PDA

View Full Version : Any Fishermen On Here ?

n2ize
09-26-2012, 01:29 AM
In my past life as a surf fisherman this was my baby. Cast further ad faster than any other spoon without added weights, even against strong onshore winds. also caught more fish than any other that I tried. Brings backk memories.

http://www.fin-atics.com/product_images/v/950/hopkins-no-eql-450sb-lure-silver-4-1-2oz-single-hook-w-bucktail-30378-image-1__67671_zoom.jpg

KG4CGC
09-26-2012, 01:37 AM
That's really great. I use chicken liver and aerosol cheese.

n2ize
09-26-2012, 03:00 AM

Well, in the fishing "business" what works for you works for you. I used to use heavy sinkers and multihook rigs, often baited with sandworms or squid. Matter of fact even after I got into casting lures that setup was my favorite for flounder. Mostly used sandworms for flounder fishing. For surf casting I started with a "Rebel" minnow. Not bad but very light and hard to cast without adding significant weight. Impossible to cast against wind. But the spoon above gave me the best results. No other spoon offered me the casting distance by itself. It also gave me the best yield.

KA9MOT
09-26-2012, 03:15 AM

Catfish!

Well, in the fishing "business" what works for you works for you. I used to use heavy sinkers and multihook rigs, often baited with sandworms or squid. Matter of fact even after I got into casting lures that setup was my favorite for flounder. Mostly used sandworms for flounder fishing. For surf casting I started with a "Rebel" minnow. Not bad but very light and hard to cast without adding significant weight. Impossible to cast against wind. But the spoon above gave me the best results. No other spoon offered me the casting distance by itself. It also gave me the best yield.

Not Catfish! Salt Water!

I've fished in the Gulf of Mexico years ago, but prefer Freshwater.

I've fished all over the country. For me, the most notable fishery was Northern Minnesota's World Class Fishery (Rainey River and Lake and Boundry Waters). I've caught trophy Walleye (12 pounds), Northern Pike (23 pounds), Musky (39 pounds), Small Mouth Bass (6.5 pounds) and Black Crappie (2.5 pounds) there. I've also managed to land a Lake Sturgeon out of season that was as long as me on 17 pound test. We fought for almost 2 hours.

I prefer live bait and have been known to do very well with a Chub (Large Minnow) dorsal hooked under a bobber. Worms for bottom fishing, and jigging small minnows for Walleye and Crappie.

We used to watch fisherman from all over the country line up for miles and wait for hours to cross the border into Canada, so they could fish in the same lake we were fishing in Minnesota.... maybe they thought those Canadian Walleyes were bigger somehow. In Minnesota they could use live bait (not in Ontario) and could keep 3 fish per person per day vs. Canada's 1 fish per day per person......

Dumbasses....

n2ize
09-26-2012, 08:43 AM
I never tried freshwater. Only saltwater. And that was decades ago.

KA9MOT
09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm going through my pictures to see what I still have.

n2ize
09-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm going through my pictures to see what I still have.

Very interesting stories about the guys who went into Canada versus the guys who fished the same lake from the American side. Also interesting on some of the types of fish. Sounds exciting. It would have been interesting to try some freshwater lake fishing. If I ever do decide to get back into the sport/hobby maybe I'll give it a go.

KA9MOT
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Lake or River, it is fun. When you set the hook into something so large that it feels like a snag, only somehow different, and you're not sure until you feel him turn......man, what a feeling!
I looked (manually searched) all my folder on all my drives and no pictures. I lost a drive in 2004 and lost thousands of pictures, and almost 100G of music. :( I've only been fishing once this year... :(

N8YX
09-26-2012, 05:36 PM
#8-#10 hook - bare - with no more than 10lb test on the reel. No leader.

A single BB-size split shot crimped on the line about 18" from the hook - just enough weight to impart a slight negative buoyancy.

A very large bait box filled with properly maintained nightcrawlers - this implies a chiller and enriched peat moss as bedding. You'll want several dozen crawlers at least; at one time I had a refrigerator dedicated to live bait. Probably more than a hundred dozen in there at any one moment; no more than a hundred or so worms per largish Styrofoam container.

Hook the crawler right through the tip of its nose and cast towards the edges of lily pad fields, shore drop-off points and other structure. If a panfish nibbles at the worm, immediately discard it for another fresh one.

I've caught a royal shit-load of game fish - especially bass - using this method. Even during times when you couldn't buy a bite with a fancy artificial.

