PDA

View Full Version : NCDXA?

KJ3N
09-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Other than they run the W3 QSL bureau, is there any benefit to joining? I ask because attached to the back of one of the QSL cards I received was an invitation to join.

I'm just not a joiner in general, but if anyone here is a member, I'd like to know why you are.

W3WN
09-12-2012, 08:58 PM
They just had a "DXCC East" one day mini-convention; I'm told it's a revival of something that they used to do years ago. Don't know how well it turned out; couldn't go, my in-laws were having their 55th wedding anniversary, and my presence was expected mandatory compulsory requested by my wife.

Other than that, the buro, and some sponsorships of some DXpeditions & some contest awards here & there though, I don't know much about them.

You could ask Fred K3ZO. Expect a sales pitch if you do.

KJ3N
09-12-2012, 09:33 PM
They just had a "DXCC East" one day mini-convention; I'm told it's a revival of something that they used to do years ago. Don't know how well it turned out; couldn't go, my in-laws were having their 55th wedding anniversary, and my presence was expected mandatory compulsory requested by my wife.

Other than that, the buro, and some sponsorships of some DXpeditions & some contest awards here & there though, I don't know much about them.

You could ask Fred K3ZO. Expect a sales pitch if you do.

I hate sales pitches. Probably stems from the fact that I'm such a cynical bastid. I couldn't stand HS or company pep rallies, either. Team Building exercises always made me want to puke as well.

I also quit a retail sales job late last year because I came to loathe the customer base and recent management changes became intolerable.

W3WN
09-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, the invite might have just been an envelope stuffer. If I ever get a buro envelope again (it's been a LONG time) I'll let you know.

KJ3N
09-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Well, the invite might have just been an envelope stuffer.

That's what I figure as well.

If I ever get a buro envelope again (it's been a LONG time) I'll let you know.

I've gotten them on and off. This was the first time I remember seeing this little "advert" tacked on. It also shows how many envelopes you have remaining at the bureau. That may be the other reason I got it. Apparently, I'm up to 9. I had just sent in about 4 a week ago.

W3WN
09-14-2012, 07:39 AM
After NCDXA took over the W3 bureau, I was getting an envelope every few months. Some to WN3VAW, some to W3WN.

Then a couple of things happened. First, the "A" sorter had a falling out with K3ZO. Exactly what I don't know. In fact, exactly what HE don't know... the "A" sorter was my friend Mike K3AIR. I got wind of this when Fred asked me to forward some information to Mike...

Then Fred informed me that to save me time & envelopes, they were going to internally forward any incoming WN3VAW cards from the "V" sorter to the "W" sorter. So I'd get everything in one envelope. That actually was an improvement, for awhile. But what bothered me was that all the incoming 'VAW cards now had "via W3WN" written on them, in a thick black Sharpie. I really didn't like that, and I don't like seeing cards altered period. So I asked if that could not be done; I really didn't mind sending a few extra envelopes, so I didn't think it would be a hassle. Well, I got a less than friendly & slightly sarcastic note back from him, telling me from now on, Post-It notes would be used.

I haven't seen a bureau envelope since.