PDA

View Full Version : DUH! Freakin' moron..... Learn something new everyday!

KA9MOT
09-16-2012, 02:19 AM
So, I heard the special event station on 40M from St Louis, W6P. He's calling CQ and I thought, "Cool, I wonder what that is all about?"

At almost the exact same time I hear my buddy N9WFT, Dan (We took our General tests together) call him and they had an exchange. Dan is one of those guys who wants to rag chew with everybody, and was doing his best to get the Special Event Station (Route 66 Special Event) to set and talk a bit. The station did for a minute, signed and called CQ. I called him and we exchanges reports and I spun the dial.

I jumped up to 20M and worked a couple of stations doing the CQ Salmon Run. The second station was being QRMed real bad by a station 100kc below us. I listened to the second station for a few more minutes and he said he was moving to 40 to get away from the QRM. I spun the dial and heard the QRMing station calling CQ Sprint. So, we have a contest going as well. I'm not a contester but do enjoy giving some of these folks the contact because it is fun.

I listened, wrote down the call, typed it into my logbook so all I would have to do is press Tab if the contact was made and my logging program would fill in most of the important stuff. As soon as I was prepared, I answered his CQ.

He came back to me first call, gave me a 59 report, told me his name, state and serial number. Gleaning what I needed to send him from his exchange, I told him 59, Steve, Illinois, 001, 73 and Good Luck OM!

He said, "Thank you very much, good luck and the frequency is yours"....... UH-Oh, why did he give me the frequency? I don't want the frequency..... Why would he offer me the frequency?

I'm a VFO turner.... I never ever camp on a frequency. I've called CQ once in my life and didn't enjoy it.....

Needless to say, silence ensued, the frequency was never used by me beyond my initial exchange with the contester.

So, after thinking about this for awhile I decided I'd better find the rules for this contest, and don't ya' know, that is how a Sprint works......

No more Sprints for me....

KG4NEL
09-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Tried it last year. Never again, at least until I get a kW :D

ki4itv
09-16-2012, 11:14 AM
I kinda like the handing over the frequency rule. Kinda changes the dynamics in a good way for me and leaves even the big guns scrambling for a new spot.

KA9MOT
09-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I kinda like the handing over the frequency rule. Kinda changes the dynamics in a good way for me and leaves even the big guns scrambling for a new spot.

It scares the hell out of me! :-D

KJ3N
09-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I jumped up to 20M and worked a couple of stations doing the CQ Salmon Run. The second station was being QRMed real bad by a station 100kc below us. I listened to the second station for a few more minutes and he said he was moving to 40 to get away from the QRM. I spun the dial and heard the QRMing station calling CQ Sprint.

I've got to ask if that's a typo. How does one get QRM from a station 100kc away? I've heard some bad signals out there, but never anything like that. 20kc is about the worse I've ever heard.

I listened, wrote down the call, typed it into my logbook so all I would have to do is press Tab if the contact was made and my logging program would fill in most of the important stuff. As soon as I was prepared, I answered his CQ.

He came back to me first call, gave me a 59 report, told me his name, state and serial number. Gleaning what I needed to send him from his exchange, I told him 59, Steve, Illinois, 001, 73 and Good Luck OM!

He said, "Thank you very much, good luck and the frequency is yours"....... UH-Oh, why did he give me the frequency? I don't want the frequency..... Why would he offer me the frequency?

I'm a VFO turner.... I never ever camp on a frequency. I've called CQ once in my life and didn't enjoy it.....

Needless to say, silence ensued, the frequency was never used by me beyond my initial exchange with the contester.

So, after thinking about this for awhile I decided I'd better find the rules for this contest, and don't ya' know, that is how a Sprint works......

No more Sprints for me....

One should consult the contest rules before jumping in. Might I suggest http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php ?

KA9MOT
09-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I've got to ask if that's a typo. How does one get QRM from a station 100kc away? I've heard some bad signals out there, but never anything like that. 20kc is about the worse I've ever heard.

Actually, It was a typo...... 14.263 vs. 14.264.

One should consult the contest rules before jumping in. Might I suggest http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php ?

Why? Usually, you can glean from the other stations exchange what you need for the exchange. Use of the frequency change through me... and in this case, I didn't know there was going to be a contest, didn't know what contest it was, and even with my trusted friend google, I had a hard time determining what contest was in play. I could have asked, "What contest is this and what are the rules?". Hell, the guy was calling CQ for 2 minutes with no answers..... I was just helping him out. He was probably thinking something was wrong with his station. I'm not even going to turn in a log.

Besides, what kind of screw ball set-up is that?

KJ3N
09-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Actually, It was a typo...... 14.263 vs. 14.264.

Yeah, that's a little different.

Besides, what kind of screw ball set-up is that?

I'm certainly no expert, but the North American Sprints have been run this way for many years, IIRC.

KJ3N
09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Tried it last year. Never again, at least until I get a kW :D

The sprint, or contests in general?

W2NAP
09-16-2012, 04:38 PM
only contest ive set out to really work was the DE QSO party some months back. course i was limited to just 20m

but back when i had HF id scroll around and give people points during a contest.

KC9ECI
09-16-2012, 04:54 PM
I worked a bit of the sprint QRP from a picnic table at a State park for a bit. Good times!

KA9MOT
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah, that's a little different.

yeah, it was 2 AM and I was setting here, tired, half blind with high sugar (513) and waiting for the extra shot of insulin to work and praying it would when I typed that post. The funny part is, I proof read it twice......

KA9MOT
09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I worked a bit of the sprint QRP from a picnic table at a State park for a bit. Good times!

A Sprint type contest would be awesome for a QRPer. Especially one operating portable!

KC9ECI
09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
A Sprint type contest would be awesome for a QRPer. Especially one operating portable!

Honestly, the bottle of vodka was doing most of the heavy lifting, and the campfire was doing the rest.

KG4NEL
09-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Unless you're on 75 meters next to a bunch of guys with rusted VFOs. :lol: