PDA

View Full Version : HRD v6 Fantasy...

AE1PT
09-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Whereinhell is the AR Software Board in this mess?

In any event, is anyone else wondering just what is going on with Rick and company over at HRD Softwa RELLC? We have been strung along now for 6 months on a v6 release--and depending on your setup the v5 iterations are still buggy as shit. Ask a question and get a snarky answer that you need to buy paid support. Conversation drags on a bit and it is revealed that they don't have an answer.

Normally I would not care. But knowing that Phred will break the v5 XML lookup subscriber feed as new fields and features are added does not bode well for the future of this platform in the v5 iteration. I personally think that they are in bed together. VISUALIZE IT--WHAT IS SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN! :heart:

Suddenly it's all about the Benjamin's boyz... :twisted:

N8YX
09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Whereinhell is the AR Software Board in this mess?
Ask, and ye shall receive...IF enough folks want such a sub-forum we'll create one.

-snip-

I personally think that they are in bed together. VISUALIZE IT--WHAT IS SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN! :heart:

Suddenly it's all about the Benjamin's boyz... :twisted:

I've said that for a while - especially after the repeated padlocking of threads which are critical to CSS.

Whomever is running that outfit seriously needs to a acquire a fully functional set of customer relations skills. Try as I might, I could not get a straight answer regarding a couple of their products.

WØTKX
09-18-2012, 04:43 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/0411c527-eef7-4fe8-a01b-abc81c4e7d4a.jpg

kb2vxa
09-18-2012, 06:49 PM
One ringy dingy... two ringy dingy... SNORK!

KA9MOT
09-19-2012, 02:09 AM
I'm afraid I have been very critical of the boys with HRD. I rarely use the program but I often recommend it (or used to). Criticize those guys on any level and the masses start calling you a cheap ham, including the mods. These are the same guys who f*&ked up most of the TNC software when the bought it for pennies, put it on a CD and stated selling it for $300 a pop.

It's all about the bucks and they'll screw you when they have your bucks.

NQ6U
09-19-2012, 06:39 AM
I have been using HRD for radio computer control and DM780 for digital but I'm getting away from them both. I spend enough time staring at a computer screen these days so prefer to just manually spinning the big knob. Also, I have been gradually switching over to FLDIGI because there's a version that works on OS X.

KB3LAZ
09-19-2012, 06:45 AM
You mean to tell me that yall dont use paper logs? Blasphemers!

GTFOML! Mwhahah.

This is a log program and radio computer interface thingy, right? :P I dont use computer software, blah, blah, stuff for my radio. So, I am just assuming.

K7SGJ
09-19-2012, 08:46 AM
I have been using HRD for radio computer control and DM780 for digital but I'm getting away from them both. I spend enough time staring at a computer screen these days so prefer to just manually spinning the big knob. Also, I have been gradually switching over to FLDIGI because there's a version that works on OS X.

I pretty much use FLDIGI, too, and I really like it. It's simple for my simple mind. The radio I use for digital won't do computer control anyway, and I still do log entry's by hand. Some habits are hard to break.

KA9MOT
09-26-2012, 08:48 AM
More empty promises? Can QRZ lookups really be faster? Why do they need to be faster. How many stations per second can we work? More from the folks who would sell you HRD 6.0.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?362722-Update-HRD-6-0-in-beta-with-Continuing-Development&p=2656951#post2656951

n6hcm
09-27-2012, 01:37 AM
More empty promises? Can QRZ lookups really be faster? Why do they need to be faster. How many stations per second can we work? More from the folks who would sell you HRD 6.0.

especially to people who brag about their 386dx shack computer which is connected to the outside world with a bit of fishing line ...

WN9HJW
09-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Deleted

KA9MOT
09-27-2012, 06:41 AM
I don't know anything about HRD other than they have a lot of press releases and product announcements on QRZ news that usually devolve into a pissing contest over whether it should be free or not.

And a product they are charging for that never develops beyond promises... like the carrot dangled at the end of a stick. When that gorilla, or anything that remotely looks like somebody might have a legitimate question is mentioned, that person is met with hostility by those who represent it and are accused of being cheap and wanting something for nothing.

And lastly, do we buy something with-out checking it out? When is the last time you paid in advance for a promise? The supporters of HRD are still paying for promises even though the promised product is 5 months late, and may never materialize......

Promises from people who have a horrible track record with the TNC software they bundled.

WN9HJW
09-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Deleted

KA9MOT
09-27-2012, 07:54 AM
You mean kind of like Windows Vista ?

Vista like ME flopped. But it was released, and Microsoft did not issue a new "Press Release" offering pre-payment for the software and paid support, or updates. Nothing like Vista.

AE1PT
09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
And lastly, do we buy something with-out checking it out? When is the last time you paid in advance for a promise?

I can see that you have never spent time consorting with loose women or hookers...

Early on I thought about buying in to save $20. The reality has finally hit me that what the hell is $20 bucks anyway? This means that I am going to wait at least 6 months past the v6 release to ensure that the major kinks are worked out. There is really nothing that the new version does that I can't live without now--if I am not using something for the new bells and whistles already, whats the real point? v5 might last a long time...

I got a good laugh out of that "working together" to make things faster horseshit. QRZ upgraded and added additional servers on Amazon EC2 this week. Had nothing to do with Rick Ruhl... :liar:

My opinion is that the guy is just a whiny attention whore...

KA9MOT
12-27-2012, 05:46 PM
And another News Release! Fred Loyd AA7BQ and HRD will be announcing the release of HRD 6 at Hamcation! Stand by for more!

