PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck. 2 Interviews today

kb2crk
10-08-2012, 06:36 AM
I will be off shortly for 2 job interviews. This should prove interesting as one is similar to what I do now but involves robotics. the other is bizarre as the want a Jack of all trades maintenance (machine, hvac, building) mechanic combined with IT tech. I am going to the second one just to see what they have been smoking or what they expect from someone in that position. I am confidant I could do either one of these jobs. (IT might be a bit of a Challenge) I will find out soon enough. Tomorrow it is back to the current job for an 8 hour meeting so we can learn what some auditors will be looking for. I have done the walk through with the auditors three of the 5 years I have worked there and do not understand why I must sit through a mandatory meeting on what should have been my day off. I probably Know what the auditors are looking for better than the HR person who is teaching it. The place has gone downhill and still sliding fast and like a rat I know when to get off a sinking ship.

KC2UGV
10-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Little secret: IT can be challenging at times, but most of what we do is use Google lol

kb2crk
10-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Little secret: IT can be challenging at times, but most of what we do is use Google lol

Thanks for that secret Corey.... That is what I do when I have to fix one of the computers here at the house. The hardware is the easy part for me. software can give me fits at times.

ki4itv
10-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Godspeed OM. :yes:

suddenseer
10-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Break a leg!

N2CHX
10-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Good luck OM!

K7SGJ
10-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Knock em dead. Hope you get good offers from both of them. It's a warm fuzzy to be wanted.

NQ6U
10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Good luck! Hope you get laid! (Oops, sorry, that's only for birthdays...)

K7SGJ
10-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Not necessarily.

PA5COR
10-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Good luck, hals und beinbruch....;)

AE1PT
10-08-2012, 10:47 AM
The VERY BEST tech jobs I have ever held have been the 'jack of all trades' type. These come with a lot of independence, interesting and varied challenges--and most importantly--a whole lot of functional value. One has to be a lot more clever than the average factory rat to succeed... :cool2:

Show them what you got! Remember that whatever someone has--somebody else is looking for it... :agree:

kb2crk
10-08-2012, 10:47 AM
One down and one to go. The first went well but my lack of robotics experience most likely hurt me. The second is in an hour and a half and is an interesting mix of machine repair and IT. That should be quite interesting. I should know something by Friday on the first one. It would be nice to work somewhere that is climate controlled and clean as compared to an aluminum recycling foundry.

KG4CGC
10-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Geekspec!

WØTKX
10-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Good luck man! Take a good look at the benefits offered, sometimes it's worth more than $.

Agree with Pat, technical Jack of All Trades is a good place to be. That's what I do at my job.
Computers, networking, process control, HVAC monitoring, security, and video. Statistics too.

Just curious as far as robotics is concerned... do you have any CNC experience?
NC positioning is NC positioning no matter the device.

W3WN
10-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Good luck! Hope you get laid! (Oops, sorry, that's only for birthdays...)Now that depends on who's doing the interviewing.

There are quite a few stories on Literotica... ahem. (What? Pish tosh. I may be married, I ain't dead.)

Hope you do well on both interviews regardless.

NY3V
10-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Good Luck Paul!

N8YX
10-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Best of luck to you!

kb2crk
10-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Done with the second interview. the second one went well also. Now it is time to wait and see which one offers what.... The second one has better hours but is more diverse. The IT part is basically pulling cat 5 cable, moving computers from here to there and recovering the occasional hard drive\mother board crash. I would also be the only maintenance person on staff in a clean air conditioned printing plant. I could get used to 5 days a week like a normal person....lol

kb2crk
10-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Good luck man! Take a good look at the benefits offered, sometimes it's worth more than $.

Agree with Pat, technical Jack of All Trades is a good place to be. That's what I do at my job.
Computers, networking, process control, HVAC monitoring, security, and video. Statistics too.

Just curious as far as robotics is concerned... do you have any CNC experience?
NC positioning is NC positioning no matter the device.

No CNC experience and they did ask that at the first place. I wish I had some but it is what it is.

K7SGJ
10-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Done with the second interview. the second one went well also. Now it is time to wait and see which one offers what.... The second one has better hours but is more diverse. The IT part is basically pulling cat 5 cable, moving computers from here to there and recovering the occasional hard drive\mother board crash. I would also be the only maintenance person on staff in a clean air conditioned printing plant. I could get used to 5 days a week like a normal person....lol

Do they have green ink and paper with threads in it? I may have a deal on some plates for you.

kb2crk
10-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Do they have green ink and paper with threads in it? I may have a deal on some plates for you.

