PDA

View Full Version : Summer's Almost Gone

N2NH
09-21-2012, 01:04 PM
The Autumnal Equinox will fall tomorrow according to the Old Farmers Almanac.

Fall for 2012 begins in the Northern Hemisphere on September 22, 10:49 A.M. EDT*. Here’s more about the first day of fall—the autumnal equinox—plus, facts, folklore, and some fantastic fall photos! (Say that five times fast!)

*14:49 GMT/UTC.

Hope it was a good summer for you.

Summer's Almost Gone. (http://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-seasons)

http://youtu.be/XXRfuKbnfic

n2ize
09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't mind it in the least. I have had all the heat and humidity that I can stand for one year.

NM5TF
09-21-2012, 01:49 PM
I live in the mountains at 7,200 ft ASL.....

in the mornings it feels like Fall with temps in the 40's.....

in the afternoon it still feels like Summer with temps in mid 80's.....

my favorite time of year.....

KB3LAZ
09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
The Autumnal Equinox will fall tomorrow according to the Old Farmers Almanac.

*14:49 GMT/UTC.

Hope it was a good summer for you.

Summer's Almost Gone. (http://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-seasons)

http://youtu.be/XXRfuKbnfic

For some of our members summer is just around the corner and it is winter that is drawing to an end.

N8YX
09-21-2012, 02:10 PM
I beat the change of seasons and got most of my '08 Concours 14's 15Kmi servicing done. Included in that is a valve clearance adjustment, coolant change, new HID headlight installation and the addition of a number of electronic goodies including an FTM-10SR and JMCB2003.

Just need to tie-wrap the new harnesses to the various frame stays, connect a few odds and ends up then begin hanging plastic.

W5GA
09-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm quite ready for this summer to be gone. It was absolutely brutal here.

X-Rated
09-21-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm quite ready for this summer to be gone. It was absolutely brutal here.

The weather in OK is brutal year round.

VK3ZL
09-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Hi all, Well, Spring is here and we are having glorious warm 23C days...We will still get a few cold blasts over the next month or so but Summer and dry weather will be here too soon with days of 43C, lightning and bushfires..No matter how one prepares for this it is an annual worry that we have to live with..It is about 3-4 years since some of the worst fire disasters hit Victoria...Ah well, that's life..

Bob..VK3ZL..

N2NH
09-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Hi all, Well, Spring is here and we are having glorious warm 23C days...We will still get a few cold blasts over the next month or so but Summer and dry weather will be here too soon with days of 43C, lightning and bushfires..No matter how one prepares for this it is an annual worry that we have to live with..It is about 3-4 years since some of the worst fire disasters hit Victoria...Ah well, that's life..

Bob..VK3ZL..

Sounds a lot like Los Angeles. Don't the winds blow from East to West in the Temperate Zone of the Southern Hemisphere?

N7YA
09-22-2012, 03:30 AM
What a wonderful thread title! :-D

w2amr
09-22-2012, 03:47 AM
The humidity and skeeters are bad this summer. Still, I hate the cold WX .

VK3ZL
09-22-2012, 04:32 AM
Sounds a lot like Los Angeles. Don't the winds blow from East to West in the Temperate Zone of the Southern Hemisphere?

Hi John, the prevailing winds here are West to East...We also live in the "Roaring 40's" which blow in off the Great Australian Bight..During Summer our most feared winds are hot Northerly along with 40C heat....That is what causes our worst bushfire risk...Hot Northerly mixing with a cooler Southwesterly wind causes mixing of hot and cold air producing thunder storms and lightning...Australian bush and forests consist of Eucalypt and much undergrowth of oily T tree and other readily combustable scrub...Added to that these days are the millions of acres of Pine and Bluegum timber plantations..Ahhhhh...That's life.

Bob..VK3ZL.

N8YX
09-22-2012, 06:51 PM
First day of fall along with fall weather here...cold and rainy. We cycled about 20mi in the stuff on our way back from Massillon; details in the cycling thread in the Sports forum.

John, you might want to check out the pictures of the trail I'll post in the next day or two. There be ghosts of trains present. Could have grabbed a few more but that darned rain business had to be contended with.

W3WN
09-22-2012, 07:01 PM
First day of fall along with fall weather here...cold and rainy. We cycled about 20mi in the stuff on our way back from Massillon; details in the cycling thread in the Sports forum.

John, you might want to check out the pictures of the trail I'll post in the next day or two. There be ghosts of trains present. Could have grabbed a few more but that darned rain business had to be contended with.Sounds like you had two good things going for you today then.

W2NAP
09-22-2012, 07:11 PM
i dont think it made it to 60 here today. tonights low 36 2mar low 33... blah

N2NH
09-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi John, the prevailing winds here are West to East...We also live in the "Roaring 40's" which blow in off the Great Australian Bight..During Summer our most feared winds are hot Northerly along with 40C heat....That is what causes our worst bushfire risk...Hot Northerly mixing with a cooler Southwesterly wind causes mixing of hot and cold air producing thunder storms and lightning...Australian bush and forests consist of Eucalypt and much undergrowth of oily T tree and other readily combustable scrub...Added to that these days are the millions of acres of Pine and Bluegum timber plantations..Ahhhhh...That's life.

Bob..VK3ZL.

Wow. That's worse than the natural fuel that they have in LA. With that oil it would seem that fires would be harder to put out, if they can be put out. Still you live in some of the most beautiful countryside I've seen. I used to listen to Radio Australia all the time. I used to also pick up ABC (local) IIRC out of Perth and Melbourne. Usually I could pick up the ABC stations for an hour before grey line and, if I was stubborn, an hour or so after using my ears to filter out some of the noise.

N2NH
09-22-2012, 07:55 PM

John, you might want to check out the pictures of the trail I'll post in the next day or two. There be ghosts of trains present. Could have grabbed a few more but that darned rain business had to be contended with.

Great can't wait to check them out. The area I moved to is rich with railroads and history. There was the Maybrook line of the NH and the yards there as well as the mid-Hudson rail bridge which is now part of a hiking trail. There's the West Shore line and Hudson line both ex NYC. WSL is CSX. South of Poughkeepsie the Hudson line is Metro North and North of the city it's CSX. Amtrak runs on that too. I've got to check a rail map as there are more lines around here besides the two tourist lines (one of them is still recovering from Hurricane Irene a year later).

When I get some wheels, I plan to post some here. Until then I'll glom what's on the web.

It's raining cats and dogs and the temp has dropped from the low 70s to the low 60s in the last hour. There are a few trees turning crimson already too. Fall is definitely in the air.

W2NAP
09-22-2012, 09:07 PM
i got NS lines real close to me then a bit farther out CSX main running eastwest

i remember long ago back in the conrail days it was some good times railfanning. there was always a train moving in this city. the e/w main would have trains every 30mins to a hour. the north line by me seemed to roll about every hour or so..

now. im lucky to catch a train a week on the north line

n2ize
09-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Temperatures are taking a nosedive here too. all day we were pummeled with hot mumis souwest winds but now this stuff it coming out of the north and its packing a wallop. I have a feeling we'll see a williwaw before the nights up.