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?373512-QRZ-and-HRD-to-make-Joint-Announcement-at-Orlando-Hamcation&p=2731128#post2731128

I thought Bob and Fred said they had no vested interest in HRD 6.0... Will this turn out to be the scam of scams?

VE7DCW
12-27-2012, 10:08 PM
And another News Release! Fred Loyd AA7BQ and HRD will be announcing the release of HRD 6 at Hamcation! Stand by for more!

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?373512-QRZ-and-HRD-to-make-Joint-Announcement-at-Orlando-Hamcation&p=2731128#post2731128

I thought Bob and Fred said they had no vested interest in HRD 6.0... Will this turn out to be the scam of scams?

Absolute agreement on this ...... I saw the QRZ anouncement and it now makes sense out of the skullduggery of ol Dr.Bob's total hostility at any posters making any negative remark about the new HRD version in the HRD thread.Why am I not surprised?? :shhh:

KB3ZGV
12-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Rick Ruhl gave a talk at the recent Huntsville Hamfest on HRD 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

VE3FMC
12-28-2012, 02:14 PM

Steve I bet it has something to do with the fact that if you purchase HRD you will get one free year of XML subscription to QRZ. I am sure I saw that mentioned somewhere before.

I have purchased the key for 6.0. I now have it loaded on another computer that I use for radio purposes only. There has been some improvements in the software and mine is running bug free so far. I was hoping for that the JT65 software would be included but that has not happened in the beta version. (due to the fact the JT65 software developer had a heart attack back in the summer)

Will I purchase the upgrade after my year is up? Time will tell.

Happy New Year to all.
Rick VE3FMC

X-Rated
12-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Absolute agreement on this ...... I saw the QRZ anouncement and it now makes sense out of the skullduggery of ol Dr.Bob's total hostility at any posters making any negative remark about the new HRD version in the HRD thread.Why am I not surprised?? :shhh:

That knife cut the other way on HRD Yahoo Groups. They came down hard on people who said that Fred Lloyd was anything less than god.

N8YX
12-28-2012, 03:02 PM
That knife cut the other way on HRD Yahoo Groups. They came down hard on people who said that Fred Lloyd was anything less than god.

Fascinating.

Ok, Fred...you, Bob and Rick now "officially" own the product - bugs and all. The Internet is a fickle mistress and comments regarding any observed lack of candor when it comes to providing adequate support cannot be stifled everywhere.

KA9MOT
12-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Steve I bet it has something to do with the fact that if you purchase HRD you will get one free year of XML subscription to QRZ. I am sure I saw that mentioned somewhere before.

I have purchased the key for 6.0. I now have it loaded on another computer that I use for radio purposes only. There has been some improvements in the software and mine is running bug free so far. I was hoping for that the JT65 software would be included but that has not happened in the beta version. (due to the fact the JT65 software developer had a heart attack back in the summer)

Will I purchase the upgrade after my year is up? Time will tell.

Happy New Year to all.
Rick VE3FMC

I might have found a way, but when I started asking questions, they started answering them by accusing me of being a cheap ham. My main concern was the requirement to pay a yearly subscription to get updates, bug fixes and upgrades. Not even Microsoft pulls that bullshit.

Pretty lofty attitude when you consider all of the free software that is available. They're trying to capitalize on brand loyalty with a brand they didn't build.

n6hcm
12-29-2012, 04:15 AM
Pretty lofty attitude when you consider all of the free software that is available. They're trying to capitalize on brand loyalty with a brand they didn't build.

well, no. they bought it fair and square from someone who built it up with tons of free community help, just like qrz.com. oh wait ...

VE3FMC
12-29-2012, 06:19 AM
I might have found a way, but when I started asking questions, they started answering them by accusing me of being a cheap ham. My main concern was the requirement to pay a yearly subscription to get updates, bug fixes and upgrades. Not even Microsoft pulls that bullshit.

It will be a wait and see attitude for me Steve. Wait and see what they do at the end of the year. I use the software on a daily basis.

Yes there is plenty of free software out there, but if you like a certain piece of software it is hard to switch. I have tried FLDIGI, etc and prefer DM780, and the log book.

And everyone knows you are a cheap bassturd. ;)JK

K7SGJ
12-29-2012, 10:05 AM
It will be a wait and see attitude for me Steve. Wait and see what they do at the end of the year. I use the software on a daily basis.

Yes there is plenty of free software out there, but if you like a certain piece of software it is hard to switch. I have tried FLDIGI, etc and prefer DM780, and the log book.

Please, if you are going to post that, do it right. It's bastid, BASTID. Now, back to your regular programming.

KA9MOT
12-29-2012, 12:04 PM
well, no. they bought it fair and square from someone who built it up with tons of free community help, just like qrz.com. oh wait ...

A very good point and absolutely true.

KA9MOT
12-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Not cheap... frugal! :)

I guess my major bitch is about the arrogance of that bunch.

KA9MOT
12-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Please, if you are going to post that, do it right. It's bastid, BASTID. Now, back to your regular programming.

Bass have to poop too!

VE3FMC
12-29-2012, 03:15 PM

Bassturd in Canada ;)

K7SGJ
12-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Bassturd in Canada ;)

I stand erected, eh?

VE3FMC
12-29-2012, 07:46 PM
I stand erected, eh?

If you are erected why the hell are you wasting your time on here?

W3WN
12-29-2012, 08:24 PM

After all, isn't a bassturd something that comes out of the hind end of a fish?