The green is not quite right for the plates you may have.......

N2NH
10-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Good luck. Hope you get laid hired.

K7SGJ
10-08-2012, 05:05 PM
The green is not quite right for the plates you may have.......

Well, I guess we can take it to Loews to have it color corrected. I wonder how well semi-gloss latex ink works?

W2NAP
10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
good luck man

N7RJD
10-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Where do I sign up for extra birthdays?

K7SGJ
10-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Where do I sign up for extra birthdays?

Unfortunately, you can't sign up yourself, your wife must do it for you. screwed again :twisted:

kb2crk
10-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok. now I have another Interview next Wednesday at another plant. This is getting interesting.

K7SGJ
10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Ok. now I have another Interview next Wednesday at another plant. This is getting interesting.

Well, you could work all three, then you don't have to decide between them.

NQ6U
10-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Well, you could work all three, then you don't have to decide between them.

Or what time to go to bed, seeing how you will be awake 24/7.

KC2UGV
10-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Same firm, different plant?

kb2crk
10-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Different firm. two auto parts manufacturers (Japanese owned) and one printing company (domestically owned). Then throw in the fact I currently work for an Indian company that used to be a Canadian company.....

K7SGJ
10-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Different firm. two auto parts manufacturers (Japanese owned) and one printing company (domestically owned). Then throw in the fact I currently work for an Indian company that used to be a Canadian company.....

I hope you noted on the resume that you have had international exposure.

kb2crk
10-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I hope you noted on the resume that you have had international exposure.

I was in Canada once when I was a kid many many years ago....

kb2crk
05-28-2020, 08:29 AM
Wow this was a long time ago. I ended up going to one of the places which was part of Toyota. I was there until 4 years ago when I moved to a new place to get away from the Japanese live for the company mentality. I have been where I am as the Maintenance department since Oct of 2016. Not a difficult job but after a couple management changes and a shitty evaluation from my most recent supervisor who just so happens to be on a different shift I decided to listen to a recruiter and take an interview. It seems the place I was leaving has had a drastic management change and have improved there benefits and pay. They are also in process of a 36 million dollar expansion. I had a virtual interview yesterday afternoon and the recruiter has already contacted me about going in to take there electrical tests. I was a mechanic last time I was there. I guess I will see on Monday with the tests and what the offer might be. this could be interesting.

N8YX
05-28-2020, 10:23 AM
Fingers crossed. It's good to see you posting again!

kb2crk
05-28-2020, 10:46 AM
I am wondering if I am nuts for considering going back somewhere I left...lol

N8YX
05-28-2020, 10:49 AM
"He won't beat me this time...he's CHANGED!"

KG4CGC
05-28-2020, 10:52 AM

You'll know soon enough if that's the case. It depends on if the head of the hydra has been killed off or not.
Don't sweat it though.

kb2crk
05-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Well is was a decent place to work when I started there. Went downhill after a Local management change. That has changed again since then. Last night I received an email from a plant manager about 3 miles from here asking if I would be interested in applying there. I interviewed and had an offer from them 5 years ago but the compensation was a bit low then. Who knows? I sure don't....

n6hcm
05-28-2020, 01:02 PM
at least you're talking to people. anywhere i would have wanted to land is now contemplating if they'll continue to exist in a recognizable form (i'm looking at faculty librarian jobs at universities) ...

kb2crk
05-28-2020, 05:40 PM
I work as a Multi-craft Industrial Technician. Part electrician, part mechanic, part millwright, part plumber, part electronics tech, sometimes robot programmer.... There are very few young people looking into the trades thinking that manual labor is below them. Well fine with me. At 53 I am still working and have recruiters chasing me down. The pay has climbed over the past 8 years substantially as the pay listed is 12 bucks an hour higher than it was back then. The health benefits have gotten a little better and stayed the same price wise where everywhere else the price has gone through the roof and coverage dropping. I am currently the only maintenance person in a 640,000 square foot distribution center. I replace 30' tall rack sections by myself as the idiots they send me to try and help would only get themselves hurt. The work is not hard but my supervisors BS has gotten old. My Supervisor has no clue as to what I do as he is the assistant manager for shipping and receiving and spends his days on second shift. I work a modified first shift because I an not to get any overtime for any reason. If I am 5 minutes late out the door in the afternoon I get an email asking why. The whole building is running 15 hours over a week but I get threatened with a write up for 5 minutes. Then I get asked why My projects are taking so long. Well I don't have enough hours in the day to get everything done that gets randomly added. Well I shall see what happens. I go back to the old place on Monday to take the electrical tests. Should be easy.

ad4mg
05-28-2020, 06:05 PM
Hey, you have choices! Good luck, dude!

