PDA

View Full Version : Kids and ham radio

N2CHX
09-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Inspired by another thread that was most unfortunately hijacked by an asshat and then closed.

I've got one who is potentially interested in ham radio but computers and cell phones hold more appeal. So I ask this, what's really so interesting about ham radio these days that kids are willing to pursue it rather than just talk on their cellphones? Serious question. Mine have all seen the big 50 kW transmitters and 500 foot towers. Ham radio doesn't really impress them much.

As an aside, all children learn in different ways. To criticize the way another parent teaches their children is idiotic. You have no clue how a particular child learns and some learn by coaching while they have their hands on the thing they're learning about. No BS criticizing another parent's teaching methods in this thread, please. You wanna play that game, go to Cafe Mom and argue with the suburban soccer moms about it. Throw on a pair of pink short shorts with "Juicy" on your ass and get a mani/pedi while you're at it, you'd fit right in.

KG4CGC
09-18-2012, 11:31 PM
I probably would have never had an interest in ham radio if it wasn't for radio monitoring. These days, kids would benefit from a computer interface with the radio and the gentle guidance of an adult to get them started.
Sometimes, people will ask, "Why is this interesting?"
Only thing I can say is, "Because it's there."

N2CHX
09-18-2012, 11:34 PM
I probably would have never had an interest in ham radio if it wasn't for radio monitoring. These days, kids would benefit from a computer interface with the radio and the gentle guidance of an adult to get them started.
Sometimes, people will ask, "Why is this interesting?"
Only thing I can say is, "Because it's there."

As did I. Well, really, it was growing up next to an AM directional and having my bedsprings play the radio that really got me interested, but then someone gave me a Heathkit GR-81 to play with and I tuned in all kinds of interesting things on it. These days about all you have left on SW are the religious nutbags.

KG4CGC
09-18-2012, 11:47 PM
As did I. Well, really, it was growing up next to an AM directional and having my bedsprings play the radio that really got me interested, but then someone gave me a Heathkit GR-81 to play with and I tuned in all kinds of interesting things on it. These days about all you have left on SW are the religious nutbags.
Which is why I mention interface with a computer to decode all the other stuff out there including DRM.

KJ3N
09-18-2012, 11:53 PM
I've got one who is potentially interested in ham radio but computers and cell phones hold more appeal. So I ask this, what's really so interesting about ham radio these days that kids are willing to pursue it rather than just talk on their cellphones? Serious question. Mine have all seen the big 50 kW transmitters and 500 foot towers. Ham radio doesn't really impress them much.

Having absolutely no experience with kids, I'm afraid I have no clue as to how to motivate them.

However, I would think that having a viable, working ham station at home to demonstrate various aspects of ham radio is going to be a must. If it's "in their face", the exposure just might rub off on them.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." :dunno:

KG4CGC
09-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Having absolutely no experience with kids, I'm afraid I have no clue as to how to motivate them.

However, I would think that having a viable, working ham station at home to demonstrate various aspects of ham radio is going to be a must. If it's "in their face", the exposure just might rub off on them.

If they see you enjoying it ...

n2ize
09-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Get a nice plate modulated AM rig with lots of tubes and iron inside (something that resembles a refrigerator) and crank that sucker up on 160 meter AM on a cold winters night, tune in the R390A and let the New England AM radio sound shake the walls and rattle the floors. If that don't motivate the kids nuthin will.

N8YX
09-19-2012, 04:41 AM
You need a 1N34A.

A variable capacitor of some sort, preferably in the 250-500pF range.

A 2" or 3" diameter piece of PVC approximately 8" long; for a coil form.

Some #20-24 magnet wire to wind on the form - tap every 1/2" or so by means of a tinned loop which can take an alligator clip.

Said alligator clips for tapping the coil.

A pair of high impedance headphones, a good ground and some insulated wire with which to construct a decent aerial.

You know the circuit. If built properly, magic can be teased from the aether by it.

Let's expand a bit: A few empty pill bottles, copper and aluminum foil plates and salt water or acid make a source of power. A germanium PNP transistor amplifies the output of the 1N34A. Two such devices cascaded with a volume control potentiometer and 10000:8 ohm output transformer can drive a small loudspeaker. A salvaged solar array can be used to charge the battery bank while you're away for the day.

See where I got my AM DX start at around age 8?

KC9ECI
09-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Inspired by another thread that was most unfortunately hijacked by an asshat and then closed.

Speaking of said asshat, he stooped to posting his vile bullshit insulting a 10 year old girl on the youtube video this morning. It lasted all of 14 minutes. He must be suffering from senile dementia or a head injury of some sort.

