PDA

View Full Version : Pigway ?

n2ize
10-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Isn't there supposed to be a supermarket called "Pigway" or "Pigways" or some name along those lines? It's supposedly a chain of stores in the south or west or some part of the country. Does it sound familiar ?

W2NAP
10-01-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.pigglywiggly.com/

kf0rt
10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah, Piggly Wiggly. Don't think I've ever seen them here, but there used to be one up by where we vacation in South Dakota many years ago.

W4GPL
10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Hmm. I thought they got bought out by WinnDixie..

W4GPL
10-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Wikipedia confirms I just don't know WTF I'm talking about.. carry on.

I guess I got that misconception from the fact all the local Piggly Wiggly's in my hometown became WinnDixie, but that must have been a local owner who switched franchises...

W5GA
10-01-2012, 03:37 PM
When I was a kid they were up in Minneapolis too.

n2ize
10-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Okay, thanks... PiggyWiggly... That's the name I was thinking of . It came up in a conversation and I couldn't think of the name.

When I was down in So. Carolina I remember "Publix". Publix was great. Not only were the big but they sold so many great products and brands that don;t sell up here. That was one thing I loved about the south. Much better supermarkets, bigger, cleaner, and more variety. Although I must admit, many of the supermarkets up this way are beginning to shape up and offer more interesting things. Like this one supermarket nearby that makes awesome roast chickens. Already cooked, seasoned, and ready to eat. And just about as good as I can make at home.

W4GPL
10-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Publix is still by far the best grocery store I've ever gone to... I've never found one to rival it.

KC9ECI
10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
PW showed up in this area a few years ago. Bunch of local IGAs switched over to the PW brand. A few months ago, they all changed again, call themselves 'Our Town' and sell some cheap Food Club brand.

K7SGJ
10-01-2012, 04:49 PM

I guess I got that misconception from the fact all the local Piggly Wiggly's in my hometown became WinnDixie, but that must have been a local owner who switched franchises...

I thought they changed the name to Maxwells. The ball's in your court, Bob.

NA4BH
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
That poor persecuted little PIG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDni6Bopzo).

K7SGJ
10-01-2012, 05:19 PM
That poor persecuted little PIG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDni6Bopzo).

Thanks, I knew I could count on you.

NA4BH
10-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks, I knew I could count on you.

At your service. PIG HATER

kf0rt
10-01-2012, 06:58 PM

The one up in Custer, SD is now a Lynn's Dakotamart. Small town, small store -- I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a Piggly Wiggly up there since the early 70's. Dakotamart appears to be a small chain limited to SD. Nothing like the megastores around Denver, but they always seem to have what's needed (including a fairly well stocked liquor section, where the HS girl behind the counter has to fetch some "adult help" to sell you a beer).

KC9ECI
10-01-2012, 07:10 PM
That always slays me here too when the kid has to go ask an adult if it's OK to sell the elderly guy with gray hair and a limp a box of beer.

W3WN
10-01-2012, 07:24 PM
That always slays me here too when the kid has to go ask an adult if it's OK to sell the elderly guy with gray hair and a limp a box of beer.Oh, quit kvetching.

It's only been in the last few months that Pennsylvania supermarkets are permitted to sell beer in the store -- but only if they have a restaurant within the store, only within certain hours, has to be rung up separately, and other silly-assed restrictions.

Let's not even discuss the multi-million dollar 2 year debacle in which they tried to install automatic wine kiosks -- in other words, vending machines -- in the same stores. Half the time or more, if the machines worked, they'd charge your account but fail to vend the booze!

kf0rt
10-01-2012, 07:30 PM
That always slays me here too when the kid has to go ask an adult if it's OK to sell the elderly guy with gray hair and a limp a box of beer.

Have we met, Tom? :rofl:

Yeah, kind of hilarious. I usually gravitate towards the lines with the younger cashiers because they're usually faster. Doesn't work when beer is involved and the cashier is under 21.

Been awhile since I was "carded" though.

