PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 17 Xfce

W2NAP
10-03-2012, 10:27 PM
got bored. Installed fedora xfce must say quite nice. works really good.. course im used to debian distros so the yum stuff takes a bit of getting used to.

quite impressed though. it looks so simple yet polished up.

just no idea why fedora dont have the ndiswrapper stuff in the main repos.. had to go and add the rpmfusion repos.. makes me scratch my head a bit.

W4GPL
10-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Licensing issues. Fedora aims to be 100% GPL compatible. But the rpmfusion repos are 100% compatible; it's maintained by the same people at the Fedora Project. I run Xfce on Fedora 17 as well...

W2NAP
10-03-2012, 10:34 PM
ah ok that makes sense. so far ive been pretty impressed with it. only thing im not a big fan of is the GUI add/remove software and the GUI software upgrade.

it also appears to me that fedora is more up to date on stuff then ubuntu/mint

kernel in fedora 3.5.4-2.fc17.i686 ubuntu was still using the 3.2

W4GPL
10-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Uh.. GUI software upgrade? :P Don't use it, get rid of it?

Update: yum upgrade
Find shit: yum search <keyword>
Install shit: yum install <package name>

Fedora is considered to be very bleeding edge, a technology preview for RHEL.

W2NAP
10-03-2012, 10:46 PM
yea i just used the GUI to grab the ndiswrapper files. names are dif. from the ubuntu/debian.

for the update i just opened the CLI and yum update. I did have to look up the yum commands but im good on that now. i like to see the progress of things. the GUI's just dont really do that.

W4GPL
10-03-2012, 10:50 PM
yum upgrade is going to give you more mileage than yum update -- yum upgrade handles obsoleting of packages that have been discontinued or changed. They're mostly the same command, but your best bet is running upgrade in Fedora due to the rapid changes.

W2NAP
10-04-2012, 12:51 AM
got it. actually made a sticky note on the monitor yum upgrade!

im actually amazed about this. ive gotten better network speed from fedora vs debian/ubuntu i was actually able to download a damn file at 900kb/s with debian/ubuntu i was lucky to get a peak at 450kb/s

W4GPL
10-04-2012, 01:06 AM
What wireless chipset do you have?

W2NAP
10-04-2012, 01:13 AM
marvel netgear wg311v3 have to use ndiswrapper its the best card i have. the nix supported linksys wmp54g i have is a deaf pos.

n2ize
10-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Been using Fedora here since back when it was the free (as in beer) version of Red Hat. In my opinion it's one of the best distros out there.

W2NAP
10-04-2012, 12:38 PM
yea so far im pretty happy with it.

KK4AMI
10-05-2012, 02:22 PM
yea so far im pretty happy with it.

What kind of platforms are you all using with Fedora 17. I put it on a recent but old HP with Intel Dual Core processor at work. That seemed to work fine. But, I'd like to put it on a home brew with Asus A7v8x MB, AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (I know ''old"). Somewhere I heard that AMD processors don't digest Linux very well.

W4GPL
10-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Somewhere I heard that AMD processors don't digest Linux very well.That's silly. Whoever told you that doesn't know WTF they're talking about. :)

The only thing you need to concern yourself in that circumstance is whether or not your processor is 64bit (x86_64) vs 32bit (i686). And then you need to pick the right installation CD accordingly.

W2NAP
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
im using a AMD 2.4 quad code runs just fine.

KK4AMI
10-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Great, the Penguins speak and the old man listens. Thanks! I've about stretched the limit out of using Windows 2000 anymore. I liked the way 17 worked on my work computer before I put it on the shelf to give to some kid :(

W2NAP
10-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Great, the Penguins speak and the old man listens. Thanks! I've about stretched the limit out of using Windows 2000 anymore. I liked the way 17 worked on my work computer before I put it on the shelf to give to some kid :(

well you know what to do now.... Install 17 XFCE!

been running it awhile now. been very happy with it.

KC2UGV
10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
What kind of platforms are you all using with Fedora 17. I put it on a recent but old HP with Intel Dual Core processor at work. That seemed to work fine. But, I'd like to put it on a home brew with Asus A7v8x MB, AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (I know ''old"). Somewhere I heard that AMD processors don't digest Linux very well.

Way back when, I had an issue with AMD procs. But that was circa Mandrake Linux 7 (2001 or so?). It might have been the mobo, but newsgroup postings were kvetching about AMD's being the issue at the time.

Since then? Nary a hitch.

KC2UGV
10-10-2012, 07:05 AM
yea i just used the GUI to grab the ndiswrapper files. names are dif. from the ubuntu/debian.

This is my biggest sticking point in switching between distros. But, for yum-based, "yum search foo bar" is the way to search for a package. Sometimes I get better luck being general with the yum search and using grep to narrow it down (ie "yum search gnome | grep -i nmapplet").

It's helpful that I use RHEL at work, and Mint at home, however.

n2ize
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I haven't tried Fedora 17 yet but not so long ago I installed Fedora 16 on my Dad's new Dual Code Dell desktop system. I re-partitioned the drive and set up a Linux partition. Then I proceeded with the full installation. It was one of the most perfect and flawless "out of the box" installations I have ever done. Everything worked. Video was set up perfectly, sound card working perfectly, etc. The system was fully functional without having to edit a single configuration file or apply a single config widget. Only configging I had to do was to set up some specialized features. Otherwise it was smooth sailing right out of the box.