PDA

View Full Version : K6T Canc elled -- KA0XTT Remains QRT

W3WN
09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Due to concerns over possible violations of Section 97.113(a)(3) (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2011-title47-vol5-sec97-113.pdf), John Amodeo, NN6JA, has cancelled the Last Man Standing Special Event Station planned for October 28 (http://www.arrl.org/news/em-last-man-standing-em-plans-special-event-station). Amodeo had applied for and received a 1×1 call sign -- K6T -- to use for the event that would have taken place on the show’s set. Last Man Standing stars Tim Allen as Mike Baxter, KA0XTT. More at http://www.arrl.org/news/em-last-man-standing-em-producer-cancels-special-event

wa6mhz
09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
I was really hoping I could talk them into working a Vintage radio into the series, which would have made for a very funny plot. Tim gets a Hallicrafters S-40 from the local Radio Museum and his family is outraged about it, after it smokes and fills the house full of acrid smells; and blows the circuit breaker. I could be a big help in that show, but I have no contact with NN6JA.

KC9ECI
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Don't know why this is any less acceptable that the MFJ Club station, The FlexRadio Club Station, The ARRL club station...

kb2vxa
09-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Good point there and a point of grey law perhaps John doesn't want to get involved in as ... the Owner, Dean and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer of the Belgrade Lakes Institute of Advanced Research, Executive Director of the Amateurish Association of American Radio, Chief Engineer and Gassbag of K1MAN Broadcasting Assholiates et al did?

For what it's worth fictitious or not Mike Baxter (no relation to Glen) operates an Amateur station with an experimental license... verrrry interesting.

W3WN
09-24-2012, 08:09 PM
In the context of the show's fictional universe, a KAØX## is not an experimental call. NN6JA obviously didn't want to use a "real" call, even with permission, for fear that some nutcase would actually try to go on the air with it.

I had a long discussion with Ben KB3ERQ at lunch over this. He feels that the aforementioned rules that kept the special event station off the air are archaic and should be ditched. I tried to explain to him that, sadly, I feel that the proper thing was done here. Now, if a local ham club had offered to operate from the show's set, THAT would not (IMHO) be a violation of the rules, simply because unline NN6JA, none of the ops would be considered employees (in one form or another) of the TV show.

I sure wish that some local club out yonder had done just that...

n6hcm
09-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Don't know why this is any less acceptable that the MFJ Club station, The FlexRadio Club Station, The ARRL club station...

well, most people watching nationwide TV have never heard of MFJ, FlexRadio, or the ARRL ... this was, in theory, related to a TV show, right?

wa6mhz
09-25-2012, 08:16 AM
In the context of the show's fictional universe, a KAØX## is not an experimental call. NN6JA obviously didn't want to use a "real" call, even with permission, for fear that some nutcase would actually try to go on the air with it.

I had a long discussion with Ben KB3ERQ at lunch over this. He feels that the aforementioned rules that kept the special event station off the air are archaic and should be ditched. I tried to explain to him that, sadly, I feel that the proper thing was done here. Now, if a local ham club had offered to operate from the show's set, THAT would not (IMHO) be a violation of the rules, simply because unline NN6JA, none of the ops would be considered employees (in one form or another) of the TV show.

I sure wish that some local club out yonder had done just that...

I will volunteer MY radio club to do it. In fact we have 2 radio clubs here in SDG that would be tickled to do it. LARC and ARCEC. But we are 150 miles away, so logistics would be a problem. ARCEC has a 100ft Tower Trailer and LARC has a great Radio Comm Trailer.

W3WN
09-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I will volunteer MY radio club to do it. In fact we have 2 radio clubs here in SDG that would be tickled to do it. LARC and ARCEC. But we are 150 miles away, so logistics would be a problem. ARCEC has a 100ft Tower Trailer and LARC has a great Radio Comm Trailer.
Pat, I say go for it! But don't tell us, contact NN6JA and see if you can work something out. (After all, you have the connections out there)

NQ6U
09-25-2012, 08:47 AM

Pat, you know that proposing this to the ARCEC would probably do nothing more than start another shouting match! Go with the LARC.

wa6mhz
09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
In my dreams, we would have a DUAL CLUB function. Can we say Hatfields and McCoys sharing a Thanksgiving dinner?

NQ6U
09-25-2012, 12:34 PM
In my dreams, we would have a DUAL CLUB function.

I agree, but we both know that ain't gonna happen--not in the forseeable future, at least.

kb2vxa
09-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Hatfields would be enough and rather fitting too.