PDA

View Full Version : The way hams are REALLY perceived

k1oik
10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Saw this as part of this article http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/20398475/article-Amateur-radio-operator-clashes-with-code-enforcement-

Old Time PR
|
10 Hours Ago

Take a look at the comments from hams posting here who proudly attach their call sign. Their attitude is confrontational and combative. The majority of you hams obtained your amateur radio license in the last two or three decades, entering the hobby in what is called the post gentlemen era. You do not have the slightest idea what the Amateur Radio Code is, and no, I am not talking about Morse code. The very hams who run down CB most likely entered ham radio via CB radio, and you brought all your bad habits and attitudes with you. Take a look at any gathering of hams, and you will find elderly males in poor physical shape, not exactly what would be considered first responders. What is a ham's favorite activity? Simple, sitting in front of a microphone, talking about themselves. The public image and perception of amateur radio has deteriorated in recent years, and hams have only themselves to blame. This newspaper article gets directly to the root of that problem. Hams are self-centered, spending huge amounts of money on far more equipment than they require, while at the same time convincing themselves they are some sort of public service and relevant in today's world. There was a time when a person was required to pass a lengthy difficult technical licensing examination, administered by a federal official, in order to become an amateur radio operator. Such is not the case anymore. A ham radio exam today can be obtained quickly, requiring only a few hours of study, and it is administered by another ham, with no government oversight. In an earlier time, a ham radio operator prided himself in being an important member of his community, not so today. Take a look at the comments here. They reflect the selfish self-centered attitude of today's amateur radio operator. I will have as many towers as I want, and I don't care what my neighbors think, and I will fight my local government officials toward that end. Yup, full speed ahead, ham it up guys. This incident will have a huge negative impact on what little positive image still remains of the amateur radio community. Disagree all you want, public perception is everything.

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Amateur radio operator clashes with code enforcement (http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/20398475/article-Amateur-radio-operator-clashes-with-code-enforcement-#ixzz28q5tFpNu)

KK4AMI
10-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Saw this as part of this article http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/20398475/article-Amateur-radio-operator-clashes-with-code-enforcement-

Old Time PR
|
10 Hours Ago

Take a look at the comments from hams posting here who proudly attach their call sign. Their attitude is confrontational and combative. The majority of you hams obtained your amateur radio license in the last two or three decades, entering the hobby in what is called the post gentlemen era. You do not have the slightest idea what the Amateur Radio Code is, and no, I am not talking about Morse code. The very hams who run down CB most likely entered ham radio via CB radio, and you brought all your bad habits and attitudes with you. Take a look at any gathering of hams, and you will find elderly males in poor physical shape, not exactly what would be considered first responders. What is a ham's favorite activity? Simple, sitting in front of a microphone, talking about themselves. The public image and perception of amateur radio has deteriorated in recent years, and hams have only themselves to blame. This newspaper article gets directly to the root of that problem. Hams are self-centered, spending huge amounts of money on far more equipment than they require, while at the same time convincing themselves they are some sort of public service and relevant in today's world. There was a time when a person was required to pass a lengthy difficult technical licensing examination, administered by a federal official, in order to become an amateur radio operator. Such is not the case anymore. A ham radio exam today can be obtained quickly, requiring only a few hours of study, and it is administered by another ham, with no government oversight. In an earlier time, a ham radio operator prided himself in being an important member of his community, not so today. Take a look at the comments here. They reflect the selfish self-centered attitude of today's amateur radio operator. I will have as many towers as I want, and I don't care what my neighbors think, and I will fight my local government officials toward that end. Yup, full speed ahead, ham it up guys. This incident will have a huge negative impact on what little positive image still remains of the amateur radio community. Disagree all you want, public perception is everything.