KK4AMI
09-26-2012, 05:58 PM
In my past life as a surf fisherman this was my baby. Cast further ad faster than any other spoon without added weights, even against strong onshore winds. also caught more fish than any other that I tried. Brings backk memories.

http://www.fin-atics.com/product_images/v/950/hopkins-no-eql-450sb-lure-silver-4-1-2oz-single-hook-w-bucktail-30378-image-1__67671_zoom.jpg

Great lure for Blues and Spanish Mackerel. I fish in the Chesapeake Bay on a regular basis. Squid is my preferred bottom bait for Flounder. The Fall Striped Bass season starts on Oct 4th. I troll artificials deep for those suckers. Anybody want to do some ocean fishing, boat leaves weekly from Deltaville, Virginia!

XE1/N5AL
09-26-2012, 06:12 PM
When my youngest son was about six years old, we went to Lake Lanier (north of Atlanta) to fish. We were there all afternoon and didn't catch a thing. Although it was fun for the two of us to talk and pass time together, I didn't want my son to go home empty-handed. So, we stopped in at a local commercial trout farm along the road. It was the kind of place where you pay for what you catch and you're guaranteed to catch something with every cast.

Within fifteen minutes, my son had caught a half dozen trout. He was proudly carrying his catch when he commented to me, "You know Dad, the fishing is much better here. We should have stopped at this place first!" :shock: :)

N7YA
09-26-2012, 07:08 PM
I love fishing, but i havent been fishing in about 20 years. I refuse to catch, much less eat, anything out of Lake Mead as it is a dirty sewage dump these days. But when i used to fish the Russian River for King Salmon, it was a red/white Koho with a small sinker. Of course, any fish you pull ashore from the Russian during the King run will net you the prize of not only the fish, but of the 20 nice lures stuck to it. :lol:

For cod in SF bay, i would use a 3-5lb weight on a drop troll line baited with small squid down about 150ft. I would feel a tug and pull up, then set it back down as cod dont fight once they're caught. Then i would get my workout pulling up 15 fat rock cod. Tempura!!

n2ize
09-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Great lure for Blues and Spanish Mackerel.

I caught several blues using the lure. It also landed a few striped bass as well. What I mainly liked about the "Hopkins No-EQL" lure is that it was a great casting lure. Since I was standing on shore and casting into the surf it had just enough weight to goive me some nice long casts, even against moderate winds.

I fish in the Chesapeake Bay on a regular basis. Squid is my preferred bottom bait for Flounder.

I used to fish for flounder mostly in Long Island Sound. I never tried using squid I always used live sand worms. The sand worms worked well but who knows, I may have had better luck with squid. At the time I never thought to try it.

The Fall Striped Bass season starts on Oct 4th. I troll artificials deep for those suckers. Anybody want to do some ocean fishing, boat leaves weekly from Deltaville, Virginia!
Sounds great, I would like to give it a try one day.

wa6mhz
09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Like Ham Radio and Collecting, I can't do ANYTHING in moderation. I hafta go NUTS over it.

And I did just so with Fishing back in the early 80s.

Prior to my taking up fishing, I was a Tropical Fish hobbyist, where I had something like 50 fish tanks in my garage and bred and showed many many kinds of fish. I have all kinds of trophies from Tropical Fish shows.

So I went from Raising and caring for fish to KILLING THEM, just overnight.

Every Saturday, winter, spring, summer and fall, I would go out on the Party fishing boats out of Mission Bay. Seaforth or Islandia. I would go on the afternoon boats, and just KNOCK THE FISH DEAD; every week. Mackeral, Bass (Kelp and Calico), Barracuda, Bonito, Yellowtail and Rockfish. I would fill my gunny sack full of fish and filet them out. I was one of the best fishermen on the boat. Often I would use light line and be catching fish when no one else was being bit.. I carried usually about 4 or 5 poles with me, for all applications. And I would always catch LOTSA Mackeral, which I took to a lake in Santee and sell them for 50 cents each for Catfish bait. That often paid for my trip. Then I would filet out the fish and freeze them in plastic bags. On Monday, I would bring them to work and give them to the ASIAN girls, who were delighted to get fresh fish. One of those Asian girls would turn out to be my wife in 1986!

Then, just like a LIGHT SWITCH, as soon as I got married, the fishing stopped. She didn't like me coming home all fishy smelling and the VAN stinking of fish!

And that was that. Have only been fishing ONCE since then, when my brother took me out one day. FIshing licenses are VERY EXPENSIVE here in CA. GOtta catch ALOTTA FISH to make it worth the trouble of getting one!

I SURE loved to catch the Yellowtail, but the BADDEST ASS FIGHTING fish were the BONITOS!!! Not particularly good eating (about the same as Mackeral), but what a fighter!!

