NY3V
10-03-2012, 01:22 PM

http://www.journalscene.com/assets/8672258/10032012MONROPA01.pdf

PA5COR
10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, there goes the neighbourhood....

KG4CGC
10-03-2012, 01:56 PM
How much was the truck purchased for at auction?

NY3V
10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
How much was the truck purchased for at auction?

Auction!

Hell, a case of moonshine and my youngest daughter! :dunno:

N2NH
10-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Too bad Jethro isn't here to see this. Hillbillies? We got some here. Nice people for the most part.

N7YA
10-03-2012, 09:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFyKFEsCeo

n2ize
10-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Too bad Jethro isn't here to see this. Hillbillies? We got some here. Nice people for the most part. 7477

You want to meet hillbillies then head up to the Adirondacks. Everywehere I was there were banjos strumming and people brewin up moonshine and shotguns being fired. Pretty wild place.

N8YX
10-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Hope and Change?

N2CHX
10-04-2012, 01:34 PM
You want to meet hillbillies then head up to the Adirondacks. Everywehere I was there were banjos strumming and people brewin up moonshine and shotguns being fired. Pretty wild place.

What? You're out of your mind. Where in the Adirondacks, because I spent a lot of my childhood there and with the exception of the last few years many weeks of my summers. Hippies outnumber hillbillies 100:1.

NQ6U
10-04-2012, 02:48 PM
What? You're out of your mind. Where in the Adirondacks, because I spent a lot of my childhood there and with the exception of the last few years many weeks of my summers. Hippies outnumber hillbillies 100:1.

Having spent some time in a rural community on the north slope of the Siskyou Mountains in southern Oregon, my take on this matter is that there is often very little difference between hippie and hillbilly.

N7YA
10-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Are you sure you dont mean the Appalachians? Or my current neighborhood?

N2CHX
10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Having spent some time in a rural community on the north slope of the Siskyou Mountains in southern Oregon, my take on this matter is that there is often very little difference between hippie and hillbilly.

These are Northeast Hippies. They're different from California Hippies.

N2CHX
10-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Are you sure you dont mean the Appalachians? Or my current neighborhood?

LOL yeah, I think Appalachians is more like it. The Adirondacks are full of artsy hippies and rich people with huge lakefront homes.

kf0rt
10-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Friendly folks who usually have decent pot?

VE7DCW
10-04-2012, 10:29 PM
These are Northeast Hippies. They're different from California Hippies.

Is that the "California" Hippies ......or the "Kalifornia" Hippies ? ....assuming a subset as suggested by you know who.......

I'm not sure if you can change the meaning of someone's social status by changing the spelling of a place into something derogatory...... :mrgreen:

NY3V
10-04-2012, 10:39 PM
LOL yeah, I think Appalachians is more like it. The Adirondacks are full of artsy hippies and rich people with huge lakefront homes.

What about the Catskills?

n2ize
10-05-2012, 01:36 AM

Depends on what part of the Adirondacks you go to. Some counties in the Adirondacks are quite poor. I have a friend who has a camp up in Old Forge. You don;t find any rich yuppies there or even any artsy hippies.. Just locals who are anything but rich. Back in the early 1990's I was hiking through Garnet lake and came across several homes along a dirt road bordering the lake and they didn't even have electricity. And this was around 1991! If they need electricity they either r have to generate it themselves or simply do things the old fashioned way. Fulton County was similar as well as several communities around Schroon lake and New Russia.

I was kidding around about the banjo's and moonshine. However you will hear the crack of a rifle or a shotgun now and then. Most of the locals I met were actually very friendly and easy going. And they are anything but rich. Most of them grew up in the area. I think the rich types with big money and huge lakefront properties or the artsy hippie types are found clustered around Lake George, Glenns Falls, and some of the more popularized areas. But when you get off the beaten trail you find locals with a long history of living up there, rednecks, woodchucks, moose, deer, elk, bears and, during the right season...blackflies.

N2NH
10-05-2012, 02:02 AM
What about the Catskills?

We got some here. You can here gunshots all the time now that hunting season has begun...

Hippies? There's plenty in New Paltz where SUNY has a college.