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Amateur radio operator clashes with code enforcement (http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story/20398475/article-Amateur-radio-operator-clashes-with-code-enforcement-#ixzz28q5tFpNu)

Hams are not the only thing that the neighbors complain about. I live out in the country for that very reason. Truckers that park their rigs, motorhomes and trailers at home get grief, people that want to shoot or hunt close to home get grief.I got yelled at for spray painting bike tanks with lacquer in a garage because the neighbors could smell the paint. Hell, I know a rich guy that bought a helicopter and built a landing pad in his backyard. He flew in and out daily over neighborhoods and got complaints from everybody.

If you want to be happy in your life, you need to get along with your neighbors or get out. That is the most important law to live by.

kb2crk
10-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Burt
I have seen one of your youtube rants. talk about being part of the problem.

K7SGJ
10-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Old Time PR
|
10 Hours Ago

Blame the internet, Burt. Prior to that, we didn't have to put up with all this bullshit. Yours and theirs. Ham radio wise, everything was pretty much done over the air and via QSL cards. No problems and very few confrontations. Now any one with a computer and internet access has an venue for their cause, an instant audience, and of course, everyone can now be a critic. This is one of those days where, for me, this kind of shit is tiresome, along with politics, gun threads, religion, and all of it. I doubt I'm alone.

We should have a 7 day moratorium on all this crap, and have nothing but tech stuff, fun stuff, jokes, puns, and everything else that is un-rantable, un-spinable, and non-controversial. Shit, that right there is a fucking pipe dream.

Whatever to happened to jocularity and having fun, and not being so GD serious. Sheesh......................

NQ6U
10-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I agree, Burt. Amateur radio sucks and hams are all a bunch of self-centered jerks. If I were you, I'd turn in my license immediately rather than continuing to associate with such riff-raff.

Please do this as soon as possible. At the first opportunity. Please.

KG4NEL
10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/26600000/Come-at-me-bro-random-26657165-500-392.png

W2NAP
10-09-2012, 08:06 PM
lol

k1oik
10-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I agree, Burt. Amateur radio sucks and hams are all a bunch of self-centered jerks. If I were you, I'd turn in my license immediately rather than continuing to associate with such riff-raff.

Please do this as soon as possible. At the first opportunity. Please.
In the general society I feel like a social incompetent but among hams I have finally found a place where no matter how big an asshole I am, there are many worse than I. Hams are not all self centered nor are all jerks but I suggest you go on the air and relate to 10 different hams some facts about your life and see if even one gives a damn about you and asks even one question. You could tell them your wife left you, your child has cancer and their response will be my rig is an Icom 7000 etc. Try it, I have

KG4NEL
10-09-2012, 08:39 PM
The funny part is that this troll isn't even based off a sensational article :shifty:

Sounds like the county is accommodating to hams anyway. File the paperwork, be legal, and tell your neighbors where to take it if they have a problem with a 70'. Even the opposing counsel sounded reasonable :D

KJ3N
10-09-2012, 08:51 PM
The ham is an idiot. :roll:

The FCC doesn't allow you to ignore building and land use permits, you fucking moron. :roll:

During Tuesday’s hearing, John Pederson, the county’s zoning division manager, said any tower above 35 feet needs a special land use permit unless it’s a ham radio tower in which case the county allows a property owner to have one that is up to 70 feet in height.

Pederson also said the county did not have building permits on record for either the 70 foot or the 140 foot tower, something that was required.

You don't follow proper procedure, and then have the balls to act like they're picking on you? You fucked up. Deal with it.

In this case, I hope the ham loses. He doesn't have carte blanche to do whatever the hell he feels like.

k1oik
10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Burt
I have seen one of your youtube rants. talk about being part of the problem.

kb2crk
10-09-2012, 09:20 PM

I rest my case.

N7YA
10-10-2012, 12:42 AM
In the general society I feel like a social incompetent but among hams I have finally found a place where no matter how big an asshole I am, there are many worse than I. Hams are not all self centered nor are all jerks but I suggest you go on the air and relate to 10 different hams some facts about your life and see if even one gives a damn about you and asks even one question. You could tell them your wife left you, your child has cancer and their response will be my rig is an Icom 7000 etc. Try it, I have

Weather here was nice today...about 81f. Rig is an old FT-757gx. HW?