KB3LAZ
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I fish every spring and summer. Freshwater only. Normally in the river not the lake. Normally for white bass, other panfish, large mouth, small mouth, and striped bass, and catfish. Now, when I do fish for catfish I take the boat up the river into the backside of the lake. I normally have rather good luck there. Most of the time I just fish for white bass. 4lb line, fish head jig, and a small yellow rubber shad. I use a small spinning rod for that.

However, I have plenty of different fishing rods for all occasions if need be. Lots of tackle/bait as well.

I really am not into fishing seriously but I do enjoy it. Preferably when alone. It is relaxing that way.

KG4CGC
09-27-2012, 02:21 PM
The wifey caught a stingray while in Key West. Used ballyhoo for bait. That stingray was the only thing caught there by anyone all day.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Key%20West%202012/DSC_8433_zps8fa57df0.jpg

KA9MOT
09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
FIshing licenses are VERY EXPENSIVE here in CA.

You can say that again, but it is chump change compared to the fine I got at Big Bear Lake for not having one. There was the fine for no license and then I was fined $250 per fish on my stringer..... I had 4 beautiful Rainbow Trout that they kept. That was in 1986... I shudder to think what the fine would be now!

KG4CGC
09-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I shudder to think what the fine would be now!
The GDP of Bolivia plus Carl's bar tab.

n2ize
09-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I fish every spring and summer. Freshwater only. Normally in the river not the lake. Normally for white bass, other panfish, large mouth, small mouth, and striped bass, and catfish. Now, when I do fish for catfish I take the boat up the river into the backside of the lake. I normally have rather good luck there. Most of the time I just fish for white bass. 4lb line, fish head jig, and a small yellow rubber shad. I use a small spinning rod for that.

However, I have plenty of different fishing rods for all occasions if need be. Lots of tackle/bait as well.

I really am not into fishing seriously but I do enjoy it. Preferably when alone. It is relaxing that way.

For me during my young years it was a great way to get away from it all and away from all of the violence and screaming, slamming of doors and smashing encountered in everyday family life..Plus since I fished off shore it was also an excuse to spend the day at the beach. If I got tired of fishing I could swim or build sand castles. It was an escape to a more peaceful place where I could feel better about things and escape the extreme tension and anxieties created over trivia.

N7YA
09-27-2012, 05:29 PM
The GDP of Bolivia plus Carl's bar tab.

Come on! Im sure that violates some kind of UN proclamation.

NA4BH
09-27-2012, 05:59 PM
My yearly fishing trip is to Apalachicola. We fish in the bay for 3-4 days and catch enough fish to last until the next year. Everything from flounder, sheep-head, red fish, to trout. Lots of fun.

XE1/N5AL
09-27-2012, 10:37 PM
In local Island waters, fishermen are reporting these lures to be the most effective:

n2ize
09-28-2012, 03:05 AM
In local Island waters, fishermen are reporting these lures to be the most effective:

Those will catch more fisherman than fish.

N7YA
09-28-2012, 04:10 AM
That one on the right will net you a bag of harbor carp. :yuck:

NA4BH
09-28-2012, 08:49 AM
The one on the left will catch lounge lizards.

K7SGJ
09-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Looks like all of them could snag a trouser trout.

KG4CGC
09-28-2012, 11:36 AM
And a bushel of lake lice.

N7YA
09-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Enough lures like that and you will start to think your mussels are bigger than they are. You will end up getting scraped off the bottom of a boat.

KA9MOT
09-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Enough lures like that and you will start to think your mussels are bigger than they are. You will end up getting scraped off the bottom of a boat.

Unfortunately, that happens around here all the time. They get drunk in their boats and want to play on the Mississippi and bad things happen. Old man river is nothing to fool with. In 2006 there was a family out on the boat that was hit broadside by another boater. Mom and dad were killed, meanwhile their 3 year old, in his life vest floated almost 40 miles before they found him alive the next morning. He had floated through Lock and Dam #18 and received only mild injuries. Lucky kid. The guy that hit them survived and was charged with drunk driving.

N7YA
09-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Thats a big problem out here on the lake. Theres a tragic disconnect of intelligence with people when real definitions of things, like drunk driving, dont match what they think is a definition of it, like drunk boating. People still die.

KG4CGC
09-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Thats a big problem out here on the lake. Theres a tragic disconnect of intelligence with people when real definitions of things, like drunk driving, dont match what they think is a definition of it, like drunk boating. People still die.

SC used to charge a BUI the same way as a DUI but now the law was changed to not affect your regular driver's license.