PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5

W3WN
09-28-2012, 08:53 AM
The sales, marketing, and executive staffs at my company have had PDA's of one sort or another for years.

For the last 4 - 5 years or so, they've been using Blackberry's. However, due to various problems with RIM, the BES server, and the current telephone provider (Sprint, I believe), we started the switch to the new iPhone 5 as of this morning.

It hasn't gone easy.

For one thing, Verizon screwed up. We were supposed to have 48 delivered, pre-configured, and pretty much ready to go except for some customization. We got 48. They weren't preconfigured right or at all. My boss and KB3ERQ basically spent all day yesterday cooped up in a conference room with 2 Verizon tech's getting that sorted out.

So this morning, they're trying to start distributing the things. Because the preconfig wasn't done right, on every phone deployment, a call has to be made to Verizon tech support to get certain features activated. Every call goes to a different person and possibly a different call center, so there's a 5 minute explanation as to why the call is being made and who is calling. Sometimes a call has to be terminated and restarted because the person on Verizon's end either doesn't understand what's going on, or wants to follow a script and not do what our guys were told to tell them to do.

And it doesn't help that every phone requires an iTunes account in order to use the Apple store, so that we can purchase apps for them. Some of our users don't have iTunes accounts; others have personal ones that they want to tie to the business phone; and some don't want to share their personal accounts with the business phone.

It's all convinced me of one thing: I don't need one, and I don't want one!

K7SGJ
09-28-2012, 09:53 AM
I also heard that many users are pissed about the SNAFU with the maps app. On the news this AM, Apple issued an apology and said they are workin as fast as possible to correct it. Maybe they should have stayed with Google maps till they got it right. Since I don't use a smart phone, it really doesn't matter much. When the company I worked for switched over to all Blackberry, it was a major clusterfu(k. I hope yours goes smoother, although it doesn't sound like it's starting out that way.

KG4CGC
09-28-2012, 12:50 PM
When mediocrity is the norm in society ... that society is doomed.

NQ6U
09-28-2012, 01:14 PM
I have the new Maps.app on my iPhone. It's true that its not as mature as Google when it comes to the quality of the data but technology-wise it's a big improvement. The best thing about it is that the maps are now vector files rather than bitmaps which really speeds things up when you zoom in or out.

Most of the data glitches occur outside large urban areas. Here in metro San Diego I've had pretty good luck with the new software. Apple is hiring a lot of people who formerly worked on Google maps so things should improve significantly as time passes.

K7SGJ
09-28-2012, 02:04 PM
I have the new Maps.app on my iPhone. It's true that its not as mature as Google when it comes to the quality of the data but technology-wise it's a big improvement. The best thing about it is that the maps are now vector files rather than bitmaps which really speeds things up when you zoom in or out.

Most of the data glitches occur outside large urban areas. Here in metro San Diego I've had pretty good luck with the new software. Apple is hiring a lot of people who formerly worked on Google maps so things should improve significantly as time passes.

That's pretty much what the Apple spokesman said, not that a holy person would would stretch tbe truth, of course.

NQ6U
09-28-2012, 02:20 PM
That's pretty much what the Apple spokesman said, not that a holy person would would stretch tbe truth, of course.

Bless you, my son. Now say fifteen Hail Steves, then fetch me another Rum & Coke.

--Pope Carlo l

KB3LAZ
09-28-2012, 02:34 PM
I thought that all truck drivers had a US map imprinted in their mind. I have three of them in my family and they are better than a GPS!

NA4BH
09-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Should I take the Blast-femur out for you, your M&Mense?

NQ6U
09-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I thought that all truck drivers had a US map imprinted in their mind. I have three of them in my family and they are better than a GPS!

When I was driving OTR regularly, I could get from any major city in the US to any other without a map. However, navagating around that major city once one gets there is another thing entirely. I've lived here for close to twenty years now and I still need a map.

NQ6U
09-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Should I take the Blast-femur out for you, your M&Mense?

It's not necessary, my son. God will take care of him for me, much the way he did with Jimmy Hoffa.

VE7DCW
09-29-2012, 11:25 PM
It's not necessary, my son. God will take care of him for me, much the way he did with Jimmy Hoffa.

The word from his eminence Pope Carlo ...... the making of the holy ghost ..... :rofl: