PDA

View Full Version : All your buzz are belong to me!

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Point A) Swedish people can not make hot-dogs.

Ahora: A photo of me playing white hat. 10 points to the one that guesses what is on my head.

Posted this on FB and my dad got it right away. He is a party pooper.

ki4itv
09-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Go kit Pasta strainer? :chin:

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Go kit Pasta strainer? :chin:

Close enough. I call it a colander.

Now, can you guess where I came from by the comments in line one? No, not that bar, before that.

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Bet it has something to do with meatballs.

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Bet it has something to do with meatballs.

Not for me. However, it has a lot to do with cheaply made furniture. I did get a decent knife set on sale though. They normally run about 59$ but it was on sale for 9€. They are not top grade but they will do for the next six months that I will be here.

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Hot dogs and Ikea? Hmmm.

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Hot dogs and Ikea? Hmmm.

Yeah, they have a food court. Thing is, we left after lunch time and I had not eaten since the day before. Problem is that this is Spain and it was between lunch and dinner so there was nowhere to get food. So I decided to give it a go. A waste of 50 cents.

On another note, Ikea sells their own brand of beer. I was not brave enough to buy it. :D

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:23 PM
But lets dissect my time there. I overpaid for Chinese made junk, marketed by Swed's, in Spain, sold by Brits. End result is a happy wife, I win.

In the states I would have made it myself as I have a workshop, but Im not in the states. Granted, I would have spent more making it BUT it would have been done right and would last much longer.

That aside, it was a fun day and I did not spend a lot of money. The stuff only needs to last six months, it will do that at the very least.

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 04:27 PM
We've got a "new" Ikea store here in Denver.

I'm saving that for retirement. :yes:

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:30 PM

Your money would be better invested in a home wood shop.

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Your money would be better invested in a home wood shop.

Never said I was going to buy anything. :rofl:

KB3LAZ
09-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Never said I was going to buy anything. :rofl:

I have a hell of a workshop in the US, best thing I could invest in. I made my mom a nice coffee table, a nice kitchen table, etc. :) It took up most of the winter to make her items for the kitchen but it kept me busy.

I mean, the only time a man is happier than playing with his wood is when a woman will play with his wood for him.

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 04:54 PM
I have a hell of a workshop in the US, best thing I could invest in. I made my mom a nice coffee table, a nice kitchen table, etc. :) It took up most of the winter to make her items for the kitchen but it kept me busy.

I've got a good long-time pal at work who is way into the woodworking. Trained to be a shop teacher way back (until he discovered it was a poor way to make a living). The guy has a full wood shop in his basement and all his furniture is "home" made. Top grade custom stuff. He's now looking forward to his kids leaving so he can give some of it to them (so he can make MORE). Absolutely loves the building part and has about 35 years of experience now. Really knows his schidt.

I asked him why he didn't do that for a living, and got the usual serious hobbiest reply. He recently bought $500 worth of materials and spent 6 months of spare time turning it into a credenza that might sell for $1800 on a good day.

I love woodworking (not that good at it) -- it'd make an excellent retirement hobby, but as you suggest, you'd have to be set up for it. Last real woodworking project here was a trundle bed for the grandkids about 5 years ago (built from some free plans from Lowe's). Not perfect, but enjoyable work.

WØTKX
09-15-2012, 06:03 PM

Went there a few weeks after it opened. It was fun, didn't spend a lot.

I was smart enough to have the Swedish meatballs tho, ya Pastafarian Vampire. :stickpoke:

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Went there a few weeks after it opened. It was fun, didn't spend a lot.

I was smart enough to have the Swedish meatballs tho, ya Pastafarian Vampire. :stickpoke:

Lolwut? You ATE there? Man... I'm still dying for a Home Depot sausage, but every time I'm there, it seems like I'm in a rush to get out. :lol:

WØTKX
09-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Costco has decent cheap hot dogs, with kraut!

KG4CGC
09-15-2012, 08:18 PM
♫ I'm, a lumberjack and I'm OKaaay ♪

kf0rt
09-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Costco has decent cheap hot dogs, with kraut!

We buy a lot of Hebrew National there. I've never eaten at their "food court" though. Word has it that you can stay in the store all day and never go hungry, though. ;)

N2NH
09-16-2012, 05:41 AM
We buy a lot of Hebrew National there. I've never eaten at their "food court" though. Word has it that you can stay in the store all day and never go hungry, though. ;)

As a kid I used to eat a lot of Hebrew National, but now I get Sabrett, Nathan's and Boar's Head - whichever is on sale. They're all very good. I haven't seen Boar's Head since I've been here though.

HUGH
09-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Haven't been to Ikea for a long time so I didn't realise they had some food outlets. Those huge queues of people trying to get in their carparks at weekends have to nourished somehow.

On the other note, on trying to rework some Ikea bits and pieces I've been given, the wood seems to be over-dried in the kiln and it just goes all splintery. It mostly ends up as kindling wood. I buy softwood locally and keep it in a shed for a year before any machining.