W4GPL
10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
No self respecting person in Colorado buys grocery store beer anyway. 3.2%.. *bleech*

KC9ECI
10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Last time I was carded was at a Hooters about 2 years ago. Popped in with my wife, my two daughters, and a grandaughter. I ordered a tasty alcoholic beverage and the waitress attempted to card me. I changed my order to just a glass of water. I didn't tip. I don't believe in rewarding stupid.

KG4CGC
10-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Last time I was carded was at a Hooters about 2 years ago. Popped in with my wife, my two daughters, and a grandaughter. I ordered a tasty alcoholic beverage and the waitress attempted to card me. I changed my order to just a glass of water. I didn't tip. I don't believe in rewarding stupid.

LOL! Yes!

W2NAP
10-01-2012, 07:57 PM

hell yea.

this whole carding crap is bullshit anyway. i say if someone wants to buy booze let them have at it.

KC9ECI
10-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I haven't been back either. Sort of like one of the bars in town here. Used to go there every Friday like clockwork for breakfast. Bartender cut me off one Friday because the owner had been selling my table gin and juice by the pitcher and she was pissed about it. As soon as he left, she flexed her muscle. I've never been back.

suddenseer
10-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Last time I was carded was at a Hooters about 2 years ago. Popped in with my wife, my two daughters, and a grandaughter. I ordered a tasty alcoholic beverage and the waitress attempted to card me. I changed my order to just a glass of water. I didn't tip. I don't believe in rewarding stupid.Hooters girls are not always esteemed for their brains. However, the young lady could have been terminated not following the anal company policy of her employer. To wit: ask for age verification from a person that may appear to be over 40. Blow a tip, piss you off, keep her demeaning job. Everyone wins!

kf0rt
10-01-2012, 08:14 PM
No self respecting person in Colorado buys grocery store beer anyway. 3.2%.. *bleech*

That's the truth. We're now allowed inside liquor stores on Sunday, though. That's a relatively new development. Oh, and can now buy booze on election day -- wasn't so long ago that was illegal. These days, it's a friggin' requirement.

n2ize
10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
hell yea.

this whole carding crap is bullshit anyway. i say if someone wants to buy booze let them have at it.

You are aware that law enforcement will try to entrap people into serving booze to a minor. That said it should be obvious that some people are of age to buy it. But I have heard of several occaisions where people in their 60's and 70's have been carded.

W3WN
10-01-2012, 11:03 PM
You are aware that law enforcement will try to entrap people into serving booze to a minor. That said it should be obvious that some people are of age to buy it. But I have heard of several occaisions where people in their 60's and 70's have been carded.I witnessed that once.

Back when I lived in State College, the college club was asked to provide communications for a race called the Phi Psi 500 (slogan, at the time: Can you drink 6 beers in 6 bars in 6 minutes?). I was stationed outside a bar called the Rathskellar.

Of course, the bouncers had their hands full, between the racers, the helpers, the student onlookers, and especially the alumni. Everyone obviously under 30 is being checked. Everyone.

Well, one wise-ass alum, clearly in his late 50's or older, jokes with the bouncer "going to card me too?" Not a good time to joke... there was a Pa Liquor Control Board agent inside, watching -- and waiting for the wrong person to get passed through (they were, and are, real pissants about that). So the bouncer has no choice but to politely say "I'm sorry sir, we're carding everyone today. May I see your ID?"

Turned out the jackass didn't have it on him.

Bouncer didn't let him in.

Jackass's wife did have her ID... and he did let her in. Jackass was pissed as hell, too. Last I saw of him, he had just left the establishment, and was having a long conversation across the street with two men in blue uniforms...

W4RLR
10-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Hmm. I thought they got bought out by WinnDixie..No, but Winn-Dixie got bought out by Bi-Lo. As far as I know Bi-Lo is neither owned by Lindsay Lohan or owned by a group of people who swing both ways.

