PDA

View Full Version : Thinning out the herd

w2amr
09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Good selling day at the Gloucester county fester. Got rid of the following.....
Johnson Viking I transmitter with 122 VFO
Johnson Invader transmitter
Johnson 122 VFO
Johnson electronic T/R switch
Johnson 6&2 receive converter
Hammarlund HQ170 receiver
D-104
Came home about 300 lbs lighter, and I didn't buy anything. :cool2:

N8YX
09-18-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm doing the same thing - actually shifting gear around. Some of the older (and not so older) "classics" will be sold for space and funding for other stuff.

A couple of 940s, 901 lineups, assorted Cubics and other miscellanii are headed to the bench to get prepped for their journey outwards. Good gear, all - but I want to take the shack in a slightly different direction.

w2amr
09-19-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm doing the same thing - actually shifting gear around. Some of the older (and not so older) "classics" will be sold for space and funding for other stuff.

A couple of 940s, 901 lineups, assorted Cubics and other miscellanii are headed to the bench to get prepped for their journey outwards. Good gear, all - but I want to take the shack in a slightly different direction.
All the stuff I sold was packed away and not being used. I still have a room full.

N8YX
09-19-2012, 03:22 AM
All the stuff I sold was packed away and not being used. I still have a room full.

Ditto (as the balloon would say). :lol:

There are two storage racks in the basement full of "excess" and our bedroom closet has more. Most will end up going.

KB3LAZ
09-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Good selling day at the Gloucester county fester. Got rid of the following.....
Johnson Viking I transmitter with 122 VFO
Johnson Invader transmitter
Johnson 122 VFO
Johnson electronic T/R switch
Johnson 6&2 receive converter
Hammarlund HQ170 receiver
D-104
Came home about 300 lbs lighter, and I didn't buy anything. :cool2:

0.0 No more selling until I am back in the states. Then you can sell me a Viking 500. :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
09-19-2012, 08:21 AM

There are two storage racks in the basement full of "excess" and our bedroom closet has more. Most will end up going.

Giving Pat a run for 1st place? :stickpoke:

N8YX
09-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Giving Pat a run for 1st place? :stickpoke:
Not even close. My friend Steve has far more usable gear on just one bench of his than I do throughout the entire house - and he's got three buildings full at the moment!

W3WN
09-19-2012, 10:09 AM

There are two storage racks in the basement full of "excess" and our bedroom closet has more. Most will end up going.If you have any KW-power level antenna tuners in the excess category, we'll talk. In about a month when I have some extra cash, once the deck project is complete.

[You might have to deliver it on Pa QSO weekend, if you wouldn't mind joining in a little operating time... just a thought...]

w2amr
09-19-2012, 12:31 PM
0.0 No more selling until I am back in the states. Then you can sell me a Viking 500. :mrgreen:
It would be cheaper to buy a house.:-D

KB3LAZ
09-19-2012, 01:41 PM
It would be cheaper to buy a house.:-D

But I already have 4...Houses that is.

w2amr
09-21-2012, 04:08 AM
But I already have 4...Houses that is.What, are you related to mitt?

N8YX
09-21-2012, 04:51 AM
What, are you related to mitt?

Capitalism is the shizzit, isn't it? :lol:

KB3LAZ
09-21-2012, 04:54 AM
What, are you related to mitt?

Nope. Two of them came from deaths in the family. One of them is technically my parents house but is in my name and the other I bought. My wife has two flats in Spain as well. Lets ignore my wife's flats for now. The houses that I own in the US are nothing great. One is a two bedroom one bath on half an acre. It is located in Jamestown PA. Nothing large or fancy but is in good shape. More like a vacation cabin. The others aside from that which is technically my parents are about the same and they all value at about 100k give or take (in this market). When we get back to the states I have thought about selling them and getting one place. (Aside from the one my parents live in that is.)