N7YA
10-05-2012, 05:06 AM
Depends on what part of the Adirondacks you go to. Some counties in the Adirondacks are quite poor. I have a friend who has a camp up in Old Forge. You don;t find any rich yuppies there or even any artsy hippies.. Just locals who are anything but rich. Back in the early 1990's I was hiking through Garnet lake and came across several homes along a dirt road bordering the lake and they didn't even have electricity. And this was around 1991! If they need electricity they either r have to generate it themselves or simply do things the old fashioned way. Fulton County was similar as well as several communities around Schroon lake and New Russia.

I was kidding around about the banjo's and moonshine. However you will hear the crack of a rifle or a shotgun now and then. Most of the locals I met were actually very friendly and easy going. And they are anything but rich. Most of them grew up in the area. I think the rich types with big money and huge lakefront properties or the artsy hippie types are found clustered around Lake George, Glenns Falls, and some of the more popularized areas. But when you get off the beaten trail you find locals with a long history of living up there, rednecks, woodchucks, moose, deer, elk, bears and, during the right season...blackflies.

Theres no right season for black flies.

N2CHX
10-05-2012, 07:27 AM

You do have a point about Old Forge and some other areas. I actually almost moved to Old Forge back in the early 90's when I was still young and sorta free and I lived in Little Falls and Dolgeville for a few years, which if you don't know, is just a smidge south of the park border. The way you made it sound though, these people are like southern hillbillies and quite frankly, as you clarified, nothing could be further from the truth. I lived down south too, in Southwest Virginia and I traveled all over the place down there, including to many remote places on hilltops that accommodated transmitter sites. Same as when I lived in Little Falls, because I always worked on transmitters. There's definitely a huge difference between a southern hillbilly and an Adirondacker, despite their both being able to live off the land.

n2ize
10-05-2012, 10:49 AM
You do have a point about Old Forge and some other areas. I actually almost moved to Old Forge back in the early 90's when I was still young and sorta free and I lived in Little Falls and Dolgeville for a few years, which if you don't know, is just a smidge south of the park border. The way you made it sound though, these people are like southern hillbillies and quite frankly, as you clarified, nothing could be further from the truth. I lived down south too, in Southwest Virginia and I traveled all over the place down there, including to many remote places on hilltops that accommodated transmitter sites. Same as when I lived in Little Falls, because I always worked on transmitters. There's definitely a huge difference between a southern hillbilly and an Adirondacker, despite their both being able to live off the land.

Indeed I fully agree. I haven't been to rural / remote Alaska or Canada's Yukon territory yet but I must say the Adirondack region is probably one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen east of the Mississippi. I particularly love the boreal pine forests that seem to stretch on forever speckled with white birch trees. I particularly loved my day hikes along the Boreas River and along Elk Lake shadowed by the higher peaks. The views both far and short were breathtaking. Late one afternoon I got stuck and had to camp along a trail because I underestimated how fast darkness falls in such a forest shadowed by mountains. Also I meandered too long along the way mesmerized by the scenery. But within a matter of minutes I could no longer see the trail much less find my way back to the trail head. That night this city boy learned what a great fire starter is white birch bark. Oh and speaking of being a city boy, when I would mention to some of the local people that I am "from the city" they assumed I meant Glenns Falls, or maybe Albany or possibly Quebec. They were surprised when I told them, no, I mean "the city" as in New York City. :-D In any event all the local people I met up there were very friendly and would always engage in conversation.

N2NH
10-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Theres no right season for black flies.

Which is why I didn't move there. Those black flies are famous. Stunningly beautiful countryside though. You can take Amtraks Adirondack from New York through the area and it is an incredible ride most of the way to the Canadian border.

The big picture 1 (http://i46.tinypic.com/jkajr9.jpg)

http://i50.tinypic.com/2801uee.jpg

W4RLR
10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Hmmm, looks like some of my neighbors down in the holler...then again go back three generations to Calhoun County, Alabama and those folks look a lot like my kin!

n2ize
10-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Which is why I didn't move there. Those black flies are famous. Stunningly beautiful countryside though. You can take Amtraks Adirondack from New York through the area and it is an incredible ride most of the way to the Canadian border.

