PDA

View Full Version : Eulogy

W5GA
09-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Dad passed at about 11:00 this morning, not as he wished, but we don't get to make those choices. He wanted to go in his sleep, unfortunately his sleep was morphine induced in his last days. The Hospice nurse thinks his prostate cancer had metastized into bone cancer.

Charles Newton Weller, aged 90 and a few days.

Dad grew up in western New York, a little burg called Dunkirk not far from the lake. He had a life long passion for photography, but was never able to make a living at it, so he found employment as a pressman working for various newspapers in New York, Arizona and California. He retired from the Fresno Bee 25 years ago, and spent many of the remaining years indulging his other passion, which was fishing.

He taught me how to fish for salmon on the Sacramento river in the mid '90's. We had many a fine day on the river with the sun shining and lots of teasing to go around. My best effort was a 46 pounder, which he had a tremendous laugh over, because I snagged it by the tail. I believe his all time record was over 50 pounds. They all tasted great, regardless...especially after smoking!

He also enjoyed doing photo restorations for people. He would take old photos that had been damaged over time by mishandling, and make them look new again. He never charged for doing this, taking his payment in smiles when people saw the restored piece. They were always thrilled when some family heirloom with fold lines, water damage etc. was brought back to life, and he took great joy is seeing the looks on their faces. He would spend days and days getting them to look just like new. It was really sad when he realized that as the Alzheimer's progressed that he couldn't do it anymore, as he couldn't remember how to use the software any longer. We have over 8000 photos to go through, and a couple thousand slides. That's a LOT of family history!

After his wife passed 10 years ago, he had another lady friend, and they had a grand time going here and there. They both loved to dance, and had many a fine evening doing so.

Dad was an absolute gem of a man, with never a bad word to say about anybody.

RIP - you will be sorely missed.

KG4CGC
09-16-2012, 06:41 PM
You and your family are in my thoughts. It's a hard one but knowing that a parent is in a better place helps even though they will still be missed.

NA4BH
09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Thoughts and prayers are being sent your way.

KA9MOT
09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, Doug. He sounds like a great person and an even better dad.

NQ6U
09-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Accept my condolences, Doug.

Great job on your Dad's story, BTW. I did a lot of salmon fishing on the Sacramento River during the Nineties so, who knows, maybe your dad and I saw each other there one fine day.

AE1PT
09-16-2012, 07:58 PM
My sympathy to you and yours, Doug.

K7SGJ
09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
My condolences also, Doug. It sounds like you have a treasure trove of memories and photos to remember your Mom and Dad. Hold all those memories close to your heart, and your family will always be with you.

PA5COR
09-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Our condolences from me and my family Dough, even if you expect it to happen, it is never easy.
Take care.

N2NH
09-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Please accept my condolences. It is always heart wrenching to have a loved one pass.

kf0rt
09-17-2012, 05:52 AM
My condolences as well, Doug. Very sad to lose a parent.

NY4Q
09-17-2012, 06:06 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family.

KB3LAZ
09-17-2012, 06:32 AM
I am not very good at these kind of things, particularly when I lose someone. Normally, I shut myself off and play the role of the strong one for the rest of the family. I am truly sorry for your loss and I hope you deal with these things better than I do. I would like to believe that our loved ones go to a better place when they pass from this world to the realm of the nether but sadly, I do not, at least not directly. What I do believe is that our loved ones live on through their lineage, you and yours. They live on forever in the form of memories within the ones they "touched" during their short time on this earth.

Some cultures believe that death is a time of mourning whereas other believe it is a time of celebration. I fall somewhere in the middle. So, if you look at it that way; it is a time for you to celebrate the good times you had with your father and immortalize those memories in glass, if you will. Or rather the libraries of your mind. Whenever you miss him you can call upon those memories for a well needed smile and maybe even a laugh. Sure, there will be times that this brings tears to your eyes, either happy or sad but that is a good thing, regardless.

Just remember to cherish those memories and life lessons. If there is an afterlife, I am sure your father is smiling down on you.

Doug, keep strong. You and your family are in my thoughts.

ab1ga
09-17-2012, 06:36 AM
My codolences, Doug.

N8YX
09-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Sorry to hear of your father's passing, Doug - sounds like a man who truly loved life. Wet a line and think kind memories of him...

W3WN
09-17-2012, 07:25 AM
My condolences as well Doug.

N2CHX
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he led a long and wonderful life and left a lot of great memories to cherish.

WØTKX
09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Sorry to hear it Doug. That story is good. Charles Newton, cool name.
Even I will think of him when I eat salmon... as I did last night.

Thoughts about an unknown Charlie with good taste. :yes:

I'm so glad he had a second romance after a long marriage.

What music did he love to dance to? Was there a favorite tune?

We could play some songs in this thread. He'd like that, I bet.

W5GA
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Sorry to hear it Doug. That story is good. Charles Newton, cool name.
Even I will think of him when I eat salmon... as I did last night.

Thoughts about an unknown Charlie with good taste. :yes:

I'm so glad he had a second romance after a long marriage.

What music did he love to dance to? Was there a favorite tune?

We could play some songs in this thread. He'd like that, I bet.
Many thanks, one and all.

Dave, if you know any big band swing, please crank it up. He'd love that.

X-Rated
09-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Doug,

Bless you and your family in these times. I am sorry to hear of your dad's passing and if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

KK4AMI
09-17-2012, 02:36 PM
My sympathy's Doug. Losing a parent is hard thing, because you get use to them always being there for you.
If you have children, by returning the same favors of your time and love it will best honor your parent's memory.

suddenseer
09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
I am sad to read about your loss. It seems your dad was one helluva guy. You are lucky to have a dad like that. His testament will be renewed when the day comes that your off spring says the same things about you.

WØTKX
09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Many thanks, one and all.

Dave, if you know any big band swing, please crank it up. He'd love that.

Well, this version of SING SING SING, rocks... er swings!

There is a bonus that starts at 3:11, totally tasty vibraharp. :rock:

http://youtu.be/lTzP7ecGQiw

W5GA
09-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Well, this version of SING SING SING, rocks... er swings!

There is a bonus that starts at 3:11, totally tasty vibraharp. :rock:

That was way too cool! He would have loved it! My youngest as well, he plays baritone horn.

N7YA
09-18-2012, 12:13 AM
90 years? Pops did good....i hope i make it to 90 and is as well loved and respected as your father was. My hats off to your dad, Doug. I know its never easy to say goodbye, but you can at least know he made a hell of a good run. But for those left behind, you and your family are in my thoughts.

W4GPL
09-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Very sorry to hear this, Doug. :( My most heartfelt sympathies.