KB3LAZ
09-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Well, I think that aside from Corey, Jeff, and maybe one or two others my story is the most recent and I grew up with the more advanced technology of the average member on the island. So, I can only tell you why it appealed to me. Also, I think it will change per person.

For me, it was a mixture of things. As many of you already know, my grandmother had passed away so my grandfathers friends on the radio invited him to stay with them each for a few days to get his mind off of her passing. My grandfather invited me along. I suppose that during this trip I got to see a side of the hobby that a lot of children are not exposed to. I got to see the good in hams, people in general but at my age it was a reflection only of those in the hobby. Perfect strangers inviting me into their home in a time of mourning, feeding me, showing me much hospitality, showing us the sights, introducing me to other hams, sharing their shack, and their stories with me. This aspect alone made my 15 year old developing mind stop dead in its tracks. It made me thing, there are damn good people in this world and this hobby. If there are an abundance of people like this in a hobby, then maybe it is one that I should grow an interest in.

That was but one example, now for another.

Sometimes it is not the equipment, the hobby itself, or what you can do in the hobby that first catches your attention. This is another example of the people, or rather a person. Having grown up in the time that I did I was used to video games, computers, TV, etc. I was also used to a school system filled with teachers that were (whether they liked it or not) instructed to improve our memorization skills rather than teach us. Now, this is a big part of where my interest grew. I met many fine hams that were teachers in their own right and unlike my teachers at school they had this willingness to teach me rather than drill memorization into my head. Teach me about propagation, about modes, about construction, fundamentals, anything really. They were also able to answer the how and the why questions that my school teachers seemed to think were not of importance. So, not only did I learn a lot from this wonderful group of people but I also learned that there are those willing to teach if you are willing to learn.

Another thing that interested me was the equipment itself. Not because it was cutting edge because most of it was not, but because it was foreign. It was something new, something undiscovered and I had the opportunity to study it and learn about it intimately.

There is also the aspect of the magic black box that takes you away to a mysterious land unknown to you, or at least that is how it seems as a kid. Rather, to me at the time. This however was something that I had discovered years before while sitting in my grandfathers shack listening to the conversations going on. Sometimes in a language that seemed alien. It often times was in a sense.

Lastly, it was something that I could share with my grandfather, a common interest and to me that was important. I was proud of my grandfather in many ways and if I could find myself being like him in any way then that is what I wanted.

I suppose that because of my background, where I grew up, how I grew up, and what I was exposed to that also adds to the overall picture of my becoming a ham. I often times went to auctions with my grandfather, flea markets, hamfests, etc. Many things not ham related but many things that were more a practice of the past.

So in essence; every person is different, particularly children, so they will all have their own reasons as to why they become interested and I dont think that there is any one size fits all method. First and foremost an innate curiosity must be present as well as a desire to learn and expand their way of thinking. I also think that backgrounds and exposure to specific things are often times important.

I am not sure if any of this helps but it is what I have to share.

N2CHX
09-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Which is why I mention interface with a computer to decode all the other stuff out there including DRM.

True, and I've done that. Well, not DRM stuff. But they've seen everything from PSK to SSTV. They've also seen me call CQ and talk phone but they thought that was just weird. My kids aren't stupid either, they're quite intelligent, they just have no interest. It's one of the reasons I didn't feel too bad about letting the equipment go when I needed some cash.

N2CHX
09-19-2012, 07:53 AM

I had one. See above post. They just weren't interested, really. Mildly, but it was fleeting.

N2CHX
09-19-2012, 07:57 AM
You need a 1N34A.

A variable capacitor of some sort, preferably in the 250-500pF range.

A 2" or 3" diameter piece of PVC approximately 8" long; for a coil form.

Some #20-24 magnet wire to wind on the form - tap every 1/2" or so by means of a tinned loop which can take an alligator clip.

Said alligator clips for tapping the coil.

A pair of high impedance headphones, a good ground and some insulated wire with which to construct a decent aerial.

You know the circuit. If built properly, magic can be teased from the aether by it.

Let's expand a bit: A few empty pill bottles, copper and aluminum foil plates and salt water or acid make a source of power. A germanium PNP transistor amplifies the output of the 1N34A. Two such devices cascaded with a volume control potentiometer and 10000:8 ohm output transformer can drive a small loudspeaker. A salvaged solar array can be used to charge the battery bank while you're away for the day.

See where I got my AM DX start at around age 8?

That could be fun. They do like the VLF receiver I built. We listen to spherics and whistlers on it. They think THAT is the shit.

KJ3N
09-19-2012, 08:00 AM
I had one. See above post. They just weren't interested, really. Mildly, but it was fleeting.