The big picture 1 (http://i46.tinypic.com/jkajr9.jpg)

http://i50.tinypic.com/2801uee.jpg
The train is nice, I've been on it, but you haven't experienced the Adirondacks until you've physically walked the trails. The black flies can be pests but it is worth the bother. Actually I have found them less annoying than NYC mosquitos. And most of the year they aren't a problem. An Adirondack winter is spectacular as well. However, with global warming most Adirondackers are saying the winters ain;t nothin like they used to be. To which I tell them... It's just a natural cycle.;) LAF GRAFS anyone ??

WØTKX
10-05-2012, 08:08 PM
http://youtu.be/UVUi8ZIPK7M

http://youtu.be/UVUi8ZIPK7M

kb2vxa
10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
New Jersey has hillbillies both north and south but none in between. Out in the Pine Barrens they're appropriately called Pineys who keep the legend of the Jersey Devil alive because they do NOT want to be disturbed. Up north in the Ramapo Mountains is another legendary tribe, the Jackson Whites. http://weirdnj.com/weird-news/jackson-whites/ Strange, Jackson is in central Jersey but I digress. That's another bunch that doesn't want to be disturbed so they play Deliverance to the hilt and much to the dismay of the Pineys keep the Jersey Devil as breeding stock.

Then in the Southwestern US the Calvary found the original Misfits not on an island but in the desert, the Hekawis. Not exactly hillbillies but they fit the profile. Their chief best described how they got their name.

From F Troop "Reunion for O'Rourke," Season 1, March 8, 1966
Agarn: "How did the Hekawis get their name?"
Wild Eagle: "Glad you asked. Many moons ago, tribe leave Massachussetts because Pilgrims ruin neighborhood. Tribe travel west, over stream, over river, over mountain, over mountain, over river, over stream. Then come big day. Tribe fall over cliff. That when Hekawi get name. Medicine man say to my ancestor, 'I think we lost. Where the heck are we?'"

N7YA
10-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Ill take black flies and skeeters all day over living here any more than the time we have allotted.

N2NH
10-07-2012, 02:51 AM
The train is nice, I've been on it, but you haven't experienced the Adirondacks until you've physically walked the trails. The black flies can be pests but it is worth the bother. Actually I have found them less annoying than NYC mosquitos. And most of the year they aren't a problem. An Adirondack winter is spectacular as well. However, with global warming most Adirondackers are saying the winters ain;t nothin like they used to be. To which I tell them... It's just a natural cycle.;) LAF GRAFS anyone ??

The sprit is willing, but the legs aren't what they used ta be. I wouldn't mind walking the trails but the nerve damage in my legs sez otherwise. I do miss going on long walks like I used to but The Adirondack isn't a bad alternative. The Hudson Valley is really incredible. I saw it on North by Northwest and fell in love with it. Just going to the end of the Hudson Line on Metro North is a great ride in itself. A bit less expensive than Amtrak if you go off peak.

n2ize
10-07-2012, 01:50 PM
The sprit is willing, but the legs aren't what they used ta be. I wouldn't mind walking the trails but the nerve damage in my legs sez otherwise. I do miss going on long walks like I used to but The Adirondack isn't a bad alternative. The Hudson Valley is really incredible. I saw it on North by Northwest and fell in love with it. Just going to the end of the Hudson Line on Metro North is a great ride in itself. A bit less expensive than Amtrak if you go off peak.

I hear you. I am in a similar situation. I have mild arthritis in my knees which makes can make walking rough at times unless I take some Ibuprofen or Voltaren (diclofenac) at least 12 hours in advance. But I don't like to use those medications very often. I also need to shed some pounds if I plan on doing any future long range hiking.

far as radio goes when I used to go hiking in Columbia county I could be heard from time to time on the Mount Greylock repeater (in Massachusetts). There was a cliff in East Chatham where you could see for miles and miles, you could see Albany in the distance and beyond into the foothills of the Adirondacks. Then, turning south west you could see the fringes of the Catskills way off on the horizon. Needless to say VHF and UHF propagation was awesome from there. When I was further north into the Adirondacks I would occasionally talk into the Mt. Equinox repeater (in Vermonte). It pretty much covered the entire area. I used to go up that way often and a lot of hams in upstate NY, Massachusetts, Vermont, etc. got to know me as if I were a local.