W3WN
05-28-2020, 08:04 PM
Take the interview. You never know. And good luck!

March 2019, I had accepted a job working for a sub-subcontractor at Westinghouse corporate. 10 month contract to update 4000 Win 7 PCs to Win X. Waiting on clearances and piss test results. Got a call from a headhunter... contractor at the Airport needed an evening/weekend IT guy, was I interested?

interviewed a few days later. Was offered the job about 15 minutes after it ended, as I was leaving the parking area.

You never know!

WZ7U
05-29-2020, 02:03 AM
I hope it's not too late to wish luck. At our ages, sometimes luck is all we have.

Luck!

kb2vxa
05-30-2020, 05:35 AM
When you have skills currently in demand you have luck that goes with them, however a little more couldn't hurt. Good luck. Everybody needs a lucky charm, and I don't mean a box of cereal, I have one sitting atop Minya, (son of Godzilla) computer, his name is Maneki Neko.
http://frontpagemeews.com/category/pet-news/history/japanese-lucky-cat/
They're sold all over the Internet, if nothing else female family members will fall in love with this cute little kitty instantly.

kb2crk
06-01-2020, 08:33 AM
Well I am back home, My wife's grandmother passed away at 100 last weekend and the Funeral was Saturday. I took bereavement leave from work from Thursday though today. Thursday was getting everything together for the trip, Friday was the drive to Northern Indiana, Funeral Saturday and return drive to Georgia Yesterday. Using today to rest up and review some electrical theory before going in for the test with the possible new/old employer. It will be a written and practical test. Should be interesting. Most of the people I worked with have either retired or left before the current management took over. Some of the people are the same but in different roles. This should be interesting as I have not been there since I left in November of 2012.

kb2crk
06-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Just one more thing, Sorry for pulling up a Zombie thread but I thought it was fitting in this case. I have been on a few boards that block new comments on old threads requiring new ones to be started even though a question on the old one would have made life easier with background already provided.

kb2crk
06-03-2020, 07:09 AM
Well the practical test was jokingly easy. I found the 5 problems on their test board in under 15 minutes. They were impressed. I found out yesterday they are putting an offer together.
I also found out that the recruiter did not put my asking salary in put put one in that is just a little higher than what I make now. I love it when you say one thing to have negotiation room and the middle man throws it out the window and sends in something that will not do. I shall see what happens. If what I think is going to happen happens I will apologize to the HR and the interviewers there for wasting their time as I would not of bothered taking the interview if the recruiter had told me what he sent me in for. He had a number I would move for, He did not ask for that number but told me he did up until yesterday. Well we will see.

N8YX
06-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Hope it works out!

kb2crk
06-03-2020, 11:15 AM
Hope it works out!

Well it will work out either way. I was not looking when the recruiter called me. This may not be disney world and I may have to deal with stupidity here the work is not hard and the pay is decent. I will be watching for the offer but I am not expecting much after the recruiter came clean yesterday.

HUGH
06-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Would the time taken to travel to work be a factor?

kb2crk
06-05-2020, 03:38 PM
Would the time taken to travel to work be a factor?

The travel time is almost the same. I received the offer yesterday. I skipped over the recruiter and sent my declination letter right to the head of HR at the company. I explained what transpired and why I was declining. I also explained that I would not have wasted their time with the interview and testing process had the recruiter had been upfront and honest with me. I have been avoiding the phone calls from the recruiters boss today. Apparently there may be more on the table or they think they can convince me to take the offer as is. If they think they can convince me to take it as it is, I really need to know what they are toking because I could use some. On another note I was informed yesterday that I was the associate of the month at my current job. When I was told this my honest reply was "how the fuck did that happen?" That bs award usually goes to one of the supervisors pets. As I report to the same boss as the supervisors I had never considered it even being possible. Pile on top of that the fact I say how it is and don't care if someone is liked by a supervisor, If they fuck something up I call them on it. If the super tries to cover it up I put it out for all to see. I don't play workplace politics. I may give the guy a call on Monday but I am happy with the call to let it go for now. I really need to send my salary requirements and Resume in to another place. Their plant manager contacted me on Linkedin and that place is a lot closer to home than the other two. We shall see

