PDA

View Full Version : Fall Foliage Season is Here

N2NH
09-28-2012, 10:20 AM
The leaves are beginning to change here and leaves are starting to fall. Not even October and the fall foliage season is here. It's probably a month or more before that happens in the city. About 10% of the trees here are orange already. I guess we'll have to be on the lookout for critters trying to come in for the winter...

http://www.denning.us/image/John-Oct08-FallColor600x400.jpg

NY Foliage Report (http://fallgetaways.iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html)

New England Report (http://www.yankeefoliage.com/new-england-foliage-maps/)

NA4BH
09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Beautiful

n2ize
09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
The leaves are beginning to change here and leaves are starting to fall. Not even October and the fall foliage season is here. It's probably a month or more before that happens in the city. About 10% of the trees here are orange already. I guess we'll have to be on the lookout for critters trying to come in for the winter...

NY Foliage Report (http://fallgetaways.iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html)

New England Report (http://www.yankeefoliage.com/new-england-foliage-maps/)

At the rate things are going here they might stay green down here all winter. Matter of fact we may start seeing more palms and cypress trees springing up soon.

ki4itv
09-28-2012, 10:57 AM
It's gonna be coming up beautiful in Virginni soon.
Sometimes this state is beyond breathtaking when you take the time to look. :yes:
I really love it here.

NQ6U
09-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Trees look pretty much the same all year round in these parts. Kind of boring but, on the other hand, I don't ever have to shovel snow either.

ki4itv
09-28-2012, 11:12 AM
^^^Yah, we're a little overdue for a serious winter.
Not looking forward to that.

PA5COR
09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
All trees still green here, it'll take another 4 to 8 weeks before the leaves turn brown and fall....

KG4CGC
09-28-2012, 01:08 PM
The years that the trees here turn colors other than brown are few and far between. As a child, I remember looking out from a vantage point on the vast expanses of forests and standing there amazed at the rolling hills of gum drops as far as the eye could see.

w2amr
09-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Still pretty much green in south joisey.

kb2vxa
09-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Up here a few clicks northeast of you the sycamores lead the way and this year no different.

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the trees
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
That summer will be gone
If your daylight time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start lookin'
Or you'll miss it again
For the leaves they are a-changin'.

I just knew Bobby would come in handy one day and the day is today.

KC9ECI
09-28-2012, 04:46 PM
I prefer to think of it as wife bitching at me to rake the yard while I explain to her that she can't burn them season.

KG4NEL
09-28-2012, 04:54 PM
It's gonna be coming up beautiful in Virginni soon.
Sometimes this state is beyond breathtaking when you take the time to look. :yes:
I really love it here.

I lived in the mountains for 5 years, and I don't think I paid attention to the trees changing color once.

The constant wind from October to April, on the other hand :lol:

N7YA
09-28-2012, 05:47 PM
The shipped-in, strategically placed trees in Las Vegas never change. Im really looking forward to moving in 2 years.

n2ize
09-28-2012, 06:01 PM
^^^Yah, we're a little overdue for a serious winter.

Not looking forward to that.
I am. I no longer like humid mild weather. I like the cold, the wind, and the short days. But like it or not we need a good cold winter. Not necessarily a ton of snow but at least a solid covering of a few inches of snow and cold temps for several weeks. Helps trim down the population of some of the pests.... A stretch of cold weather may not please many people but from a nature standpoint it can be a good thing. Oh, one other advantage of cold weather. it keeps pesky nosey neighbors indoors...:). It's also the best type weather for putting up antennas. Don't know why, it just is.

kb2vxa
09-29-2012, 05:56 PM
You answered your own question. Here, let's put things in order. It's also the best type weather for putting up antennas. It keeps pesky nosey neighbors indoors.

KC9ECI
09-29-2012, 08:24 PM
You answered your own question. Here, let's put things in order. It's also the best type weather for putting up antennas. It keeps pesky nosey neighbors indoors.

My neighbors generally don't bother me. I know at least one of them knows in no uncertain terms how I feel about him.

N2NH
09-29-2012, 08:44 PM
At the rate things are going here they might stay green down here all winter. Matter of fact we may start seeing more palms and cypress trees springing up soon.

I know that the leaves didn't fall off until mid-November in SoHo and some trees were actually sprouting by mid-February. Amazing. When I was 5, leaves turned and fell by late September and did not sprout again until the 2nd week of May. 3½ months in 1958 has turned into 9 months in 2012.

N7YA
09-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Yep, same here...still just under 100f in the daytime. 20 years ago, i could already see my breath at night.

Natural cycles. :yes:

N2NH
09-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Yep, same here...still just under 100f in the daytime. 20 years ago, i could already see my breath at night.

Natural cycles. :yes:

I remember going to North Central Massachussetts on Christmas Eve in 1970. The snow was up to the top of my Trailways bus, about 10 feet deep. As of a few years ago, they were having winter seasons with as little as 2 feet of snow.

n2ize
09-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I know that the leaves didn't fall off until mid-November in SoHo and some trees were actually sprouting by mid-February. Amazing. When I was 5, leaves turned and fell by late September and did not sprout again until the 2nd week of May. 3½ months in 1958 has turned into 9 months in 2012.

Yeah but John check your nearest LAF Graf. It's just a natural cycle.. :snicker::snicker::lol:

NQ6U
09-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Yeah but John check your nearest LAF Graf. It's just a natural cycle.. :snicker::snicker::lol:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/Square-wheels.jpg

N2NH
09-30-2012, 11:28 AM

Yeh. Texas is going through record drought interspersed with floods and fires. But it's just a natural cycle. This stuff was happening when the norsemen came to Vineland. Then again, there were few living in Texas at that time... so Who The F--- Knows??:squint::nuts::lol:

n2ize
09-30-2012, 12:50 PM
According to the local forecast we will be back in spring/summer next week. Mostly 70's and showers. And I am still using fans and air conditioners. Decades ago it was very rare that I would ever run an air conditioner in late September. These days it's not uncommon to run the ac right through most of October.

NQ6U
09-30-2012, 02:14 PM
According to the local forecast we will be back in spring/summer next week.

They're predicting triple-digit temps for the Islets during the first half of next week. I'm really looking forward to that.

KG4CGC
09-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Yeh. Texas is going through record drought interspersed with floods and fires. But it's just a natural cycle. This stuff was happening when the norsemen came to Vineland. Then again, there were few living in Texas at that time... so Who The F--- Knows??:squint::nuts::lol:

Ancient Japanese pottery found off the coast of Chile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdivia_culture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_trans-oceanic_contact_hypotheses

n2ize
10-01-2012, 02:19 AM
They're predicting triple-digit temps for the Islets during the first half of next week. I'm really looking forward to that.

Do you normally get triple digits this late in the season. If not then it's just a natural cycle.

PA5COR
10-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Watching the trees i see the first leavs turn yellow/brown now, in the next weeks i'll better clean up outside if the leaves come down...

NQ6U
10-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Do you normally get triple digits this late in the season. If not then it's just a natural cycle.

Nope. The first half of September is typically the hottest time of year in California but it usually starts cooling off by now. Temps in the 80s are not uncommon in early October but not 100°+.

n2ize
10-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Nope. The first half of September is typically the hottest time of year in California but it usually starts cooling off by now. Temps in the 80s are not uncommon in early October but not 100°+.

Well, during the middle of this week we're gonna be seeing temps in the high 70's to around 80. While it does happen from time to time it is well above average, The normal for this time of year is about 68. I suspect we will have a long and very mild winter this year. The stinkbugs will love it.