PDA

View Full Version : Compact Disc turns 30

kf0rt
10-09-2012, 06:42 AM
http://www.whathifi.com/blog/the-cd-is-30-years-old-today

Whoda thunk it?

ki4itv
10-09-2012, 06:51 AM
They were oversold and disappointed me from the start, I never liked them after that.

ki4itv
10-09-2012, 06:53 AM
...uhmmm, except for the repeat feature. Especially when I discovered I could repeat sections of songs endlessly. That rocked.

kf0rt
10-09-2012, 07:00 AM
I got a Sony CDP-102 deck back in late '84 or early '85. First album was John Fogerty's Centerfield (wasn't much to pick from). Man, that was soooo much better than LP's. :lol:

ki4itv
10-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Wasn't far behind you...got a nice pioneer system 87 or so. Immediately started noticing what I thought were quality control issues with some of the disc. I was under the impression (hype) that they would last forever never having to replace them.
Quickly found out that is not so. I guess my lifestyle was not conducive to the care of fragile disc after a life littered with abused, but forgiving, cassettes.

n2ize
10-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Even when cassette tapes were still popular I was envisioning a static device (like a memory stick) which would contain media (music,etc) in digitized format and which would be played by simply plugging it into a computer or device with no mechanical parts. Only problem was that in those days such memory was not to be readily found.

KC2UGV
10-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Even when cassette tapes were still popular I was envisioning a static device (like a memory stick) which would contain media (music,etc) in digitized format and which would be played by simply plugging it into a computer or device with no mechanical parts. Only problem was that in those days such memory was not to be readily found.

Hell, in those days, you could make your own memory by hand on a loom:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/KL_CoreMemory.jpg/600px-KL_CoreMemory.jpg

W5GA
10-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Is that a Navajo piece?

kf0rt
10-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Is that a Navajo piece?

64 bytes worth -- not enough to hold a drum beat.

KG4CGC
10-09-2012, 01:07 PM
When we went digital, we lost the sound. The ones and zeros only touch spots along the full spectrum of the line representing the sound.

Imagine a board along a set of stairs. The board is the sound. The stairs are the digital equivalent. The triangular spaces between the stairs and under each section of board is the lost sound that ones and zeros can not recover.

KC2UGV
10-09-2012, 01:24 PM
When we went digital, we lost the sound. The ones and zeros only touch spots along the full spectrum of the line representing the sound.

Imagine a board along a set of stairs. The board is the sound. The stairs are the digital equivalent. The triangular spaces between the stairs and under each section of board is the lost sound that ones and zeros can not recover.

And yet, smooth surfaces still "feel" smooth, even thought a smooth surface has numerous cracks, bumps, etc etc.

KC2UGV
10-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Is that a Navajo piece?

Magnetic core memory :)

KG4CGC
10-09-2012, 01:36 PM
And yet, smooth surfaces still "feel" smooth, even thought a smooth surface has numerous cracks, bumps, etc etc.

Bullshit equivalency. The sound is lost. Musicians and aficionados can tell. Don't be an audiofool.

KC2UGV
10-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Bullshit equivalency. The sound is lost. Musicians and aficionados can tell. Don't be an audiofool.

Musicians and aficionados can also "tell the difference" between oxygen free copper cables, and regular copper cables.

KG4CGC
10-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Musicians and aficionados can also "tell the difference" between oxygen free copper cables, and regular copper cables.

Now you're just being a spiteful asshole. This is a serious topic. The music (record labels) industry fucked us on the sound to make higher profits. We all got fucked because we lost our choices.

KC9ECI
10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
First player for me was late 86 and my first CD was Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms.

W2NAP
10-09-2012, 03:09 PM
but you can still buy records man!

NQ6U
10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
my first CD was Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms.

Same here. Still a fine disc, IMHO.

KC9ECI
10-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Same here. Still a fine disc, IMHO.

I think I might listen to it tonight when I hit the bunk.

Meanwhile, according to lastFM, my top 12 tracks are:

Jethro Tull – Locomotive Breath
Focus – Hocus Pocus
Marilyn Manson – Tainted Love
Sweet – Fox On The Run
Billy Joel – My Life
Foreigner – Jukebox Hero
AC/DC – Highway to Hell
Ozzy Osbourne – Crazy Train
Ramones – Blitzkrieg Bop
Styx – Mr. Roboto
Paper Lace – The Night Chicago Died
Aerosmith – Sweet Emotion
John Fogerty – Centerfield
The Buggles – Video Killed the Radio Star

WŘTKX
10-09-2012, 07:39 PM

Depends on the sample rate, and it helps to not bullcrap around with too much expansion and compression. I'm happier with modern high end digital files than early CD stuff. Noticeable with a lot of the jazz I listen too, plain old rock and roll, not so much.

I have some high end LP tunes encoded properly into digital, and it's very nice. There is a point of diminishing returns. And I was a major tape wonk... much preferred my reel to reel than cassette, back in the day. For good reason.

Anybody remember the S-ANRS stuff? ;)

W2NAP
10-09-2012, 08:11 PM
just think we could all be using 8 track....

KC2UGV
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Now you're just being a spiteful asshole.

Um, Duh?

:lol:

This is a serious topic. The music (record labels) industry fucked us on the sound to make higher profits. We all got fucked because we lost our choices.

You can still buy vinyl, tape, and reel (I think). Many forward-thing musicians also release FLAC lossless (ie NIN).

KG4CGC
10-09-2012, 08:16 PM
No. I want to have a tantrum and ponder the entropy of a board on a staircase.

KC2UGV
10-09-2012, 08:20 PM
No. I want to have a tantrum and ponder the entropy of a board on a staircase.

Oh yeah, I remember that one now lol

kf0rt
10-09-2012, 08:22 PM
The music (record labels) industry fucked us on the sound to make higher profits. We all got fucked because we lost our choices.

Well, but that has nothing to do with modern digital capabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Somewhere around here, I've got a DVD-A of Brothers In Arms. It's stunning in all it's bitwise glory. :lol:
For non-music, fire up Master & Commander on a decent DTS system. You're THERE.

KG4NEL
10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
just think we could all be using 8 track....

Icepick to the eardrums, Trotsky-style.

KB3LAZ
10-18-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.whathifi.com/blog/the-cd-is-30-years-old-today

Whoda thunk it?

The CD is older than me? That is depressing.

NQ6U
10-18-2012, 09:35 PM
The CD is older than me? That is depressing.

Get off my lawn, kid.

kb2vxa
10-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Don't Step On The Grass, Sam. Now if you remember that song you're mummified, a common effect of what we did in our feckless youth.