However, that is a double edged sword in this market. Will they sell, if they do sell, what will I actually get for them? On the other hand, buying in this market would be nice.

w2amr
09-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Nope. Two of them came from deaths in the family. One of them is technically my parents house but is in my name and the other I bought. My wife has two flats in Spain as well. Lets ignore my wife's flats for now. The houses that I own in the US are nothing great. One is a two bedroom one bath on half an acre. It is located in Jamestown PA. Nothing large or fancy but is in good shape. More like a vacation cabin. The others aside from that which is technically my parents are about the same and they all value at about 100k give or take (in this market). When we get back to the states I have thought about selling them and getting one place. (Aside from the one my parents live in that is.)

However, that is a double edged sword in this market. Will they sell, if they do sell, what will I actually get for them? On the other hand, buying in this market would be nice.
What to do. Wish I had your problem.

n2ize
09-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Heck, if I was at that fester I would have bought the 122 VFO and the TR Switch (although I still love my Dow Key). . Maybe the Hammarlund but that would be a bit iffy.

n2ize
09-25-2012, 07:18 AM

Hah... You really want a Viking 500 ?? It's a nice rig. Friend of mine bought one and I got to play around with it. A few basic mods to the speech amp and modulator and it sounds awesome on AM. Also, in stock 9factory) condition I find the RF deck a bit sturdier than the Globe King 500 RF Deck. But they are both awesome rigs.

wa6mhz
09-25-2012, 08:35 AM
How much did the Invader go for? I saw one at Pacificon last year, thought about it for a second, which was a second too long and it was GONE!!! Those are exceptionall rare and desirable! I have all the rest except the Johnson TR switch. Those are hard to find for sale, as everyone wants to keep and use them.

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Hah... You really want a Viking 500 ?? It's a nice rig. Friend of mine bought one and I got to play around with it. A few basic mods to the speech amp and modulator and it sounds awesome on AM. Also, in stock 9factory) condition I find the RF deck a bit sturdier than the Globe King 500 RF Deck. But they are both awesome rigs.

Well, what I really want is a set of Gold Dust Twins. Im not sure that I want to sell one of my cars to get that setup though. :P

When I get back to the states, a new shack needs to be assembled. I have decided on a few things but not all. I do want an AM setup but I am very indecisive. I know where I can get a 32V-2/75A-1 setup for a decent price but Im not sure if I want to go that route. Another friend has a 75A-2 and 75A-4 that he is willing to let go of one or the other. Other options I have at my disposal are either a heath TX-1 or DX-100B. I could match either one of those to my HQ-129X for the time being if need be.

Only time will tell. However, I would really like to go with something that gives 100W (at least) on 80 and 160. That cuts out the Collins Xmitter. It would do what, about 60w and does not have 160. A Ranger would give me 160 but put me at about 40W's which has been suggested that I do not go that route by more than a few on here.

Most of the suggestions I have got from people here over they last year are to go with something like a Valiant or DX-100 for my xmitter and match it with either n HQ-170, NC-300, or NC-303. A DX-100 and HQ-170 is a pretty cheap route to go money wise and seems to be rather popular as well.

I suppose I could look outside of the box as well at commercial gear.

w2amr
09-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Heck, if I was at that fester I would have bought the 122 VFO and the TR Switch (although I still love my Dow Key).
The T/R switch will switch the antenna, but has no provisions for receiver muting.

w2amr
09-25-2012, 01:12 PM
How much did the Invader go for? I saw one at Pacificon last year, thought about it for a second, which was a second too long and it was GONE!!! I sold the 170 with the invader for $175. The receiver has problems, and the invader had the wrong cabinet.

AE1PT
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Most of the suggestions I have got from people here over they last year are to go with something like a Valiant or DX-100 for my xmitter and match it with either n HQ-170, NC-300, or NC-303. A DX-100 and HQ-170 is a pretty cheap route to go money wise and seems to be rather popular as well.

I decided on the Valiant/NC-300 pair. Seeing as both needed a bit of work, the price was right on both. HOWEVER--it is the recapping and other component changes that eat the money. I will have as much in that as the rigs themselves, but both will be like new (and with a few proven/factory mods) even better. Take a peek at the whole process here:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?337239-Have-Boatanchors-Will-Solder

Personally I am very fond of the 32V series. Did quite a bit of service work on them and the 75A's. The pair you describe being available could form the basis of a very sweet early 50s AM/CW station.

