PDA

View Full Version : Late is always better than never.

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 07:23 AM
No, I am not talking about a pregnancy scare. That would not really be a scare to me, lol.

Because of the way we had to do things Pilar and I had to split our wedding up into different events. First was the wedding, or rather a civil union because of the way Spanish law works when marrying an immigrant from outside of Europe. So, we got married "on paper". After was the ceremony which we like to call the "for show" wedding. This was an event in all honesty, for our parents. On that same day after the second event we had our wedding reception. Due to my parents being here for two weeks during that time we decided to split events yet again and postpone our honeymoon until October. Well, that time is about here and our trip is planned.

We have decided to go to Asturias Spain. This is a region in Spain and within this region we will be staying in Oviedo. The area is well known for its Cider, fishing communities, and cheese production. Part of the appeal for both my wife and I is that unlike here in Alicante it has changing seasons. This is appealing to me because it is one of the main things I miss about living in the North east of the US. Autumn being my favorite season: I like to see the change in the leaves, feel the cool breeze, it is just a fun filled relaxing colorful event. Now, this is so appealing to my wife because it is something she has never seen because of where she lives. She has seen summer and winter but never the colorful change of the fall season.

Now, I am sure that this is not a typical honeymoon or at least what I envision a typical honeymoon as. Probably for the better as nothing we have done thus far is typical. When I think honeymoon, I think resort, heat, the beach, palm trees, dinner on the boardwalk, etc. However, that, at the moment, is my typical day to day life. Obviously we want our honeymoon to be a vacation away from the typical daily monotony.

However, not only is it atypical of a honeymoon but of such a trip as well. We were with our "tripadviser" as they so dub them and she was trying to get a grasp of what we wanted to do. (Bless her heart, she was struggling with my Spanish and trying to get by with her little English. We did rather well after some time spent together in the comfortable office setting.) We did not want a tour package which made things difficult. I mean, who wants to get up and do set things at set times on their honeymoon? So after some work we finally got what we want and if we choose to go on vineyard, cheese, cider, etc tours we can do so at our own leisure.

We will be staying in a hotel that is what they call rural in the city. Meaning it is on the outskirts of a large city but is nothing but green for 4klm in every direction but gives us the ability to get to the major cities within 5 minutes or so drive.

http://uk.castillodelbosquelazoreda.com/

Have a look. Now, it is on the UK site for everyone so that it can be read in English. The navigation does change and is less forward in English but I figured that it is easier this way in the end.

I will try to take many pictures for those of you who have been asking for more pictures of Spain. And yes, I know, some of you are still waiting on wedding pictures which I am still sorting out digitally. Between my sister in-law, mother in-law, and my parents there are 4000 photos, many of which are dupes and trips. I need to sort that out before I can add them to my online album and share them.

All in all, it is nice to finally be going on this much needed event after nearly two years of paperwork between here and the states. Basically 11 months per country.

Anyway, I just thought I would share.

W3WN
09-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Trav,

Having been through two of them: Don't plan too much for the honeymoon, outside of general sightseeing and such. Just go have fun, relax & enjoy yourselves.
---
The ex & I booked our honeymoon based on what we could afford & the timing, and then planned the wedding itself (which is how the wedding date ended up on my birthday, which has spoiled my birthday ever since we split up, but I digress). We got "in" on a chartered trip, and were able to take care of the same discounts on the air travel & the hotel as most everyone else on the trip (I believe they were all doctors or related medical types).

About the only part of the planned activities we participated in was a "meet and greet" the Sunday night of the trip (we arrived on a Saturday), which is when we found out that we & 4 other couples had piggy-backed onto this junket. But so what? We saved a lot of $$, the junket organizers didn't have to pay for the empty seats or hotel rooms (they had to guarantee a sell-out), and we got sunburns on the beach while they medical types went off golfing or something. So all in all it worked out.

...well, would have worked out better if I'd married the right person at the time, but that's another story...

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Trav,

Having been through two of them: Don't plan too much for the honeymoon, outside of general sightseeing and such. Just go have fun, relax & enjoy yourselves.
---
The ex & I booked our honeymoon based on what we could afford & the timing, and then planned the wedding itself (which is how the wedding date ended up on my birthday, which has spoiled my birthday ever since we split up, but I digress). We got "in" on a chartered trip, and were able to take care of the same discounts on the air travel & the hotel as most everyone else on the trip (I believe they were all doctors or related medical types).

About the only part of the planned activities we participated in was a "meet and greet" the Sunday night of the trip (we arrived on a Saturday), which is when we found out that we & 4 other couples had piggy-backed onto this junket. But so what? We saved a lot of $$, the junket organizers didn't have to pay for the empty seats or hotel rooms (they had to guarantee a sell-out), and we got sunburns on the beach while they medical types went off golfing or something. So all in all it worked out.

