PDA

View Full Version : The "Un"-Whacker Tale

XE1/N5AL
09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Today, I got back home from a drive across Central Mexico. At one point, I passed a very small town and remembered what I had seen at that same spot, back in 2008:

I was driving eastward, passing down the winding mountain highway. Coming around a curve, I saw that the traffic in front of me had stopped. From my high vantage point, there were miles of cars along the serpentine path, leading downward, in front of me. In many years of driving this highway, I had never seen so many cars. There had to be a bad wreck miles ahead, and unfortunately, there were no detours to get around the accident.

After several minutes, the traffic began moving very slowly; just ten, or twenty feet every now and then. Eventually, I got closer and closer ot the action. But, I still couldn't see the accident since it was hidden by some trees around a sharp curve in the road below. I could see dozens of residents of a tiny speck of a town, named Puerta del Rio (Door of the River), rushing to the accident with big five-gallon buckets in hand. I thought: "what a responsive community; there is an accident on the highway and the townsfolk come prepared to help with gallons of water!"

But, as I got closer, I realized those five-gallon buckets were actually empty. There was no water being carried to combat a fire, nor wash down a chemical spill. However, the residents were returning from the accident with buckets that were full. I couldn't tell what they were carrying.

After about forty-five minutes, I got close enough to see the actual accident site. A beer truck had lost control coming down the mountain and had flipped-over around the sharp curve. There were hundreds of broken beer bottles strewn-out across the highway. The residents of Puerta del Rio weren't there to help, they were there for FREE BEER -- their big buckets holding as many unbroken beer bottles that each could carry!

VE7DCW
09-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Wow!!! ....there is only one person I know who thought he died and went to heaven if he ever came across a scene like that!!!

Take it away ....... Bob !!! (NA4BH) :rock:

WN9HJW
09-17-2012, 04:28 AM
Deleted.

K7SGJ
09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Some years ago in the DC area there was an incident on I-95 where a truck carrying meat lost part its cargo on the road. People were actually stopping and getting out in the 60mph+ interstate highway traffic, to gather up all these peices of meat strewn about.

The driver was yelling "GRAB YOUR MEAT AND BEAT IT"

NY3V
09-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Dos Equis or Cerveza? ;)

kb2vxa
09-17-2012, 11:41 PM
There's a lot more where that came from.

That reminds me of the good old days before New Jersey Transit took over the old Lehigh Valley tracks through Union, NJ when it was a freight line. There was a derailment where it goes over Morris Avenue and behind Kean University, turned out to be a short haul out of Budweiser in Newark. Boxcars ripped open and beer all over the place, but cops were everywhere knowing full well college kids are attracted to beer like flies to poop... oh well.

KG4NEL
09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Some years ago in the DC area there was an incident on I-95 where a truck carrying meat lost part its cargo on the road. People were actually stopping and getting out in the 60mph+ interstate highway traffic, to gather up all these peices of meat strewn about.

There was a rollover on 270 not too long ago with a Bud truck.

I doubt there'd be any difference in taste, Bud's always tasted like it sat on the highway for the afternoon anyway.

kb2vxa
09-18-2012, 11:24 PM
It tastes better mixed with Diesel and journal grease.