PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Discover Linux ?

n2ize
09-08-2012, 03:37 PM
For me it was around 1995. I had a new computer on order, a 166 mhz pentium to replace my old IBM PC XT and I was browsing the O'reilly books in a bookstore and came across a book called "Running Linux". I started reading it and I found it interesting. A multitasking, multiuser Unix-like clone. It reminded me of the systems I used in academia. It came with 2 discs. So, I bought it. When I got my new Pentium I partitioned the 2 Gb Windows drive and installed Linux. It was an early 1.x kernel. It was crude, primitive, needed a lot of recompilation and reconfigs and it was nerdy/geeky as hell. But I liked it better than Windows 95. I've been using it ever since and loving it even more these days.

NQ6U
09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Someone left it in a basket on my doorstep with a note pinned to it asking me to take care of it.

WØTKX
09-08-2012, 07:12 PM
1985, I had a loaner Unix PC for almost two years from my employer.

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/att-unix-pc-right.jpg

NY4Q
09-09-2012, 06:32 AM
I don't remember the year, but I'd heard about it from a buddy at GA Tech. I found a BBS that had Slackware ver 1.0 in the downloads list and although it took me nearly a month to download the floppy set, I kept on and installed it, and never looked back. I've used it at every place I've worked since then.

ad4mg
09-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Windows ME is how I found Linux (Slackware). XP almost dragged me back, but then I found Ubuntu Linux. Started with ver 7.10 and never looked back.

NM5TF
09-15-2012, 07:33 PM
was introduced to Unix over the years at different jobs.....

bought a new Dell desktop in 2007....came with Win Vista installed ( tried to get Win XP,
but Dell is in bed with MS so no choice of OS).....struggled with Vista for almost 9 months
until it finally got to the point of not booting without dreaded BSOD.....

wiped HDD clean & installed Ubuntu ( don't remember distro, but most likely 8.10 ) in 2008
and have been a friend of the Penguin ever since.....love it!!!!

WØTKX
09-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Have had better luck with Windows than most it seems. The last time I used Linux a bunch for personal use was about 7 or 8 years ago.

These days, I use a Flex 3000, so I stick with it. But I do know how to smack Windows around, instead of just blaming "Bill the Gates".

The hive doesn't give me the hives. :dunno:

n6hcm
09-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Have had better luck with Windows than most it seems.

thing about windows ... i came to it after UNIX, and knowing UNIX made it easier to use windows. i've never had significant problems with windows that i couldn't resolve. i still prefer contemporary linux to windows, but i can make them both work ...

WØTKX
09-16-2012, 12:53 AM
True dat. And yes, I did do Unix before Windows. Well Xenix in my case.
My outdated SysAdmin Certification was for freaking Apollo Domain. ;)

And before that, we used to "PIP" our files. Aaaaaand, we liked it!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xb9Y-7y3mkw/TsHjecshbHI/AAAAAAAAASA/GEYEhr1DCJ4/s400/Grumpy%2Bold%2Bman.jpg

W2NAP
09-16-2012, 11:28 AM
someone handed me a debian disk back in 2000'ish played around with it liked it but it was kinda rough but stuck with it. then in 04 came ubuntu. ran that till Freespire showed up then freespire died and moved over to linux mint..distro hopped a bit then linux mint came out with the linux mint debian edition.

started with debian and after all the distro hopping im back to debian

W4GPL
09-16-2012, 01:56 PM
I worked at an ISP when I was 15 minutes years old. The Linux server was something 'we shouldn't touch'.. one day it broke and that's when I became the Linux exspurt.

n2ize
09-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Before Linux my "computing world" was primarily with the DEC systems PDP-11, Dec 20 / TOPS20. Vax and Vax/VMS. Mainly used these systems for my undergrad and grad work but in the process I became very familiar with the underlying systems and operating systems. So much so that when i was in the computer room students and professors would often interrupt me to ask "how do I do this... that... etc ??". When I n o longer had working accounts on those systems I started playing around with IBM PC XT/AT systems running MsDOS and was never too happy with them. After a brief time with WINDOWS I found Linux as described above and haven't looked back since.

NY4Q
09-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Before Linux my "computing world" was primarily with the DEC systems PDP-11, Dec 20 / TOPS20. Vax and Vax/VMS

I worked for a defense contractor and was the support dude for PDP-11 / PDP-8e, etc. Pretty cool stuff really.

KC2UGV
09-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Like Jeff, Windows Me introduced me to Linux. I've been playing with UNIX however, since my Buffalo Freenet "internship".