PDA

View Full Version : Regulators shut down global PC 'tech support' scam

NY3V
10-03-2012, 04:16 PM
"The FTC announces a crackdown on a massive international computer tech support scam that allegedly swindled tens of thousands of consumers in six countries..."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57525250-38/regulators-shut-down-global-pc-tech-support-scam/?google_editors_picks=true

VK3ZL
10-03-2012, 05:26 PM
I have been receiving calls from that mob for more than a year...sometimes three times a day...We just hang up on them but they persist....Many people have been taken in by them at a cost....Just goes to show, private enterprise will use any means to make a buck....Jerks..

Bob..VK3ZL..

NQ6U
10-03-2012, 06:19 PM
I wonder if that's the bunch that used to call me up and say "I'm calling about your Windows computer." I used to mess wth their heads, sometimes kept the poor schmucks on the line for a good twenty minutes with double talk and pseudo tech jargon before they'd finally get their fill and hang up the phone.

KJ3N
10-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Don't some of you have Caller ID? Or is it that you simply can't resist picking up a ringing phone?

We don't answer anything we don't recognize. We also don't pick up any number that starts with 800, 866, 877, etc.

The voicemail system is there for a reason. Either you leave a message, or you can fuck off. ;)

XE1/N5AL
10-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Amazing! It's 2012, personal computers have been in the mainstream for many years and people still fall for these kinds of scams.

ki4itv
10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
^^^True that...

W5GA
10-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Don't some of you have Caller ID? Or is it that you simply can't resist picking up a ringing phone?

We don't answer anything we don't recognize. We also don't pick up any number that starts with 800, 866, 877, etc.

The voicemail system is there for a reason. Either you leave a message, or you can fuck off. ;)
This ^^^, especially the toll free shit.

W2NAP
10-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Amazing! It's 2012, personal computers have been in the mainstream for many years and people still fall for these kinds of scams.

you have idiots who fall for the 419 scam still!

W3WN
10-04-2012, 07:19 AM

The voicemail system is there for a reason. Either you leave a message, or you can fuck off. ;)I can. My wife can't.

She'll look at the caller ID, say "who's this?", answers the phone, and then hands it to me to deal with.

Then when I lose my temper with the telemarketer who is illegally calling (we're on the DNC list, for all the good THAT does anymore) AGAIN to try and con me into switching electric suppliers, she gets mad at me for being rude.

I love her, but sometimes, I think I need to get an unlisted wife.

KJ3N
10-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I can. My wife can't.

She'll look at the caller ID, say "who's this?", answers the phone, and then hands it to me to deal with.

Then when I lose my temper with the telemarketer who is illegally calling (we're on the DNC list, for all the good THAT does anymore) AGAIN to try and con me into switching electric suppliers, she gets mad at me for being rude.

I love her, but sometimes, I think I need to get an unlisted wife.

Here's how that works at our place:

*ring*

She looks at the Caller ID.

Me: "Unavailable, or 800 something?"

Her: "Yep"

We go back to what we were doing.

Apparently, mine's smart than yours, Ron. My sympathies. :(

KB3LAZ
10-04-2012, 09:24 AM

This ^^^, especially the toll free shit.

Those numbers are not always bunk. I had to take out one private student loan when I was in school and said company has an 800#. Calling could deal with a fluctuation in interest, a payment that for some reason was not received, etc. They have saved my butt by calling twice so far. Now, I mail out my payment much before their due date but I have had a problem twice. Once was that the payment was not there (got lost in the mail or whatnot) and the other time was that my letter got wet and the check was unreadable. In both cases I voided the check and paid electronically. Saving me a late payment.

Now, I suppose one could say, well you know their number but the thing is that it is not always the same number. ^^ Sometimes it comes up with their name and sometimes it does not.

To each their own. I dont like late payments though. xD Thankfully, by the end of 2013 I will no longer have to worry about that. I suppose at that point I can ignore all 800#s.

kf0rt
10-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Here's how that works at our place:

*ring*

She looks at the Caller ID.

Me: "Unavailable, or 800 something?"

Her: "Yep"

We go back to what we were doing.

Apparently, mine's smart than yours, Ron. My sympathies. :(

Same thing here only minus the conversation. ;)

N2CHX
10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
We don't have a home phone so this isn't an issue. However, my kids have gotten calls on their phones. They're smart enough to not answer a number they don't recognize though, especially if it's another area code. They'll come to me and say "I don't know who this is, should I answer it?" and I'll say "Nope!" and they ignore it.

W2NAP
10-04-2012, 12:08 PM
this is what you do to those numbers

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I