PDA

View Full Version : Android holding 68% of the Smartphone Market

AE1PT
09-19-2012, 12:51 AM
I really was surprised to find that Apple only had 15% of the market. What is interesting is the change of the various platforms--and their acceptance--from just a year ago:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/android-market-share-q3-2012_n_1893292.html

As interesting as new phones are, my old Droid 2 Global will stick by me until I am forced to upgrade. That's when Verizon will make me eat a data plan that is limited.

The thing that gets me is that every one of the incremental changes in each phone release is calculated to engage the owner to consume more data. At the prices for this stuff over the cellular networks I can't see how some hardcore streamers can afford it... :dunno:

KG4CGC
09-19-2012, 02:44 AM
WM5 in 2008. Seems like a lifetime ago.

NQ6U
09-19-2012, 06:45 AM
It's a no-brainer: Droid holds the bigger market share because it Google gives it away to phone manufacturers for free while Apple maintains the iOS for their own use only. The thing that is often overlooked, however, is the fact that the 15% of the smartphone market that Apple holds is the most profitable portion. It's the same deal with their computers.

There is a reason that AAPL stock is currently trading for over $700/share.

KB3LAZ
09-19-2012, 06:54 AM
It's a no-brainer: Droid holds the bigger market share because it Google gives it away to phone manufacturers for free while Apple maintains the iOS for their own use only. The thing that is often overlooked, however, is the fact that the 15% of the smartphone market that Apple holds is the most profitable portion. It's the same deal with their computers.

There is a reason that AAPL stock is currently trading for over $700/share.

They charge 15x more too. :P Cut the price in half and they may hold 32% of the market. Sure, that will not make them anymore money but it will make their competitors less. Though, at that point I am willing to bet that they would do more than double their current customer base.

For me, it isnt about free apps. A 1$ here and there for an app is no big deal. However, the hardware costs for driod and windows are a fraction of that of Apple. When this is remedied, Ill give some thought to it.

NQ6U
09-19-2012, 07:13 AM
They charge 15x more too. :P Cut the price in half and they may hold 32% of the market. Sure, that will not make them anymore money but it will make their competitors less. Though, at that point I am willing to bet that they would do more than double their current customer base.

Doesn't make good business sense. Apple has never been about dominating the market, it's been about making money—which it's doing hand over fist with the iPhone. Apple's profits on the iPhone alone exceed those of Microsoft's entire business. Why should they change that?

KB3LAZ
09-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Doesn't make good business sense. Apple has never been about dominating the market, it's been about making money—which it's doing hand over fist with the iPhone. Apple's profits on the iPhone alone exceed those of Microsoft's entire business. Why should they change that?

They dont have to, nor do I care. I was simply stating why I am not an Apple customer.

Why should they change that, a good question. I think you are qualified to answer that though. There was a thread sometime back bout the motives of a corporation and why one should not work for them. Greed being of a major concern. Personally, I think it is a good business tactic it just will not draw in my business, not that they care.

KC2UGV
09-19-2012, 07:49 AM
I wonder how profitable it will be when there is no ecosystem of developers willing to develop for a 10% market share?

NQ6U
09-19-2012, 07:51 AM
I wonder how profitable it will be when there is no ecosystem of developers willing to develop for a 10% market share?

The market sector that's actually willing to pay for their apps, you mean?

KC2UGV
09-19-2012, 08:10 AM
The market sector that's actually willing to pay for their apps, you mean?

Wont be too many willing to pay for apps, when there aren't too many people even using the OS. Even people willing to pay twice what other people paid for, even left OS/2 eventually.

NQ6U
09-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Wont be too many willing to pay for apps, when there aren't too many people even using the OS. Even people willing to pay twice what other people paid for, even left OS/2 eventually.

Apple has already sold 2 million iPhone 5s and it's not even available until Friday. I don't think that's going to be a serious problem for some time now.

KC2UGV
09-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Apple has already sold 2 million iPhone 5s and it's not even available until Friday. I don't think that's going to be a serious problem for some time now.

It still could be, because I'd hazard, of those two million iPhone 5's; 1.75 million iPhone 4's will be replaced, and decommissioned. The market share isn't growing by 2 million here...

AE1PT
09-19-2012, 10:30 AM
It still could be, because I'd hazard, of those two million iPhone 5's; 1.75 million iPhone 4's will be replaced, and decommissioned. The market share isn't growing by 2 million here...

A very high percentage of those 4's will trade on the used replacement market for those who cannot afford the 5--but see an opportunity to gain the cachet of iPhone without the steep buy-in. So it's not a frangible exchange.

KC2UGV
09-19-2012, 01:05 PM
A very high percentage of those 4's will trade on the used replacement market for those who cannot afford the 5--but see an opportunity to gain the cachet of iPhone without the steep buy-in. So it's not a frangible exchange.

The vast majority of those I know who are rushing to upgrade their device to the iPhone 5 are going from iPhone 4 to 5. And the old one? Sitting in a desk drawer, as a "backup".

If it wasn't a frangible exchange, you would see market share increase, not decrease in size. And, growth of usage does not match (By a long shot) the sales numbers.

AE1PT
09-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I know a few that hoard them. I know and see more that promptly dump them on eBay, Craigslist, and to each other. For some it is recouping the cost of the new model. My guess is that the primary attrition is the next model down--where the person buying the 4 is coming up from.

Never could understand this fanboi nonsense surrounding Apple. People will sleep outside a store to try and get the latest iTurd...

kds
09-19-2012, 09:49 PM

Ask Palm (now HP) how that worked out for them with webOS.

KB3LAZ
09-20-2012, 05:19 AM
I know a few that hoard them. I know and see more that promptly dump them on eBay, Craigslist, and to each other. For some it is recouping the cost of the new model. My guess is that the primary attrition is the next model down--where the person buying the 4 is coming up from.

Never could understand this fanboi nonsense surrounding Apple. People will sleep outside a store to try and get the latest iTurd...

I have never understood that either and its not just apple. When I was living on campus some of my classmates would do the same when a new video game came out. Now, I am a MMORPG nerd but damn, I am not about to sleep on the ground in a foot of snow to pay 120$ for a game that will cost 60$ the next day. Only because it comes with a dorky doll or something.

KC2UGV
09-20-2012, 11:03 AM

You are probably right as well on this. People buying the 5, sell the 4, the people who have a 4... Well, the 3 get's tossed/recycled/whatever.

I can understand it, to a point. Steve was able to build a cult of personality. I just don't see it lasting very long.

KG4NEL
09-20-2012, 11:24 AM
They were able to start this even before the phones - an iPod wasn't really anything groundbreaking, but responsible for "MP3 player" practically being Kleenex-ized into "iPod".

The problem is, Apple sans Jobs got into trouble before. And he's not coming back this time.