Understood. You have to get them before the hormones start to kick in. Once I figured out what girls were all about, nothing else seemed to matter. ;)

Wait... is there anything else that does matter? :lol:

N2CHX
09-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Understood. You have to get them before the hormones start to kick in. Once I figured out what girls were all about, nothing else seemed to matter. ;)

Wait... is there anything else that does matter? :lol:

LOL true enough. Only one thing matters more than girls: guys who know how to use what they've got.

KJ3N
09-19-2012, 08:04 AM
LOL true enough. Only one thing matters more than girls: guys who know how to use what they've got.

You've been peeking in my bedroom again, haven't you? ;) :rofl:

K7SGJ
09-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Radio was fascinating for me as a kid. Since I didn't have any money, I scrounged old tv sets and did some dumpster diving behind the local radio/tv repair shops. I was able to learn how stuff worked by having substitute what I had for what I needed. It was fun, and there weren't the multitude of things like video games, computers, cell phones, and such to compete with my interest in radio. These days, it's a little more difficult for a kid to scrounge stuff and build a station, especially on their own. It is doable, but I don't know too many kids that have the desire or patience.

N8YX
09-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Radio was fascinating for me as a kid. Since I didn't have any money, I scrounged old tv sets and did some dumpster diving behind the local radio/tv repair shops. I was able to learn how stuff worked by having substitute what I had for what I needed. It was fun, and there weren't the multitude of things like video games, computers, cell phones, and such to compete with my interest in radio. These days, it's a little more difficult for a kid to scrounge stuff and build a station, especially on their own. It is doable, but I don't know too many kids that have the desire or patience.

This right here. Every trash day saw me scrounging the neighborhood in search of discarded electronics from which I could scavenge needed components. I wore out a nice road bicycle as the result of all of those trips.

NQ6U
09-19-2012, 08:41 AM
This may not quite fit here but: most basic electronics classes these days emphasize digital circuitry and ignore analog design beyond power supply stuff. While that certainly makes sense given the current state of the art, it is detrimental to getting young folks interested in radio.

n2ize
09-19-2012, 02:07 PM
This may not quite fit here but: most basic electronics classes these days emphasize digital circuitry and ignore analog design beyond power supply stuff. While that certainly makes sense given the current state of the art, it is detrimental to getting young folks interested in radio.

Yes and no as a lot of digital circuitry is vital to modern day communications. But yeah toy are right in that the digital end of things is the principal focus while the rf part is often taken for granted as in "it is just there and it works".

I think the appeal of being able to communicate around the globe" has also died off quite a bit. At one time it was considered fascinating to be able to hear and talk to places like China, Africa, the arctic, Austrailia, etc. Now, with the Internet it is simply routine. Without even trying I am in contact with the whole world.

We've become so jaded.

KG4CGC
09-19-2012, 02:19 PM
You built a VLF receiver?

N2CHX
09-19-2012, 03:54 PM
You built a VLF receiver?

Yup. Years ago. I still use it regularly for various things, which is why it sits on the floor next to my desk in my office.

N8YX
09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Remind me to dig up the links to the lightning detector/sferics receiver stuff I've found. One of these days I'm going to put the BASIC Stamp to use in counting strikes per minute and quantifying received signal intensity then driving a pair of LCDs (one graphic; one alphanumeric) with the data.

KC2UGV
09-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Different stroke, for different folks (Or kids). Maybe satellite will get them interested. Another kid, phone. Another kid, digital modes. Another kid, long range microwave linkups.

No single thing. For my eldest, it was watching a TV show called "The Colony", and he thought building that spark gap transmitter and crystal rig were really cool, and he wanted to do the same.

I put the brakes on the spark gap, but showed him a small-scale one using a cap, relay, paper clip, and 9V battery.

W2NAP
09-24-2012, 10:53 AM
when i was young i found radio on my own.

KG4NEL
09-24-2012, 11:48 AM
It sounds like you've honestly exposed them to a broad spectrum of what the hobby has to offer, I think that's more than many ever get.

Someone could take me to St. Andrews, but it wouldn't make me want to play golf any more than I do now. Nothing wrong with that...

KC2UGV
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
It sounds like you've honestly exposed them to a broad spectrum of what the hobby has to offer, I think that's more than many ever get.

Someone could take me to St. Andrews, but it wouldn't make me want to play golf any more than I do now. Nothing wrong with that...

Sometimes, just exposing them at a young age is enough. It was for me, and I got my ticket nearly 20 years later.

KB3LAZ
09-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Sometimes, just exposing them at a young age is enough. It was for me, and I got my ticket nearly 20 years later.

Pretty much the same for me but I got my ticket at 16. I grew that natural curiosity without being pushed.