kb2crk
06-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Well just an update. The recruiter was bullshitting me by telling me my number was acceptable. The recruiter bullshitted the company by telling them he could get me in there for a few cents more than I make now. Well he is out of luck. I was negotiable with my original number. The number he sent in was just a hair above what I make now. their offer was about what I make now. Simple choice, I am not moving jobs. I hate that I wasted my time although it was fun taking a practical test that I heard was so difficult that many Hires did not find all of the issues. I fixed all of the issues in under 15 minutes. I had an hour to find them. Although for the right money combined with getting my years of service back I would of gone back to that hot hell hole (120 Degrees F). For the same money and giving up Vacation it was not going to happen.

KG4CGC
06-13-2020, 12:55 PM
What was the slime's name?

kb2crk
06-13-2020, 02:02 PM
I have to look up his name but the company was Randstad Engineering.

koØm
06-13-2020, 03:01 PM
What was the slime's name?

Don't be so harsh on him, I once worked as a Headhunter at an employment agency after the end of a Military Contract with a well known Jet Engine maker; this was long before the internet.

All you had was the Yellow Pages and a telephone. I was the middle-man between the employer and the job seekers. We contracted between the job seeker and agency for a cut when we found them employment.

"Headhunter" gathers all info on job seeker and proceeds to cold-call every number in the Yellow Pages and pitch the job seeker to the hiring decision makers, the goal was to set up an interview between the two.

Failing that (or not), I also quizzed the employer about potential job opening needing to be filled and would then, advertise in the local classified sections the job openings that I garnered.

The smart "Headhunter" was always on the lookout for a position for themselves which, I found in an Engineering position and never looked back

kb2crk
06-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Don't be so harsh on him, I once worked as a Headhunter at an employment agency after the end of a Military Contract with a well known Jet Engine maker; this was long before the internet.

All you had was the Yellow Pages and a telephone. I was the middle-man between the employer and the job seekers. We contracted between the job seeker and agency for a cut when we found them employment.

"Headhunter" gathers all info on job seeker and proceeds to cold-call every number in the Yellow Pages and pitch the job seeker to the hiring decision makers, the goal was to set up an interview between the two.

Failing that (or not), I also quizzed the employer about potential job opening needing to be filled and would then, advertise in the local classified sections the job openings that I garnered.

The smart "Headhunter" was always on the lookout for a position for themselves which, I found in an Engineering position and never looked back

The problem here was that I was not looking for a job. This guy was looking to fill a position for a specific company. He cold called me and said he he had a great opportunity.
When he told me the location and the work schedule I told him I knew the company he was pitching as I had worked there before. He asked me what it would take to get me to leave my current position and go back there. I gave him a number that I thought he would balk at. He said, "well that is in the range Can I get a copy of your newest resume to submit?" They cold called me, Lied to me, and wasted my time. This was not the first time a recruiter contacted me about this position but it was the first time they told me my number was doable.

KG4CGC
06-13-2020, 04:27 PM
I rest my case. In today's world anything goes. Machiavellian to say the least.

W3WN
06-13-2020, 05:32 PM
I have to look up his name but the company was Randstad Engineering.
I know that name.

They’re one of recruiting companies STILL cold calling me, for jobs I’m not even remotely qualified for, 14 months after starting this new job, and 7 months since my promotion. Usually for 6 month contracts, no benefits, 100’s of miles away from home, and for less money.

sheesh.

n6hcm
06-14-2020, 02:37 AM
and this is why i do not love recruiters.

kb2crk
06-14-2020, 03:00 PM
Well I am getting calls all the time from recruiters based on old resumes on Monster or indeed. The one on Linkedin is up to date but not because I am looking but I was asked to update it by a recruiter. I have quite a few looking to get me to relocate. Well unless they are going all in for all expenses that is not going to happen. The Job I have now is one I could work to retirement ten years from now even with possible health issues that might come back. Some of the others they are trying to tell me have plenty of available overtime. That usually translates to so much overtime you wont have a life. Nope left the last Job with a Japanese auto manufacturer just for that reason.