition it is quite safe.

3) Leaded gas.... a great anti-knock additive hat improved internal combustion kept both small and large engines running efficiency. Improved designes have more or less obsoleted the need for leaded gas. Still, some older vintage engines may require it. I believe it is sold as an additive.

Otherwise I agree with all the rest.

n2ize
10-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Now if you want to talk about worst inventions I think Time Magazine missed the gem of all gems.

http://www.bpmlegal.com/wpogo.html

kb2vxa
10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Olestra, every time I go to Booger fling albeit infrequently there on the counter is a painful reminder, Cinnabon. Side effects listed in the article don't even come close to what it's like having a bomb explode out your rear end every few minutes for hours on end. Cramps? Until you discover too late it's made with Olestra you don't know what PAIN is!

ka4dpo
10-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Asbestos... a very effective fireproofing material. And when used properly, harmless. A good part of my house is sided with asbestos siding. Properly. maintained and kept in non-friable condition it is quite safe.

Just don't kick the walls.

N2CHX
10-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Crinolin? Whoever wrote this article doesn't even know what it is. They think it's an article of clothing when in fact, it's material used to make them.

CueCat? I have two or three of those kicking around here somewhere. Best invention ever, back in the day. Radio Shack gave them away for free and you could hack the drivers and use them for your own barcode reading and other nifty little things. Again,the writer is an idiot.

KG4CGC
10-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I noticed a lot a shitty inventions that were left out. Take the penis cocktail shaker for example.

n2ize
10-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Crinolin? Whoever wrote this article doesn't even know what it is. They think it's an article of clothing when in fact, it's material used to make them.

CueCat? I have two or three of those kicking around here somewhere. Best invention ever, back in the day. Radio Shack gave them away for free and you could hack the drivers and use them for your own barcode reading and other nifty little things. Again,the writer is an idiot.
I largely agree, The writer is unaware of many facts. I missed the Cue cat. Yeah, I had fun with that, getting it to read bar codes. It was a hackable scanner and free to boot.. And yes, crinolin is the material not the finished product. Obviously the writer does not have their facts down.