PDA

View Full Version : Hamfest reports...Bergen Co., NJ and Wallingford, CT

W1GUH
10-07-2012, 01:12 PM
BA's in NJ:

HQ-170 $200 obo

C-Line $700 Not ,marked "obo" but probably was flexible.

Saw an Apache and an SB-1 but it was unmarked & I didn't ask -- can't use 'em (wish I could).

BA's in CT:

HRO 500: $2000
Probably a good thing I couldn't use it -- would have been sorely tempted. But I DID get to play with the knobs, for no charge. Very, very sweet!

Knight-klit Star-roameer: $90.

ICOM IC-211 (two meter multi-mode circa 1980) with the RM-2 remote microprocessor controller.

This one had me going, but, somehow, reason prevailed and I passed it up. This is a pretty rare rig, especially with the RM-2. Asking $200. Almost offered $150...but...didn't. He might have actually accepted it!

4-1000A GG Linear RF deck: $500.

Looked like a magnificent amp. Besides that great tube it had vacuum variables for the tuning and loading caps and a Johnson tank coil. Would have grabbed that immediately if I coulda used it. Sigh. Or, I coulda bought it, stripped it, cleaned up the parts, and made a profit.

Saw a Globa Scout 680. No price marked, and again, since I had no intention of buying it I didn't ask. But there was something peculiar on the front panel. There was a knob labeld "FIL GAIN". WTF? Gonna have to research this on the net.

And, as usual, the social component was a good as ever. It's always good to get out there and talk to hams in the flesh -- always makes me proud to be a ham.

Missing Deerfield next week -- going to a harvest festival in the Catskills & dunno if there'll be another fester this year.

K7SGJ
10-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Heh heh heh. He said knobs, boldly. :bbh:

kb2vxa
10-07-2012, 01:58 PM
To boldly go where no knob has gone before!

"There was a knob labeld "FIL GAIN". WTF? Gonna have to research this on the net."

No biggie, you didn't notice there is no on-off or FIL toggle switch. The mains switch is on the back of the mic gain pot the same as the on-off/volume control on an ordinary radio. No, Globe isn't quite as primitive as some early radios that varied filament voltage to control volume.

W1GUH
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks!

kb2vxa
10-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Quite welcome.

TESLA
10-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Great day today, came back home with way more junk than I need, Was great to see Paul there as well!

kb2crk
10-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Was the Bergen County hamfest the one ran by BARA? Last time I was at one of their fests was 89 at Bergen Community College....

AE1PT
10-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Great day today, came back home with way more junk than I need

That Sir, is the whole purpose of hamfesters!

Never know what you will need. And there are the winter projects. Hell, I can fill up my whole house with the stuff!!! As long as those GREEDY RAT BASTARDS with their TRUST FUNDS..........................

Oops, channeling the wrong persona... :stickpoke:

W1GUH
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Yes. It's been up in Washington Township at a school the last 3-4 years. Not as big as it once was, but still worthwhile going to for me since it's nice and close.

NQ6U
10-07-2012, 10:26 PM
That Sir, is the whole purpose of hamfesters!

Never know what you will need. And there are the winter projects. Hell, I can fill up my whole house with the stuff!!! As long as those GREEDY RAT BASTARDS with their TRUST FUNDS..........................

Oops, channeling the wrong persona... :stickpoke:

Hello.

Did you see any Bell 47 APUs while you were there? Or tacos?

kb2crk
10-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Yes. It's been up in Washington Township at a school the last 3-4 years. Not as big as it once was, but still worthwhile going to for me since it's nice and close.

I used to live in New Milford when I first got my ticket... I used to sell fishing tackle at the fest along with some other junk.

W1GUH
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Forgot a couple of things. I picked up a manual for a KWM-2 in Wallingford -- sort of a good luck charm? Something to wish on? Mebbe it'll attract a radio?

Saw an SBE-34 in Wallingford and made a mental note to go back and talk to the guy about it, but then forgot. Either that or I didn't see it again 'cuz it went fast. If the price was right I probably would've gotten it. Nice, interesting radio to play with.

Saw a Knight-Kit Star Roamer marked $90. Looked in VG to E condition.

And, back in Bergen County, a guy had a flyer for a Collins station for sale:

KWM-2, PS, & external LMO.
75S-3 (C, IIRC)
30L-1
Two Collins mics.
Cables, etc. and other misc. stuff.

Asking four grand.

W3WN
10-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Last WPA hamfest for the season will be WACOM's, down at the Washington County Fairgrounds just off I-79, on November 4th.

I plan on being there to unload some fine junque. I'll be looking for a couple of decent CPU's to build new machines for the Boss & Little Miss Field Day, though not neccesarily in that order.

Sure hope some of you guys (I almost typed "yunz", geez, after 30 years, the idioms of this place are rubbing off on me)(no, not idiots, idioms) stop by. Especially anyone with a Dentron tuner...