P.S. If anyone ever pulls the slide rule dial assembly loose for cleaning, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE NUMBERS ON THE BARS. They will flake off in a heartbeat... :angry:

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 06:40 PM
I decided on the Valiant/NC-300 pair. Seeing as both needed a bit of work, the price was right on both. HOWEVER--it is the recapping and other component changes that eat the money. I will have as much in that as the rigs themselves, but both will be like new (and with a few proven/factory mods) even better. Take a peek at the whole process here:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?337239-Have-Boatanchors-Will-Solder

Personally I am very fond of the 32V series. Did quite a bit of service work on them and the 75A's. The pair you describe being available could form the basis of a very sweet early 50s AM/CW station.

P.S. If anyone ever pulls the slide rule dial assembly loose for cleaning, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE NUMBERS ON THE BARS. They will flake off in a heartbeat... :angry:

Yes, I recall you posting that.

n2ize
09-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Well, what I really want is a set of Gold Dust Twins. Im not sure that I want to sell one of my cars to get that setup though. :P

When I get back to the states, a new shack needs to be assembled. I have decided on a few things but not all. I do want an AM setup but I am very indecisive. I know where I can get a 32V-2/75A-1 setup for a decent price but Im not sure if I want to go that route. Another friend has a 75A-2 and 75A-4 that he is willing to let go of one or the other. Other options I have at my disposal are either a heath TX-1 or DX-100B. I could match either one of those to my HQ-129X for the time being if need be.

Only time will tell. However, I would really like to go with something that gives 100W (at least) on 80 and 160. That cuts out the Collins Xmitter. It would do what, about 60w and does not have 160. A Ranger would give me 160 but put me at about 40W's which has been suggested that I do not go that route by more than a few on here.

I suppose I could look outside of the box as well at commercial gear.

If you want 100w on 75 and 160 AM go for a Johnson Viking 2 (CD+ 122 VFO). You can't go wrong. I own one. First thing I did was to relocated the wirewound resistor under the chassis of the VFO and the stability of the vfo improved dramatically.For a 60 year old VFO it stays where I put it. That rig is a workhorse, built like an army tank, easy to modify and work on, very forgiving, is very capable of "hi fi" AM with relatively simple mods and likes to kkeep on ticking.. Many other great mods for it too like solid stating out the power supplies (very easy just replace the hollow state rectifiers with solid state, easy to change the mod Iron but not nessesary, switching from 807 modulators to 811's , etc. all depending on how far you want to go with the thing. I'll admit, it's not the prettiest rig in the world but for an ancient radio it can still pull its own weight and then some. CD version (full coverage from 1.8 - 30 mc. or the ham version) you can't go wrong.

KB3LAZ
09-25-2012, 07:28 PM
If you want 100w on 75 and 160 AM go for a Johnson Viking 2 (CD+ 122 VFO). You can't go wrong. I own one. First thing I did was to relocated the wirewound resistor under the chassis of the VFO and the stability of the vfo improved dramatically.For a 60 year old VFO it stays where I put it. That rig is a workhorse, built like an army tank, easy to modify and work on, very forgiving, is very capable of "hi fi" AM with relatively simple mods and likes to kkeep on ticking.. Many other great mods for it too like solid stating out the power supplies (very easy just replace the hollow state rectifiers with solid state, easy to change the mod Iron but not nessesary, switching from 807 modulators to 811's , etc. all depending on how far you want to go with the thing. I'll admit, it's not the prettiest rig in the world but for an ancient radio it can still pull its own weight and then some. CD version (full coverage from 1.8 - 30 mc. or the ham version) you can't go wrong.

Finding one that does not look like it has been run over by a truck is tough. I see them on eham, QTH, and ebay now and again but it looks like they were really used to anchor a boat.

