PDA

View Full Version : Helen vs Ham radio

KC9ECI
09-16-2012, 04:56 PM
We spent the weekend at Perrot State Park and I thought I'd get a little ham radio time in. I managed to work just one QSO via JT65 when Helen decided that it was time for dad to let her have some time on the air. Somehow I don't think I'm going to have my shack all to myself much longer...

http://youtu.be/ECuXXbFs0es

NQ6U
09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
She's gonna be kicking your ass in contests before you know it.

KA9MOT
09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
That is awesome! Way to go Helen!

KC9ECI
09-16-2012, 05:26 PM
She's gonna be kicking your ass in contests before you know it.

Of this I have no doubt.

kb2vxa
09-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Uh oh, you have a wave magnet there and I don't mean Zenith.

KJ4FEL
09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
That is outstanding!!! Great Job!!

N8YX
09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Ya done good, Tom. :agree:

W3WN
09-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Yes, you've done good.

Now: Put up a second independant antenna & buy another radio.

I am also reminded of an old story I read, many years ago... OM was talking on HF to a friend, lamenting his wife's operating. Something to do with a pink radio, IIRC...

KC9ECI
09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
This just means she's getting put to work on Field Day 2013 and on.

K7SGJ
09-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Oh what a dog you are. Stations flock to yls and xyls. What a way to fill the logbook. :lol: It looks like she is doing an outstanding job, I hope she continues to be lured by the magic of radio.

ETA That's a great name she has. That was my Moms name, too.

KC9ECI
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
She was named after her maternal grandmother.

She and her mom are going to be camping at a Girl Scout event next weekend, in celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouting in the USA. The Wisconsin Valley Radio Association is putting on a ham radio station for them. I expect that she will do well with that one. I have other obligations next weekend so I won't be tagging along. I should contact the MVRA guys and see if we can't set something up so when it's Helens turn on the radio, I can be on the other end.

K7SGJ
09-16-2012, 08:20 PM

She and her mom are going to be camping at a Girl Scout event next weekend, in celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouting in the USA. The Wisconsin Valley Radio Association is putting on a ham radio station for them. I expect that she will do well with that one. I have other obligations next weekend so I won't be tagging along. I should contact the MVRA guys and see if we can't set something up so when it's Helens turn on the radio, I can be on the other end.

Don't tell her, and if you can hook up, it will blow her mind to talk to her Dad on the radio.

KC9ECI
09-17-2012, 07:00 PM
That was the plan. Not sure how it will turn out now, it's looking pretty certain that I will be working Saturday.

K7SGJ
09-17-2012, 07:40 PM
That's a pisser. Maybe a trip to the mobile at lunch?

KC9ECI
09-17-2012, 10:13 PM
No such thing as a ham radio in my vehicle. I only live 3 blocks from work and spend so little time in my truck that it would never get used. I'm working late so hopefully I can either get ahead of the ship date on the order or only have to put in a half day on Saturday.

k1oik
09-18-2012, 05:08 AM
A puppet on a string. Give your call again Say 73 Say your name, say 73 and thank you, say qsl, say where are, say it is home to the Hopewell indians, say have a good weekend
The kid sounds intelligent, let her do it ALONE.
My daughter got licensed at age 8 was not allowed on the air until
1. She could do it by her self
2. Had her own license

KC9ECI
09-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Burt, as far as I'm concerned, you're about as annoying as a flaming bag of dogshit. Please feel free to go fuck yourself at any point.

I seldom add anyone to an ignore list, but congrats for that old man, you just earned a place on a very exclusive list.

ki4itv
09-18-2012, 06:25 AM
:lol:
well done Tom.
er, on both topics.

W3WN
09-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Tom,

When we get closer to the weekend, if you get any indication of times or frequencies that they Girl Scouts plan to operate, let us know. Some of us like to encourage young operators... can't make any promises (I have a deck to finish) but I'll give it a try, at least.

K7SGJ
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM

Too bad. She probably missed out on a lot of fun, and a chance to "ease" into the hobby. At least Toms' daughter will have some experience and confidence prior to going it alone. I think that is why the FCC allows, or even encourages, anyone to talk on the radio as long as a licensed op is in control of the station. If everyone held your opinion, the Scouts, Schools, and other organizations would not be sparking any interest in radio for today's youngsters. Not to mention all those unlicensed kids, and adults, that wouldn't have had an opportunity to talk with the astronauts aboard the ISS.

