PDA

View Full Version : Reports of a tornado in NYC

W5GA
09-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Holy crap! You guys back there ok?
http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/09/08/fdny-responds-to-possible-tornado-in-nyc/

PA5COR
09-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Weird weather..... stay safe peeps..

n2ize
09-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Holy crap! You guys back there ok?
http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/09/08/fdny-responds-to-possible-tornado-in-nyc/

From what I heard it was mostly over water. However, there was some property damage and other stuff, i.e. patio furniture, debris, etc. thrown around. So far I haven't heard about any injuries or death. But the entire area is under a tornado watch and severe thunderstorm watch.

BTW the strong cold front that is bringing in this weather is supposed to cool your area down considerably. After this front passes we are supposed to get cooler drier weather too with highs only in the 70's and low 50's at night. That's gonna feel like winter after all this heat and humidity. This has been a long and vbrutal summer with constant high heat and humidity and severe weather. And apparently it ain't through yet.

n2ize
09-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Weird weather..... stay safe peeps..
At one time it was weird. As a child the thought of a tornado in NYC seemed crazy. Now it seems to be more normal than weird.

ki4itv
09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Gee, I wonder what has changed...other than my own understanding of the carbon cycle?

PA5COR
09-08-2012, 01:32 PM
We're more North as NY but we get the occasional F1 or F2 tornado's here, not very much, but we do get them.
Waterspouts are quite common over our greater lakes and near the coast though, they also can be dangerous.

Weather and it's effects are changing things, i'm wondering how far...

NQ6U
09-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Not to worry, Doug, that tornado was a tourist from Oklahoma in NYC just to see the tall buildings.

W5GA
09-08-2012, 02:44 PM
BTW the strong cold front that is bringing in this weather is supposed to cool your area down considerably. After this front passes we are supposed to get cooler drier weather too with highs only in the 70's and low 50's at night. That's gonna feel like winter after all this heat and humidity. This has been a long and vbrutal summer with constant high heat and humidity and severe weather. And apparently it ain't through yet.
It came through here last night. We had a 30 degree temperature drop in about 15 minutes....right at 100F about 4pm yesterday, then down to the low 70's. It was 55F this morning when I got up.
Glad you're ok!

n2ize
09-08-2012, 03:08 PM
It came through here last night. We had a 30 degree temperature drop in about 15 minutes....right at 100F about 4pm yesterday, then down to the low 70's. It was 55F this morning when I got up.
Glad you're ok!

Well, we're ok for now. Radar shows a massive line of storms a few hours away and the tornado watch is still on till 9:00 pm. Right now its so damned humid out there it's incredible. You step into an non-air conditioned room and you just drip sweat.

kb2vxa
09-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Lizann Maher, a worker at Kennedy's Restaurant at the edge of Jamaica Bay, said she saw a "swirling cone kind of thing with something flying in it" come down and then head back out into the water toward Brooklyn.

That was Dorothy waving as she went by. I didn't see anything about a tornado watch but we're under a severe storm watch until 10:00pm. Yeah, comin' atcha!

n2ize
09-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Dark clouds, very strong gusts, and thunder rolling in here now. Radar shows a thick line of heavy storms coming across. Rain is coming down in sheets.

N2NH
09-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Impressive. I used to live in the South-west corner of Brooklyn, about 10 miles from where this hit. We had a tornado come through a few years back and it ripped up houses for about 4 miles. Breezy Point is a very affluent section of Queens so the damage will probably be expensive even if it's a minor tornado.

Something is changing. I never heard of a tornado in NYC until the late 70s. Earthquakes yes, but not tornadoes.

n2ize
09-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Impressive. I used to live in the South-west corner of Brooklyn, about 10 miles from where this hit. We had a tornado come through a few years back and it ripped up houses for about 4 miles. Breezy Point is a very affluent section of Queens so the damage will probably be expensive even if it's a minor tornado.

Something is changing. I never heard of a tornado in NYC until the late 70s. Earthquakes yes, but not tornadoes.

I lived in Brooklyn as a child in the 60's. Tornadoes and extremely severe thunderstorms were common in Brooklyn. I remember power lines ripped down and lightning striking nearby several times each summer. One time the power company didn't even fix it because more storms were called for over the next couple days. And the Northwest winds of winter were worst in Brooklyn than anywhere I have ever lived. Not to mention the severe blizzards that followed.

Doppler radar shows the heavy stuff is right over our heads yet there is no thunder, light rain and now very mild wind gusts. So, who knows...

W5GA
09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Dark clouds, very strong gusts, and thunder rolling in here now. Radar shows a thick line of heavy storms coming across. Rain is coming down in sheets.
That's ok, sheets do less damage than buckets.

n2ize
09-08-2012, 09:20 PM
The weather basically fagged out over here. I heard more thunder yesterday than today, I was geared for the worst but basically the storms rolled in, we got hit with some heavy showers but no winds, no lightening, no thunder. The big difference is that its much cooler now. Down to 64 deg. And tomorrow should only be in the upper 70's/low 80's and are supposed to stay that way until temps and humidity start to rebound during the middle to end of next week.

n2ize
09-08-2012, 09:23 PM
The worst is when it rains "dogs and cats"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0BuvID10bgY/TFXvhG1qBFI/AAAAAAAACps/TROGCnbeVcs/s1600/raining-cats-dogs-776852.jpg

kb2vxa
09-08-2012, 11:57 PM
"And the Northwest winds of winter were worst in Brooklyn than anywhere I have ever lived."

You never lived at the Jersey Shore where our nor'easters are legendary. Right up the street at the Manasquan Inlet is our Fisherman's Memorial that tells the story, every town with a fishing fleet has one.

