PDA

View Full Version : An illustration of "Patience is its own reward." About 3D stuff.

W1GUH
09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Kinda illustrates what happens with some new technology.

BTW....medium-term report on 3D technology is that it's very good, at least where Asus and nVidea is involved. But it's taken some patience -- there was a major glitch for a while.

So I got the 3D monitor & all was good. Worked very well with Blu-Ray and games with the PS3. No problem whatsoever.

An initially, it was thrilling to see it work on the PC, especially MS FSX. Then the trouble started.

Something got updated and the FS no longer did 3D - got a message that the resolution wasn't compatible. Not to mention that the resolution reported had no relation to what I had set it at. Hmmmmm....

Plus, a couple of demos from nvidea didn't work and resulted in the same error message. Groan. But Need for Speed -- The Run, and the nvidea 3D photo viewer kept on working just fine. Did some web searching but didn't find a solution.

So, after a few months, I revisited this. As it turned out, somehow the nVidia demos had been updated to where it was obvious how to set the resolution it wanted to use and now they both work just fine. Also, FSX is now working again, with the same solution.

Finally, Max Payne 3 is now doing 3D just fine.

My take is that this new technology's support and human engineering has caught up with the technology & it's a lot more user-friendly. Ah, the "joys" of cutting edge technology. Glad I took a break from it to let things settle. THAT's what I mean about "Patience is its own Reward." One of those "life's lessons" that I need to re-learn again and again!

As far as how good 3D is....IMHO, the active-shutter method that nVidia and Asus have embraced (the one used by IMAX 3D) is very good. Dunno if it's as good as IMAX, but it's wonderful to view. The only drawback is I only have a "30" class" monitor & with 3D the bigger the better. 3D seems to be at its best when you can't see the edge of the monitor and don't have that cue about where to focus. Sitting up close and darkening the room help that a LOI, objects can seem to be hanging in free space between the viewer and the screen.

Even thinking about getting another DSLR of the type I already have (Canon T3i) so I can do 3D photography right. Now I do it by taking two shots -- but that doesn't work with moving images. AND the T3i is available at cut prices now that the T4i is available.

NY3V
09-23-2012, 12:12 PM

Did you say 3D?

n2ize
09-23-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm waiting for higher diminesional technology to hit the market. I want to play out in the 5th 6th 7th and 10th dimension.

W1GUH
09-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm waiting for higher diminesional technology to hit the market. I want to play out in the 5th 6th 7th and 10th dimension.

Do you actually exist as a physical entity here on earth or are you some sort of abstract presence?

W1GUH
09-23-2012, 03:07 PM

Did you say 3D?

Yes, I did. And could you please supply information as to how that post contributes to the information exchange in this thread?

NY3V
09-23-2012, 05:40 PM
...could you please supply information as to how that post contributes to the information exchange in this thread?

Grump! :lol:

n2ize
09-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Do you actually exist as a physical entity here on earth or are you some sort of abstract presence?

http://www.elfwood.com/art/m/a/maccaskill/martian2.jpg

kb2vxa
09-23-2012, 08:17 PM
"I want to play out in the 5th 6th 7th and 10th dimension."

You'll have to consult Buckaroo Banzai on construction of the Oscillation Overthruster that got him across the 8th dimension 'cuz that's where the fun is.