There's a Piggly-Wiggly in Monteagle, a bit higher prices than the grocery stores in Jasper or Kimball. My cheapest groceries are at the Air Force Commissary at Arnold AFB. But for the things a small commissary does not stock, I go to Publix, a store that I share Jeff's opinion of, having grown up with their products. I remember when Publix was closed on Sundays because the founder, George Jenkins, was a devout churchgoing man. The reason that Publix is so good with customer service is that nearly everyone who works there is an owner, it being the largest employee-owned grocery store in the country. Since I have to go to Chattanooga every Monday to put my wife's paycheck in the credit union, I stop at the Publix just up the road from the credit union for the deli and the pharmacy. They dispense antibiotics and oral diabetic medications free of charge with a doctor's prescription.

KC2UGV
10-02-2012, 07:40 AM
You are aware that law enforcement will try to entrap people into serving booze to a minor. That said it should be obvious that some people are of age to buy it. But I have heard of several occaisions where people in their 60's and 70's have been carded.

As they should. Discrimination is a sword that cuts both ways. Don't want to be discriminated against because you're old? Ok, so we apply all the laws equally, even carding for age.

n2ize
10-02-2012, 07:47 AM
As they should. Discrimination is a sword that cuts both ways. Don't want to be discriminated against because you're old? Ok, so we apply all the laws equally, even carding for age.
I agree. And while I have never been carded for alcohol purchases I have no objection to it I have no problem showing my drivers license or date of birth.

I remember one night I was walking past a liquor store in Manhattan and these three youths approached me with money to ask if I would go in and buy a bottle for them. I responded, "Sorry I cannot do that". Last thing I would need is to pass them a bottle and then have the cops slap the cuffs on me for supplying booze to a minor.

W2NAP
10-02-2012, 10:45 AM
i say fuck the carding shit. if someone wants to buy the crap let them.

those "underage" are going to drink anyway.

W4GPL
10-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Last time I was carded was at a Hooters about 2 years ago. Popped in with my wife, my two daughters, and a grandaughter. I ordered a tasty alcoholic beverage and the waitress attempted to card me. I changed my order to just a glass of water. I didn't tip. I don't believe in rewarding stupid.In some states it's a requirement that you're carded, no matter how old you look. Don't punish people for adhering to state law or corporate policy.

KC9ECI
10-02-2012, 11:54 AM
In some states it's a requirement that you're carded, no matter how old you look. Don't punish people for adhering to state law or corporate policy.

It isn't a State or local law here, it's just plain corporate stupidity.

W4GPL
10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
And you punished the poor waitress for doing her job?

W2NAP
10-02-2012, 11:59 AM
In some states it's a requirement that you're carded, no matter how old you look. Don't punish people for adhering to state law or corporate policy.

as far as i see things the whole carding people is just stupid. lets have some real freedom. if some 16 year old wants to drink with his buds at his house. let'em if he wants to buy the booze let'em (which also saves dads supply getting raided)

I dont drink myself period. dont like it. but the thing i have found stupid with the whole thing is this.. you can vote at 18. you can go die in Iraq at 18. you can get married at 18. but cant drink till 21? pretty bloody sad if you ask me

KG4CGC
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
as far as i see things the whole carding people is just stupid. lets have some real freedom. if some 16 year old wants to drink with his buds at his house. let'em if he wants to buy the booze let'em (which also saves dads supply getting raided)

I dont drink myself period. dont like it. but the thing i have found stupid with the whole thing is this.. you can vote at 18. you can go die in Iraq at 18. you can get married at 18. but cant drink till 21? pretty bloody sad if you ask me

Because lawmakers use science when it suits their agenda and when it doesn't, they scream religious persecution.

KG4CGC
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Oops. Well, it was turning polly-tic-cular.

n2ize
10-02-2012, 01:44 PM
i say fuck the carding shit. if someone wants to buy the crap let them.

those "underage" are going to drink anyway.
What is wrong with carding to assure that alcohol is sold to mature persons. Let's say that we were to legalize marijuana, cocaine, opium, or heroin tomorrow. Would you want your 9 year old son of daughter to buy all the heroin he can ? Don't you think that sales should at very least be limited to adults who are...hopefully...mature enough to understand that what they are buying carries potential risks ? So why not with alcohol ? Allcohol is basically a drug. I don;t think the government should tell you what you can or cannot buy, possess, or put into your body. At the same time I have no problem with requiring age identification with regards to the purchase of drugs, or in this case, alcohol.