K7SGJ
09-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Looks like a fun project. Be sure to post some AFTER pix here.

w2amr
09-26-2012, 03:18 AM
If you want 100w on 75 and 160 AM go for a Johnson Viking 2 (CD+ 122 VFO). You can't go wrong. I own one. First thing I did was to relocated the wirewound resistor under the chassis of the VFO and the stability of the vfo improved dramatically.For a 60 year old VFO it stays where I put it. That rig is a workhorse, built like an army tank, easy to modify and work on, very forgiving, is very capable of "hi fi" AM with relatively simple mods and likes to kkeep on ticking.. Many other great mods for it too like solid stating out the power supplies (very easy just replace the hollow state rectifiers with solid state, easy to change the mod Iron but not nessesary, switching from 807 modulators to 811's , etc. all depending on how far you want to go with the thing. I'll admit, it's not the prettiest rig in the world but for an ancient radio it can still pull its own weight and then some. CD version (full coverage from 1.8 - 30 mc. or the ham version) you can't go wrong.Back in the 80's ,Phil/KB2MAM was bitching on the air about not having any projects. That summer I picked up a Viking II and A 122 VFO at the Gloucester county hamfester, then had UPS ship it to Staten island as a gift . He restored it , modified the audio, and it sounds great. When he passed, I got it back from his estate. I have it paired with a really nice National NC-173. It is a very special transmitter. I also have the Valiant which was his primary transmitter. I have that paired with my NC-303.

n2ize
09-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Back in the 80's ,Phil/KB2MAM was bitching on the air about not having any projects. That summer I picked up a Viking II and A 122 VFO at the Gloucester county hamfester, then had UPS ship it to Staten island as a gift . He restored it , modified the audio, and it sounds great. When he passed, I got it back from his estate. I have it paired with a really nice National NC-173. It is a very special transmitter. I also have the Valiant which was his primary transmitter. I have that paired with my NC-303.

i think I remember when you got Phil the Viking. I remember he was looking for a spare drive pot for it. I believe he eventually got one, either I had an extra and sent it to him or maybe someone else had a spare. I remember talking with him over the air a few times about audio modifications and I recall he got it sounding pretty good. But most of the time I remember him running the Valiant which also had nice audio quality. He always put out a nice signal on 75 meters. I forget what he was using as the antenna system but it seemed to work great, he always had a very respectable signal. Very sad moment when I heard Phil passed, he was one heck of a great person and his radios could not have gone to a better home and a better caretaker.

wa6mhz
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
I sold the 170 with the invader for $175. The receiver has problems, and the invader had the wrong cabinet.

DOGGONE!!!! Shame I missed that sale. I don't need a 170, but that was a Bargain for the Invader! Rats! Well, my WIFE would be happy I didn't get it!

n2ize
09-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Finding one that does not look like it has been run over by a truck is tough. I see them on eham, QTH, and ebay now and again but it looks like they were really used to anchor a boat.

Think of it this way... My Viking 2 has been on this earth longer than me. It was born in 1952 and me in 1957. Most of them are going on 60 years old and probably a lot of them have been sitting in basements and are going to require some serious cleaning and restoration, i.e. recapping, etc. But once you get them going they are great rigs. Still, you have to consider how much restoration you are willing to do when you buy an older (or in this case ancient) radio. And tubes are expensive these days as well. Well the three rectifier tubes can easily be replaces with solid state diodes, the driver and speech amp tubes can be bypassed or replaced with a solid state circuit (which is what I wound up doing with mine), 6146's are expensive nowadays if you buy them online but sometimes can be had cheap at hamfests or maybe even this forum. 807's (the modulators) are still plentiful and I can probably help out with those. Old rigs are great and can be a lot of fun but there is the tradeoff. depending on condition and how long its been sitting around you might have to invest in considerable amount of restoration work in order to get a return.