N8YX
10-10-2012, 04:45 AM
HW-101?

N7YA
10-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Nope...FT757....hw cpi?

ad4mg
10-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Nope...FT757....hw cpi?

Your avatar... "Read Instead". Instead of what? I'm assuming listening to mind numbing drivel offered by the mainstream media? Does Fox really lie?

k1oik
10-10-2012, 06:16 AM
I rest my case.

And proved mine

k1oik
10-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Typical ham radio comment, devoid of any emotion, content, which is why young people say hams have no life

NQ6U
10-10-2012, 07:14 AM

Fine business rig OM. Station here is a IC-736 feeding a home brew 40m dipole at approximately 32' AGL. Weather here is perfect, as usual. Back to you, N7YA de KJ6BSO

N7YA
10-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Your avatar... "Read Instead". Instead of what? I'm assuming listening to mind numbing drivel offered by the mainstream media? Does Fox really lie?

I dunno. Zinn, maybe? I was reading the History of Aviation. Either way, we completely cancelled cable, and the tv is gathering dust...saving us money on the power bill, not to mention $100 a month from the cable being gone. Every little bit helps.

KC2UGV
10-10-2012, 07:40 AM

Interesting. Per chance you are using the wrong modes and bands. Olivia on 30 meters, and you can get yourself a nice hour-long ragchew.

k1oik
10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Interesting. Per chance you are using the wrong modes and bands. Olivia on 30 meters, and you can get yourself a nice hour-long ragchew.

I never used Olivia, what do I need to use it?

KC2UGV
10-10-2012, 08:41 AM

You have a Flex, so I think nothing. You've already got it. It's just a digital mode. At most, a sound card interface, transceiver and software capable of doing Olivia. Whatever you use, make sure RFID is on, since there are multiple Olivia modes (Bandwidth used/Number of tones used).

NY4Q
10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Take a look at any gathering of hams, and you will find elderly males in poor physical shape, not exactly what would be considered first responders.

How about first responders to the Western Sizzler Buffet Line?

ki4itv
10-10-2012, 09:25 AM

You have a Flex, so I think nothing. You've already got it. It's just a digital mode. At most, a sound card interface, transceiver and software capable of doing Olivia. Whatever you use, make sure RFID is on, since there are multiple Olivia modes (Bandwidth used/Number of tones used).

See, no worries there, Burt. It's about your speed too.;)

w0aew
10-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Besides her permission you mean?

N8YX
10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Is the throughput force in Olivia quantified in Newton-Johns, perhaps? :chin:

kb2vxa
10-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Like RTTY is quantified in Brigitte Baudot? Back to the subject, I wonder where he gets the idea the FCC has anything to say about zoning regulations or why he thinks an Amateur license gives him some sort of entitlement to disregard the law. Frankly he's a lid who gives us a bad name and we'd all be better off without his kind, I'm sure you know the names.

N2CHX
10-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Typical ham radio comment, devoid of any emotion, content, which is why young people say hams have no life

Most hardcore hams don't have a life. What's your point?

Oh and... Back in the day, we knew how to write using paragraphs and without run-on sentences.

KC2UGV
10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Most hardcore hams don't have a life. What's your point?

Oh and... Back in the day, we knew how to write using paragraphs and without run-on sentences.

We also knew how to use conjunctions in a list sentence. Good teachers teach that. They also use it in writing :P

N8YX
10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
We also knew how to use conjunctions in a list sentence. Good teachers teach that. They also use it in writing :P
Conjunction Junction; what's your dysfunction? :chin:

KC2UGV
10-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Conjunction Junction; what's your dysfunction? :chin:

"I'm going to get rid of that!" lol

N7YA
10-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Copy that, OM, well the antenna is an Inverted V, up about 35'. Been a ham 30 years, age 46. BK...