KG4NEL
10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I don;t think the government should tell you what you can or cannot buy, possess, or put into your body. At the same time I have no problem with requiring age identification with regards to the purchase of drugs, or in this case, alcohol.

If it's not controlled in some way (which brings in who can have it and when), how can you control what ages have access?

KG4CGC
10-02-2012, 01:58 PM
What is wrong with carding to assure that alcohol is sold to mature persons. Let's say that we were to legalize marijuana, cocaine, opium, or heroin tomorrow. Would you want your 9 year old son of daughter to buy all the heroin he can ? Don't you think that sales should at very least be limited to adults who are...hopefully...mature enough to understand that what they are buying carries potential risks ? So why not with alcohol ? Allcohol is basically a drug. I don;t think the government should tell you what you can or cannot buy, possess, or put into your body. At the same time I have no problem with requiring age identification with regards to the purchase of drugs, or in this case, alcohol.

The local FOX affiliate is reporting on Cheba Chews, A marijuana candy produced in one or two of the medical marijuana states. The claim is that even though no one in the area (including law enforcement) has reported seeing any of it in the area, you better be on the look out that your kids aren't using them. Then they added, "and with Halloween just around the corner." So, a hysteria has been created in the area with no evidence to back it up other than that in Colorado and California, Cheba Chews are available to adults with a prescription.

KG4NEL
10-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I haven't been back either. Sort of like one of the bars in town here. Used to go there every Friday like clockwork for breakfast. Bartender cut me off one Friday because the owner had been selling my table gin and juice by the pitcher and she was pissed about it. As soon as he left, she flexed her muscle. I've never been back.

If she gets pissed at decisions the owner makes, she's not going to be employed there for very long, methinks...

n2ize
10-02-2012, 02:04 PM
The local FOX affiliate is reporting on Cheba Chews, A marijuana candy produced in one or two of the medical marijuana states. The claim is that even though no one in the area (including law enforcement) has reported seeing any of it in the area, you better be on the look out that your kids aren't using them. Then they added, "and with Halloween just around the corner." So, a hysteria has been created in the area with no evidence to back it up other than that in Colorado and California, Cheba Chews are available to adults with a prescription.

Why do they call them "cheba chews" if its marijuana. To my best knowledge "cheba" generally refers heroin, in particular to that west coast/mexican brown/black tar heroin. Unlike the "white stuff" in this part of the world.

KG4CGC
10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Why do they call them "cheba chews" if its marijuana. To my best knowledge "cheba" generally refers heroin, in particular to that west coast/mexican brown/black tar heroin. Unlike the "white stuff" in this part of the world.

I don't know. Let's ask Mr. Owl.

NA4BH
10-02-2012, 02:14 PM
http://www.eltonodelavoz.com/archivo/www.cubaencuentro.com/var/cubaencuentro.com/storage/images/media/imagenes/chupa-chups/392349-1-esl-ES/chupa-chups.gif

W4GPL
10-02-2012, 02:21 PM
The local FOX affiliate is reporting on Cheba ChewsIt's good stuff, will knock you on your ass! :) ... I've heard.

KG4CGC
10-02-2012, 02:29 PM
It's good stuff, will knock you on your ass! :) ... I've heard.

"It's not in our area but what about the children?
What about the gd children?"