w2amr
09-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Think of it this way... My Viking 2 has been on this earth longer than me. It was born in 1952 and me in 1957. Most of them are going on 60 years old and probably a lot of them have been sitting in basements and are going to require some serious cleaning and restoration, i.e. recapping, etc. But once you get them going they are great rigs. Still, you have to consider how much restoration you are willing to do when you buy an older (or in this case ancient) radio. And tubes are expensive these days as well. Well the three rectifier tubes can easily be replaces with solid state diodes, the driver and speech amp tubes can be bypassed or replaced with a solid state circuit (which is what I wound up doing with mine), 6146's are expensive nowadays if you buy them online but sometimes can be had cheap at hamfests or maybe even this forum. 807's (the modulators) are still plentiful and I can probably help out with those. Old rigs are great and can be a lot of fun but there is the tradeoff. depending on condition and how long its been sitting around you might have to invest in considerable amount of restoration work in order to get a return.K2AW diode stacks are the way to go. Even though Mercury vapor rectumfiers are pretty to watch.

n2ize
09-26-2012, 09:29 PM
K2AW diode stacks are the way to go. Even though Mercury vapor rectumfiers are pretty to watch.

Yeah, the diode stacks work great. Just plug em right into the tube sockets and that's it. I have used them. Or, if you must go hollow state the 3B28 gas rectifiers also work great. They directly replace the mercury rectifiers. I use them in the Valiant. Much less problematic than the mercury rectifiers, less warm-up required and fewer issues. I use them in the Valiant and have never had any problems with them. I believe they use argon gas instead of mercury vapour. But yeah, the solid state stacks are the best way to go.

Believe it or not the NYC Subway system used to run on mercury vapour rectifier tubes.

w2amr
09-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Yeah, the diode stacks work great. Just plug em right into the tube sockets and that's it. I have used them. Or, if you must go hollow state the 3B28 gas rectifiers also work great. They directly replace the mercury rectifiers. I use them in the Valiant. Much less problematic than the mercury rectifiers, less warm-up required and fewer issues. I use them in the Valiant and have never had any problems with them. I believe they use argon gas instead of mercury vapour. But yeah, the solid state stacks are the best way to go. When I was getting the Johnson 500 up and running, it kept blowing fuses on the high voltage side. I put in a brand new set of 866's , and it stll did it. Phil suggested I replace them with K2AW diodes, and I never blew another fuse. They aren't plug ins though. I remove the tube sockets and mounted the diodes on the chassis with porcelain stand offs.

n2ize
09-27-2012, 02:01 PM
When I was getting the Johnson 500 up and running, it kept blowing fuses on the high voltage side. I put in a brand new set of 866's , and it stll did it. Phil suggested I replace them with K2AW diodes, and I never blew another fuse. They aren't plug ins though. I remove the tube sockets and mounted the diodes on the chassis with porcelain stand offs.

I always had trouble with the 866's when I was running them in the Valiant. Lots of flashovers, burned fuses, etc. And this was with a new pair, given ample warmup time .The 3B28 argon rectifiers never gave me a problem. They don't have the nice bluish glow of the 866's, they glow a deep purple color. I should replace them with the solid state devices in the picture you posted. The HV supply on my globe king is already solid stated. In place of the 866's there sits a pair of those Peter Dahl plug in type diode stacks. If need be I can always borrow them and run them in the Valiant.

K7SGJ
09-27-2012, 06:47 PM
When I was getting the Johnson 500 up and running, it kept blowing fuses on the high voltage side. I put in a brand new set of 866's , and it stll did it. Phil suggested I replace them with K2AW diodes, and I never blew another fuse. They aren't plug ins though. I remove the tube sockets and mounted the diodes on the chassis with porcelain stand offs.

I think the current is a little high for that device. 750Ma maybe?

w2amr
09-28-2012, 03:32 AM
I always had trouble with the 866's when I was running them in the Valiant. Lots of flashovers, burned fuses, etc. And this was with a new pair, given ample warmup time .The 3B28 argon rectifiers never gave me a problem. They don't have the nice bluish glow of the 866's, they glow a deep purple color. I should replace them with the solid state devices in the picture you posted. The HV supply on my globe king is already solid stated. In place of the 866's there sits a pair of those Peter Dahl plug in type diode stacks. If need be I can always borrow them and run them in the Valiant.I never though to use the argon tubes. Funny, I could not find anything wrong with the transmitter. Yet , it continued to blow fuses untill I put in the diodes.