N7YA
10-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Fine business rig OM. Station here is a IC-736 feeding a home brew 40m dipole at approximately 32' AGL. Weather here is perfect, as usual. Back to you, N7YA de KJ6BSO

R R

I think there is a breaking station, but hes REAL weak here. :lol:

N8YX
10-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Copy that, OM, well the antenna is an Inverted V, up about 35'. Been a ham 30 years, age 46. BK...

BK - Burger King?

That is just plain creepy.

N7YA
10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Is the throughput force in Olivia quantified in Newton-Johns, perhaps? :chin:

:lol:

Nice....

N7YA
10-10-2012, 05:23 PM
BK - Burger King?

That is just plain creepy.

kb2crk
10-10-2012, 07:37 PM
And proved mine

proved nothing except that you ego is way bigger than it needs to be.

k1oik
10-10-2012, 09:55 PM

I was an electronics teacher. In my school vocational teachers were tested on the trade. Do you want your plumber to fix the crap coming out of your mouth or quote Shakesphere?

N2CHX
10-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I was an electronics teacher. In my school vocational teachers were tested on the trade. Do you want your plumber to fix the crap coming out of your mouth or quote Shakesphere?

Brought to you by the guy who started the thread bitching about other ham ops in the "post-gentleman era" and their bad habits and attitudes :doh:

N7YA
10-11-2012, 12:57 AM
A substitute electronics trade teacher for young kids?

KG4CGC
10-11-2012, 01:04 AM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/3c403523.gif

k1oik
10-11-2012, 05:36 AM
I retired as a full time teacher.

N7YA
10-11-2012, 05:53 AM
:yes:

KC2UGV
10-11-2012, 06:31 AM

No, but I would expect any and all teachers to have a solid grasp of the English language. Last I checked, communication skills count, even as an electronics teacher.

k1oik
10-11-2012, 06:42 AM
No, but I would expect any and all teachers to have a solid grasp of the English language. Last I checked, communication skills count, even as an electronics teacher.

So you had trouble understanding me? I have an AA degree and got B's in most of my English classes. Not because I was any good at grammar but because I have an ability to compose so the D's on grammar tests were evened out by A's on everything else. When I taught Info Tech 90% passed A+ certification, since I left almost none. They were not tested on grammar on the A+ test.
Here is some English for you, you might understand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_LIR5ExIU

Don't forget May 6

N2CHX
10-11-2012, 06:54 AM
So you had trouble understanding me? I have an AA degree and got B's in most of my English classes. Not because I was any good at grammar but because I have an ability to compose so the D's on grammar tests were evened out by A's on everything else. When I taught Info Tech 90% passed A+ certification, since I left almost none. They were not tested on grammar on the A+ test.

Don't forget May 6

You really don't get it, do you? This isn't the first thread wherein you've nitpicked at the way other people do ham radio. Apparently you miss the irony here? Yah, you apparently do.

KC2UGV
10-11-2012, 06:55 AM

Don't forget May 6

I'm sure if you have an AA, you had to have written at least one paper.

I'd hazard: This is the problem with our education system. Even our teachers lack basic reading and writing skills.

N2CHX
10-11-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm sure if you have an AA, you had to have written at least one paper.

I'd hazard: This is the problem with our education system. Even our teachers lack basic reading and writing skills.

I think this particular problem is with the OP and his penchant for criticizing every little thing other hams do and then whining like a titty baby when someone does it back to him.

W3WN
10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
You really don't get it, do you? This isn't the first thread wherein you've nitpicked at the way other people do ham radio. Apparently you miss the irony here? Yah, you apparently do.Forget it Kell, he isn't worth raising your blood pressure.

Irony, like sarcasm and hyperbole, seem to go right over his head... and run smack dab into his overinflated ego.

KC2UGV
10-11-2012, 07:56 AM
I think this particular problem is with the OP and his penchant for criticizing every little thing other hams do and then whining like a titty baby when someone does it back to him.