I saw the trailer to the story earlier in the day and they were showing bits of a youtube video with a skinny, unshaven young man dressed in camo, breaking apart a tootsie roll looking think and the anchors voice in the background giving the impression that the man in the video was giving them out to area kids. No. It was just a guy talking about his Cheba Chew on youtube but since he didn't look like a clean cut gentleman ... etc etc etc. Then in the story adding the whole "Halloween's just around the corner." Cops in Tenn and NC being interviewed saying that they haven't seen it in the area. I think they are planting the seeds in the minds of kids to find a way to have someone bring it in the area as part of a larger plot to defame MM in MM states.

n2ize
10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't know. Let's ask Mr. Owl.
I don't know if I can trust Mr. owl. I don;t know if I can trust anyone who doesn't enjoy getting high. Oh wait, Mr. owl is always high. Or am I thinking of someone else ? :-D

KG4CGC
10-02-2012, 02:57 PM
From exposure to modern pop culture over the last 20 years, I have heard reference to ''cheba'' to mean heroin and high grade marijuana. In a 20/20 report 10 years ago, they followed a group of high school kids for a month who were buying capsules filled with black tar heroin that was hand rubbed with marijuana flowers and it was called cheba. That was the only time I ever heard of that.

KG4NEL
10-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't know if I can trust Mr. owl. I don;t know if I can trust anyone who doesn't enjoy getting high. Oh wait, Mr. owl is always high. Or am I thinking of someone else ? :-D

I've never made it without biting.

n2ize
10-02-2012, 03:16 PM
From exposure to modern pop culture over the last 20 years, I have heard reference to ''cheba'' to mean heroin and high grade marijuana. In a 20/20 report 10 years ago, they followed a group of high school kids for a month who were buying capsules filled with black tar heroin that was hand rubbed with marijuana flowers and it was called cheba. That was the only time I ever heard of that.

In NYC "heroin" is refereed to as "dope". Now I have heard people from the west coast call it "cheba", particularly in reference to that brown tar that comes from Mexico. But drug slang, like most slang vernacular, was always quite varied and can mean different things from region to region, time to time.

n2ize
10-02-2012, 03:22 PM
"It's not in our area but what about the children?
What about the gd children?"

I saw the trailer to the story earlier in the day and they were showing bits of a youtube video with a skinny, unshaven young man dressed in camo, breaking apart a tootsie roll looking think and the anchors voice in the background giving the impression that the man in the video was giving them out to area kids. No. It was just a guy talking about his Cheba Chew on youtube but since he didn't look like a clean cut gentleman ... etc etc etc. Then in the story adding the whole "Halloween's just around the corner." Cops in Tenn and NC being interviewed saying that they haven't seen it in the area. I think they are planting the seeds in the minds of kids to find a way to have someone bring it in the area as part of a larger plot to defame MM in MM states.

They have to turn the tide of the nation against marijuana, medical or recreational, and any form of drug law reform, decriminalization or legalization. And what better way to do it than to establish a threat. Even if no such threat exists. Better yet, make it a threat to the children. Scare the hell out of people. Convince them that that innocent looking tootsie roll, or that sweet lollipop is laced with some evil deadly powerful killer narcotic that will turn their kids into hopeless zombified junkies and then will ultimately kill them. Make some law enforcement videos regarding this non-existant threat and hopefully you'll stirr a frenzy. The children !! THINK OF THE CHILDREN !!!!

KG4NEL
10-02-2012, 03:24 PM
http://cdn.weinterrupt.com/wp-content/uploads/eatthe.jpg

n2ize
10-02-2012, 03:32 PM
If it's not controlled in some way (which brings in who can have it and when), how can you control what ages have access?

[/COLOR]

You control it with respect to age.

KG4CGC
10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Jenkem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkem More BS'd hyped up shit, literally, over nothing. A sheriff in Kentucky made the whole story up and got it out in the media to hype up his cause and his department. There is no jenkem, never was. Local news affiliates trumped up the story as well creating panic in ignorant parents and parent's groups. Naturally, jenkem was being found everywhere and everybody was doing it. No, they were not but there was a news story in Tenn or Kentucky where they interviewed an mother and son who shared jenkem together. The story was false but it sold commercial air time and the local LEs got their budgets increased.

I also recall when a representative from Mississippi said that salvia was "The New Marijuana" and how it was making kids have sex and do whatever else. There is nothing recreational about salvia. Most people who have tried it once, won't do it again. Of course since some kid tried it, he was freaked out and scared. He thought he died.

KG4NEL
10-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Tree octopuses.