...well, would have worked out better if I'd married the right person at the time, but that's another story...

Yep, that is about what we figured. No tours for us. We want to be able to do whatever we want when we want to do it, even if that is nothing, lol.

K7SGJ
09-25-2012, 08:57 AM
You and Pilar have a terrific time, Travis. As Ron said, just go have fun. It's all about you two right now, soon enough, that will change. Take lots of pix, and make as memories as your hearts can hold; then, make a few more.

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Thank you, Eddie.

PS: Love that little kitten! You always have wonderful avatars!

K7SGJ
09-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Thank you, Eddie.

PS: Love that little kitten! You always have wonderful avatars!

Yeah, he was cute at that age and just kinda ripped your heart out, literally. The little bastid.

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, he was cute at that age and just kinda ripped your heart out, literally. The little bastid.

I sure miss my puppies and my cat. I hope they dont hate me too much when I get back this spring, lol.

A side note..Mom just asked what we were going to do on our honeymoon. Now, leave it to a mother to ask a question like that. Lol. Dad says "Its a honeymoon". Mom turns and just looks at him, lol.

K7SGJ
09-25-2012, 09:19 AM
I sure miss my puppies and my cat. I hope they dont hate me too much when I get back this spring, lol.

A side note..Mom just asked what we were going to do on our honeymoon. Now, leave it to a mother to ask a question like that. Lol. Dad says "Its a honeymoon". Mom turns and just looks at him, lol.

Good luck with the animals. Many years ago, we had to leave ours with my BIL for about a year. When we took them back, a couple of them would have nothing to do with us. They just were never the same, and it wasn't from him neglecting them or treating them badly. It was more like that "bond" had been severed and we never could re-establish it. The events that lead to leaving them were unavoidable, and I hope we never have to do that again.

PA5COR
09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I hope you and Pilar have lots of fun Trav, enjoy the time, and do as the others suggested already.
;)

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Good luck with the animals. Many years ago, we had to leave ours with my BIL for about a year. When we took them back, a couple of them would have nothing to do with us. They just were never the same, and it wasn't from him neglecting them or treating them badly. It was more like that "bond" had been severed and we never could re-establish it. The events that lead to leaving them were unavoidable, and I hope we never have to do that again.

Well, my boxer will always stay with my mom, even when we go back. I got him as a xmas gift as a child while still living at home and he is just as much if not more attached to my mother. My Shepherd on the other hand is my baby and mom says she still lays at the end of the driveway daily waiting for me to return and pick her up. Mom puts the headphones on her when we skype and she tilts her head at the screen and shakes her butt.

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I hope you and Pilar have lots of fun Trav, enjoy the time, and do as the others suggested already.
;)

Thanks, Core, will do.

Edit: This post is 9913. I thought that worth commemorating, lol.

W3WN
09-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Core, will do.

Edit: This post is 9913. I thought that worth commemorating, lol.Glad to know we didn't have to coax that information out of you...

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Glad to know we didn't have to coax that information out of you...

Lol.

W2NAP
09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
what ever ya do just sit back and enjoy it

N2NH
09-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Congratulations on your wedding.

This will be my third. #1 still wants to get back togther (not in this lifetime). Ran out of life with #2. #3 is the charm (well you do get three strikes).

KG4CGC
09-25-2012, 02:22 PM
<snip> My Shepherd on the other hand is my baby and mom says she still lays at the end of the driveway daily waiting for me to return and pick her up. Mom puts the headphones on her when we skype and she tilts her head at the screen and shakes her butt.

Like Fry's dog. That episode was so sad.

NA4BH
09-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Like Fry's dog. That episode was so sad.

Didn't he get dissolved by some slime?

KG4CGC
09-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Didn't he get dissolved by some slime?

In the last episode where the show was temporarily cancelled, his don't waited faithfully for him by the pizza place. They showed the seasons passing and his dog still waiting, growing older.

WV6Z
09-27-2012, 04:29 AM
That was a sad one.

KB3LAZ
09-27-2012, 05:16 AM
That was a sad one.

Aye.

W4RLR
10-01-2012, 11:40 PM
All the best to you and Pilar. I lived in Madrid for two years back when the dollar was actually worth something. Lots of good memories there. Make a few of your own.

KB3LAZ
10-02-2012, 04:11 AM
All the best to you and Pilar. I lived in Madrid for two years back when the dollar was actually worth something. Lots of good memories there. Make a few of your own.

Thank you. I hear so many people say that they have been to Madrid. Terrible example of Spain. If ever you get the chance to go back to Spain, try up north. :)