And, I would agree.

N7YA
10-11-2012, 03:37 PM
If nothing else, Burt is fun to mess with...it feeds his ego and is kind of like playing Angry Birds for the rest of us. Everyone wins. Theres always an upside.

N2CHX
10-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Forget it Kell, he isn't worth raising your blood pressure.

Irony, like sarcasm and hyperbole, seem to go right over his head... and run smack dab into his overinflated ego.

If nothing else, Burt is fun to mess with...it feeds his ego and is kind of like playing Angry Birds for the rest of us. Everyone wins. Theres always an upside.
^^ That right there. My blood pressure isn't any higher than usual, at least not because of Burt.

WØTKX
10-11-2012, 04:03 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Qvi1YXBmQ-g/T1QdqgftwFI/AAAAAAAAAMs/pSR9NgB3X9g/s1600/Skjermbilde+2012-03-04+kl.+17.57.32.png

Yes, it's not spelled the same, but it's funny. Oh was that rude? Sorry about that Chief.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wM5JtWB-9H4/TfOsVYoxgDI/AAAAAAAACuk/usoc2wW31DM/s1600/Screen+shot+2011-06-11+at+1.56.19+PM.png

k1oik
10-11-2012, 04:10 PM
You really don't get it, do you? This isn't the first thread wherein you've nitpicked at the way other people do ham radio. Apparently you miss the irony here? Yah, you apparently do.

I can take the heat as I also apply the heat. My grammar is not good. However vocational teachers are required to know their vocation first. Pick on me all you want but we do not require English teachers to know ANYTHING about the vocations.

N2CHX
10-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I can take the heat as I also apply the heat. My grammar is not good. However vocational teachers are required to know their vocation first. Pick on me all you want but we do not require English teachers to know ANYTHING about the vocations.

Wow. You really are dense. No offense but I've met rocks that are more perceptive.

N7YA
10-11-2012, 04:28 PM
He is just saying he loves to lather on liberal amounts of Ben Gay....in the the soft moonlight.

k1oik
10-11-2012, 08:23 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Qvi1YXBmQ-g/T1QdqgftwFI/AAAAAAAAAMs/pSR9NgB3X9g/s1600/Skjermbilde+2012-03-04+kl.+17.57.32.png

Yes, it's not spelled the same, but it's funny. Oh was that rude? Sorry about that Chief.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wM5JtWB-9H4/TfOsVYoxgDI/AAAAAAAACuk/usoc2wW31DM/s1600/Screen+shot+2011-06-11+at+1.56.19+PM.png

It is funny

KC2UGV
10-12-2012, 07:17 AM

I would assume part of an Electronics vocation is clear, and concise writing; to include proper grammar.

Tell us, what is the difference between:
A 555 timer electrode wire diode

And:
A 555 timer, electrode wire, and a diode

Now, you can see the importance of commas, and the use of proper conjunctions, right?

NQ6U
10-12-2012, 08:41 AM

I was a truck driver by trade, the epitome of uneducated vocations. Now I'm the training coordinator at an accredited private vocational school, considered by the State of California to be the equivalent of teaching at the community college level. Not only do I know my vocation well enough to teach it to both students and other instructors, I am able to write a sentence with more or less proper grammar and punctuation.

And one more thing: I have been known to quote Shakespeare to my students from time to time. Most of them don't get it, of course, but the ones who do really appreciate it.

N8YX
10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
And one more thing: I have been known to quote Shakespeare to my students from time to time. Most of them don't get it, of course, but the ones who do really appreciate it.
"This blasted Heath!" <- shortly after taking delivery of his latest eBay winnings...

W3WN
10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
"This blasted Heath!" <- shortly after taking delivery of his latest eBay winnings...Which reminds me, how's that Omni V working out?

N8YX
10-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Which reminds me, how's that Omni V working out?
See my post in the "What's wrong with this picture?" thread. Just need to find a 1.8KHz B/W 2nd IF filter and it'll be complete.

