PDA

View Full Version : I'm Donating More CPU time To GIMPS

n2ize
09-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I have been actively participating in this project for a couple of years..

http://www.mersenne.org/

Basically devoting CPU cycles to it on my Linux server which doesn't have a high work load but has a rather slow outdated processor that leaves much to be desired.

So, I just added my 2.8 G dual core Pentium 4 machine to it. So far it is working good. Runs low priority so I hardly notice it when I am using it as a workstation. As soon as I activated the software the PrimeNet server assigned me a new exponent to test via an LL (Lucas-Lehmer) primality test. It's up and running for 2+ days so far and I am averaging around 0.21 seconds per iteration. Soo far the LL test is 1.22% complete, I have accomplished 680,000 iterations with 55683439 iterations to go. At this rate the test should be completed by December 25, 2012, right around Christmas Time. This sounds crazy, I know but its par for the course for this type of iterative computation. depending on processor, speed, load avg, etc. these tests can take anywhere from 2 months to many many months to run. If I get lucky the exponent will come up prime and I''ll get a monetary reward just in time for Christmas. However, the probability (odds) are not in my favor. I want to try and tweak the settings, (and maybe the code as well) for optimum performance, although I doubt I'll improve on it all that much.

I have a brand new quad core system in the next room and I plan to donate some CPU cycles on that machine as well. It will be interesting to see what kind ir iteration rates I get on that system. Probably the same as this one on a given test but greater capacity to do more work overall.