PDA

View Full Version : ddrescue To The Rescue !!

n2ize
09-10-2012, 02:32 AM
I ran into a problem. I need the studio tracks to a music recording session. A while back I had them transcribed from multitrack tapes onto digital media. The result was a DVD with a separate folder for each sone and in each folder a .wav file for each track. The DVD sat around for a couple years and now that I suddenly need it it is nowhere to be found. I did however find a copy (dupe) of the original DVD but unfortunately it was badly scratched and I could not read any of the files using regular programs.

In comes GNU "ddrescue", a powerful tool for salvaging data from dead hard drives, scratched and damaged dvd's, ancient floppy disks, etc. "ddescue" runs from the command line but has a large number of options for specifying block sizes, number of passes/reads, error splitting, etc. So far I have salvaged 7 of the.wav files. :clap:. So far I am liking this program. And it may end up saving the day. I still have a lot more files to rescue.

You can salvage by specifying the name of the file you want to rescue... assuming the device can be mounted and read, or by device, for example /dev/sda, /dev/hda. etc/ So to salvage a dead hard drive to a different drive you might do something like

$ ddrescue [-options] /dev/sda /dev/sdb logfile

ddrescue also has a lot of powerful features not found on other similar programs. It can be stopped and later restarted and will pick up where it left off (provided you use a logfile), if you have multiple copies of a file on several damaged devices you can run ddrescue on each device and it will merge everything into one file usually resulting in the entire file being 100% rescued, ypou can run it multiple times on the same input and output, etc.

If you don't already have it it is a good forensic utility to have in your "toolbox". You never know when it may come to the rescue.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

n6hcm
09-10-2012, 03:19 AM
want more power or flexibility? use dd directly (and yes, work carefully ... )

n2ize
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
want more power or flexibility? use dd directly (and yes, work carefully ... )
If you are good with dd you can do almost anything. dd is probably the single and most powerful readily available too for moving, imaging, or rescuing data. ddrescue makes life a bit easier. But I agree, if ddrescue fails and you need the extra flexibility and oomph going straight with dd is the way to go.

(and yes, work carefully ... )

Yes... that cannot be over emphasized. Last thing you need is to wipe out important data.