so here is a total newb question....:roll:

how did the Island come to be & when???

was it started as an "alternative" to that "other" site by some banned
ex-zedders???:shock:

if this question has already been asked/answered & is in the archives,
a pointer/link would be nice....:pray:

TIA

History of Ham Island, part 1

The Island was started because one of QRZ.com staff tried to tell everyone how hard it is to create a forum. To prove them wrong, I created the Island of Misfit Hams, named so because my kids were watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on TV at the moment and the scene for the Island of Misfit Toys was on the screen. The name was never meant to imply the status of the membership.

It took me 20 minutes to make the forum, and I posted the link to show how easy it was. Pretty soon folks started to post there and what was supposed to be a temporary thing to show how easy it was turned into a full blown site that continues to grow with each passing day.

Mike, AL2N

N2NH
09-20-2012, 03:56 PM
The original group for banned Zedders was BBQ (Banned By QRZ) which was a Yahoo group I started when I was banned. It was advice given to me by one of the moderators there (who is no longer a mod on QRZ for other reasons). It was originally open only to those who were banned at one time or another. Albi (MIV-SK) asked me why it wasn't open to all, so I made that possible. One of our group Mike AL2N wisely decided to explore other options since the group wasn't as conducive to posting as QRZ was and thus The Island was born. He too was following the advice of this moderator who had a habit of telling everyone if you don't like it here go start your own site...

N1LAF
09-20-2012, 04:09 PM
There is a stark difference in moderation style and accountability that separates the island from the Zed.

K7SGJ
09-20-2012, 04:26 PM
The vision came from here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlNOwwQQJk

You don't know how glad I am to see that bastid.

WØTKX
09-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Little and none? :chin:

NA4BH
09-20-2012, 04:35 PM

It was all for you.

NM5TF
09-20-2012, 05:28 PM
There is a stark difference in moderation style and accountability that separates the island from the Zed.

that Sir, is a HUGE understatement!!!:-D

much more comfortable here....like a fresh Island breeze!!!!:lol:

kf0rt
09-20-2012, 05:42 PM
The odd part is that Mike left because of the "liberalism" here. I always held Mike in high regard, and even miss "two-eye" - AL2I, who was once active on our shores.

Great forum, provided you don't take life too seriously. At least that's my take on it. It's not for everybody; the price of admission is low-level vetting and the drinks are still free. Beyond that, yer on your own, and we have tossed a few to the curb. Not for their voice, but for their decorum. Respect your fellow person; it's all we've ever really asked. Take a dump on the beach? We're watching and if you clean it up without asking, you'll likely skate without so much as a PM. Take a dump on the beach daily and expect someone else to clean it up? Ain't happening.

Mike did really well with this, IMHO. Fhucking pig aside, of course. :lol:

X-Rated
09-20-2012, 05:43 PM
http://api.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/m/MikeTheiss/17.jpg

WX7P
09-20-2012, 06:55 PM
The odd part is that Mike left because of the "liberalism" here. I always held Mike in high regard, and even miss "two-eye" - AL2I, who was once active on our shores.

Great forum, provided you don't take life too seriously. At least that's my take on it. It's not for everybody; the price of admission is low-level vetting and the drinks are still free. Beyond that, yer on your own, and we have tossed a few to the curb. Not for their voice, but for their decorum. Respect your fellow person; it's all we've ever really asked. Take a dump on the beach? We're watching and if you clean it up without asking, you'll likely skate without so much as a PM. Take a dump on the beach daily and expect someone else to clean it up? Ain't happening.

Mike did really well with this, IMHO. Fhucking pig aside, of course. :lol:

Must be something in the water in AK.

NA4BH
09-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Only one thing better than Maxwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

KG4CGC
09-20-2012, 07:36 PM
↑ Condom star?

kf0rt
09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Must be something in the water in AK.

I blame it on Sarah. ;)

KC9ECI
09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Please don't ask about Gretchen. Or Janet. I don't know the whole story of either, and I'm afraid I might be so delicate that I couldn't handle knowing.

VE7DCW
09-20-2012, 08:34 PM
The vision came from here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlNOwwQQJk

You got to love that little Weeeeeeeeee ! :agree:

WX7P
09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
I blame it on Sarah. ;)

Funny you mention that, Rob. Both 2 eye and Mike were big supporters of Caribou Barbie.

I remember having discussions with 2 eye in 2006 regarding the merits of Tony Knowles vs. Caribou Barbie for governor of AK. Dave met Palin and liked her at the time. I wonder what he thinks now.

Mike's spin was the anti-establishment tea party mantra. He didn't like Ted Stevens or Don Young and viewed Palin as a fresh face. Too bad he bailed on us. His conservatives/religious people as victim schtick was a little tiresome, but he did add to the conversation.

N8YX
09-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Truth be told, The Island is the secret command-and-control network for a number of ham radio related websites and their followers/minionsmembers. Our regulars post something and it is dutifully carried elsewhere to be commented on at length, all the while ignoring the fact that their emperors are somewhat less than attractive sans apparel.

Any time you see a controversial topic - especially in the field of politics - pop up elsewhere there's a good chance it's a copy of an original thread by one of our participants. We have some cutting-edge minds here. Other places don't trust their members with the ownership of pointy things, let alone the use of them.

N7YA
09-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Only one thing better than Maxwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Yeah! Gangnam Style!!

Ill take PSY over that goddamned ziplining slab of bacon anyday!

w2amr
09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
The original group for banned Zedders was BBQ (Banned By QRZ) which was a Yahoo group I started when I was banned. It was advice given to me by one of the moderators there (who is no longer a mod on QRZ for other reasons). It was originally open only to those who were banned at one time or another.
Didn't we have another one called aardvark?

N2NH
09-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Didn't we have another one called aardvark?

Yep. That too was open to all. It was an alternative since in those days some groups would go down and some wouldn't.