KA9MOT
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Tom,

When we get closer to the weekend, if you get any indication of times or frequencies that they Girl Scouts plan to operate, let us know. Some of us like to encourage young operators... can't make any promises (I have a deck to finish) but I'll give it a try, at least.

I'm in!

KC9ECI
09-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks all. I will let you know the whens and wheres as soon as I can.

XE1/N5AL
09-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi Tom,

A job well done by your daughter Helen! I hope she will follow your footsteps into the ham radio hobby. Kids have a lot of fun on the radio at special event and contest stations. When our club does Field Day, there is always one (and sometimes two) station(s) being operated by kids. They are very competitive and do a fantastic job in racking up the points! The running joke is: to put a youngster in front of the microphone is equivalent to a 6 dB increase in transmit power -- because the operator on the other end will almost always select their young voices from the pileups.

k1oik
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Burt, as far as I'm concerned, you're about as annoying as a flaming bag of dogshit. Please feel free to go fuck yourself at any point.

I seldom add anyone to an ignore list, but congrats for that old man, you just earned a place on a very exclusive list.Jesus Christ you deal with children with that potty mouth?
Amazing
You have 9 million lookups on QRZ, HONESTLY, what a role model
The kid is obviously intelligent, God knows where she got it from if you are related to her.

I am impressed by the depth of your vocabulary.
Am I supposed to care that you ignore me?
To be thought an ass by an ass is a compliment
Please I cannot do to myself what apparently you seem to have some knowledge of, to know that it is possible

KA9MOT
09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Jesus has a potty mouth? Damn, who knew?

k1oik
09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
My daughter operating a relatively small station in Connecticut, managed the pileup for about 45 minutes with no one helping her. The girl in the video at the head of this thread is clearly capable to do the same thing if ALLOWED to do so

N8YX
09-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Ummm...Burt...this thread isn't about you.

KC9ECI
09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Burt who?

KA9MOT
09-18-2012, 05:06 PM
My daughter operating a relatively small station in Connecticut, managed the pileup for about 45 minutes with no one helping her. The girl in the video at the head of this thread is clearly capable to do the same thing if ALLOWED to do so

What? No video Burt? I have a picture of Stevie "Operating" but that doesn't prove he did. Your gonna have to trot out the video before I believe this is your kid and that she was operating.

There is nothing wrong with coaching an inexperienced operator until they are comfortable with the process regardless of age. When your daughter turned 16 did you hand her the car keys and tell her, "Here, go figure out how on your own."

KA9MOT
09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Burt who?

Just another attention whore trying to get some attention

k1oik
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Totally correct. It is about an intelligent child being treated like a puppet and than video taping it.
With a little effort a child can be taught to do it on their own. I showed that my child is NOT special in operating W1AW, any child who is allowed to succeed can do it.
Will the child in this thread have her hand held by her dad on her first day in college?

k1oik
09-18-2012, 05:58 PM
What? No video Burt? I have a picture of Stevie "Operating" but that doesn't prove he did. Your gonna have to trot out the video before I believe this is your kid and that she was operating.

There is nothing wrong with coaching an inexperienced operator until they are comfortable with the process regardless of age. When your daughter turned 16 did you hand her the car keys and tell her, "Here, go figure out how on your own."

The youngster in your photo looks great.
I did not own a video camera in 1990, but I have many pictures7297

Maybe you can check with the ARRL official in the photo

KJ3N
09-18-2012, 06:04 PM

Oh, but it is. It's always about Burt the Disgustingly Unabashed Attention Whore.

It doesn't matter if it's good attention, or bad. It's all about the attention, period.

:lame: :roll:

kb2vxa
09-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Sheesh, that console looks more complicated than the radio! Whatever happened to SIMPLE mics? (;->)

k1oik
09-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Oh, but it is. It's always about Burt the Disgustingly Unabashed Attention Whore.

It doesn't matter if it's good attention, or bad. It's all about the attention, period.

:lame: :roll:
You seem to know a lot about whores.

A puppet on a string. Give your call again Say 73 Say your name, say 73 and thank you, say qsl, say where are, say it is home to the Hopewell indians, say have a good weekend

KG4NEL
09-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Where's the picture of that chameleon?

N8YX
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Enough.

The OP may start another thread regarding his daughter's accomplishments and the trash talk will be left out of it.

WØTKX
09-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks Burt. Wait, haven't I seen you before? Oh, yea...

http://youtu.be/X54qDdaACh4

http://youtu.be/X54qDdaACh4