n2ize
09-28-2012, 11:08 AM
I never though to use the argon tubes. Funny, I could not find anything wrong with the transmitter. Yet , it continued to blow fuses untill I put in the diodes.
Could be that one or both of the 866's was internally shorted. This sometimes happens when or if they arc over internally. The fuse was there to save your power transformer from looking into a direct short... Whoops you said it still blew the fuse even when you put a new pair in,,, That's strange. I assume you gave them a few minutes of warmup before throwing the plate voltage ? With the 866's its critical that the mercury vapourized via the filament inside the tube before you apply the high voltage. Ah well, going solid state did solve the problem...

w2amr
09-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Could be that one or both of the 866's was internally shorted. This sometimes happens when or if they arc over internally. The fuse was there to save your power transformer from looking into a direct short... Whoops you said it still blew the fuse even when you put a new pair in,,, That's strange. I assume you gave them a few minutes of warmup before throwing the plate voltage ? With the 866's its critical that the mercury vapourized via the filament inside the tube before you apply the high voltage. Ah well, going solid state did solve the problem... Yep, a mystery that will go unsolved.

n2ize
09-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Some mysteries are meant to remain unsolved. All old boat anchors harbour many a mystery. LOL..

w2amr
09-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Hey John, look what I found.

n2ize
09-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Hey John, look what I found.

Wow !! That is awesome !! :) I alnost forgot that back in those days you were N2GBY. Believe it or not I still have a bunch of those QSL cards and a sent a couple recently to a few hams who requested them on recent vhf contacts...yes I am still presently active on vhf. Over the past few years I haven't been thinking ,much about radio but over the past couple weeks the HF bug has been biting me again and I want to get back on the air and I want to fire up some tubes and dig into some transmitter projects again. The Viking 2 still works, the Valiant needs work and the Globe King works but I still need to finish the modulator. . I tried to fire up the new antenna a few days ago but the line I was using was too heavy and kept getting tangled in the branches. I've got a roll of 20 lb test fishing line on order which will hopefully do the trick.

w2amr
09-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Wow !! That is awesome !! :) I alnost forgot that back in those days you were N2GBY. Believe it or not I still have a bunch of those QSL cards and a sent a couple recently to a few hams who requested them on recent vhf contacts...yes I am still presently active on vhf. Over the past few years I haven't been thinking ,much about radio but over the past couple weeks the HF bug has been biting me again and I want to get back on the air and I want to fire up some tubes and dig into some transmitter projects again. The Viking 2 still works, the Valiant needs work and the Globe King works but I still need to finish the modulator. . I tried to fire up the new antenna a few days ago but the line I was using was too heavy and kept getting tangled in the branches. I've got a roll of 20 lb test fishing line on order which will hopefully do the trick.I'm not very active on the bands anymore. For about 15 years my life revolved around ham radio, but I think I burned myself out. When you are up and running on 75, we really should set up an early morning sked , just for old time sake.

w2amr
09-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Here is another one John.

n2ize
09-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Here is another one John.

Brings back a lot of memories. I really miss Phil. He was a great person and a hell of a nice guy. I remember speaking with him over the phone a few times and having some interesting conversations. Of course it was also great to speak with you guys on the air. I remember we used to meet on 75 right around 3885 kc in the wee hours of the morning soon after the New England gangsta's signed off. Seems lkike it was just yesterday, I can't believe how fast the years have gone. I was in my early 30's back then, now I'm an old geezer... :lol:

I'm not very active on the bands anymore. For about 15 years my life revolved around ham radio, but I think I burned myself out.

Hobbies are like that. Every now and then you need to take a break. Actually I lost interest for quite a while plus I have had a lot of other things to keep me busy. But I am starting to get interested again and I'd really like to fire up the ol' boatanchors again.

When you are up and running on 75, we really should set up an early morning sked , just for old time sake.

Will do. I'm going to have another go at stringing the antenna. Once I have it in the air I should be more or less ready to go. I'll keep you posted.