Think I'll add the external-RX mute circuit to it as I did the P-II/Omni VI. Really like the rig.

W3WN
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
See my post in the "What's wrong with this picture?" thread. Just need to find a 1.8KHz B/W 2nd IF filter and it'll be complete.

Think I'll add the external-RX mute circuit to it as I did the P-II/Omni VI. Really like the rig.Ask on the TT reflector. I think those are going in the $75 - 90 range right now.

k1oik
10-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Somehow some think anything a ham says would bother me.
Hams cannot say anything to mess with me, you are insignificant.
If I upset a child that is different

k1oik
10-13-2012, 08:20 PM
I would assume part of an Electronics vocation is clear, and concise writing; to include proper grammar.

Tell us, what is the difference between:
A 555 timer electrode wire diode

And:
A 555 timer, electrode wire, and a diode

Now, you can see the importance of commas, and the use of proper conjunctions, right?

Did I miss a comma in an important sentence as you have shown?
Proper grammar is important but if you are teaching a trade, knowledge of the trade is more so.

W7XF
10-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Seems to me that VE7KFM has better command of the English language than K1OI(n)K xD

NQ6U
10-13-2012, 10:07 PM
[deleted]

W7XF
10-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Look at the mentioned call sign, Pope Carlo.....

NQ6U
10-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Look at the mentioned call sign, Pope Carlo.....

Oops, my bad. Deleted.

W7XF
10-13-2012, 10:15 PM
BTW Carlo.... there are reliable sources stating that your bar tab is quickly approaching the US budget deficit......

TESLA
10-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I spent the weekend with Burt and 2000 of our closest friends and we had an absolute BLAST! Burt, always check the passenger side door. LOL

N2CHX
10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
I spent the weekend with Burt and 2000 of our closest friends and we had an absolute BLAST! Burt, always check the passenger side door. LOL

He didn't simultaneously whine and nitpick you to death? Amazing. He must put on airs here :snicker:

TESLA
10-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I know he may not agree with me but he is so different in person that you would not know him, just my opinion but shared by many others with first hand knowledge.

n6hcm
10-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Did I miss a comma in an important sentence as you have shown?
Proper grammar is important but if you are teaching a trade, knowledge of the trade is more so.

I don't agree. If you fail to communicate clearly then you fail at the teaching you claim to do.

N7YA
10-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Somehow some think anything a ham says would bother me.
Hams cannot say anything to mess with me, you are insignificant.
If I upset a child that is different

Theres Burt, going down the 'love me' list. :lol:

N7YA
10-14-2012, 04:08 AM
I know he may not agree with me but he is so different in person that you would not know him, just my opinion but shared by many others with first hand knowledge.

If his actions online dont send up alarms to you, then he's all yours.

N8YX
10-14-2012, 05:37 AM
So you're saying he plays the foo' on The Intertubes?

k1oik
10-14-2012, 05:48 AM

I am not different in person. On line I get plenty of barbs because most hams hide behind the keyboard. In person at Deerfield I had hams coming up to me want their pictures taken with me ( I have video proof).
Those that would like to throw barbs, cower in person. One ham that called me all kinds of names from Ct. on 75 AM said nothing when I saw him and I said to him you despise me. Why did he have no response?

k1oik
10-14-2012, 05:50 AM
I don't agree. If you fail to communicate clearly then you fail at the teaching you claim to do.

I am not clear? Then why this:7594

k1oik
10-14-2012, 05:52 AM
So you're saying he plays the foo' on The Intertubes?

I reflect what I see. If one plays the ass here, I respond. In person no one attacks me because:
1. They agree with me
2. Or they are pussies

N7YA
10-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Oh please.

W4GPL
10-14-2012, 07:37 AM
This is boring.

Burt, I only tolerate so much trolling and bullshit -- you're trying my patience.

Everyone else, trolls only survive when you give them the attention they're looking for. Don't. :-P

:locked: