PDA

View Full Version : So, Whats wrong with this picture?

KB3LAZ
09-13-2012, 05:52 AM
In the literal sense.

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1016051

You should figure it out rather quickly.

kf0rt
09-13-2012, 06:36 AM
An Omni VI is not a Paragon?

N8YX
09-13-2012, 06:44 AM

Not even a Paragon II. (Man, I love that era of Ten-Tec stuff.)

kf0rt
09-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Not even a Paragon II. (Man, I love that era of Ten-Tec stuff.)

Must admit. That's a niiiice lookin' rig.

N8YX
09-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Must admit. That's a niiiice lookin' rig.

Darn nice working, too. The Paragon offered a few features which the Omni V/VI didn't and vice versa. One should get both. :yes:

KB3LAZ
09-13-2012, 06:57 AM

Yes. Now, Ill give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake but it just amused me. Then again...last week there was a Corsair for sale and the picture was of a deer. :P

That aside. There is also a Omni VI+ listed a few pages back, loaded out and with the PSU/Speaker for a few $$ less as a package deal. In fact there are more than a few Omni VI+ and opt 3s for sale atm. They sure seem to hold their value though. Provided they are loaded. It would seem that loaded they tend to go for 1000-1300$. With no extra filters the do tend to span quite a bit from 650-1000$.

Lol, at first I thought I read it wrong. When I saw the picture, I was thinking, are you high? :P

KB3LAZ
09-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Darn nice working, too. The Paragon offered a few features which the Omni V/VI didn't and vice versa. One should get both. :yes:

I have grown quite a taste for the Corsair. Shame, I missed out on it but there was a deal on the zed; Corsair, PS/Speaker, and VFO for just under 400$. All units looked as new. The same fellow had the 229(I think is the number) tuner for sale at 125$. I know I wanted to wait till I got back to make a deal but Id have scarfed that up had I caught it in time.

W3WN
09-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Can you say "Epic Fail" ??

Let's give the poor soul the benefit of the doubt and presume he accidentally posted the wrong picture. Otherwise...

WØTKX
09-13-2012, 10:07 AM
:sarcasm: :lol:

On a closer look, the rig looks like it's transmitting CW, check out the meter.

And set to a pretty wide filter for CW. Still think the original Corsair is sexier.

N8YX
09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
:sarcasm: :lol:

On a closer look, the rig looks like it's transmitting CW, check out the meter.

And set to a pretty wide filter for CW. Still think the original Corsair is sexier.
Is it capable of dual receive when used with the external VFO as the Corsair II can be operated?

WØTKX
09-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I have not tried it with mine, but I've heard it's true. Works well on my Omni D's, the same VFO.

Very slick.

N8YX
09-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Slick, indeed. One wonders if this could be implemented on other rigs...

KG4CGC
09-13-2012, 01:37 PM
I have grown quite a taste for the Corsair. Shame, I missed out on it but there was a deal on the zed; Corsair, PS/Speaker, and VFO for just under 400$. All units looked as new. The same fellow had the 229(I think is the number) tuner for sale at 125$. I know I wanted to wait till I got back to make a deal but Id have scarfed that up had I caught it in time.

Did it have all the factory filters?

KB3LAZ
09-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Did it have all the factory filters?

I dont know. The ad did not say. Either way, under 400$ for the Corsair, VFO, and PS/Speaker is a nice deal, I think. I see the VFO and PS go on ebay for over 100$ frequently. :)

IIRC, you have a Corsair, no?

KG4CGC
09-13-2012, 06:51 PM
I dont know. The ad did not say. Either way, under 400$ for the Corsair, VFO, and PS/Speaker is a nice deal, I think. I see the VFO and PS go on ebay for over 100$ frequently. :)

IIRC, you have a Corsair, no?

Oui. Avec tous les filtres installés en usine.

WØTKX
09-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Mine has the filters, plus speaker power supply and a Heathkit grid dip meter as a bonus.

Snagged it for $350 including shipping from upstate NY. :yes:

KB3LAZ
09-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Oui. Avec tous les filtres installés en usine.

Good, good. Though, Id only use the 2.4. :P Im a ragchewer. :D

N8YX
09-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Of course, there's a nice Omni V + PSU for sale on Eham at the moment...from a VE-lander.

I've been burned twice by clueless shippers from north of the border. At this point in time I don't care if the guy is shipping something as unbreakable as an anvil...I'm simply not going to chance it.

WØTKX
09-13-2012, 08:55 PM
I've done OK with Canada hams. That's where my moderately rare Ten Tec Delta II came from.

KB3LAZ
09-14-2012, 04:33 AM
Since we are on the subject. I have done my research long and hard on the subject and it seems to me that the Corsair and Corsair II give very similar reports when it comes to receiver ability and audio intelligibility. That there are minor differences and those differences have been explained to me by hams here. It would seem that for my use that one model vs the other is not important. Also, they are a very reasonably priced rig for their reputation. Since it is also analog I have been told that my ears will thank me when I do a lot of listening.

So my intended use for a corsair when I get one is 10m/75m barefoot dedicated. As well as backup to what will be my main station. Of which after countless hours of comparison I have finally made a rock solid decision on. :D That will be disclosed when I get it, with photos ofc. It will be another 5 months before I do so, though. :D Money is ready and waiting for me to spend.

The good news is that I should be setup for 2m-160 when I get home. Before I had 70/2/6/10/20/40/80/160. So I was excluding 12/15/17/30. Idk if I will do 60 but thats not really a worry. So, I will be losing 70cm but gaining 12-30. :) I have never really used 70cm much as it is.

This time around I will have both Vertical and Horizontal polarization whereas before I only had Horizontal. 6-160 will be 500w (excluding 60m ofc).

I really look forward to starting from scratch and starting up a new shack once back in the states.

KB3LAZ
09-14-2012, 04:36 AM
Lol, did one of yall PM him? Photo fixed. :) Looks to be in nice shape too.

KB3LAZ
09-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Oh, Mr.Barkeep, I contacted the seller out of curiosity and he had two stations for sale both of which sold. Also, both sets sold as an entire station. He sold set A for 600$. That is Corsair with vfo, PS/Speaker, and tuner. That unit had the 2.4, 1.8, and .5 filters installed. The other station was the same but with only the 2.4 filter and sold for 375$. Even with only one filter that seems like a deal to me. The tuner seems to go for around 150-220$ by itself. The rig without filters for another 350. The vfo from 100-150 and the PS from 60-120.

Given the choice I would always go with the loaded one but I would sure not stray away from the other deal because of the price tag. Those damn VFO's seem to only come up once in a blue moon.

I have noticed that the Corsair II on average tends to go for about 150$ more. I suppose not a butt load more. For some reason I just like the way the first Corsair looks better. :P

I dont really work split or contest all that often but I would still like to put the VFO inline once I get home and pick up this setup. If for no other reason than to complete it. xD

W3WN
09-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Of course, there's a nice Omni V + PSU for sale on Eham at the moment...from a VE-lander.

I've been burned twice by clueless shippers from north of the border. At this point in time I don't care if the guy is shipping something as unbreakable as an anvil...I'm simply not going to chance it.Do you really want an Omni V? I know of one that's for sale.

W3WN
09-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Oh, Mr.Barkeep, I contacted the seller out of curiosity and he had two stations for sale both of which sold. Also, both sets sold as an entire station. He sold set A for 600$. That is Corsair with vfo, PS/Speaker, and tuner. That unit had the 2.4, 1.8, and .5 filters installed. The other station was the same but with only the 2.4 filter and sold for 375$. Even with only one filter that seems like a deal to me. The tuner seems to go for around 150-220$ by itself. The rig without filters for another 350. The vfo from 100-150 and the PS from 60-120.

Given the choice I would always go with the loaded one but I would sure not stray away from the other deal because of the price tag. Those damn VFO's seem to only come up once in a blue moon.

I have noticed that the Corsair II on average tends to go for about 150$ more. I suppose not a butt load more. For some reason I just like the way the first Corsair looks better. :P

I dont really work split or contest all that often but I would still like to put the VFO inline once I get home and pick up this setup. If for no other reason than to complete it. xD
Aesthetically, I always preferred the darker grey of the Corsair to the lighter grey of the Corsair II.

Functionally, with one notable exception, I've never noticed a significant difference in operating them. The II having the built-in keyer is a nice convenience. That said, if I had to chose between the two, I would not spend the extra $150 to get the built in keyer, nice as it is.

Now one of these days, I do have to find another Remote VFO & PS. The ones I have are in the color of the original, and it just looks funny with my II.

KG4CGC
09-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah. I'm not as cool as y'all. I'm using that gigantabus MFJ linear PS with the meters and an MFJ-948 tuner and the Heil GM-5 mic. Then I had to build out the connector to power it and find the correct relay. They relay works damn fine.

N8YX
09-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Do you really want an Omni V? I know of one that's for sale.
An unbutchered, clean, filtered example with the upgrade firmware? Yes.

KB3LAZ
09-14-2012, 02:32 PM
An unbutchered, clean, filtered example with the upgrade firmware? Yes.

How ever will you eat it? Unbutchered, preposterous. Err..what were we talking about again? Ham, correct? :D

N8YX
10-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Bump.

I loves my Omni V. :yes:

There is no RIT - one must use the A/B VFO "Split" function for that - but the squelch is all-mode. And it has a wonderful receiver; the best of the Omni VI's features combined with that of the Paragon's.

One of these days I'll lay my mitts on a Corsair II - have the remote VFO for it ready and waiting.

KB3LAZ
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Bump.

There is no RIT - one must use the A/B VFO "Split" function for that - but the squelch is all-mode. And it has a wonderful receiver; the best of the Omni VI's features combined with that of the Paragon's.

One of these days I'll lay my mitts on a Corsair II - have the remote VFO for it ready and waiting.

Glad to hear that you enjoy your new rig. It would seem that you are really digging the TT scene.

N8YX
10-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Glad to hear that you enjoy your new rig. It would seem that you are really digging the TT scene.
Got another (homebrew) ace up my sleeve in the form of the Yaesu FT-301. A nice, simplistic, decent performer which - muwhahahahaha! - can be mutated into something quite interesting. Pix and info when I get this project a little further along.

I like the TT gear and it's used quite a bit. Just wish I had room to set all of this stuff up.

KB3LAZ
10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Got another (homebrew) ace up my sleeve in the form of the Yaesu FT-301. A nice, simplistic, decent performer which - muwhahahahaha! - can be mutated into something quite interesting. Pix and info when I get this project a little further along.

I like the TT gear and it's used quite a bit. Just wish I had room to set all of this stuff up.

I enjoyed my 301.

KB3LAZ
10-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Bump.

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1023206

Here is one that I came across while window shopping.

NQ6U
10-18-2012, 09:49 PM

Been digging that TR-7, Fred. It's the only HF radio I've used since it arrived.

N8YX
10-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Been digging that TR-7, Fred. It's the only HF radio I've used since it arrived.
I'm glad you like it. The rig was part of a bundle of Drake gear I bought around Christmas time in 2006...and was in dire need of help. No transmit and its receiver was a mite anemic; no filters or noise blanker included either.

Over time I fixed it and added all the options which a TR7 ought to have if run in true "multimode" operation. That's the cool thing about those radios: You can set them up according to your favorite mode. Thus, filters of various bandwidths for CW, SSB or RTTY can be installed.

One of my remaining TR7s has 1KHz/500Hz/300Hz filters for operating 850/425/170Hz-shift AFSK. Another has 2.3/1.8KHz and 500/300Hz filters for SSB/CW operation. The companion R7s are also fitted with filters dictated by their intended use. One is employed for SWBC listening and has 8/6/4/2.3/1.8KHz B/W options while another has 2.3/1.8/1KHz and 500/300Hz. The former is used a lot with a TR-7 when running AM and the latter for SSB/CW/RTTY.

Plans are to equip the four rigs I'll keep with the N4YG DDS unit. The only thing missing at that point is computer control and FM but I have the Ten-Tecs, Icoms and FT-980s for that.

N8YX
12-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Another bump.

Connected the Omni V, 961 (PSU) and 253 auto-tuner together after putting them on the top shelf of the gear table. The guy who sold the 253 to me also included the "Y" cable for connection to a Hercules II. Or in the case of the Omni series, attachment to a 301 remote tuning encoder.

If one uses a 6ft DB25-DB25 cable as an extension between the "Y" and the 301, one can position the encoder on the operating desk and tune the rig with it. Presetting the auto-tuner for each of the desired bands (17/15/12/10) means band changes are as easy as hitting one key. Output power adjustments don't need to be touched once set, and if one runs an Omni VI in the spot, one gets band-stacking registers (which include filter settings) to boot.

This is going to come in very handy when I build and install a set of band pass filters at each of the operating positions then run the setup as multi-multi...