N2NH
09-09-2012, 02:53 AM
I do know that the winds in Bay Ridge/Fort Hamilton are some of the strongest I've ever felt. Especially on the bike path down by the Belt Parkway. Those winds arrive there unimpeded from Europe and Africa and carry a heck of a wallop. They blow 24/7 all year long rain or shine. Between the dock and Gravesend Bay they rarely let up even for a second.

I felt that Nor'easters were worse in Upper Manhattan than they were in Brooklyn though. The rain came in sideways and winds were sometimes up to 80 MPH. Well, I'm not on the coast anymore so those weather problems will not affect me. OTOH, being in the foothills, I've been told that snow storms are going to take on a whole new dimension.

n2ize
09-09-2012, 03:18 AM
I do know that the winds in Bay Ridge/Fort Hamilton are some of the strongest I've ever felt. Especially on the bike path down by the Belt Parkway. Those winds arrive there unimpeded from Europe and Africa and carry a heck of a wallop. They blow 24/7 all year long rain or shine. Between the dock and Gravesend Bay they rarely let up even for a second.

I'm familiar with those winds. I was literally knocked over by them. They mainly blow off the African coast and pick up speed over the Atlantic and slam straight into Brooklyn sometimes reaching sustained speeds in excess of 80 mph.

I felt that Nor'easters were worse in Upper Manhattan than they were in Brooklyn though. The rain came in sideways and winds were sometimes up to 80 MPH.

No place gets his as bad by Nor'easters as the mid and upper Manhattan area. I've felt winds from nor'easters in that area that had to be blowing in excess of 100 mph and capable of overturning cars.

Well, I'm not on the coast anymore so those weather problems will not affect me.

Don't be too sure. You are not all that far north and the nor'easter of December 1992 carved a path of heavy rain, snow and destruction clear up to Albany. Manhattan was flooded, winds blew in excess of 120 mph, coastal areas were wiped out and it lasted for 2 - 3 days before it finally cleared out of the area.

OTOH, being in the foothills, I've been told that snow storms are going to take on a whole new dimension.
Oh boy, you are in for some snow man. Big snow and frequent snow.

n2ize
09-09-2012, 03:27 AM
"And the Northwest winds of winter were worst in Brooklyn than anywhere I have ever lived."

You never lived at the Jersey Shore where our nor'easters are legendary. Right up the street at the Manasquan Inlet is our Fisherman's Memorial that tells the story, every town with a fishing fleet has one.
I'm not speaking of nor'easters. I am talking about the Northwest winds of winter that often bring forth arctic air. Often those winds occur in sunny clear weather. My current area gets pummeled by them. But when I lived in Brooklyn they were at least ten times worst. Often arriving in late December, January, and into Febuary they would blast into Brooklyn at speeds of 70-80 mph or higher carrying with them subfreezing arctic temperatures that would not only bring the outdoor temps below zero but would knock the indoor temps way down in the century old drafty row houses that lined my street. Not to mention the heavy snows that would fall days later when the warm moist air clashed with the cold arctic air over Brooklyn. I remember many a nights as a child wrapped in blankets with a heater nearby, trying to sleep as the bitter frigid northwest winds howled and shreiked and rattled the ancient rooftops, walls, and windows and blew through the frigid drafty corridors of East New York.

N7YA
09-10-2012, 06:16 AM
The weather basically fagged out over here.

So the weather is back to being fabulous?

n2ize
09-10-2012, 01:35 PM
So the weather is back to being fabulous?
First night and day so far that I don't need an air conditioner. Temps are supposed to go down to 48 tonight. Humidity down to 46% right now. I haven't broken a sweat yet today. All in all I would say that compared to the last 3-4 months that's pretty fabulous.

kb2vxa
09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Not for long, in your neck of the woods come Wednesday it's back to normal for this time of year, low 80s by day and low 60s by night with clear skies through Friday night. Well, at least I wouldn't take that for gospel. Don't light that cigar just yet, I haven't heard a peep out of the fat lady.

n2ize
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Not for long, in your neck of the woods come Wednesday it's back to normal for this time of year, low 80s by day and low 60s by night with clear skies through Friday night. Well, at least I wouldn't take that for gospel. Don't light that cigar just yet, I haven't heard a peep out of the fat lady.

Oh, I expect the uncomfortable hot & humid garbage to be with us into November. It will probably be warm and very humid right through the winter into next summer. I expect hot + humid to be the new year round normal. No getting away from this garbage anymore.

N2NH
09-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Oh, I expect the uncomfortable hot & humid garbage to be with us into November. It will probably be warm and very humid right through the winter into next summer. I expect hot + humid to be the new year round normal. No getting away from this garbage anymore.

It's forecast to be in the low 40s tonight with frost warnings for bridges (which freeze first) and crops. We're a bit lower than what the thermometer shows being about 900 feet up in the foothills of the Catskills. The high Monday was 69º.

kb2vxa
09-12-2012, 12:59 AM
"I expect hot + humid to be the new year round normal."

Global warming is good for you. Not so good for the French when they found wine grapes growing in England. Every year come October I make a decision, whether to remove the AC from the window or leave it until the 15th. There have been years when I've regretted the decision whichever it was.

La tempo è mobile.
Qual piuma al vento,
muta d'accento
e di pensiero.

Sounds better listening to Rigoletto.

W5GA
09-12-2012, 01:35 AM
"I expect hot + humid to be the new year round normal."

Global warming is good for you. Not so good for the French when they found wine grapes growing in England. Every year come October I make a decision, whether to remove the AC from the window or leave it until the 15th. There have been years when I've regretted the decision whichever it was.

La tempo è mobile.
Qual piuma al vento,
muta d'accento
e di pensiero.

Sounds better listening to Rigoletto.
We do the same thing here with flannel sheets, but usually not till December.